PDA

View Full Version : "Micro-sleeps"? Or what was this called...?

Peter_20
03-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty sure there was this thread on here long ago, that claimed you were able to get enough sleep by taking lots of naps during the day; this would obviously make sleep during the nights obsolete.

Now what is this called again?
I just refer to it as "micro-sleeps" because I found no easier term. XD

Jowy
03-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Power-napping?

Sergeant Hartman
03-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Power-napping?
Exactly what I was going to say.

I always have a power nap :hat:

Fonzie
03-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Power-napping?

Power napping is just when a stronger person falls asleep on a weaker person.

Anyways, I sometimes take naps. Usually after a long day of school.

Peter_20
03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
It's not regular naps I'm talking about, but rather those weird naps that make sleep during the night unimportant.

I've heard Leonardo da Vinci slept 40 minutes per nap or something, at regular intervals, and therefore never slept full nights.

Reles
03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
I never understood power napping, it just makes me feel even more tired when I wake up from one. Not necessarily cutting it for me.

Bunny
03-15-2007, 06:50 PM
My naps usually become comas.

Peter_20
03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
LOL, the German term for the word is "Superschlaf". XD

Roto13
03-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Power napping is just when a stronger person falls asleep on a weaker person.

xD!

*ahem*

I don't like naps. I can never sleep. It just messes up my hair. :(

Owen Macwere
03-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Micro-sleeps??? This is what Dad does. Now I know why he is as strong as he seems.
I never tried it because I don't need them to spend my nights awake. =D

Yamaneko
03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I just feel grouchy after a nap, so I try to avoid them, especially when it's hot.

DarkLadyNyara
03-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty sure there was this thread on here long ago, that claimed you were able to get enough sleep by taking lots of naps during the day; this would obviously make sleep during the nights obsolete.

Now what is this called again?
I just refer to it as "micro-sleeps" because I found no easier term. XD

Hm... I can't say for sure, but I always assumed pulling a stunt like that would play merry hell with the sleep cycles. People with sleep apnea often have problems associated with lack of sleep due to waking up during the night. It doesn't matter that they are only awake for moments, or that they get the recommended hours, because the sleep cycle is constantly interrupted. I'm assuming "micro-sleeps" would have a simmilar effect.

Xaven
03-17-2007, 02:55 AM
Mini-naps. That sounds cute.

Naps seem to drain me of energy rather than restore it. I don't understand people who nap often. :O

oddler
03-17-2007, 02:57 AM
There was a Seinfeld episode where Kramer tried this. Didn't work out.

Agrias
03-17-2007, 04:24 AM
i usually dont like sleeping, so i only sleep about five hours a day regularly. but if i'm sick i take said "power naps"

Martyr
03-17-2007, 05:04 AM
I don't know science, but I know history, and these naps are what Thomas Edison used to take while he worked to create that light bulb.

They say he never sleeped, but he did. In naps like this. He was just too excited/determined to get the job done to sleep for long periods of time away from his work.

Jojee
03-17-2007, 06:40 AM
I really need one looong sleep once in a while ^^ Can't just sleep for short periods of time all the time, I wouldn't even be able to fall asleep.

Tasura
03-17-2007, 11:02 AM
I nap a lot, i dont sleep much during the night, so I mkae up for it during the day, i get 8 hours a day, just not at once, I go to bed at 5am, get up at 9am, sleep from 1pm to 4pm then stay up until 5am, and the cycle repeats during the week, when Friday hits I get up between 2-4pm, after going to bed at 7 or 8 am, same for Saturday, Sunday follows the going to bed of the week and the getting up of the weekend. If i forgo my 3 hour nap after lunch/before supper, i either go to bed earlier, or just pull an all nighter for a couple of days then sleep all of Friday or Saturday. And since it's 7am now I've no concious though of what I'm typing, hence, going to bed now and getting up at noon. If someone can translate this for me in a few hours, I'd be apreciative cause I'd like to know what I just said, but in English, and not sleep-deprevationese.

41-Inches-Wide
03-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Noon naps get me disoriented in the next remaining hours after I wake up. I don't feel refreshed, and I usually catch myself staring into space.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I never take these kinds of naps. If I find myself drifting off at 8pm and wake up two hours later then I'd probably just go to sleep

KentaRawr!
03-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I took a 4 hour nap once. n_n I didn't go nocturnal, sadly.

Madame Adequate
03-17-2007, 02:10 PM
If I nap for too long, when I wake up I have a headache and feel really hot and irritable. So I try not to. But if I sleep less than an hour, or more than two and a half, I tend to be fine.

Mo-Nercy
03-17-2007, 02:58 PM
In Australia there was a pretty big ad campaign about micro-sleeping and how it's important to "stop, revive, survive" every 2 hours when driving long distances.

But I think you're after the term "power-napping" which I do often enough. Usually on public transport and in exceedingly boring lectures.

In all seriousness, there's nothing more refreshing than a 10+ hour sleep. The best feeling in the world comes after waking up, going back to sleep and waking up again. At this point, I really feel as if I've accomplished something. Naps are fine but I'd rather take a couple of espresso shots, tough it out and find something else to do.