PDA

View Full Version : Getting mobbed...

Shiva_
03-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Has anyone ever gotten mobbed by a lot of monsters (like >=5-6) while grinding, farming, going for a mark, completing an objective, finding items, exploring, etc., which resulted in a Game Over or almost resulted in one?

Something like this happened to me twice last night:

I was in the underground part of that tower last night searching for some armor and the ribbon. I got mobbed two times while I was in the B3 section of it while getting those.

The first time was when I was in the NE wing. I was around a stupid Magic Pot as I was searching for a chest. :mad2: I had Basch and Vaan berserk (I have them in it to own enemies super quick), and one of them accidentally slammed it despite holding R2 to cancel actions. You know the drill; give them an elixer and don't hit them. Anyway, I managed to get away, turned gambits off, and used Dispelga to get rid of the berserk. Suddenly, like 5 skeletons begin to appear, and the pot is still raging mad trying to pull Flare. I try giving the pot an elixer to calm it down, but my guys get pummeled with AoE magic by the skellies. I finally manage to give the pot the elixer. Anyway, upon killing those skellies, couple of them end up becoming Necrofiends, and they begin viciously slapping my guys. Some of them die. It was a vicious cycle of Curaja, Arise, etc. I end up hauling ass out of there with Balthier and Fran left alive. The Necrofiends and additional spawning skellies then come with us. Then Balthier dies, and I manage to exit back into the ring with Fran the only one standing. I was then able to full-heal everyone after this mob incident, thank goodness. :)

I then got mobbed again when I was in the SW wing while I was going for my next piece of armor. :mad2: It was beside the chest and had happened as I was about to open it. In that room, 5 zombies came around and starting spamming Cloying Breath and Lvl3 spells. Vaan and Basch get sap status. Unfortunately, once again, I had Vaan and Basch in berserk as I have them in it to take down everything lightning fast.
Ashe couldn't keep up with her own duties of healing. Anyway, after three of the zombies died, they then turned into Necrofiends who always get a kick out of spamming Phantasmal Gaze, and even worse, Curse. Next thing I knew, I had three Necrofiends on me and like 3 zombies (another had spawned), and my guys were getting hit with these things like crazy. My first team (Vaan, Basch, Ashe) died in no time with Basch in disease status (max HP at 1). I then switched in my reserves. In no time, one of them gets hit with Curse again and gets the disease status. Others except Fran get sap due to cloying breath. Balthier and Penelo get confuse status because of the Necrofiends' love for Phantasmal Gaze. With this group, I'm running around trying to get out back onto the ring but keep hitting walls/dead-ends and am lost. Next thing I know, Penelo and Balthier are dead, so Fran is the only one left alive. So I go into the menu and equip Fran with Excalibur and the ribbon that I had just gotten beforehand. Then, thankfully, I'm able to arise everyone. Then, Phantasmal Gaze hits again. It misses Fran thanks to her ribbon but hits the others. I go back to the menu and equip Balthier with healing rod and bowline sash, and Penelo with euclids sextant, demon shield, and bowline sash. The lingering confuse state doesn't hurt me but actually helps since Balthier puts a Regen on Penelo with the rod. :p Fran is then able to own those mobs with that Excalibur while everybody else supports. After defeating them, I was then able to full-heal everybody in that same spot. :) After that, I opened the chest to get that piece of armor. :) Then I switched my main guys back in and put their previous equipment back on.

Both of these times, I was so close to a Game Over, and I hadn't saved in a while! :eek: My guys have the most ultimate weapons, and I guess I got overly confident in that B3 section (I tore through B1 and B2). I've been mobbed like this before by like 4 Abysteels and 3 Hecteyes at the same time in the 2nd part of the mines.

Setzer Gabianni
03-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I remember being on the Leviathan one time, and 4 judges attacked me all at once. Yes, I share your pain :(

gudkid
03-17-2007, 01:58 PM
my first mob was in Bhujerba in the Lhushu mines while i was running away from 6 skellies and as i was running, more skellies kept spawning until there were like 10-12 of 'em and i ended up dead...
coz my char got caught in the middle of the skellies....
wahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Yes, it happens quite often. Nabudis is the worst with those pesky Baknamy.

For times when you get mobbed: Use Espers

Zalera for the "live ones"
Exodus or Adrammelech for the undead

They clear a path across the mobs :D:D:D

Angel_from_hell
03-17-2007, 04:16 PM
When I was in the Henne Mines i got surrounded by a gang of jellies, and I thought I could kill them with ease but that wasnīt really the case. I ended up in the middle of the mob of jellies and the room was small so when everything started to look critical I had to fight my way barley alive and it was a real hell to get out from the small room. To my luck I came out alive but with very low hp.

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 04:57 PM
The Jelly Trap ? Aye, it is a bit of a surprise. But I used my "barbecue gambit" there (Oil then Fire /Fira) and got out OK.

Roasted Flan anyone ?

Angel_from_hell
03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
The Jelly Trap ? Aye, it is a bit of a surprise. But I used my "barbecue gambit" there (Oil then Fire /Fira) and got out OK.

Roasted Flan anyone ?

Why didnīt I think of that, I was so suprised when they all fell down that I didnīt even think of another strategy than attacking them with ordinary melee attacks. That was a really great strategy, I looked in the guide, and it said that the best technique was to use Belaias, but that didnīt work for me at all.

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Belias has fira, you just need to have his Summoner cast Oil :D

PS: As a sidenote, his overdrive Hellfire is NOT a fire based attack so it can be used against fire immune monsters.

No.78
03-17-2007, 09:41 PM
I have, when I fleed into a dead end =/

rubah
03-17-2007, 11:25 PM
I hate being ambushed by those flans. Even when I went back with a much higher level it was still annoying.

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 11:37 PM
But they drop $$$ loot (Foul Liquid iirc)

Shiva_
03-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Belias has fira, you just need to have his Summoner cast Oil :D

PS: As a sidenote, his overdrive Hellfire is NOT a fire based attack so it can be used against fire immune monsters.

It is fire-based. I was using Belias to try to fight the Bomb King one time (I was attempting to go for the Zodiac Spear after raithwall's tomb), and his Hellfire attack healed him. For those going for the Zodiac Spear early in the game and are using Belias to fight the Bomb King, that's why it's important to dismiss him as he's charging his Hellfire attack.

On the other hand, quickening concurrences are non-elemental and are considering physical damages. The Inferno concurrence, which looks just like Belias' Firaja when you fought him, did damage to the Bomb King.

When I was in the Henne Mines i got surrounded by a gang of jellies, and I thought I could kill them with ease but that wasnīt really the case. I ended up in the middle of the mob of jellies and the room was small so when everything started to look critical I had to fight my way barley alive and it was a real hell to get out from the small room. To my luck I came out alive but with very low hp.

That happened to me, too, during my first time through the Henne Mines. I thought I had to fight them before I could progress through. I didn't know I could oil and fire them. I just physically attacked them and used any random AoE spell (like Dark). Well, my guys kept getting confused, hurting each other, and they kept dying. It ended up resulting in a Game Over. ugrrh!!! I was so mad. I ended up turning the game off for the night. I then found out that I didn't have to fight them and that I could just run.

There's a similar mobbing incident that occurs in another gate junction in a secret area of those mines, but that one involves a different much much tougher type of enemies. However, for people who are wary and know of it, it's often referred to as the Ultimate Leveling-Up Room.

I remember being on the Leviathan one time, and 4 judges attacked me all at once. Yes, I share your pain :(

On the ship, some people trip the alarms on purpose so they can have more soldiers to fight in order to gain more EXP, LP, and items. They just keep coming after you if you do this as you said.

During a time while the alarms are on the whole time, some even stay for a while constantly fighting soldiers for LP. These people are usually a bit higher leveled, though (they generally had leveled a bit at the beginning). If I were to try chaining soldiers at this point, the sound of the alarms would get quite annoying.

Psychotic
03-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Yeah, those bastard flans in the Henne mines caught me out the first time I encountered them. Same goes for my first venture into the Necrohol of Nabudis and the Baknamy attack. I didn't return there until I'd levelled up 10 or so times.

Also, whilst hunting for a mark in the Barheim passage (I believe its name is Bloodwing? I know it's a bat, anyway) zombies and undead floaty things who cast magic (it's a technical term) spawned like crazy in the room where the mark is, and I had to retreat to a room with a save point more than once.

Angel_from_hell
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Bespoken by Setzer Gabianni

I remember being on the Leviathan one time, and 4 judges attacked me all at once. Yes, I share your pain
On the ship, some people trip the alarms on purpose so they can have more soldiers to fight in order to gain more EXP, LP, and items. They just keep coming after you if you do this as you said.

Originally Bespoken by Shiva_

During a time while the alarms are on the whole time, some even stay for a while constantly fighting soldiers for LP. These people are usually a bit higher leveled, though (they generally had leveled a bit at the beginning). If I were to try chaining soldiers at this point, the sound of the alarms would get quite annoying.

I used the alarm to get the soldiers to come to me, that way I could easily gain EXP and LP. But after about 99 soldiers they will stop coming, it is a great place to gain levle in.

Formalhaut
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I got mobbed in the Westersand. I was hunting that mutany wolf. Then 4-5 wolfs came at me! I only had Vaan as well! But I did escape with critical Hp. Well, bout half but thats still bad!

:eep:

Garnie
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
i remember th insident in the mines.liek shedloads of jellys out for my blood talk about vicious gaming.
i no longer eat jelly.

qwertysaur
03-24-2007, 04:01 AM
In the stillshrine of mirriam I got moobed by ghasts. I ran into the negulmuur (I think thats spelled right) and was overwhelmed by the ghasts he summoned. I barely made it out of there alive, with only Fran running for my life.

look_out_below
03-27-2007, 03:28 AM
I once got mobbed by two salmander entites. I was between them and had forgotten that i had auto-haste caste gambit on my party. Fran choose a most inopportune to caste haste on herself. I know 2 doesnt generally count as a mob but if caught off guard by one of those glowing orbs you are simply pwnd with a slight chance of being able to get away with maybe one or two people (if your lucky) in your entire party still alive. With 2 you see the GAME OVER screen in record time, there is just no chance to get away.

Shiva_
03-27-2007, 03:53 AM
I once got mobbed by two salmander entites. I was between them and had forgotten that i had auto-haste caste gambit on my party. Fran choose a most inopportune to caste haste on herself. I know 2 doesnt generally count as a mob but if caught off guard by one of those glowing orbs you are simply pwnd with a slight chance of being able to get away with maybe one or two people (if your lucky) in your entire party still alive. With 2 you see the GAME OVER screen in record time, there is just no chance to get away.
I wonder how 2 entites/elementals can be there at the same time in a given spot/section? I've never seen more than one simultaneously in any of my playthroughs. There's just always been only 1 there if the weather conditions in the given section were met. I don't know if it's a bug in your copy or not. I thought it wasn't possible to have 2 there.

btw, I've never encountered the salamand entite in the sandsea before in any of my playthroughs. but I do remember when I got killed by that undin entite that time in that tower on my first playthrough. On my current one, I encountered that same entite again in the cerobi steppe and took revenge on it. :D

The Unknown Guru
03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
ROBLON.

gudkid
03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
i just hate entities and elementals....
i always get mobbed in the paramina rifts and when i get really unlucky, i get to be caught between an ice elemental and the entity there...
i hate it when i'm trying to level up and when these entities cast on the fiends then i kill the fiends then they get pissed off (rarely though) hen they start casting the ultimate spells then i die after a few shots...
i just hate it...

i do recall the jellies in the henne mines.. i think they're found in the lower right junction in the map... the part where you have to press a switch i think..... then the whole place just gets filled with jellies...