PDA

View Full Version : NiGHTS! And it's not the fake box art I keep posting, either!

Roto13
03-16-2007, 11:05 PM
According to Official Nintendo Magazine, an old series is going to "make it's return"

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/NightsArticle.jpg

Now, look at the box art for NiGHTS Into Dreams.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/348.jpg

Put them together, and...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/ItsNights2.jpg

Perfect fit, isn't it? For once, I'm not just trying to freak everyone out with lies.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=14685#comments

oddler
03-16-2007, 11:09 PM
That IS strong evidence.

Dreddz
03-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow.

LunarWeaver
03-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I still don't know what the fuck NiGHTS is, but I'm very happy for you Blue Bear.

Roto13
03-16-2007, 11:29 PM
I still don't know what the smurf NiGHTS is, but I'm very happy for you Blue Bear.

My Pink Platypus is so ignorant about classic games.

oddler
03-16-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm ignorant, too. I've never even seen a Sega Saturn. :p

Bunny
03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
OMG

LunarWeaver
03-17-2007, 12:06 AM
I still don't know what the smurf NiGHTS is, but I'm very happy for you Blue Bear.

My Pink Platypus is so ignorant about classic games.

Says the Chrono Trigger hater :bigsmile:

Eiko Guy
03-17-2007, 12:12 AM
So what is nights?

Discord
03-17-2007, 12:24 AM
That thing run on compact discs! Since when do we refer to cd-games as classics?!

Roto13
03-17-2007, 12:25 AM
That thing run on compact discs! Since when do we refer to cd-games as classics?!

The ones that came out ten years ago count. :P

Agrias
03-17-2007, 12:28 AM
i think i remember that game....but very vaguely..:mog:

Discord
03-17-2007, 12:38 AM

The ones that came out ten years ago count. :P

Heresy! The time doesn't matter, only the life counts *at this point we insert a Milla Jovovich nod from the 5th Element*, and CDs are not living organic beings. The good ol' tape-driven computers are... possibly!(especially if some stupid insect gets squashed in them, thus messing up the whole tape)

Maxico
03-17-2007, 12:39 AM
NiGHTS was pretty much the last good game made by the Sonic team.

Also, I think two generations is enough distance to qualify as a classic. Even if there has been comparatively little progress in those two generations.

To me, this actually sucks, as I have no intention to get a Wii, and need more than one game to justify the price (Snatcher 2 please!).

I also find it strange that it fits exactly with that specific boxart to the original game. As I don't remember that particular image being very wide-spread, and I don't think the European and American boxes even used that image.
But I guess the way they match up perfectly is hard to argue with.

Also, the state of the game has to be taken into consideration. Does Sega or Yuji Naka own the rights to the series. If Sega, is Sonic Team really fit to do this game justice at the moment?

EDIT: Also, when is the next issue going to be available?
If you say 'in a months time' I'm going to have to hit you.

Madame Adequate
03-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Oh

snap.

I do believe I called it.

XxSephirothxX
03-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Hm. Hmm.

Please, Sonic Team, make this one not suck. It's your chance for redemption. Try to remember what the 90s were like.

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Hmm i remember NiGHTS...do't see what the big deal is though...what make this game so classic that it tops the most wanted sequel lists and classic all time great lists so often? I mean wasnt it just a action game? Its not even an RPG yet it garners so acclaim...

Madame Adequate
03-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Hmm i remember NiGHTS...do't see what the big deal is though...what make this game so classic that it tops the most wanted sequel lists and classic all time great lists so often? I mean wasnt it just a action game? Its not even an RPG yet it garners so acclaim...

I don't recall genre invalidating a game's status as "Absolute Manusing classic".

Maxico
03-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Its not even an RPG yet it garners so acclaim...

Dog, huh? You're not a cat. Why would anyone like a stupid dog like you? All you do is bark.
You never meow.

It's true. There's a PA for every occasion.

Roto13
03-17-2007, 02:27 AM
Since when are RPGs the only good kind of game?

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 03:01 AM
You misunderstand what i'm saying is that puzzle games often lack longevity and story (just like FPS games lack character development) so what makes this one so special?

Roto13
03-17-2007, 03:21 AM
You misunderstand what i'm saying is that puzzle games often lack longevity and story (just like FPS games lack character development) so what makes this one so special?

... Wow.

Well, for one thing, it's not a puzzle game.

Another thing, a game doesn't need a good story to be awesome.

Yet another thing, a game has as much longevity as it has replay value (which good puzzle games have in spades, by the way). Would you say that Tetris isn't a classic game? How about Mega Man?

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 03:27 AM
Personally i cant play a puzzle game for long enough to call it a "classic" if it doesnt have a good story or something that makes me determined to play...as for Tetris it sucks...always has, always will.

The only puzzle game ive ever spent any real time with to bust a move 2 (lol popping bubbles is just SO much fun...*sarcasm*) but thats only on 2 player...

Roto13
03-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Personally i cant play a puzzle game for long enough to call it a "classic" if it doesnt have a good story or something that makes me determined to play...as for Tetris it sucks...always has, always will.

The only puzzle game ive ever spent any real time with to bust a move 2 (lol popping bubbles is just SO much fun...*sarcasm*) but thats only on 2 player...

Well that's your fault for having a crappy attention span.

*plays Meteos*

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 03:30 AM

*plays Meteos*

Heh slinging around insults is hardly going to enforce your point roto...:-P

Erdrick Holmes
03-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Maybe this is that big surprise Sega was mentioning earlier. This is fantastic.

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Thats the thing it isnt Sega anymore its Nintendo as they are the ones who bought Sonic team...

Roto13
03-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Thats the thing it isnt Sega anymore its Nintendo as they are the ones who bought Sonic team...

What?

Erdrick Holmes
03-17-2007, 03:57 AM

Uh... no. Sonic Team makes games for other consoles, like the Sonic game for the 360 or Phantasy Star Universe.

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Maybe this is that big surprise Sega was mentioning earlier. This is fantastic.

This is what i was referring to...Erdrick said that Sega had the surprise...well since Sega doesnt own Sonic team anymore and it was Sonic Team that made and hold the rights to NiGHTS...it means that its Nintendo that have the "big surprise"...anyway if Sonic Team do release another NiGHTS then Nintendo are gonna make big money on it...

Erdrick Holmes
03-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Sega and Sonic Team are still together, dude.

Fatal Impurity
03-17-2007, 04:27 AM
I could of swore that I heard that Sega sold Sonic Team due to the resounding loss of money incurred from the "dreamcast incident"...

EDIT: I've done a little trawling on the net and i cant find anything on Sonic Team being sold...man i feel like an ass right now...

Roto13
03-17-2007, 05:17 AM

*gives you a cookie for behaving*

Erdrick Holmes
03-17-2007, 05:25 AM
No chocolate chip? *kicks you in the back so hard your kidnies pop out of your nose.*

Maxico
03-17-2007, 11:28 AM

What's left of Sonic Team anyway.

I'm actually a little worried about this now. Due to the aforementioned current state of Sonic Team, the fact that classic NiGHTS gameplay works alot better with an analog stick than a pointer and the fact that this is making Shenmue 3 look alot further off.

JKTrix
03-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Everyone hold on a moment.

Before you get your hopes up, take a look at Mushroom Kingdom Hearts (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=102871).

Different magazines, yes. But they are both the APRIL issue. This is potentially an April Fools joke.

Potentially.

Regardless, I wouldn't be worried about any 'traditional' game coming to the Wii. Wii has 'normal/traditional' controllers as well. I would definitely be concerned about the further burial of the Shenmue series though.

Erdrick Holmes
03-17-2007, 02:44 PM
If it is an april fools joke it's a pretty fucking sick one.

Mirage
03-17-2007, 03:20 PM

*plays Meteos*

Heh slinging around insults is hardly going to enforce your point roto...:-P

It does, because he's right and you're wrong. A game can be a classic because of a plethora of reasons. You not liking a few of those reason doesn't change anything. Tetris is a classic. Mario Bros is a classic. Neither of these have a particularly awesome story, and I personally find tetris lame as fuck. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's a classic.

Discord
03-18-2007, 02:32 AM
Tetris is a great game if implemented properly and absolutely awesome if you don't have anything else to do. I mean, alone the title-midi is worth a fortune.:p

Cruise Control
03-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I've done a little trawling on the net and i cant find anything on Sonic Team being sold...man i feel like an ass right now...You do sound like an ass. Especially when everybody knows that your wrong, but your to busy arguing to notice. Quality puzzle games have longevity. Tetris, Lumines, Meteos. And sweeping generalizations about genres will get you nowhere in an argument.

Erdrick Holmes
03-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Boys, not in the house.

Fatal Impurity
03-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I've done a little trawling on the net and i cant find anything on Sonic Team being sold...man i feel like an ass right now...You do sound like an ass. Especially when everybody knows that your wrong, but your to busy arguing to notice. Quality puzzle games have longevity. Tetris, Lumines, Meteos. And sweeping generalizations about genres will get you nowhere in an argument.

I admit i'm wrong about the whole Sega thing but there is no need to throw it in my face like that, have some civility for god's sake! As for what you guys call "classic" i call a pointless and genuinely boring piece of software so get over it. Afterall not EVERYONE in the world is going to share the same opinion as you and you should respect that! You make it sound like im insulting your mother or something which really makes you look pathetic for caring so much about a game that's over a decade old.

DK
03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Final Fantasy VII is (just) over a decade old now, and all the FF games before it obviously are too, yet under your criteria they're mostly classics, and I'm pretty sure most people at this site care about at least one of them. DOES THAT MEAN WE'RE ALL PATHETIC FOR LIKING OLD GAMES? OH NOEZ!!

Also, I really wanted to play NiGHTS back in the day. I hope this ends up being real so I can finally find out what the deal is.

Fatal Impurity
03-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Final Fantasy VII is (just) over a decade old now, and all the FF games before it obviously are too, yet under your criteria they're mostly classics, and I'm pretty sure most people at this site care about at least one of them. DOES THAT MEAN WE'RE ALL PATHETIC FOR LIKING OLD GAMES? OH NOEZ!!

Also, I really wanted to play NiGHTS back in the day. I hope this ends up being real so I can finally find out what the deal is.

I never said people are pathetic for liking game's that old i said people are pathetic for having ago at someone who doesnt like them. People who are obsessive over something as small and as old as Tetris needs their head examined.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I never said people are pathetic for liking game's that old i said people are pathetic for having ago at someone who doesnt like them. People who are obsessive over something as small and as old as Tetris needs their head examined.

If your criteria for not liking an old game is simply that it's an old game, then you deserve to have a go had at you. By that logic, X-Com is a bad game. And that notion is roffleworthy.

Maxico
03-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Judging by your previous post, you seem to think that NiGHTS is a puzzle game.

Have you actually played it?

Fatal Impurity
03-18-2007, 06:52 PM
No i havnt played it i was just wondering (originally anyway) what the big fuss was about...

If your criteria for not liking an old game is simply that it's an old game, then you deserve to have a go had at you. By that logic, X-Com is a bad game. And that notion is roffleworthy.

I dont think a game is bad for being old i just dont think people should be crazed and obsessively protective over a game that's time has passed!

CimminyCricket
03-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Roto, I swear, if this turns out to be another one of your little, "LAWL SEE LOOK AT THE PICTURES OF NIGHTS AND PISS YOUR PANTS, CIMANIM" endeavors I'll find you.

FIND YOU!

find you

Leeza
03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
This is going to get you a warning. Do not speak to anyone in this manner.

Roto13
03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Roto, I swear, if this turns out to be another one of your little, "LAWL SEE LOOK AT THE PICTURES OF NIGHTS AND PISS YOUR PANTS, CIMANIM" endeavors I'll find you.

FIND YOU!

find you

It is, but it's not fake this time. Your soiled pants will have a purpose.

Shoeberto
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I've never played NiGHTS but I always really wanted to. I'm interested in seeing if 1) this is reall happening and 2) how they plan on rolling with it.

Discord
03-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Classic is:

[edit] Adjective
1.) exemplary of a particular style
2.) exhibiting timeless quality

clas·sic [ klássik ]
adjective

Definition:

1. top quality: generally considered to be of the highest quality or lasting value, especially in the arts

2. definitive: authoritative and perfect as a standard of its kind
a classic example of a mixed metaphor

3. always fashionable: always fashionable and elegant, usually because of simplicity and restraint in style
the classic "little black dress"

4. generally accepted: conforming to generally accepted principles or methods

5. extremely and usually comically apropos: apropos to an extreme degree, usually with a comical or ironic twist

Pronunciation: (klas'ik), [key]
—adj.
1. of the first or highest quality, class, or rank: a classic piece of work.
2. serving as a standard, model, or guide: the classic method of teaching arithmetic.
3. of or pertaining to Greek and Roman antiquity, esp. with reference to literature and art.
4. modeled upon or imitating the style or thought of ancient Greece and Rome: The 17th and 18th centuries were obsessed with classic ideals.
5. of or adhering to an established set of artistic or scientific standards or methods: a classic example of mid-Victorian architecture.
6. basic; fundamental: the classic rules of warfare.
7. of enduring interest, quality, or style: a classic design; classic clothes.
8. of literary or historical renown: the classic haunts of famous writers.
9. traditional or typical: a classic comedy routine.
10. definitive: the classic reference work on ornithology.
11. of or pertaining to automobiles distinguished by elegant styling, outstanding engineering, and fine workmanship that were built between about 1925 and 1948.

:confused: + :shoot: = :greenie:

Issue settled?

Fatal Impurity
03-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Fair enough NiGHTS a classic in it's own genre (by the majority of peoples opinions anyway) and i suppose Tetris is too (again in its own genre and according to the opinions of the mainstream); but of all videogames? how could they really be that good?

Nominus Experse
03-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Just play the fucking game and you'll understand.

This is wondrous news or a very, very sick joke.

CimminyCricket
03-19-2007, 04:30 AM
Agreed, and if it is a sick joke, I'll still hunt down Roto just for posting it, even though he wouldn't have known.

Erdrick Holmes
03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Joking about a new NiGHTS game is almost as bad as shouting 'fire' in a movie theater.

JKTrix
03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Everyone hold on a moment.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/19/onm-says-world-exclusive-not-april-fools-prank/

It's not a joke. Proceed with the hype.

They mention in the article that a source has told them that "NiGHTS Wii has been in development for six months already." There was a poll on Sega.com a week or so ago, asking which game/character users would like to see. NiGHTS won (Shenmue wasn't on the list). The 'source' said that the poll was to reassure Sega that their decision to work on a new NiGHTS would be well received.

I just hope they don't kill another good franchise.

Roto13
03-19-2007, 01:03 PM
*licks Cimanim*

CimminyCricket
03-19-2007, 03:14 PM
>< OMG!
Thanks! :cD
Anyway, *in a voice that a child would use when scolded* I'm sorry for not believing you Roto.

^_^