PDA

View Full Version : whats wronge with the gameplay

Aerisfanatic
03-16-2007, 10:23 PM
alot of people hate the ff12 gameplay so it strays from original style whats wronge with that i didnt have a problem with it, why do you hate itor why do you think people dont like it

Gabranth
03-16-2007, 10:27 PM
i personally don't think anything is wrong with the gameplay. maybe people don't like it because it was more like diablo or something...i dunno.

Sergeant Hartman
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
As long as they don't take away the victory fanfare I'll be happy :hat:

Xurts
03-16-2007, 10:53 PM
alot of people hate the ff12 gameplay so it strays from original style whats wronge with that i didnt have a problem with it, why do you hate itor why do you think people dont like it
I haven't seen many people who don't like the gameplay. I think most people dislike it because of the storyline instead.

Setzer Gabianni
03-16-2007, 10:56 PM

People are having fanny fits, not many, over the removal of random battles. I say, it's glad we did away with them, because FF is constantly changing, and needs to adapt to new battle systems, etc.

I love the gameplay meself.

Renmiri
03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I have rarely seen people complain about gameplay. Quite the opposite. Gameplay is XII's saving grace to me and many others. Story and characters OTOH.. :mad:

Setzer Gabianni
03-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I have rarely seen people complain about gameplay. Quite the opposite. Gameplay is XII's saving grace to me and many others. Story and characters OTOH.. :mad:

Don't start woman. You'll get me going. <___<

Crossblades
03-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Nothing's wrong with the gameplay. It was very enjoyable IMO

LunarWeaver
03-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I really enjoyed the gamplay as well. The majority seem to like it to me. I suppose those that don't simply find it too passive of an experience. I thank the Great Jubbah random encounters are finally gone.

Auragaea
03-16-2007, 11:30 PM
The main problem with FFXII's gameplay is that once you start getting decent Gambits (which actually isn't that far in the game), your AI controlled characters get TOO smart and make the game easy. There's the option of turning off Gambits, but using the Wait mode makes combat too "stiff" in this game and takes away from the action. Using Active mode likewise makes this game harder than it would be with Gambits (especially when confronted by many enemies (Giruvegan for example)) and less fun as well. I don't speak for everyone though, so this is my personal opinion.

The Mog Ninja
03-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I hate the entirety of FFXII's gameplay. IMHO it is much more boring to see what you are going to attack before you attack it. Another problem with its system is that you can choose what you are going to fight. I really enjoyed the surprise of what would pop up in random battles. It would even be better if it could be more like KH's system, having the Heartless pop up when you approach. Also I really didn't like the way you have to control your allies, due to the fact I really don't want to have to turn off and on their Gambits all the time, make them set new enemies to attack, cast magic on whatever and all the general battle commands due to its slowness. I also just do not like the way you fight, having your meter fill up then *slash* and having to fill it up again. Now that works for a turn-based game like FF7, FF8 etc. but I find it does not work here because of all the different things that can occur e.g. Enemy runs away, another enemy joins the battle, an ally joins the battle etc.

OK I'm off to play some good ol FFX.

DarkZalera
03-17-2007, 03:04 AM
There is nothing wrong with the gameplay, it bests the other Final Fantasy games in terms of gameplay. Anyone who says otherwise are just people who can't keep up with the gameplay because they suck at it!

Tavrobel
03-17-2007, 03:17 AM
The horribly debilitating lack of a need to hit the X button. My frail Kingdom Hearts hands cannot take such a brutal and painful punishment! Let me wallow in my sorrow, for my hands are not chapped and BLEEDING.

LunarWeaver
03-17-2007, 04:40 AM
The horribly debilitating lack of a need to hit the X button. My frail Kingdom Hearts hands cannot take such a brutal and painful punishment! Let me wallow in my sorrow, for my hands are not chapped and BLEEDING.

You are the biggest drama queen I've ever known :hahaha:. And that's something since I know myself. Give my tiara back.

Aerisfanatic
03-17-2007, 01:03 PM
i would have also preferd the kh action gameplay were you can constantley atack it keep you on your feet and its more interesting the gameplay in 12 was more of an online rpg gameplay like ff11 which i play:p

Setzer Gabianni
03-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I hate the entirety of FFXII's gameplay. IMHO it is much more boring to see what you are going to attack before you attack it. Another problem with its system is that you can choose what you are going to fight. I really enjoyed the surprise of what would pop up in random battles. It would even be better if it could be more like KH's system, having the Heartless pop up when you approach. Also I really didn't like the way you have to control your allies, due to the fact I really don't want to have to turn off and on their Gambits all the time, make them set new enemies to attack, cast magic on whatever and all the general battle commands due to its slowness. I also just do not like the way you fight, having your meter fill up then *slash* and having to fill it up again. Now that works for a turn-based game like FF7, FF8 etc. but I find it does not work here because of all the different things that can occur e.g. Enemy runs away, another enemy joins the battle, an ally joins the battle etc.

Ok..
1) You've obviously never fought the zombies that pop out of the ground..the snakes..the flans that fall from above..etc

Lol. You're like Renmiri, but instead of hating the story, you hate the gameplay. Wait, you hate everything in XII. rofl.

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Ok..
1) You've obviously never fought the zombies that pop out of the ground..the snakes..the flans that fall from above..etc
QFT

Hint for KHK: Turn battle lines OFF. I garantee you that you will be surprised by fiends.

Lol. You're like Renmiri, but instead of hating the story, you hate the gameplay. Wait, you hate everything in XII. rofl.

Never!!!!

I hate the story because it is the suxxor ;)

The script for Every single cutscene in FFXII
Vaan: "I want to be a sky pirate!"

Panelo: *Something pointless*

Fran: "I feel the mist." (In that god-awful annoying voice)

Ashe: *Something tough*

Basch: *Something macho*

Balthier: *Something awesome ANNOYING*

xtrava
03-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Ashe: *Heavy breathing and exhalation* "I must do it" (or something similarily weak and boring) *more heavy breathing/sighing/exhalation*

Yaaawwn =/

I love FFXII on the whole but there are bad parts, just like any game thats ever been.

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Ashe: *Heavy breathing and exhalation* "I must do it" (or something similarily weak and boring) *more heavy breathing/sighing/exhalation*

Yaaawwn =/

I love FFXII on the whole but there are bad parts, just like any game thats ever been.

QFT :p

Little Blue
03-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I miss the random battles (I'm too lazy to walk up to the enemy on the far side of where ever the hell I am, I'd much rather run in circles all day, and I miss the exp screens and the victory fanfare, even though it does have a fanfare at what feels like completely random events), and I find battles to be quite mindless with the gambits (I haven't pressed x for days!), and I don't really like how the gil system works (I'd prefer gil + loot rather than sell loot -> gil), and the license board feels too uniform and compact for my taste, but I don't mind the gameplay overall. I think it fits with the game and can't really imagine it any other way.

Xurts
03-17-2007, 06:39 PM

Ouch.

LunarWeaver
03-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Okay, but do you like the gameplay?

The plot wasn't all I expected either, but I still think it's quite good, and I'm getting tired of every single FFXII thread dissolving into bash-the-plot :p

Ashley Schovitz
03-17-2007, 06:48 PM
There is nothing wrong with the gameplay, it bests the other Final Fantasy games in terms of gameplay. Anyone who says otherwise are just people who can't keep up with the gameplay because they suck at it!
I totally agree. The battle system is the best out of the entire series, the only thing that the gameplay nees to change a bit are the sidequests, for the most part they are battles whether they are against marks or summons, but that's a minor gripe since I gave the game a 8.6 out of 10.

Angel_from_hell
03-17-2007, 08:31 PM
The battle system in FF12 is the best gameplay for the entire FF series. I love the way the gambits work and the fact that you can see and avoid the enimes. In the older games you were forced to go into this battle mode everytime you took a step forward and that was really annoying, especially when you were low on HP and needed to get to a Save Point.

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Okay, but do you like the gameplay?
I love the gameplay!

The plot wasn't all I expected either, but I still think it's quite good, and I'm getting tired of every single FFXII thread dissolving into bash-the-plot :p

:eek: But that's my favorite sport! :eek:

Fair enough... XII gameplay is awesome! :love:

Wolf Kanno
03-18-2007, 04:27 AM
The main problem with FFXII's gameplay is that once you start getting decent Gambits (which actually isn't that far in the game), your AI controlled characters get TOO smart and make the game easy. There's the option of turning off Gambits, but using the Wait mode makes combat too "stiff" in this game and takes away from the action. Using Active mode likewise makes this game harder than it would be with Gambits (especially when confronted by many enemies (Giruvegan for example)) and less fun as well. I don't speak for everyone though, so this is my personal opinion.

Of any of the FF's I feel that FFXII was designed around you playing it in the active mode. Cause in active mode you realize quickly that your Gambits don't make your party AI demigods. You really start to see that you have to watch them to keep them from doing something stupid (Basch? Why are you attacking a flying creature with a hammer?). Your basically creating mini-strategies that keep you on your toes and allow you to be creative.

So you don't like to "think" when you play your games? As Renmiri stated, you can choose to remove the lines. And since when has "choosing" been a bad option in RPG's? In fact what RPG doesn't allow you to NOT choose what you attack? The bar filling up to do attacks is your character regaining strength to attack again (have you ever noticed that the speed in which you attack is different with each weapon?) heavy weapons take longer to attack, the guns take forever cause they are aiming (and probably loading ammo) but knives and swords only take a few seconds. Of anything, it just shows how unrealistic KH combat system really is (besides the obvious unrealistic parts:rolleyes2 ) The game requires more strategy than the others and the semi-realism in combat makes it more challenging and fun. FFXII is an RPG before it's an action game. KH is an action game before it's an RPG.

I miss the random battles (I'm too lazy to walk up to the enemy on the far side of where ever the hell I am, I'd much rather run in circles all day, and I miss the exp screens and the victory fanfare, even though it does have a fanfare at what feels like completely random events), and I find battles to be quite mindless with the gambits (I haven't pressed x for days!), and I don't really like how the gil system works (I'd prefer gil + loot rather than sell loot -> gil), and the license board feels too uniform and compact for my taste, but I don't mind the gameplay overall. I think it fits with the game and can't really imagine it any other way.

You and KingdomHeartsKing have obviously never played FFI-FFIV. If any games are going to get you to hate random encounters it's those games. Lord it takes an hour to cross a 16 space line in those games cause you get attacked almost every footstep of the way. Believe me, I don't miss the random encounters.

Also, soldiers in FFXII drop gil so you do technically have the "dropped gil + loot" thing going on. It's just that loot is better and makes you priortize more than normal (like the pre-FFVI generation did)

Little Blue
03-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Actually, I've played FF III and found, as an example, the number of encounters I was forced to fight while flying to Doga's mansion in the Nautiless (was it?) to be pretty annoying, but on the whole, I still miss the random encounters...

And I never noticed that until after I posted, I've only just gotten to the Yensa Sansea and noticed the urutan drop like 26 gil each time I kill one... Still... I miss the old systems, but I do like this new one too (or mega old ones if its more like the classics ;)).

Dreddz
03-18-2007, 11:59 PM
The gameplay to XII was a god send. It was the best battle system ever to come to a FF game. It also saved the rest of the game. XII lacked in alot of corners but it was the battle system that led it through the struggle. If we had random battles present again, I would probably not of bothered finishing XII.

Nominus Experse
03-19-2007, 12:04 AM
I love the gameplay.

My only complaint with the battle system is that I would like being able to actually fucking see what the hell I'm fighting, not its feet... Staring at Yiazmat's feet for hours was the worst of it.

Wolf Kanno
03-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Actually, I've played FF III and found, as an example, the number of encounters I was forced to fight while flying to Doga's mansion in the Nautiless (was it?) to be pretty annoying, but on the whole, I still miss the random encounters...

And I never noticed that until after I posted, I've only just gotten to the Yensa Sansea and noticed the urutan drop like 26 gil each time I kill one... Still... I miss the old systems, but I do like this new one too (or mega old ones if its more like the classics ;)).

Sorry about that, I just re-read my post and realized it came off rather nasty. I didn't mean to, I must have been in a bad mood. Sorry to everyone I offended:cry:

Though I still can't understand why people would miss random encounters, especially since the RPG community has been bitching about them for what seems like forever... Hell, I tend to zone out the battle theme and fanfare tracks in in most of the FF games so I don't miss those. I also don't have to really worry about getting bushwacked while trying to make a run to a save point or exit (This just happened to me last night in FFVA:mad: ) and having my whole party wiped out because I keep getting into random encounters I can't fight at the moment. We all have our stories of this happening though;) .

To be honest, the real time aspect of the battles in FFXII was done far better than other games that have tried to remove random encounters IMHO.

Xurts
03-19-2007, 04:16 AM
I love the gameplay.

My only complaint with the battle system is that I would like being able to actually smurfing see what the hell I'm fighting, not its feet... Staring at Yiazmat's feet for hours was the worst of it.
Can't you just press L2 to have the camera focus on your target? I do that with flying enemies.

Nominus Experse
03-19-2007, 04:26 AM
Oh :skull::skull::skull::skull:, if you're right Xurts, I'm going to bash myself in the face like a dolt ought to do...

LunarWeaver
03-19-2007, 06:03 AM
The L2 thing I found by accident. I was also manually opening up my menu and targeting things to see all their information, and then I figured out you can just hit the left and right directional buttons to "lock-on" and see it :Oo: