PDA

View Full Version : Bad games that you DO like

Erdrick Holmes
03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
This idea was stolen borrowed from Roto's thread idea. Name some games that you KNOW are bad, but you like them anyway.

Final Fight Streetwise- This game may just be GTA without cars and have a crappy camera and fighting controlls, but I just like it none the less.

Megaman X6- This game may be the black-sheep of the Megaman X series, but it's probably the hardest game in it. Me likie hard games!

Sonic Shuffle- Bitch as much as you want about how badly the AI cheats, this game is a very good contender to Mario Party.

Yew-Yevon
03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Halo/2-, story and realistic gameplay and good char models are completly void here. But as a brainless space shooter its fun

Roto13
03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I kind of like Sonic Heroes in a way. There, I said it. Also, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. People seem to hate that game, but I like it. Not so much for the gameplay as for the atmosphere.

LunarWeaver
03-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Critically, Killer 7 and Tales of Legendia got pretty "meh" marks, and the reaction to both wasn't exactly a parade either...But I still enjoy them both. Especially Killer 7. Legendia I can see the flaws and why people don't like it, but K7 seemed perfectly enjoyable to me.

KentaRawr!
03-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Aladdin on the SNES come to mind. :p

nozkits
03-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Aladin for the sega genisis..... I mean it was hard, and it sucked huge ones, but it wass ok to play..

MikeL Valentine
03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Morrowind.....do I have to say more? ;)

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I've got a bit of a list...

I'm with you Holmes. I love my Mega Man X6. The game was a difficult, the bosses were more creative and X finally didn't get completely screwed over in the armor and weapon category like he was in X4 and X5...

I love Evil Zone. It's just a well thought out idea... just horribly executed...

Robotech BattleCry- This was a damn good game! I don't understand why people hated it so much. Sure there are area's that need improvement but if TDK had spent the time to refine the game instead of making a louzy FPS out of the sequel... I think they could have had a wonderful franchise going for them.

Nominus Experse
03-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Elaborate as to why a highly acclaimed and successful game is considered bad?

As for myself, I found Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back for the NES to be wonderful.

Rocket Edge
03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Solstice for the NES.

Some of the Spyro games for the PS1 too, but i'm not sure it would be deemed a bad game in the first place.

I Took the Red Pill
03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Star Wars Bounty Hunter was supposed to be pretty crappy but I loved it.

Dreddz
03-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Shadow Madness.

ljkkjlcm9
03-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Solstice for the NES.
God that game was annoying, but I did enjoy it. Though I never got close to beating it.

I enjoyed FF:CC as people have said. Evolution Worlds, Megaman X Command Mission (which people didn't think too highly of), apparently Phantasy Star Universe got bad reviews, because fools reviewed it before it was even a game really, more just a demo. I'm sure there are more, but not off the top of my head

THE JACKEL

Yew-Yevon
03-14-2007, 11:48 PM

Venom
03-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Legend of Dragoon got a 6/10 and I still think its pretty awesome.

TheOneBillyX
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Star Wars Lego......wait wait wait....don't boo me; it was a very boring multiplayer game!!!!!!!!

nozkits
03-15-2007, 12:04 AM

You just opened up a whole can of worms.. YOu like linear gameplay because last time I checked Morrowind wasn't a bad game.. You just want a video game that holds your hand through each little step, and detail... Sorry buddy Morrowind doesn't hold anyone's hands.

Monol
03-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Hey no booing...i enjoyed that game aswell...along with sonic heros, okage (one of my favorite RPGS :D ), yu yu hakusho dark tournament (horrendous game but its my favorite anime), and i love final fantasy X-2...there i said it :cool:

NINJA_Ryu
03-15-2007, 12:21 AM
War of the Ring! Yes, a very mundane and an entire clone of everything we have seen before, especially AOM.

But...it has the Balrog! Gandalf! Repressed goblins!!!!

ME likey ^^

and woo to Alladin

Vermachtnis
03-15-2007, 12:30 AM
I like alot of the games people have already mentioned. Specifically Megaman X Command Mission and Tales of Legandia. I have no idea why people don't like Megaman X Command Mission, I get that it's a little easy and kinda short, but the music is good and the battle system is fun, I thought.
With Tales of Legandia, I totally get why everyone says what they say about this game. But, their are some generally funny lines. I think the game deserves a plus, just because you can throw the enemies.

Rase
03-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Star Wars Bounty Hunter was supposed to be pretty crappy but I loved it.

Yuriev's ghost
03-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Star Wars Episode I: Racer

Bomber Man 64

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64 version)

Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse

Xenosaga I & II (DS)

Discord
03-15-2007, 02:40 AM
X - Beyond the Fronteer. So many people hate it, I loved it.:p

ljkkjlcm9
03-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Xenosaga I & II (DS)

That hasn't even be released as far as I am aware... unless you imported... cause I'm not even sure it's being released in the US

THE JACKEL

Yuriev's ghost
03-15-2007, 02:44 AM
I imported it from Japan. And no, it probably won't reach the US.

Araciel
03-15-2007, 02:58 AM

well i would think yes, since it won so many damned awards and such...but if you think it's bad, then you think it's bad.

Shoeberto
03-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Some of you are being pretty ridiculous in saying what supposed bad games you enjoyed. Halo 1 and 2, along with Morrowind and Lego Star Wars, received pretty glowing reviews and high sales numbers.

I mean, I may not be a huge fan of Halo, but I wouldn't group it with Mary Kate and Ashley game.

I used to really like Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero. I haven't played it in years, though.

nozkits
03-15-2007, 04:30 AM
I still play Graalonline..

its a horrible game and its P2P, but its a virtual chatroom now because no one wants to PK... ITs pretty crazy...... buts its sucked for many many years..

Firo Volondé
03-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Final Fantasy X-2 and Sudeki are two names that jump to my mind.

No.78
03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
FFX-2 lol, and Pokemon... :D

Madame Adequate
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyx2?q=Final%20Fantasy%20X-2

FFX-2 is not considered a bad game by most people.

ljkkjlcm9
03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm just going to post a new "rule" or at least guideline.

If it received over a 6 on a 10 point scale, or 3 on a 5 point scale, then it doesn't belong here. I would've stated Mystic Heroes before, but IGN gave it a 6, and the readers gave it a 7, but by the games you all are saying, it's rated as complete crap. I mean FFX-2 was an 8, Pokemon was an 8 as well, at least. And I lol at Halo 2.

I also enjoyed Mega Man 64, and the later Battle Network games which are considered bad compared to the older ones.

THE JACKEL

nozkits
03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyx2?q=Final%20Fantasy%20X-2

FFX-2 is not considered a bad game by most people.

Who cares what a big corporation that was probaly paid off by SE to fabricate the lies that FFX-2 isn't a bad game....

I really wasn't into it in my personal opinion. It was too pop culturish. Superficial, and really pretty much all I stand against in life...

Roto13
03-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Check out the user rating. 8.0 out of 10.0. Nobody was "paid off." There are just a lot of people who care about gameplay more than story.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562386.asp

nozkits
03-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Check out the user rating. 8.0 out of 10.0. Nobody was "paid off." There are just a lot of people who care about gameplay more than story.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562386.asp

Wow man you can't take a conspiracy joke?

lol..

I hated its story, but I liked how you can set the jobs for every character you have. Like Yuna doesn't have to be the healer...

Rocket Edge
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Solstice for the NES.
God that game was annoying, but I did enjoy it. Though I never got close to beating it.
Me neither, it was impossible.

Jowy
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Mega Man Xtreme for the Game Boy Color. I fucking LOVED that game.

CloudySky
03-15-2007, 04:00 PM

You just opened up a whole can of worms.. YOu like linear gameplay because last time I checked Morrowind wasn't a bad game.. You just want a video game that holds your hand through each little step, and detail... Sorry buddy Morrowind doesn't hold anyone's hands.

Hell no! Morrowind is boring like hell, worst RPG ever in my books, even not RPG, some boring exploring-bad combat game. In my books, no story, no characters with personality - no RPG game, period, no discussion here. Yes, Morrowind doesn't hold your hand or whatever else, it just doesn't hold, lol. If you like wandering through 1000 exactly the same maps and fighting 50000 exactly the same NPCs than so called PC RPG games are for you, Morrowind being worst of them. Idea that RPG can have open end is sick! The good story has to have a very great end. RPG can't give you freedom to do whatever you want, that's other games which have such option. I would write more what's RPG is about that's not a place.

Back on topic, I will go with MMORPG, it's Runescape, I know it's not a good game, I still play it time to time, I have no idea why :tongue:

black orb
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
>>> FF Mystic Quest.

Neo-Omega Mk XXV
03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
I can't think of any really bad games I like, just some that are not well regarded.

Quake 1 single player- It's got a paper-thin plot that was added after the game was complete, it's thematically incoherent, and the weapons and items were mostly imported from Doom, but I liked it a lot anyway. I preferred it to Duke Nukem 3D single player, which was generally regarded as superior.

Doom 3- Not considered to be bad, but overly simplistic and retro (funny, DQ 8 gets praise for the same reasons). Perhaps it's just the fact that I hadn't played any FPSs for years prior to playing D3, but I liked its highly polished old-school style. I enjoyed it more than Half-Life 2, though I think that HL2 is "objectively" better.

Yew-Yevon
03-15-2007, 06:46 PM
I own Half life 2 (on xbox) and it kinda sux. I played it on PC and was marveled by the difference of how much better it was. Simply Xbox ports of PC games are total CRAP!

Roto13
03-15-2007, 06:56 PM
I own Half life 2 (on xbox) and it kinda sux. I played it on PC and was marveled by the difference of how much better it was. Simply Xbox ports of PC games are total CRAP!

That tends to be the general rule for most PC > console ports. And vice versa.

Markus. D
03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I think this thread has been titled wrong.

they are not bad if the person likes it.

Shoeberto
03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Hell no! Morrowind is boring like hell, worst RPG ever in my books, even not RPG, some boring exploring-bad combat game. In my books, no story, no characters with personality - no RPG game, period, no discussion here. Yes, Morrowind doesn't hold your hand or whatever else, it just doesn't hold, lol. If you like wandering through 1000 exactly the same maps and fighting 50000 exactly the same NPCs than so called PC RPG games are for you, Morrowind being worst of them. Idea that RPG can have open end is sick! The good story has to have a very great end. RPG can't give you freedom to do whatever you want, that's other games which have such option. I would write more what's RPG is about that's not a place.
I could argue over the semantics of RPG history a lot, but basically it's styled after the more deep American-style RPG. JRPGs don't require nearly the same amount of patience, nor do they offer quite the same reward for the time spent.

Yew-Yevon
03-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I could argue over the semantics of RPG history a lot, but basically it's styled after the more deep American-style RPG. JRPGs don't require nearly the same amount of patience, nor do they offer quite the same reward for the time spent.

I wouldn't call amarican rpg's "rewarding"

Madame Adequate
03-16-2007, 12:18 AM

Baldur's Gate.

As for bad games I like, a whole bunch of Army Men games are applicable here. They're bad, they're not rewarding, and they're often not good even in a technical sense. But damn if they're not fun.

oddler
03-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Solar Jetman. :p

Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2007, 01:48 AM

Diablo 2? Fable? Ultima? Morrowind? Oblivion? Hello!

Dante WolfWood
03-16-2007, 01:58 AM
I can say I enjoyed Fable alot, but umm, it wasnt "rewarding" to say the least; that was worth a rent to fill a time slot in my life, thats it.

for me, its megaman legends 1 and 2....I'd play those games over and over again if I could :D

Shadowdust
03-16-2007, 07:59 AM
One bad game that I couldn't seem to stop playing was Banjo Kazooie back in the day. I hate that game and yet, I kept playing, always wondering what was wrong with me. Also, I seem to do that with the Star Ocean series. Horrible games, in my opinion, and again I just keep on playing them. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

ShunNakamura
03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
I love Evil Zone. It's just a well thought out idea... just horribly executed...

You too?! That game got me hooked pretty well for some reason. Despite the fact that a fighting game with only one attack button is kinda lame :/. But watching Danzaiver's and Kakurine's antics are fun.

Breine
03-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd have to say Death By Degrees.

Bunny
03-16-2007, 01:38 PM

I don't see Canada making anything worthwhile.

I don't really like any "bad" games.

Shoeberto
03-16-2007, 01:59 PM
As for bad games I like, a whole bunch of Army Men games are applicable here. They're bad, they're not rewarding, and they're often not good even in a technical sense. But damn if they're not fun.
Man, my friends and I used to have a blast playing through those. I can't remember all of them that we played, but there were a few Sarge games and the helicopter ones that we would spend whole nights playing. Great fun.

Well, that was random.
(American-style RPGs, by the way, refer to games that stick closer to the genre's roots in the D20 system and usually have a more open-ended approach to character building and game progression. JRPGs are usually hold your hand more in order to tell a flashy narrative)

Yuriev's ghost
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Games that can actually be considered RPGs, in other words.

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
(American-style RPGs, by the way, refer to games that stick closer to the genre's roots in the D20 system and usually have a more open-ended approach to character building and game progression. JRPGs are usually hold your hand more in order to tell a flashy narrative)

That's because we like a thing called FREEDOM here in America, even in our games. "American" RPGs are true RPGs, so I feel. While RPGs like Final Fantasy aren't completely RPG. Funny enough though, people claim to love RPGs like FF, but dislike the true RPGs, or other games where you make your own character with no concrete story, such as FF:CC

THE JACKEL

Slothy
03-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Hard getting news under that rock isn't it? Guess you haven't heard of things like Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Eternal Darkness, etc. I could go on here, but frankly, my point was made as soon as I said Prince of Persia.

Anywho, thanks to MILF for giving me my answer. I couldn't think of anything until you reminded me of Army Men: 3D.

Roto13
03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Hard getting news under that rock isn't it? Guess you haven't heard of things like Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Eternal Darkness, etc. I could go on here, but frankly, my point was made as soon as I said Prince of Persia.
SSX.

Silly Bunny.

Bunny
03-16-2007, 03:10 PM

Anywho, thanks to MILF for giving me my answer. I couldn't think of anything until you reminded me of Army Men: 3D.

The wonderful thing about my post is that I knew it was an ignorant thing to say. See, I was mocking the person I quoted by making an equally ignorant statement in response to his outrageously ignorant statement.

I'm sure you understood this though.

Slothy
03-16-2007, 03:35 PM

The wonderful thing about my post is that I knew it was an ignorant thing to say. See, I was mocking the person I quoted by making an equally ignorant statement in response to his outrageously ignorant statement.

I'm sure you understood this though.

Actually I did, but some people might actually believe you. And even if it is feigning ignorance as a joke, ignorance still has a tendency to annoy me.

CloudySky
03-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, that was random.

I'm sorry to beak your hopes, but that has 0 sense. Genre roots has nothing to do with this, although you might wanna check timelines to be sure what are RPG roots. I don't have to do that cos I'm old enough to remember how RPG (console and PC) gaming started. Anyway, these games can't be compared in any me known way. "More open-ended approach" usually means only 2 things, they took an engine, existing world and generated another exactly the same random game, gave it a name and here you have a new RPG. While if JRPG is new, it usually has - new characters, new leveling system, new story, completely new world and new roles to play.
RPG is role playing game, not creating role to play game what US developers seem to think. That's my opinion. JRPGs never left RPG roots, while PC RPGs with very few exceptions never were nowhere near that roots.

Very sorry for off topic :greenie:

Yuriev's ghost
03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
While if JRPG is new, it usually has - new characters, new leveling system, new story, completely new world and new roles to play.RPG is role playing game, not creating role to play game what US developers seem to think.
By that definition, virtually every game is a role playing game. You're just as much playing the role of a vampire slayer in Castevania as you are a Soldier in Final Fantasy VII.

Role Playing games are those in which you control how character interacts with the world. This is the only interpretation that makes it different from any other game. Most JRPGs don't do this (rather taking incidental elements that aren't defining of the genre like a leveling system) and therefore they aren't really RPGs. Most Western RPGs (Baldur's Gate etc) do and therefore are far closer to the original premise of role playing (the most prominent route being Dungeons and Dragons).

Slothy
03-16-2007, 05:23 PM
RPG's with bare bones stories (and games in general), whose sole purpose is to build your characters stats and abilities bore me to no end. There's nothing to compel you to play the game except a desire to build up your character over time, which doesn't interest me by itself. I'm the sort of person who doesn't just want a good story with characters who are interesting and actually have personality, I pretty much need it to make me want to play. It gives me an ultimate goal in terms of increasing my characters stats. For me, the overall story and it's ultimate conclusion is the payoff to building up my characters since I want to see what happens next. I can't stand building a character and exploring for the sole sake of building a character and exploring.

As for other bad games that I do indeed like; I have a soft spot for Mystic Quest since it basically got me into FF back in the day. I also liked playing Silent Scope on the PS2. Yeah, it sucked compared to the arcade version, but I still managed to have fun playing it.

Darth Anarcus
03-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (PSX) - I just think it's a really neat look into Sub-Zero's past, as well as a means of illustrating everyone's motives in the ongoing story.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (PC) - It's only "bad" because of how unfinished it is. But from the gameplay as well as the dark undertones of how the story progresses, I can tell that it would have been better than the first game had they not rushed its release. Fortunately, Team Gizka is coming to our rescure with their KOTOR II Restoration Project (http://www.team-gizka.org/).

Final Fantasy I (PSX) - I don't know. There's just something about it that made me enjoy it very much.

That's all I can think of right now.

black orb
03-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Final Fantasy I (PSX)
>>> Dude, there is no chance in hell that FF1 is a bad game..

Crossblades
03-16-2007, 06:39 PM
>>> FF Mystic Quest.

Bunny
03-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Final Fantasy I (PSX)

PSX

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
The Legend of Zelda II: Link's Adventure.

black orb
03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Final Fantasy I (PSX)

PSX
>>> PSX is even better, they improved lots of things..

Wolf Kanno
03-16-2007, 08:57 PM
RPG's with bare bones stories (and games in general), whose sole purpose is to build your characters stats and abilities bore me to no end. There's nothing to compel you to play the game except a desire to build up your character over time, which doesn't interest me by itself. I'm the sort of person who doesn't just want a good story with characters who are interesting and actually have personality, I pretty much need it to make me want to play. It gives me an ultimate goal in terms of increasing my characters stats. For me, the overall story and it's ultimate conclusion is the payoff to building up my characters since I want to see what happens next. I can't stand building a character and exploring for the sole sake of building a character and exploring.

This is my sentiments exactly. The real problem I have with "Traditional" D20 style American Rpgs is not only the total lack of motivation but the fact it removes the one thing that makes the D20 games so damn fun. A human element. A good D20 game will play like a table top version of a JRPG. Because you usually create characters that can truly intereact with the world, and GM usually makes the characters have important roles within the story itself. You literally create your own world.

The player will remember the wonderful characters you created and how they interacted well with the world and story the GM created. Your basically writing a story with a set of game mechanic rules (hell Record of the Lodoss War was adapted from a D20 game the creators played). Most western rpg's just can't reproduce this very well. There are a few exceptions but nothing really groundbreaking to say the least.

I generally don't play games like Morrowind, Eternal Darkness, and Baldur's Gate cause to me, it would be more fun to just get some friends together and play some good ol' D&D. But that's just my opinion...

Shoeberto
03-16-2007, 09:53 PM
My experiences with the Fallout series - which has a great story, fun characters, as well as the general depth of the D20 system - pretty much goes against why everyone seems to be arguing that US RPGs suck. Also KOTOR.

I guess this thread is a poor place to go all tangential and discuss the merits of US RPGs and JRPGS, but if someone would like to start a separate thread to discuss it so this can continue that'd be fine.

Darth Anarcus
03-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Final Fantasy I (PSX)
Well, I obviously feel the way you do, but many people don't. This is why I listed it.

Yew-Yevon
03-17-2007, 05:34 PM

Like I said, Not rewarding.

Slothy
03-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Also KOTOR.

Not to get too off topic again or anything, but I might agree that KOTOR had a great story if they hadn't made some of the major plot twists painfully obvious early on.

And another bad game I liked was MK: Trilogy. Of all the versions of MK3 this one was certainly the most broken (and they were all pretty bad to be honest), but I still enjoyed it back in the day, if only because it had so many characters in it (including bringing back some old favourites like Baraka).

Darth Anarcus
03-18-2007, 06:24 PM
People that say the first KOTOR is a bad game are not people at all.

Fatal Impurity
03-18-2007, 07:40 PM
FF10-2 flawed in many ways and the worst FF but i like it nonetheless.

atlanteay
03-18-2007, 07:48 PM
i thought Radiata Stories was good. A lot of people thought it was too boring and kiddie but it was kind of fun and the ending was unexpected.

aquatius
03-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Yu-gi-oh Forbidden Memories, Dungeon Dice Monsters, Croc 2, Harry Potter & TPOA... That's about all.

Meat Puppet
03-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. I’ve heard a lot more bad things about this game than any other GTA title, yet I still found satisfaction in the game.

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2007, 02:01 AM
At least somebody's honest.

Madame Adequate
03-20-2007, 02:49 AM

Like I said, Not rewarding.

You have the most bizarre definition of rewarding I have ever come across.

escobert
03-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Saga Frontier 1/2 Romancing Saga.

Dr. Acula
03-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Blaze and Blade. That game is so unbelievably crappy...:love:

Kryton87
03-22-2007, 04:28 AM

uh, woah! What makes you think that the D20 system was a real RPG?

No no no... If you want real RPGs, avoid D&D completely, particularly the D20 system. D&D has elements of RPG, but they can (and in my experience often are) completely avoided. And the D20 system takes away the RPG element even further with every rule.

Real Role Playing can be more closely compared to acting, or a salesmanship.

A real Role Playing Game would be one where you act based on how your character would act. And thats something that is very hard to find even in most "RPGs", and is pretty much non-existant in any video game. Mostly because any Role you're playing is built into the game.

D&D is and has always been a better dungeon delving game.

Odaisé Gaelach
03-22-2007, 04:37 AM
KISS Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/kisspsychocircusthenc/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review)

:cool:

Zeromus_X
03-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Alot of people hated the story, but I think Grandia III is an excellent (and very esthetically impressive) game.

Remedy
03-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Captain Tsubasa - all releases on all portables.
I'm into it ^^