PDA

View Full Version : New Wii RPG coming out named "Opoona"

Crossblades
03-15-2007, 11:35 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/772/772659p1.html

Koei met with members of the Japanese press in Tokyo today to unveil a new, original RPG for the Wii. Titled Opoona, this game is being developed by Japanese development house Arte Piazza (previous work on Dragon Quest VII and the PS2 remake of Dragon Quest V) for Japanese release this summer.

The game's title is taken from the main character's name. Opoona is the son of a Cosmo Guard, a warrior that protects the peace in the universe. One day, he's out with his family on a space trip, and gets involved in an accident. His parents are killed, and he finds himself separated from his brother and sister.

Your goal in the game is to help Opoona find his siblings. Opoona starts his adventure on the planet of Landroll, which is being terrorized by demos known as the Dark Rogues. The people of Landroll reside in sealed residential areas, and those who dare step outside face threat of attack.

Part of the game has players experiencing daily life in one of these residential areas. You'll have to take on jobs in order to live properly. The game includes over twenty jobs, ranging from professional detective work to a part time job at a fast food restaurant. Performing jobs increases Opoona's stats, improves his relationship with townfolk, and also opens up new areas of the game world.

This isn't just another simulation game, though. The game includes a storyline that's split into chapters. As one would expect of an RPG, you'll have to explore the dangerous fields surrounding the residential areas and face off against enemies in battle.

The game's "Active Bon Bon Battle System" makes use of a few of the system's motion sensing capabilities. Opoona has a ball on his head called the Energy Bon Bon. You attack your enemies by tossing this ball. To toss the ball, you hold back on the nunchuck's analogue stick, then swing the nunchuck in the direction you want to toss. Koei noted that the entire battle system can be controlled with the nunchuck, so players can lay down as they play.

As you advance in the game, you'll eventually rescue your sister Paullina and your brother Copoona. These two can then be used in battle. Paullina has two balls on her head instead of one. Copoona has his Energy Bon Bon below him (he doesn't have feet, unlike his brother and sister), which apparently gives him better magic capabilities.

At today's unveiling event, Koei introduced some of the staff members of team Opoona. From Arte Pizza, Shintarou Mashima is producing the project, with direction by Yukiko Sugimura. The aural side of the project is being overseen by Hitoshi Sakimoto, who previously worked on Final Fantasy XII and Vagrant Story.

Dragon Quest producer Yuji Hori was at the event as well. While not having a role in the game's development, he's the one who got Arte Piazza and Koei talking following last year's E3. At that time, Arte Piazza had already started development on the game, but was without a publisher.

Since they went with Koei, we hope to be able to share details on a US release for this title in the near future.

Here is the game's artwork
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/wii/opoona/art/opoonaart031407-1.html

screenshots
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/wii/opoona/screens/opoonass031407-1.html

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/wii/opoona/propaganda/opoonapropaganda031407-1.html

Roto13
03-16-2007, 12:28 AM
players can lay down as they play.
What an odd thing to point out.

SnoopyG
03-16-2007, 01:13 AM
active bon bon battle system is probably the coolest name ever

DK
03-16-2007, 02:12 AM
That actually sounds pretty fun indeed.

Spammerman
03-16-2007, 02:35 AM

is it because its the wii? And other games require you to like stand or something?(Note i have not a wii and dont know tihs stuff)

Agrias
03-16-2007, 03:30 AM
this actually looks quite interesting, its a good think i'm getting a wii soon :D

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2007, 04:05 AM

is it because its the wii? And other games require you to like stand or something?(Note i have not a wii and dont know tihs stuff)
Most people think you do, but I lay/sit down to play most of the games, including every game in Wii Sports

THE JACKEL

Callisto
03-16-2007, 04:10 AM
Kind of an odd looking little game. The screenshots do nothing for me.

JKTrix
03-17-2007, 12:26 PM
There's a Video
http://www.opoona.com/movie.htm

Mirage
03-17-2007, 12:47 PM
What a strange game.

Albel
03-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Looks like a good game, but the main character looks a bit retarded.

Crossblades
03-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't what it is about this game, but it sort of reminds me of Earthbound

Yuriev's ghost
03-18-2007, 04:28 PM
The battle system sounds hilariously gimmicky. I hope there is more to it than what that article implies.