PDA

View Full Version : Good games you just don't like

Roto13
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
What games can you acknowledge are most likely good games, but just aren't for you.

See, if you don't like Halo or Zelda or Final Fantasy VIII/IX/X, there's an incredibly strong possibility that it's more due to your own personal tastes than the idea that everyone in the world is wrong but you.

The first person to use the word "overrated" gets banned. I will hack into this forum and ban you myself.

For me the biggest examples are probably the Gran Turismo games. I guess I just don't like realistic racing games. After that, I guess it would be Castlevania and Metroid. There's something about side scrolling adventure games like those that drives me up the wall. I prefer Castlevania to Metroid, because at least I like the music and ambiance of Castlevania.

Rocket Edge
03-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Metal Gear Solid - i just couldn't get into it at all, and i tryed many times. I think it was Syphon Filter that made me play it.

Tomb Raider - I hated that game.

Resident Evil - Read above. This was actually worse than Tomb Raider, but this type of genre is too predictable & unoriginal for me, so it wasn't a big surprise.

Bunny
03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
EVERY GAME EVER IS OVERRATED SO MUCH.

Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Metroid aren't my bag, baby. I just don't know what it is about them. I mean, I liked A Link To The Past, but who didn't? I just couldn't get into the later ones. Metal Gear Solid never stood a chance, I've watched it being played and it just did not interest me. Same with Gran Turismo, but that is more due to my not liking racing games. Metroid was okay on NES but anything else was kind of a bore.

I'm told Final Fantasy VII is good but I think everyone is lying to me. It is one collective "GOTCHA!" joke that someone is going to reveal to me on my deathbed.

I also think this about Halo.

Man, you guys are mean.

Firo Volondé
03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Most good FPS games for me, Halo, Half-Life, GoldenEye 007 etc. I just can't get excited about them. And I don't think the Mario games are as great as their reputation would have you believe. Frankly, I think they're overrated. :p

EDIT: I didn't think of Metal Gear Solid. Add that to my list.

Madame Adequate
03-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Mario games, Castlevania games, the Zeldas, and Half-Life.

Polaris
03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Metal Gear Solid... I mean it's not good for me it can be perfect for everyone else but I just don't get what that game has of so special!

Captain Maxx Power
03-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Very much GTA and Metal Gear Solid's. I didn't enjoy either for various reasons, but I'm assured that the general populace do.

Larahl
03-14-2007, 01:48 PM
The Fallout series.
I really wanted to enjoy it, but I just couldn't.

ljkkjlcm9
03-14-2007, 01:56 PM
definitely GTA, something I've never liked and just found stupid. After that.... I'm not sure.

THE JACKEL

Breine
03-14-2007, 02:07 PM
GTA and Gran Turismo have never ever been able to catch my attention, and probably never will.

Jowy
03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Final Fantasy III DS. I just hated every little thing about that game!

KentaRawr!
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Don't we already have this thread? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=102631)

Edit: Anyway, the game I recognize as good, but really don't like is Myspace Halo. Never could get into it.

Yuriev's ghost
03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Completely different premise to this thread. That thread is about genuinely bad games. This one is about good games you don't like/couldn't get into.

On that list, I would put Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Baldure's Gate, Super Mario RPG, Banjo-Kazooie and Chrono Trigger.

Raebus
03-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Final fantasy 7, I tried to play it but I just grew bored.

Madame Adequate
03-14-2007, 03:21 PM
The Fallout series.

So... the rumors were true. You do exist. :p

Larahl
03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
The Fallout series.

So... the rumors were true. You do exist. :p
Shoot, you caught me,
now you must die. ;)

Roto13
03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
I had to force myself to finish FF VII. I didn't enjoy it at all. Chrono Trigger was good for a while, but it's another game I had to force myself to finally finish. I loved Chrono Cross, though.

Dreddz
03-14-2007, 05:15 PM
The 3D Zeldas, Vagrant Story and not GTA.

I would say Tomb Raider but that series does suck, the world around me is wrong.

Cid Vicious
03-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Vagrant Story, the game bored me.

Metal Gear Solid, I can understand why it was so popular, but I've never enjoyed stealth games.

Levian
03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Metal Gear Solid, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, Gran Turismo, Halo/Half-Life/Max Payne/Counter Strike etc

I find most sports games to be boring too. They're okay for an hour or two, but then it just gets boring.

and I've never played any Metroid game, but I have a sneaking suspicion I will dislike it.

LunarWeaver
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
After that, I guess it would be Castlevania and Metroid. There's something about side scrolling adventure games like those that drives me up the wall. I prefer Castlevania to Metroid, because at least I like the music and ambiance of Castlevania.

They are not for me either. I don't even like Metroid Prime. They're wonderfully produced games, but they somehow bore the hell outta me.

I don't like Vagrant Story either. It just doesn't clicking with me like it does with many others.

Jebus
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Everyone else seems to enjoy Street Fighter. I just personally can't stand fighting games. *shrug*

Reles
03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I feel that when I play the old school games like Breath of Fire or Lufia, it's hard for me to complete it because a lot of it was leveling up it seemed. Once I beat a boss, I had to level up for an hour, or level up for an hour to have enough money to buy new armor and so forth. I just need more entertainment than that.

Erdrick Holmes
03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
The 3D Zeldas, Vagrant Story and GTA.

He said "good" games.

In ever really liked sports games much. I know they're great and all but I'm just absolutly bad at them.

Same thing with all of these Tom Clancy games; Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc. I just never got into games where you can be killed in one shot, have to move slowly, and have to stratagize alot.

Yew-Yevon
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
'Metal Gear Solid 3 substance' (http://www.totalvideogames.com/tvgadmin/content/imagedata/47729.jpg) and 'Shadow Of The Colossus' (http://www.totalvideogames.com/tvgadmin/content/imagedata/55488.jpg) were the best games I ever played. but as far as good but not liked? I'd have to say the Xenosaga games...they take more time to enjoy than I realy have

No.78
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I can't get into ocarina of time, I just can't! I keep saying "it'll get better" but it doesn't =/

MikeL Valentine
03-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Good game but not for me.....hhmmm

Splinder Cell (boring)
NFS Undergound (all of them)
Pro Evolution Soccer (I love football it's my fav sport but not games that have to do with it exept Football Manager 2007:p )
Sims (foolish imo)
Castlevania
Resident Evil (not scary at all, Silent Hill is the best)

And many many more :rolleyes2
I guess I like only RPGs and some really good Horror games like Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark, Call of Cthulhu etc.

XxSephirothxX
03-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Metal Gear Solid, for me. The top-down perspective and everything just kind of exuded "lameass" to me. The story and characters were highly entertaining, but I just couldn't keep playing it.

Gran Turismo is another good example. I think sim driving games are really gorgeous, but I just don't enjoy that type of racing. Arcadey games like Burnout are so much more fun.

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Well I'll start with my obligatory rant of FFX. I just don't understand why people like this game. It's mediocre at best.

Resident Evil, I'm sorry, I grew up playing Castlevania. It's difficult for me to see zombies as anything more than cannon fodder you have to fight to get to a real threat. I also have issues playing as retarded special forces group who forget how to fight hand to hand...

Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I don't hate this game but I hardly felt it was the "end all be all" of Zelda games. It's puzzles were mostly taken straight out of Link to the Past, it's dungoens and world seemed rather small and bland to me. And it has definetly not aged well...

God of War- Yeah it's puzzles are fun and the boss fights are unique (all five of them:rolleyes2 ) but I honestly found the gameplay to be slow and I didn't care for the over the top violence. It just didn't offer the type of variety and difficulty that DMC3 offered.

I don't like the Racing, sports, or FPS genres anyway so it would be waste of time listing any of them.

Dreddz
03-14-2007, 08:21 PM
The 3D Zeldas, Vagrant Story and GTA.

He said "good" games.

Right you are. *Edits*

kikimm
03-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Final Fantasy IX, I'm sorry to say. I would also say Final Fantasy VI, but I only played like 10 hours of that which probably isn't really enough to judge.

Star Ocean 3? That's supposed to be good right? Eh. Although I didn't play much of that either.

Vermachtnis
03-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell type games never really clicked for me. I'm not a fan of sneaking around with silenced weapons. I'd rather go out with a shot guns a blazin'!

And sports and racing games. Just can't get into them. Except for Hotshots Golf, but I'm willing to bet a lot people don't consider that a sports game :p

Yew-Yevon
03-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell type games never really clicked for me. I'm not a fan of sneaking around with silenced weapons. I'd rather go out with a shot guns a blazin'!

Well...MGS lets you do both!:D

Fatal Impurity
03-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Half life (I dont see what's so imaginative or revolutionary about it...the PS2 version owned the PC version)
GTA (It's crap and juvinile)
Tomb raider 1 (Was good for a while but grew old quick...and there is only so much of grey caves/stupid wolves and wierd rock formations that you can take)
Resident Evil series (This never excited nor scared me...RE3 is the only decent one)
Shin Magami Tensai: Digital Devil Saga (This just bored me and never gave me enough plot points to keep me interested...)
Shadow the Colossus (This is just a half assed beta version goddammit! Doesnt anyone realise that? There is just an overall lack of gameplay...even if what you do actually play is good.)

Roto13
03-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Half life (I dont see what's so imaginative or revolutionary about it...the PS2 version owned the PC version)
Tomb raider 1 (Was good for a while but grew old quick...and there is only so much of grey caves/stupid wolves and wierd rock formations that you can take)
Resident Evil series (This never excited nor scared me...RE3 is the only decent one)
Shin Magami Tensai: Digital Devil Saga (This just bored me and never gave me enough plot points to keep me interested...)
Shadow the Colossus (This is just a half assed beta version goddammit! Doesnt anyone realise that? There is just an overall lack of gameplay...even if what you do actually play is good.)

If you don't think the games are actually good, don't list them.

Discord
03-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Heroes of Might and Magic IV. Loved the 3rd and the 5th, but nr. 4 is just :joker: :shoot:. Worst in the series.

black orb
03-15-2007, 06:20 PM
>>> Resident Evil and Silent Hill games..

Yew-Yevon
03-15-2007, 06:49 PM
why is it that Konami can make such good graphics in it games (ie:silent hill, MGS, and suikoden) for PS2, but other developers just halfass it? Bad divelopers leave a bad taste in my mouth. XP

jorge
03-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Counter-Strike. v1.5 or older was perfect. Unfortunately, valve created steaming pile of crap in 2004 and pwned CS with a headshot. Also, CS is now filled with adwares. Server admins who paid ~100$/month for their CS servers cannot turn off the ads...

Shoeberto
03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Metal Gear Solid. There's so much possibility for great gameplay fun, but it's overshadowed by the insane amount of cutscenes. I still want to play the second and third, because I'll admit that the story is fun, but there's just not enough gameplay to balance it out.

Yew-Yevon
03-15-2007, 08:33 PM
what th..... Play through MGS3 Substance and then say that again!

Slothy
03-15-2007, 10:12 PM
I'll gladly admit that Halo is a reasonably good game. I blame my inability to extract any enjoyment from it on my having played games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, etc. It's like trying to compare a Ferrari to a lesser car (I don't really care which car to be honest). You may have fun driving your ordinary "carry my butt to work in the morning and back at night" car, but once you sit behind the wheel of the Ferrari, well...

Also Zelda TP. It's a good game in the way that pretty much every other Zelda is good. That's kind of the problem though. I'd rather games like Ico and SotC that do something fun and original.

The Real Dark Messenger
03-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Almost every Tomb Raider game, but the first one sucks! But I do adore the first one.

Gran Tourismo, GTA, Hitman.
And please don't kill me half of the world: World of Warcraft! I hate that game.

Mirage
03-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I tried to like Zelda 4 times. I failed every time.

The black mage
03-15-2007, 11:58 PM
GTA. Its just so repetave. Halo, just no.
Also WHY SO MUCH HATE FOR MGS, its one of my fav gameing series

Madame Adequate
03-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I'll gladly admit that Halo is a reasonably good game. I blame my inability to extract any enjoyment from it on my having played games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, etc. It's like trying to compare a Ferrari to a lesser car (I don't really care which car to be honest). You may have fun driving your ordinary "carry my butt to work in the morning and back at night" car, but once you sit behind the wheel of the Ferrari, well...

DX beats Halo hands down. But Half-Life sure as hell doesn't.

Slothy
03-16-2007, 01:34 AM

DX beats Halo hands down. But Half-Life sure as hell doesn't.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you what opinions are like though do I? :p

Xander
03-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh, plenty. :p I pretty much don't like games with - brown sky/guns/humans/realistic graphics/often 3D/fighting/anything not cute.

I guess I am pretty picky with the games I do like.. ;_; Though not that picky, games have just got too realistic and BROWN, but anyway thats another matter. So I guess this would include Metroid Prime, and most similar games people mentioned. I have no doubt there are lots of really good games but I know what I like and its gotta fit ;)

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Super Mario Sunshine.

Shoeberto
03-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Also WHY SO MUCH HATE FOR MGS, its one of my fav gameing series
Because people are giving their opinions?

Madame Adequate
03-16-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm sure I don't have to tell you what opinions are like though do I? :p

Evidently they're insane. xD

Discord
03-16-2007, 11:44 PM
why is it that Konami can make such good graphics in it games (ie:silent hill, MGS, and suikoden) for PS2, but other developers just halfass it? Bad divelopers leave a bad taste in my mouth. XP

Yeah, absolutely agreed. I could run MGS2 without any graphical failures on my old 8 MB Intel graphic card. That speaks for itself.:cool:

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 01:45 AM

All these games are generally considered good (i just couldnt bring myself to like them too much that's all!)...so it is actually keeping within the requirements of the topic...plus isnt what your doing member moderation? :confused:

DarkZalera
03-17-2007, 02:01 AM
In terms of gameplay, Final Fantasy VII just didn't do it for me. I found it to become boring and repetative quite early into the game. I suppose that's why I'm all for there being a remake for the Playstation 3, because I'm sure I would enjoy it a lot more than the origional.

Remedy
03-24-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll say Metal Gear
I don't like War and Army Games >.<

Roto13
03-24-2007, 01:25 PM

All these games are generally considered good (i just couldnt bring myself to like them too much that's all!)...so it is actually keeping within the requirements of the topic...plus isnt what your doing member moderation? :confused:
The entire reason I made this topic is so people can stop whining that awesome games are terrible and realize that maybe awesome games are awesome, they just don't like them. If you want to act like a popular series is total garbage because you don't like it, go complain in one of the zillion "overrated" topics floating around out there.

Maxico
03-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Perhaps a "What's the deal with -blank-?" thread would have worked better?

Rostum
03-25-2007, 05:04 AM
You all suck for disliking games that I like. :mad2:

Anyways, Star Ocean 3 was pretty lame, in my opinion. Though apparently it's good.

Diango12
03-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Any game not imported from Japan isen't worth half its cent

Jowy
03-25-2007, 07:14 AM
You all suck for disliking games that I like. :mad2:

Anyways, Star Ocean 3 was pretty lame, in my opinion. Though apparently it's good.

Star Ocean 3 is totally awesome! Until you get to Disc 2 and it pulls a Xenogears. 8-)

Rostum
03-25-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm sorry Jowy. I just thought the dialogue was incredibly lame and trailed off way too much. And the battle system was nothing great. =\

The camera also made me dizzy at points.

It very well may be a good game for some, but just not for me.

Khaotic
03-25-2007, 09:38 AM
KH.