PDA

View Full Version : quick question RE: queen's statue

03-16-2007, 12:59 AM
The first time I played the game I used a player's guide, cause I was 11 or 12 and didn't know that doing a playthrough on my own would be more rewarding. So there really weren't any secrets. One thing I've come to wonder is...

how on earth was anyone expected to find the queen's statue to turn Odin into Raiden, and fight the Blue dragon without a player guide? What was the clue? In all my playthroughs I've never actually noticed any kind of clue regarding that (though I admit, after the first 2-3 times through I stopped paying attention to NPCs), other than the queen's diary that doesn't seem to give any indication at all. Just "I love Odin," which doesn't seem to be anything more than added color to the story, and certainly wouldn't make anyone I know think "oh, I bet something cool happens if I stand a few spaces under her throne and do nothing for a while." But there must be one, right? Because not even the most hardcore RPG gamer would ever think "hey, I'll just stand for five seconds on every inch of dungeon in case one of them has an invisible switch that isn't triggered immediately when you step on it."

So where are you tipped off? What does the NPC, or whatever, say? Or did square actually expect one in 10 billion people to find it by dumb luck and then tip everyone else off?

Jowy
03-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Jesus, that's a damn good question. I had the strategy guide when I first played through the game, so I didn't need to mindlessly talk to NPCs or check things.

Slothy
03-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Don't ask me how, but I did find it on my own. Chalk it up to repeatedly and relentlessly travelling and searching the world of FFVI I guess (it is my favourite game of all time after all, and I've probably beaten it more than any other). I found it on my first or second playthrough, and since I already had Odin I just examined the statue and you know the rest. It sounds really wierd, but back in the day when the internet wasn't nearly as helpful, and guides weren't always as readily available (unless you bought game magazines, which I didn't at the time), you relied on your own wits and the concerted effort of you and a few friends to find everything. Of course nowadays it seems like developers throw in a lot of stuff that the average person would never happen accross without help. A hidden passage or two doesn't seem so hard in comparison to some of the convoluted crap that's in games now.

I feel old now so I'm going to quit ranting about the good old days.

Takara
03-16-2007, 01:59 AM
I seem to recall someone or something at one point mentionning a secret that can be found in front of the queen's throne.

Or maybe I'm thinking about the gargoyle statue in Trabia Garden, which is two games later.

Buh.

All I remember, however, is that it was a friend who told me where to find that elusive dragon. How he discovered it, however, I don't know.

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Having just checked, go to the Library in Figaro Castle and some guy talks about the Castle beneath the sands, and a passage he doesn't understand, "When the queen stands and takes five steps...."

THE JACKEL

Siegfried
03-16-2007, 04:19 AM
Thats why, no one ever talks to those losers... They just talk about incoherent crap..

Flying Mullet
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Having just checked, go to the Library in Figaro Castle and some guy talks about the Castle beneath the sands, and a passage he doesn't understand, "When the queen stands and takes five steps...."

THE JACKAL
Yeah. I think you have to go to the Ancient Castle first. Then, after you find the Queen's Statue, the scholar in Figaro Castle mentions where to check.

03-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah. I think you have to go to the Ancient Castle first. Then, after you find the Queen's Statue, the scholar in Figaro Castle mentions where to check.

Please tell me you meant "after you find the queen's diary."

If that's the case, it's something most people will easily miss without a guide for sure, but I at least feel better knowing they made it possible.

Unless you meant what you said.

Flying Mullet
03-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Sorry, yeah, I meant the queen's diary, not Odin's statue.

This is what happens when you try to post right after you wake up. xD

abrojtm
03-16-2007, 04:36 PM
The text does not change if you read the Diary and then talk to the scholar, nor if you change Odin to Raiden.