PDA

View Full Version : This article has all but convinced me to buy an Xbox 360 instead of the PS3...

Vincent, Thunder God
03-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Topic: I'm sure gamers who are interested in the current console war will find this article quite interesting. It comes in 2 parts, and I found both quite interesting, but if you want to skip to the good stuff just start with Part 2. It frankly and convincingly outlines the problems of Sony's strategy this time around.

Part 1 (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37771)

Part 2 (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37773)

My opinion: Recently my resolve to buy the PS3 despite the high price (which most retailers here in Canada have jacked up $50, from the suggested $650 Canadian to $699 for the 60 GB version I was planning to buy) has been weakened by the fact that several sources had implied that the 360 is easier, faster and cheaper to develop for, which will ensure developers will target it for most exclusive games as well as multi-platform games, at least for a while - meaning that the PS3 may just get ports for some time, something that may hinder the games quality, considering they were originally designed and optimized for the 360.

This article, without trying to specifically badmouth the PS3, like other pro-360 articles I've read, simply says it straight - something I appreciate. I'd known that things weren't looking as bright as they should for Sony, but this really makes me think it'll be better to buy the 360. It's cheaper, it's easier to develop for, more exclusive games will be made for it (the article says that many exclusive games scehduled for the PS3 have moved to the 360), and it probably won't have many ported games.

Granted, things could change in a few years, but despite being sure I would buy a PS3 for quite some time, I'm quite certain now that I'll be buying a 360 first, after the price lowers a bit more - and I'll wait for the PS3, or simply not bother.

Discuss. What do you think of the article and the view it represents?

Renmiri
03-16-2007, 10:53 PM
If I didn't have a PS3 I'd go with the Wii

Dreddz
03-16-2007, 11:03 PM
I was convinced to buy both ages ago. Got a 360, just need a PS3. Why pick one over the other ?

Vincent, Thunder God
03-16-2007, 11:16 PM
If I didn't have a PS3 I'd go with the Wii

I've been surprised at how many people have responded to the Wii favourably - at this point, when gaming has evolved and become a form of media to rival movies and TV, people are starting to realize that graphics and the newest, most technoligically advanced hardware don't mean everything.

Gamers obviously appreciate the values Nintendo demonstrate by making the Wii - new innovation, and quality of gameplay and product despite lower price and lesser graphical power.

I was convinced to buy both ages ago. Got a 360, just need a PS3. Why pick one over the other ?

Two words: budgetary constraints. I've almost saved up enough for a 360 after years of saving - I don't have a part-time job right now, too busy with school, pursuing good marks.

Slothy
03-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Let's look at it this way; I might be concerned right now if the PS3 weren't already on pace to pretty much sell as much in it's first year as the 360 did (though it pretty much outsold what the 360 managed in a year with it's first month in Japan). The only answer will come in the longterm, but I doubt we'll see Sony bowing out anytime soon, especially when they still do have a number of great looking, console-selling exclusives coming up.

Mirage
03-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Sony won't die anytime soon, considering both PS2 hardware sales and PS2 software sales are still higher than for the 360, and they're making quite a bit from that now that PS2s sell with a profit.

That being said, I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon, not until MGS4 is out, and the price has dropped.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Sony won't die anytime soon, considering both PS2 hardware sales and PS2 software sales are still higher than for the 360, and they're making quite a bit from that now that PS2s sell with a profit.

That being said, I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon, not until MGS4 is out, and the price has dropped.

Unfortunately for us Canadians, the price has gone up rather than down. :rolleyes2 So if there is a price drop here, chances are that less of the price will be removed in total, because of the existence of an already added price tag. :mad:

Still, if the console really HAS entered a death spiral already, it's probably just better to stay with the 360 at this point.

blim
03-19-2007, 01:47 AM
My viewpoint hasremained unchanged. I will not pay a high price to have thelatest technology. This applies to both the 360 and PS3. When i can get a decent deal on the 360 i will consider getting one, and the same goes for the PS3 (say when PS3 is under £200). I still haven't finished the games i have for my PS2 (or even started a couple) so i will happily wait til its cheaper.

My preference for the PS3 is solely based on the assumption Final Fantasy 13 will be PS3 only. Same goes for Gran Tourismo. Both consoles will still have killer apps.

Markus. D
03-19-2007, 05:11 AM

I will get both. if not the Wii aswell.

eventually.

Rostum
03-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Why the hell would you waste your money on buying more than one of these new consoles? There are better things to waste your money on in this world. Or is it just mummy and daddy's money you're mooching?

Mirage
03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Plenty of people bought both PS2 and Xbox, did you expect that to change with the new generation?

If you think buying two consoles is a waste of money, consider that there are people in this world that has never been able to buy one single game console ever, and can barely get enough food to survive. Buying any console, no matter what the price, would seem like a complete waste to them.

lol

UltimaMasamune
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't give a rat's ass about which console wins or which console is cheaper as long as a console has the games I want then that's the console I buy, The only thing that interests me about the Wii is motion sensing (which the PS3 is getting in the new EyeToy) and Zelda added to the fact that online sucks (friend codes WTF) and very bad 3rd party support and the only thing that interests me in the X360 is Mistwalker games and a few others (like Gears and Dead Rising) added to the fact that you have to pay for the online and the crappy hardware, the PS3 has all of the games(FF,MGS,R&C,Level 5 and other kickass games) and features I want like free online(while not as good as XBL it is still lag free and easy to use coughfreindcodescough) and Blu-Ray(just need a HDTV though) so yeah in the end the PS3 won't win, the X360 won't win and the Wii won't win the console wars I will win the console wars because I get what i want, but this doesn't mean that I will be getting a PS3 any time soon I still have alot of PS2 and PSP games that haven't beat and because of school and stuff I won't be doing that anytime soon

My preference for the PS3 is solely based on the assumption Final Fantasy 13 will be PS3 only. Same goes for Gran Tourismo. Both consoles will still have killer apps.

well then they are, GT is made by Sony and the chances of FFXIII being ported are pretty damn slim

Roto13
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
You'll care about the console war if the console you buy ends up drying up in a year or two while the others are going strong.

Captain Maxx Power
03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
You'll care about the console war if the console you buy ends up drying up in a year or two while the others are going strong.

What is this, 1996? Seriously, there's like three major consoles out now : Wii, PS3 and XBox360. All three have strong development houses, all three have decent titles, all three have their strengths and weaknesses. People on the interwebs generally constantly bash the PS3 because Sony is a big corporation and corporations = teh evils h0 n0eslolololololol!111. Also, it's cool to prefer the Wii over the PS3, and people will stone you on street corners if you say otherwise, so yeah.

edczxcvbnm
03-19-2007, 05:57 PM
I bought a 360. Owning both of them is not an option until the PS3 hits a $150 price point...which may never happen. With the PS2 and XBox the prices dropped faster and had cheaper market entry prices. PS3 is almost double the PS2 entry price.

There are a few games I would get a PS3 for...maybe. Metal Gear is not enough.

Roto13
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM

What is this, 1996? Seriously, there's like three major consoles out now : Wii, PS3 and XBox360. All three have strong development houses, all three have decent titles, all three have their strengths and weaknesses. People on the interwebs generally constantly bash the PS3 because Sony is a big corporation and corporations = teh evils h0 n0eslolololololol!111.

If that was true, you'd still be wrong because Microsoft is hated a lot more than Sony, and it's bigger, and the 360 is still more popular than the PS3.

Dreddz
03-19-2007, 06:52 PM

What is this, 1996? Seriously, there's like three major consoles out now : Wii, PS3 and XBox360. All three have strong development houses, all three have decent titles, all three have their strengths and weaknesses. People on the interwebs generally constantly bash the PS3 because Sony is a big corporation and corporations = teh evils h0 n0eslolololololol!111.

If that was true, you'd still be wrong because Microsoft is hated a lot more than Sony, and it's bigger, and the 360 is still more popular than the PS3.

But Microsoft never dominated the console market, Sony did.

Slothy
03-19-2007, 08:01 PM

What is this, 1996?

No, this is apparently the year the Dreamcast died. And I was still happier with my DC than my Gamecube, so go figure. If the PS3 did fail inside of two or three years, it would still leave me with all the next gen games I actually want at the moment, so I can't say I'd be overly hurting. It would still have been a worthwhile purchase in my eyes. That said, I don't think it's going to fail. Once it gets in at least one price drop and people pull their heads out of their collective butts and notice that there are some great games coming out for it, it will only get better.

And for the record, I would say people do hate Sony more than Microsoft at the moment since Sony's done some more blatant things to annoy consumers a little more recently. Microsoft still holds the title of most evil high tech company in my eyes though. Aside from screwing over competitors in every way possible, they'll never be able to wash away the memories of Windows 95 and up.

Nominus Experse
03-19-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't care - I'm getting a Wii before I purchase a PS3 or XBOX 360.

ljkkjlcm9
03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Sony isn't close to dieing, and they'll still have their big exclusives that will sell it long term...

Hardware sales for February(In the US):
1) DS: 485,000
2) Wii: 335,000
3) PS2: 295,000
4) 360: 228,000
5) GBA: 136,000
6) PS3: 127,000

I mean, PS2 is still selling strong. It's kinda sad the GBA is outselling the PS3 though...

(I have the top two selling systems! yay for me!)

THE JACKEL

ShunNakamura
03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Is it really a surprise that it is harder to develop for the PS3? I have known that for quite a while now.

Anyways the Current prices I have seen are reasonable given what you get for it. Though of course lack of games will completely kill it, but I doubt they will have a major lack to that point even if they have less than they have had in the past.

In the end it may not be the biggest seller but I also doubt it will flop.

fantasyjunkie
03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't like one console over the other but the fact is that I had to save up a while to get $400 for the 360 and even then I had to think about on whether $400 was worth it before I bought it. It's simple economics. $600 is not worth a video game console. Nothing against Sony, but with the people that I know that build computers I can get a good gaming PC for just a bit more. Besides, if I spent $600 on a video game console the wife would kill me! :eek: