PDA

View Full Version : What LANGUAGE/S Do You Speak?

Yliette
03-19-2007, 04:08 AM
Apparently most of us here in EoFF speak and understand English. But I'm wondering what other language/s you can speak. Either English is your 2nd language or it's your native tongue and you speak another language.

Since I live in The Philippines (IMO a highly corrupted third-world country), I can speak Tagalog (our official language) fluently and also English. In fact I consider myself more fluent in the latter.

I also know a little written Chinese. I'm also self-studying Spanish. I plan to take up Basic Spanish next semester in college. :love:

Feed my curiosity please. :D

Shlup
03-19-2007, 04:19 AM
I only speak English. I use American Sign Language pretty well but I'm not fluent.

yanis
03-19-2007, 04:19 AM
I only speak in Greek, but I speak/write English here!!!
Sometimes with my sister I speak English or Russian for fun!!!:D

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-19-2007, 04:22 AM
English is my mother tongue, French is my second language. Might be taking Japanese next semester, depending if I can I have room after I schedule the other course that I need.

Nominus Experse
03-19-2007, 04:22 AM
English and Al Bhed because I am retarded in the sense that I would rather learn a simple, made-up encrypted language rather than a completely new language that actually has uses outside of being lame.

Xaven
03-19-2007, 04:33 AM
I'm a native English speaker. I'm taking Japanese 1 at a community college on Saturdays to fulfill A-G requirements (college thing).

Whee, Mt. SAC.

Oh wait, I can write in Gnommish too.

~*~Celes~*~
03-19-2007, 04:34 AM
English is my main language, French is my second. I'm in French 2 this year =]

abrojtm
03-19-2007, 04:37 AM
English is my native language. I'd consider myself fluent in French. If Latin was spoken, I'd be fluent in it too. I've also studied Spanish for a year.

Vermachtnis
03-19-2007, 04:38 AM
I speak English and took three years of Spanish in High School so I can get around pretty decentally. I'd like to learn German though.

Leen-Leen
03-19-2007, 04:38 AM
English was my first language. I tried to learn Japanese when I used to live in Japan, but since I was little, it didn't really turn out too well. But I do know German (since I lived in Austria), and right now I'm learning Spanish (since now I live in Mexico.) My family is from the Philippines, too, so they speak Tagalog. But I was born in the US, I can only sort of understand what they're saying, but I can't speak Tagalog.

Agrias
03-19-2007, 04:39 AM
i speak and read greek kinda. i speak a liiiittle bit of french, punjabi, and hindi. and then my regular is english. -nods-

Yliette
03-19-2007, 04:42 AM
My family is from the Philippines, too, so they speak Tagalog. But I was born in the US, I can only sort of understand what they're saying, but I can't speak Tagalog.

Wow! A fellow Pinoy EoFF'er! :D

Same with my four-year old Canadian-born cousin. He can understand Tagalog but not speak it. :D

Martyr
03-19-2007, 04:50 AM
I speak fluent English.

I speak horrible, disgusting, chopped up spanish. The result of our fine Public school systems. And out Private colleges. And... Well, I just suck at learning languages.

I get by.

Diango12
03-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Mother language English- Fluent(not really) in Japanese~Meow? :moomba:

Yamaneko
03-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Spanish and English fluently. Little bit of French and I'll sign up for some Russian classes before starting my MA work.

Leeza
03-19-2007, 07:32 AM
It's getting down to just English. I used to know Russian very well, but with no one to speak it to, I'm slowly losing it. :cat:

Yamaneko
03-19-2007, 07:43 AM
:(

Mitch
03-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Bad English.

Yuffie514
03-19-2007, 07:50 AM
fluent Teochew and English. Teochew is the language native to family, friends, and relatives.

Dr. Acula
03-19-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm a native English speaker, but I've done a year of French and a year of Spanish (sometimes I'll get confused between the two, much to my embarrassment) and I tried Dutch once but I found I couldn't get my tongue around it. I want to learn Italian later on, and maybe German.:D

blackmage_nuke
03-19-2007, 09:48 AM
hsimoorb kaeps I
http://www.eyesonff.com/ff1/graphics/ani/broom.gif

Madame Adequate
03-19-2007, 11:13 AM
As has no doubt been observed, I'm rather proficient in the application of the finest language the world has ever seen.

I can also speak Estonian to a reasonably high degree, although I wouldn't say I'm fluent.

DK
03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Tagalog is the suavest language name out of all the ones I have heard. :love:

Roto13
03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
American.

Mirage
03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Norwegian and English. I'm not sure which I'm the best at anymore.

41-Inches-Wide
03-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Tagalog is the suavest language name out of all the ones I have heard. :love:

Alriiiiite!! Dan, you get <3 + XOXO.

I'm from the Philippines too. But I'm a lot more indigenous than most so I have 3 Filipino dialects (uh language still? It's the language I grew up with) I use each for my mom, my dad, and the rest of the city respectively. Tagalog I consider the mother tongue, and English is my 2nd language. I am also fluent in Japanese, since some of my relatives are from there and I have to talk to them and stuff. :(

Bunny
03-19-2007, 12:31 PM
English.

Screw languages.

Levian
03-19-2007, 12:48 PM
English, Swedish, Norwegian. I understand Danish, but I can't really speak it myself. and reverse with German, I can speak it pretty well, but I don't understand much when German people speak because they speak faster than I think.

I'm probably going to spend one year of my life in Spain, so that's my next language up for learning.

Rocket Edge
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
English is my main language. I also know Gaeilge (Irish) & Papiamento, although i'm not fluent in both.

LoveArya
03-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I speak English as my main, then I can speak a little in Spanish and French

Breine
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, I'm Danish so obviously I speak Danish. I speak English fluently and I'm pretty much also fluent in German. Other than that I've taken Spanish for two years and because I'm Scandinavian I also understand both Swedish and Norwegian, but don't exactly speak them.

Orophin
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
My native language is french, english is my 2nd and I'm trying to learn japanese since a couple of days. :p

Dr Unne
03-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I speak fluent English and Engrish. I've studied Spanish, German, Latin and Japanese in that order. I can remember very little of most of them. I took two years of Japanese at college and it was only about 4 years ago and I already forgot most of it.

toire wa doko desu ka

SNOOZER
03-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm fluent in Tagalog and English. Yay!

Twilight Edge
03-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I am Chinese, but English is my main language(family) and Mandarin is for friends. I'm from malaysia so it's compulsory to learn Malay(Negara bodoh.). I speak Cantonese the most and learning the basics of Japanese.

Bunny
03-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I didn't know Tagalog was a language. I thought it was a girl scout cookie. So delicious though.

41-Inches-Wide
03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
WTH

Agent Proto
03-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Bunny, I believe that's Tagalong you're thinking of. Tagalog (not pronounced tag-a-log btw) is the language most filipinos (or flips, lol) can speak. I wish I know how to speak it, but I understand it. I speak English only. :(

Yliette
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Whoa! Most Scandinavians I've come across are fluent in many languages! :eek:

I speak only two. :cry:

I'll study Spanish next. It's relatively easy since around 30% of Tagalog vocabulary is Spanish. :D Also for the sake of learning a new widely spoken language. :love:

Breine
03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Whoa! Most Scandinavians I've come across are fluent in many languages! :eek:.

Scandinavians rock :cool:

... or something :shifty:

Yliette
03-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Are Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark) prolifically English-speaking? Just a curiosity.

Timster
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Are Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark) prolifically English-speaking? Just a curiosity.

you mean if scandinavian languages are similar to english so we can understand english because of that? in that case no, maybe a few words are similar but those are not many (and i guess imported words as well...)
i live in sweden so that is my mother tongue, but i also understand danish and nowegian VERY well, a bit hard to spek though but i think i would manage it(but not fluently)

my dad's from macedonia so i speak that fluently, and since it's a slavic language i understand serbian, bosnian (is that correct bosnian :confused: ), bulgarian, croatian pretty good, can't speak them that good but it's the same as with the scandinavian languages, they're alot like eachother...and i would definitely manage living in those countries language-wise...

i'm also studying german, pretty good at speaking/writing it, but because those germans talk sooooo fast, i can't always get everything they're saying...yikes like race cars...

and then of course english, my mother's australian so i'm fluent in it, studying it now but in an advanced class, or whatever it's called, advanced english i think...

and i'm thinking of studying latin as well next year or the year after that if it can fit my schedual...

wow, you know lining it up like that makes for quite a list... can't help but to feel a little proud :p, and yay to all the other scandinavians i see you're really good at languages too...

Drift
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
cantonese and english

Misfit
03-19-2007, 05:29 PM
English.

Screw languages.
Werd. xP

Peter_20
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Swedish, as it's my first language. :p
English, as it's pretty much a required language to learn.
Spanish, but not exactly fluently.

Zeldy
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
I used to know French and used to be taught in school but I ditched that, and all I can remember from 3 years is just the basics.

I speak fluent English as I AM english, and Im learning Finnish on the side :}
I only know extreme basic finnish, but hey its something!

Rosenti
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I Speak old english, and new age. Danish and spanish. I speak all of these, perfectly and proud of it!!

Breine
03-19-2007, 09:48 PM

you mean if scandinavian languages are similar to english so we can understand english because of that? in that case no, maybe a few words are similar but those are not many (and i guess imported words as well...)
i live in sweden so that is my mother tongue, but i also understand danish and nowegian VERY well, a bit hard to spek though but i think i would manage it(but not fluently)...

Basically, what he said.

Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, German and English are all Germanic languages, and because of that they are all somewhat similar, which makes it easier for someone speaking just one of those to learn one of the other ones. Many words in the English dictionary are very similar to Danish words, and some are even directly taken from the Danish tongue. That probably mostly has something to do with the fact that England once belonged to Denmark, and that Denmark and England used to trade with each other a lot way back when.
Another reason why Scandinavians are generally good at English is the fact that foreign movies/TV shows (and thereby mostly American and English) aren't dubbed, like they are in e.g. Germany, Spain, France, Italy etc. where they - honestly - generally don't speak English as well as we do up north. A lot of my English has come from watching TV and movies.

oddler
03-19-2007, 09:54 PM
It's getting down to just English. I used to know French very well, but with no one to speak it to, I'm slowly losing it. :cat:

Chloe.
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I can speak and write English, beacause I am English. :p And as I'm going to take French as a GCSE, I guess I'm pretty good at that. xD

Hearts
03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Yo hablo espanol, y tu?

Ultima Shadow
03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Swedish and english.

Sergeant Hartman
03-20-2007, 12:14 AM
English, and I can make up some kind of Welsh, which is English but spitting everywhere while speaking.

DLLS
03-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm fluent in English and Spanish :) ! I can also understand a lot of Italian, Portuguese and French since they are similar to Spanish so I've been studying them in my free time :rolleyes2 I'm taking Latin in school and i think I'm pretty good at it but it's to bad its a dead language :mad: i also understand a very small amount of Japanese :D I love :love: foreign language so i 'm trying to learn as many as i can :choc2:

Xander
03-20-2007, 12:31 AM
html, it's the language of love, once I gave my baby a marquee :love:

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Spanish and English. Spanish being my first language. :)

Jojee
03-20-2007, 07:29 AM
English, Chinese, (HTML? xD), some Spanish, and a tiny bit of Portuguese :p

Riana
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
English is my first language.

I can speak Urdu and Hindi fluently. I speak a little German, Japanese and Elvish.

I can also read Arabic and basic phrases of Chinese. I'd like to develop my Japanese a lot more.

Bunny
03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
WTH

I can't help it they are so delicious!

Bunny, I believe that's Tagalong you're thinking of. Tagalog (not pronounced tag-a-log btw) is the language most filipinos (or flips, lol) can speak. I wish I know how to speak it, but I understand it. I speak English only. :(

Yeah, I know. But those cookies are so damned delicious!

Quindiana Jones
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I speak English at OMG-YOU-R-A-PROPER-LEG-END! level, and French and German at GCSE level.

The Real Dark Messenger
03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
My main language is Danish, and then I speak English fluently.
I used to speak German and French too, but I kinda forget how. I can still have a conversation in those two languages, but I wont say it sounds good.

Spammerman
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
English and Spanish

fantasyjunkie
03-21-2007, 12:47 AM
English and Tagalog. I never could get the hang of leet speak though. To this day U SUXXOR ROXXOR gives me fits.

Kossage
03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
My mother tongue is Finnish, and I can also speak Swedish and English. :)

DeStyle
03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I can speak English, Dutch, French, German, Latin,
and maybe if I try really hard a lil' old Greek.

On that part where I live sucks badly, here in Holland
we have to learn English, French and German on school.
Plus either Greek or Latin in the higher classes.

Zeromus_X
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I just speak fluent English. I've been studying Japanese for awhile, although, I am not very good at speaking it as I am in reading and writing.

Iceglow
03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Natively I speak English I learnt french and japanese in school/college. I speak those to a moderate degree of understanding.

As for the others I read quite fluent french, Dutch I can read but cannot write in or speak it. I also can understand some greek, but that skill was taught by friends and an ex of mine and well as Agrias and Yanis well know my skill is crap with it.

Araciel
03-22-2007, 01:20 AM
english.

ValkyrieWing
03-22-2007, 02:31 AM
I speak a little bit of Japanese and French. :3

mooglebunni608
03-22-2007, 02:31 AM
I speak English.

And I'm learning German and Japanese. The japanese is going faster than the german believe it or not =D

Yliette
03-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Speaking of Scandinavian languages, I've noticed that Swedish is the most popular.

I mean I've seen many Do-It-Yourself language books but only Swedish is available. I've never seen a Teach-Yourself-[insert Scandinavian language] book except for Swedish.

MikeL Valentine
03-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Feed my curiosity please. :D

I speak Greek and English :D

Miu123
03-22-2007, 10:50 PM
English and spanish and learning German next. Probably going to learn latin to after that..

LunaNaelyan
03-22-2007, 11:14 PM
My native language is English, but I can also speak fluent Finnish, though I still have an American accent and let's just say it sounds weird at the least. I also understand Swedish and Russian to an extent, but when it comes to speaking them.... I'm afraid of offending any native speakers around me so I'd rather not :D

ReloadPsi
03-23-2007, 12:41 AM
British English, French, American English, German, Engrish.

KasaiDraco
03-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Dra uhmo udran myhkiyka E ghuf pacesac English ec Al Bhed.

Aerisfanatic
03-24-2007, 02:34 PM
i speak english mostley but my second languange is portuguese and i know a little spanish thats about it

Shadow8017
03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
English and Al Bhed because I am retarded in the sense that I would rather learn a simple, made-up encrypted language rather than a completely new language that actually has uses outside of being lame.

wow, I never thought someone would actually take the time to learn al bhed.

ThundagAuron
03-25-2007, 12:44 AM
English, French, German and...that's it.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-25-2007, 01:03 AM
My main language and most spoken is English, however I have Spanish in school, and I'm self teaching finnish. Because Finland is awesome.

Spiffing Cheese
03-25-2007, 02:24 AM
My first language is English and I'm learning French (I'm taking it next year too and I hope to eventually be fluent). I would say I'm learning Welsh but to say that I learn in that class would be a huge overstatement. :p

Iay alsoay amay luentfay inay igpay atinlay! xD

Momiji
03-25-2007, 07:17 PM
I speak fluent English. I also understand (but do not fluently speak) Spanish, to some extent.

SapphireBlue*
03-25-2007, 07:56 PM
My first language is spanish and I learned english at school since first grade...That's all I know hehe :p