PDA

View Full Version : Your State

escobert
03-18-2007, 01:32 AM
what are some little known things about your state?
Well here's something about the Republic of Vermont.

The Constitution of the Vermont Republic was drafted and ratified in 1777, and was the first written national constitution in North America. It was also the first constitution in the New World to outlaw slavery and allow all adult males to vote, regardless of property ownership. During the Vermont Republic, sometimes referred to as "the first republic", a veiled suggestion of future independence, the government issued its own coinage and currency, and operated a postal service. The general Assembly and Governor's Council adopted the infantry banner of the Green Mountain Boys as the national flag of the nascent republic. The Governor of the Republic, Thomas Chittenden, with consent of his council and the unicameral General Assembly, appointed ambassadors to France, the Netherlands, and the American government seated in Philadelphia. The Vermont Republic is sometimes referred to as a "reluctant republic" because many early citizens favored political union with the United States. The independent status held until 1791, when Vermont joined the Union, in part as a non-slaveholding counterweight to the slaveholding Kentucky. The admission of Vermont was supported by the North, the smaller states, and states concerned about the impact of the sea-to-sea grants held by other states. Thomas Chittenden served as head of state for Vermont for most of this period, and became its first governor as a member-state in the United States.

Freya
03-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Well most know mine was the first state to allow women to vote BUT the only reason was because they need to count women to be able to become a state.

Rye
03-18-2007, 01:44 AM
New York is is known for it's diversity and large population of immigrants. New York also contained the first suburb in the United States, Levittown, which was built in the 1950s;

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-18-2007, 01:44 AM
My home province is New Brunswick and is the only officially bilingual province in Canada, in spite the fact that the country itself is officially bilingual.

Jojee
03-18-2007, 02:15 AM
Wisconsin:

Moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo is the best state ever cos' Jojee is there

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Um..I live here? That's pretty much it. ;___;

XxSephirothxX
03-18-2007, 02:56 AM
I live in Georgia. It sucks. Nice music scene in Athens, though.

PyroManiak
03-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Boston...

pwned the britts in colonial times...
and RED SOX+CELTICS+PATRIOTS FTW!!

GooeyToast
03-18-2007, 03:03 AM
Jeffery Dahmer was raised in Bath, Ohio, and attended Ohio State University before dropping out after one term.

Dynast-Kid
03-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Strange Laws from Tennessee!
-You can't shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.

-More than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel.

-It is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.

-Skunks may not be carried into the state.

-Dyersburg Exclusive: It is illegal for a woman to call a man for a date.

escobert
03-18-2007, 03:48 AM
It's illegal to whistle under water here in Vermont :p

Martyr
03-18-2007, 04:04 AM
I like to lie about where I live.

Let's choose Nevada.

Truth is, contrary to the sentiments of Chuck Norris, this is not Bat Country.

Tavrobel
03-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Many people don't realise that the UK is actually an American state, doing whatever the American government wants it to. Ha ha ha! Get me and my biting political satire! :hahaha:

Someone is just tootin' to get that 1984 agression out of his veins, isn't he?

Maryland is known for crab cakes and football?

Kirobaito
03-18-2007, 05:18 AM
Texas has more high-school football teams than any other state, in addition to having more Division 1-A football teams than any other state.

We were the first state to be recognized as an independent republic (Hawai'i was also a republic in the 1890's, and California's Bear Flag Republic was never recognized).

When Texas was annexed in 1845 (the only state to join the Union by way of treaty and not territorial annexation), it retained the right to fly its flag the same height as the US flag.

The Capitol building in Austin stands seven feet higher than the US Capitol building in Washington.

Laredo, Texas, is the world's largest inland port.

Texas also has more control over the water along its coastline (10 miles) than any other state (most of the rest are 3 miles).

El Paso, Texas is closer to Needles, California (516 miles) than it is to Dallas, Texas (571 miles).

The King Ranch in Texas is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

Agent Proto
03-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Virginia is the most populous state without a professional team in the four major leagues. :(

Yamaneko
03-18-2007, 05:26 AM
We have Sean Robinson.

Odaisé Gaelach
03-18-2007, 05:39 AM
During the Ulster plantation in the 17th centuary, Co. Monaghan was not one of the counties planted because the Earls at that time had already swore fealty to the King of England.

Jowy
03-18-2007, 06:14 AM
We've got the Amish.

Agrias
03-18-2007, 06:21 AM
haha! Here's something about the province of british columbia!

Its really cold and wet all the time and we only have about a month of hot weather. -nods-

Jojee
03-18-2007, 06:34 AM
We've got the Amish.

You're not special, we got 'em too :p But here, take them all *pushes them over*

eestlinc
03-18-2007, 07:14 AM
I live in Georgia. It sucks. Nice music scene in Athens, though.
very true

Washington has the head of George Washington on all its state highway signs. It looks really weird.

Zeldy
03-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Im classed as someone from Merseyside. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merseyside)
Merseyside is responsible for scousers. I apologise. I live right near Liverpool :(

Its only recently after Merseyside expanded that Ive been classed as one, I just to be all posh and from lancashire B)

Tasura
03-18-2007, 11:21 AM
My home province is New Brunswick and is the only officially bilingual province in Canada, in spite the fact that the country itself is officially bilingual.

Bunny
03-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Despite popular belief, California actually sucks.

LoveArya
03-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Northern Georgia.....in the mountains.....with the bears and the coyotes and everything. well, its not all that bad, just boring, so go to Atlanta, and maybe you'll catch a drive-by or something.

Martyr
03-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Despite popular belief, California actually sucks.

But... At any time of the year, can't you go surfing and snowboarding in the same day?

Ki Ki
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Has very good cheesecake! :chef:

Old Manus
03-18-2007, 03:39 PM
My state is liquid lolololol

But yeah, West Glamorgan is pretty sux. All we got going is for us is Swansea City FC (fo life).

Rocket Edge
03-18-2007, 04:05 PM
The village i live in produced the Irish whisky Tullamore Dew if you have ever heard of it.

It hosts many big castles that are seen everywhere.

Also my county produced the actor Aidan Quinn.

Not bad for a 64,000 population. :monster:

Jings
03-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm from Ayrshire in Scotland, UK. We produced Robert Burns, you all sing one of his wonderful songs every New Year :)

This thread is for Americans though, I have family in Missouri. I don't really know anything about it though. Oh! Apparently Kansas City is in Missouri and not Kansas, either that or my uncle's pulling my leg.