PDA

View Full Version : Just something I thought of after seeing Shlup's thread.

Momiji
03-16-2007, 04:17 AM
Even if you could dig through to the other side of the world, and assuming the molten core wouldn't incinerate you, would you really be able to go through to the other side? Think of it this way: gravity holds us to the ground, and down farther as we go. But once you get to the center, would gravity neutralize/reverse so you don't go in either direction? I don't get it.

Discuss, that is, if your minds haven't shortcircuited from thinking about it.

Agrias
03-16-2007, 04:19 AM
very good analitical point here, but actually i thought of this long before you, so technically i win.

Momiji
03-16-2007, 04:20 AM
very good analitical point here, but actually i thought of this long before you, so technically i win.

But did you POST it? No? So technically you lose. ;)

Shlup
03-16-2007, 04:21 AM
I think the pressure would kill you or something.

Agrias
03-16-2007, 04:23 AM
:(
i lose again
and yea that or the immense heat would just melt you.

Momiji
03-16-2007, 04:23 AM

Like I said, assuming that it was possible and you wouldn't get fried...

Shlup
03-16-2007, 04:25 AM
I didn't say heat, I said pressure.

Ryth
03-16-2007, 04:26 AM

Like I said, assuming that it was possible and you wouldn't get fried...

Asking if you can do something if you negate all the affects of reality doesn't really get you a real answer. :p

I think she meant gravity would crush you. Like the gravity you're facing from your side, and then the gravity of the other side colliding?

I don't know, I guess, this gives me a headache. :(

Martyr
03-16-2007, 04:30 AM
I've discussed this somewhere.

basically, you're right, PeePs (How do I shorten your name?). At the center of the earth, the force of gravity would hold you still.

If you're careful, you will be able to live in a state ot gravitational paralysis of sorts. If you're not careful, you will make like an empty soda can underneath a high downward velocity boot crossed with an accordion.

Nominus Experse
03-16-2007, 04:51 AM
No matter how you think of it, journeying through the center of the earth will kill you - one way or another.

Madonna
03-16-2007, 06:10 AM
http://www.akusui.net/_lynxoma/psuedo-science_gravitywell.gif

Jojee
03-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Aw it's a baseball. ^_^

Old Manus
03-16-2007, 08:32 AM
I thought the centre of the Earth was full of dinosaurs and 12-foot tall humans? :confused:

DarkLadyNyara
03-16-2007, 10:14 AM
My head hurts. :(

Madame Adequate
03-16-2007, 10:56 AM
It's not as simple as just considering the Earth, sadly. Whilst technically being at the Earth's center of mass would mean you experience no gravity, there are also matters of momentum and the gravitational influences of other space objects to consider. I'm reasonably sure there is no place within the Earth where gravity, or the illusion thereof provided by the... I don't know whether it's centrifugal or centripetal force... is entirely nulled.

Loony BoB
03-16-2007, 11:59 AM
You'd probably lose all sense of direction once you get to the center, anyway. Not like you can use a compass. Although I suppose you could use laser guidance from the surface to point you in the direction to dig, or something.

I would imagine that if indeed you could dig as far in as the center of Earth, then you'd be okay, because obviously gravity wasn't strong enough to pull the dirt in from the sides of the hole you'd dug (which would, of course, bury you alive).

Mitch
03-16-2007, 12:31 PM
You could just Kamehameha your way through.

Bunny
03-16-2007, 12:39 PM
If the fire doesn't kill you, the mole people will.

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually if you were in the very center of the Earth, you would feel no gravity from the Earth. It would be equal to being in space. As you dig down you would actually feel less and less gravity until you felt none at all.

THE JACKEL

Peegee
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Shlup's got it, albeit indirectly.

The pressure acting on your person would be greater than the gravitational force acting on you (which in my imagination would be the equivalent of digging 'up' after a certain point).

Unless I'm totally wrong here. Fix my hypothesis!

Bunny
03-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Shlup's got it, albeit indirectly.

mole people mole people mole people

Unless I'm totally wrong here. Fix my hypothesis!

Done!

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes the pressure would be greater

research has shown pressure would be about 360 GPa at the center of the earth, as opposed to the 101.3 kPa we feel on the surface. That's only... 3,553,800.59 times greater

THE JACKEL

Rocket Edge
03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
It sounds near impossible, and as everyone said you would clutter up in there with no gravity.

Even if you do get to the center, there would be a mass volcano erupting, so i wouldn't really see the point.

41-Inches-Wide
03-16-2007, 02:36 PM
I still think there's no gravity in there. :( Can the person who is digging the hole feel the earth rotate from inside the core? Can he/she drop down or slide up according to the direction of the rotation?

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I still think there's no gravity in there. :( Can the person who is digging the hole feel the earth rotate from inside the core? Can he/she drop down or slide up according to the direction of the rotation?

There is gravity. There is always gravity. The fact of the matter is that at the exact center of the earth, there is equal mass in all directions around you, therefore canceling out to feel no gravity from the pull of the earth. It would feel exactly as if you were in space, where you also do have gravity acting on you, but you feel weightless.

You can't feel the earth rotate from the outside of the core. And if you're in the middle of the earth, you're still rotating around the sun.

THE JACKEL

utelektr
03-16-2007, 05:36 PM
You would get crushed into a compact little atom because of the pressure.

Iceglow
03-16-2007, 07:26 PM
If you were doing this in say the machine from that pretty diabolical movie "the core" then you could in theory live as the pressure made the machine harder but there would still be all the points made in this thread to consider.

41-Inches-Wide
03-16-2007, 11:47 PM

There is gravity. There is always gravity. The fact of the matter is that at the exact center of the earth, there is equal mass in all directions around you, therefore canceling out to feel no gravity from the pull of the earth. It would feel exactly as if you were in space, where you also do have gravity acting on you, but you feel weightless.

You can't feel the earth rotate from the outside of the core. And if you're in the middle of the earth, you're still rotating around the sun.

THE JACKAL

srsly?
Then in that case, the people who posted about being crushed by gravity are possibly correct. Then the two directions make for two different pressures.
I thought the person digging the hole would just fall depending on the direction of the rotation of the earth. :D

Psychotic
03-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Willy Fog did it and he came back okay. Check it out: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZaR1uPHZNY) it seems to be a right hoot! Larking about in sailor suits, chilling with dolphins and whatnot.

Oh and if anyone can find the English version of that I will kiss them, and over the internet, no less. They only seem to have the English Around the World in 80 Days on YouTube.