PDA

View Full Version : The new internet explorer

CimminyCricket
03-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Alright, I now have internet on MY computer, not my parents, MY computer. And well, since it only has Windows ME on it and I just bought a bad ass guitar, I'm in no mood to cough up the 90$ for Windows Xp, where might I find the new IE update?

Mirage
03-18-2007, 03:45 AM
You would pay for WinXP? :p
And um, I'm not sure if IE7 is available for ME. Try Firefox though.

Roto13
03-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Seriously. Firefox.

CimminyCricket
03-18-2007, 04:13 AM
I feel really, REALLY stupid right now, I...Just realised that I could go to microsoft.com and download it. I can't get IE 7, but I was able to get IE 6, and how to I get fire fox, should that end up being what I want to get?

Roto13
03-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Yes. Get Firefox. Mozilla.com.

CimminyCricket
03-18-2007, 06:11 AM
I've downloaded firefox.
And can, officially state, that IE SMURFING SUCKS MY HIND QUARTERS!!

Discord
03-18-2007, 11:04 PM
But it sucks them well!

*raises te IE banner and marches against the stream*

Roto13
03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
But it sucks them well!

*raises te IE banner and marches against the stream*

Get 'im!

*tackles*

ValiantKnight
03-19-2007, 01:16 PM
*helps Roto*
sorry, just too many issues with Internet Explorer to support it as a primary browser.

It's secondary here :)

Discord
03-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had explorer(s) for past 10 years and never had a problem with either of them. Hardly any viruses (had some on Win 98 back in the unsafe era) and good performance. I've tried Netscape, Mozilla and Firefox, just for the sake of trying them, but other than testing if my websites run on them smoothly, they've remained unused.

I guess it's just one of those things you either don't care about or hate. (e.g. Windows in general) I for one hate Quicktime and other nuinsense written by Apple, but I'm pretty sure that quite a number of you love iTunes.:p

ValiantKnight
03-20-2007, 02:49 AM
/never used itunes.

Hate realplayer... quicktime is..... ok
WMP is ok
a third party media viewer is nice though.

I merely like firefox, because of a few reasons..
Sharp decline in "in your face" pop up ads, those new types of advertising pop ups that are clever and new in internet explorer. Also for the noscript and adblock extensions(see above). Also it just seems faster on some sites.

Nominus Experse
03-20-2007, 03:20 AM
Active X is required to view this website.

Oh fuck off, IE.

Discord
03-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Realplayer is alright. At least it doesn't remind you of its existance every so often. Quicktime is just ---- though. Excuse the expression.

Roto13
03-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Realplayer is trying to take over your computer.

CimminyCricket
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
I really, really like FireFox, it's so much more user friendly than IE.
Cim says, "I really want this to happen now!"
FireFox says, "OK, we'll take care of that yesterday."
IE says, "Wait a few more minutes until I can take care of it."

Discord
03-20-2007, 05:48 PM

No idea what you mean, really. I installed it once and it never bothered me again. Quicktime on the other hand closes a full-screen application to announce that it really, really wants to become iTunes now.

I love iTunes. It's a great program. One friend of mine installled it and I had to reinstall all the sound drivers for her. The other did it as well, the taskbar stopped displaying windors and after 5 hours of struggle we had to reinstall the whole OS. The best thing about it though, is that you can't just ask you PC to remove it and start working like before. Nope, it'll take 50% of your system files and drivers with you. Great program. Love it.

Mirage
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
I use Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative. They're a lot less intrusive.

rubah
03-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Why you should use Real Alternative (http://jogin.com/weblog/archives/2004/03/07/real_proof)

Roto13
03-20-2007, 10:34 PM

No idea what you mean, really.

Why you should use Real Alternative (http://jogin.com/weblog/archives/2004/03/07/real_proof)

Almost ever customer mentioned the deceptive download process and the way in which RealPlayer took over their system, installing software they didn't want and didn't need.

ValiantKnight
03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Hmm
I stopped using real player about a year ago, maybe 2.
Has it changed alot since then roto?
I found no alternative then, although I did not have a great deal of real media, so I did not try hard to find one.
I simply quit it cold turkey, and quicktime after it. This thread has been... enlightening :)
I can now go find a few of those older files on CD that I didn't transfer this last formatting.

Quicktime just seemed like an "aol browser" type media player to me, the more versions it went through. Although it was not terribly annoying.

I really enjoyed media player 6.4, but do have version 10 now as well.
Once you disable most of the junk in it, its rather simple. 6.4 was so insanely simple, compact, and worked like a champ.

But that brings me back to real.. in its earliest days seemed alright. A little annoying, but it was new and more useful to me at the time than WMP. I did notice the garbage added on with each version. Unlike WMP or Quicktime, where the additions were mere annoyances... Real added actual garbage to their program. I vividly remember it defaulting to pro/gold/pay version on the free version quite alot.

It seems from real's website, they even offer virus protection now?

I guess I better stop before I write a 2 page paper.
Sorry if my opinions offended anyone.

Discord
03-20-2007, 11:31 PM
I actually use a variety of players.

Music: WinAmp
Video: Windows Media Player, if it doesn't work VLC
Internet streaming: Windows Media Player, QuickTime or Real depending on the extension of the file. Primarily Windows Media Player.

So, my main players are pretty much WinAmp and WMP. VLC is the last resort and the other are just there in case I need to play a file with some idiotic extension like .real or .mov through a stream. This is why, I want the later to be quiet. Quicktime has a problem with that simple request.

iTunes :shoot:

Roto13
03-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Hmm
I stopped using real player about a year ago, maybe 2.
Has it changed alot since then roto?

I don't remember what it was like then and I certainly don't use it now. :p

I keep it simple. Winamp for audio, VLC for video. Gets the job done.

rubah
03-21-2007, 02:09 AM
I've started using itunes for playing music on my mac since there is a lack of quality players for os x! and it's awesomegorgeous;o