PDA

View Full Version : Grindhouse

fire_of_avalon
03-20-2007, 02:24 AM
I can not wait for this movie to open. Primarily, I'm curious to see how well Eli Roth does with a Tarantino script (at least I'm fairly sure Roth is directing "Death Proof" and Rodrigez "Planet Terror", but I could be confused) as they tend to have varying levels of artistic and gratuitously violent content. I'm also wondering how the double feature will compare to other exploitation films. I'm a big fan of Romero, so it'll be interesting to see how the sickos in "Planet Terror" work out.

It's also interesting to see Rose McGowan in the role of Cherry. She hasn't done much of anything that I've been particularly interested in lately, so I'm excited to see what she might have to bring to the table.

And Bruce Willis is making an uncredited cameo in "Planet Terror" so of course that excites me in ways I shouldn't talk about. :radred:

Use this thread to talk about Grindhouse, grindhouses you know that might still exist, exploitation films, or to admonish those of us interested in these types of things for our lewdness and debauchery.

Also, what's your favorite exploitation film? I'm partial to Night of the Living Dead, even though it's really depressing, as well as The Last House on the Left, but that's because I'm a vengeful person.

Finally, do you feel that all films of this genre lack any artistic merit whatsoever? I won't argue that the body of Eli Roth's work (notable films include Hostel and Cabin Fever xDDDD) is pretty much cannon fodder for those finding the genre contemptible, but can you really compare those films with great pieces Shaft or The Wild One?

And I just wanted to make a thread. :D

Shoeberto
03-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Psh, Night of the Living Dead wasn't exploitation. I don't think Last House on the Left was either, though I'm not 100%. NotLD was just horror!

I'm pretty sure Tarantino is directing Death Proof. They're really pushing the flick as being Tarantino and Rodriguez.

Actually I just looked it up:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0462322/fullcredits#directors
Rodriguez and Tarantino for the main segments, Roth and others just doing fake trailers.

I'm really pumped about this/these flick(s).

El Bandito
03-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Yeah Grindhouse looks good, but I'm hoping Tarantino goes back to his roots and makes a good gritty realistic film again. Don't get me wrong, Kill Bill was good, but I just don't think it stands up well against the likes of Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown.

I'm hoping his next film after Grindhouse, Inglorious Bastards will lean more on the realistic side than sensationalist.

As for Robert Rogriguez, I saw the trailer and when the woman straps on that rifle to her leg, I couldn't help but chuckle. He'll never change. :P

XxSephirothxX
03-20-2007, 06:10 AM
I really want to like Grindhouse, because I really dig Tarantino and Rodriguez's work with Sin City. But I think it just looks...stupid, bad, and kind of disgusting. Bruce Willis is another major plus, but the lady with the gun leg counteracts the awesome of the directors and Bruce Willis and is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen. Maybe the reviews will turn out positive, but I think it's looking pretty awful.

Nominus Experse
03-20-2007, 06:13 AM
This movie looks fucking stupid. I'll watch it all the same, seeing as it's a Tarntino film.

I really am hoping that it does not suck ass - like the previews portray it as. But the hope seems glum.

edczxcvbnm
03-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I really want to like Grindhouse, because I really dig Tarantino and Rodriguez's work with Sin City. But I think it just looks...stupid, bad, and kind of disgusting. Bruce Willis is another major plus, but the lady with the gun leg counteracts the awesome of the directors and Bruce Willis and is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen. Maybe the reviews will turn out positive, but I think it's looking pretty awful.

I'm thinking the same thing...although if reviews are positive then it will still not change that I think this movie looks incredibly stupid. I will just wait for Sin City 2.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
FOA: ok so inbetween these two movies (which are apparently 70 mins each) theres going to be like an intermission of trailers for movies that done exist (they're called fake trailers) Eli Roth, impretty sure, is directing one of these 'fake trailers' Rob Zombie is also doing one!

im excited to see this one lol!

farplaner
03-20-2007, 10:38 AM
You know, I really wasn't impressed with either of the Kill Bill movies, and the trailers for Grindhouse look equally unimpressive.

Agreed: the whole "leg rifle" thing tends toward the ridiculous.

All this said, I'm sure I'll rent it at the video store simply because of who's involved.

Bunny
03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Eli Roth decided to direct a movie about a killer that goes on his spree during Thanksgiving. Tentatively entitled Thanksgiving. I probably won't see it though becaus I am not a big fan of movie theaters or Quentin Tarantino. His movies kind of bore me. Rodriguez, however, is a very good filmmaker. So conflicted.

I'll probably wait for the DVD or go see it while I'm visiting my girlfriend. Who knows.

Dreddz
03-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Looks spiffy, I organised to go see this way back in January even.

fire_of_avalon
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
FOA: ok so inbetween these two movies (which are apparently 70 mins each) theres going to be like an intermission of trailers for movies that done exist (they're called fake trailers) Eli Roth, impretty sure, is directing one of these 'fake trailers' Rob Zombie is also doing one!

im excited to see this one lol!

I see. And I thought Rob Zombie might be involved at some point, since Sherri Moon is on the bill. Thanks clearing that up for me, y'all.

And the whole POINT of these movies is to be ridiculous and over the top. Exploitation films are meant to be dedicated first and foremost to sex, violence and gore, and other icky "non-artistic" things. However, I feel, that the best exploitation films (again, Night of the Living Dead and Last House on the Left as examples, because they are graphic) have subtle thematic qualities that focus on pertinent social issues of their time. Night of the Living Dead heavily focuses on the lack of responsibility of the military and the United States government, while The Last House on the Left is a commentary on youth culture during the war in Vietnam. What I find the most interesting about the latter is that it also works as a metaphor for what the youth during that era experienced by way of forced loss of innocence, and the duty of the parents to rectify this situation.

Breine
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
As a huge fan of both Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriquez this is probably the film I'm looking forward to the most this year. Ih, I want to see this movie so bad!

The Real Dark Messenger
03-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I love QT and I am so looking forward to this movie. But I am really upset that they are talking about splitting it to two movies when it hits the cinema here in DK!

DK
03-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Man, the gun-leg chick is like half the reason I even want to watch this movie. She is going to be AWESOME. I probably like her so much because she reminds me of the Scotsman from Samurai Jack, and he was a badass, but yeah.

fire_of_avalon
03-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Why does she remind you of the Scotsman? :confused:

MecaKane
03-21-2007, 03:47 AM
the lady with the gun leg counteracts the awesome of the directors and Bruce Willis and is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.

Hello POINT.

SammieBabe
03-22-2007, 12:06 AM
I want to see it, not for story value, but just sheer entertainment. When I want to think, I read. I like seeing things blow up every once in a while. I've dug alot of what both directors have done, but seeing as how I never go to the movies anymore, It'll probably be on PPV before I see it...

DK
03-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Why does she remind you of the Scotsman? :confused:

Because he had a machine gun for a leg. :monster:

Miriel
03-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Rose McGowan is one of the worst working actresses that I can think of. :o

Nominus Experse
03-22-2007, 08:28 AM
The more I look into this movie, the more I twist my scrotom in horror at how much it's going to suck.

Bunny
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Rose McGowan is one of the worst working actresses that I can think of. :o

Miriel makes my heart go thump thump thump.

fire_of_avalon
03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
The more I look into this movie, the more I twist my scrotom in horror at how much it's going to suck.

Testicular torsion is nothing to joke about, jerkpants.

Y'all have no sense of tacky, reprehensible adventure. I'm taking my ball and going home.

Nominus Experse
03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Jerkpants?

fire_of_avalon
03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes. :love:

Nominus Experse
03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
You know, that actually has a little bit of cleverness, now that I think about it - considering the preceding statement.

I can now Lawl.

/end in thread-conversation

Shiny
03-24-2007, 06:36 PM
She has a friggin' gun attached to her leg. These movies look lame and I have a feeling that the only reason people are going to go see it is, because of the directors. I could be wrong about lame thing though, or so I hope.

Ashley Schovitz
03-25-2007, 02:52 AM
y'al are so late I've been talking about this for a while. A white woman with a gun leg looks like the inverse of Barret.

eestlinc
03-26-2007, 08:29 AM
that's my gun leg! xD

I thought Kill Bill was awesome, and Sin City was really good. I might see Grindhouse, although probably not in the theaters.

Bunny
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
She has a friggin' gun attached to her leg. These movies look lame and I have a feeling that the only reason people are going to go see it is, because of the directors. I could be wrong about lame thing though, or so I hope.

Or the people who know why the movie is so over the top and lame.

edczxcvbnm
04-09-2007, 03:06 AM
So I ended up seeing Grindhouse. I thought the movie was hilarious until Death Proof. Death Proof was a different type of movie and that is fine but the dialog killed the movie. The protagonists in the movie were just annoying as hell.

I hear the first trailer 'Machete' is going to be made into a straight to video release. The pleases me greatly as I thought it was the best of the 4 fake movies.

Araciel
04-09-2007, 03:27 AM
though i never judge a movie by the previews...it's hard to keep to that after seeing the previews for this one (or two...whatever)

anyway i don't know if i'll see it, and if i do, it'll have to be free and i'll expect fellatio while i watch it.

Erdrick Holmes
04-09-2007, 03:31 AM
I might go see this, but it looks rather cheesy. Like one of those campy B movies that overdo it on action stuff. Like this will be the movie equiviliant of a rocket launcher that shoots exploding sharks with chainsaws for teeth and flamethrowers for eyes.

SnoopyG
04-09-2007, 03:48 AM
just saw it several hours ago, awesome movie

Necronopticous
04-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Easily the best film(s) of the year thus far.

Dreddz
04-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Apparantly the two movies will be split up in other parts of the world and released seperately. How terrible.

Coming out on June 1st in the UK, absolute bullcrap, why the hell are we waiting so long for this movie. And if its split up in the UK I swear to god....

Slothy
04-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I might go see this, but it looks rather cheesy. Like one of those campy B movies that overdo it on action stuff. Like this will be the movie equiviliant of a rocket launcher that shoots exploding sharks with chainsaws for teeth and flamethrowers for eyes.

That's kind of the point of the movie. If you go in expecting and wanting to see something of a tribute to those old exploitation movies (as was said earlier) you won't be dissapointed.

I loved Grindhouse myself. Assault rifles are officially the most useful prosthetic limbs ever, and even though Death Proof managed to be kind of boring through a good chunk of it, the two car chases made up for it as far as I'm concerned. The ending was most unexpected.

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Im deciding to boycott the film as its official that the two movies will be split up in Europe. Piracy is what they get for pissing me off.

Araciel
04-17-2007, 05:39 AM
though i never judge a movie by the previews...it's hard to keep to that after seeing the previews for this one (or two...whatever)

anyway i don't know if i'll see it, and if i do, it'll have to be free and i'll expect fellatio while i watch it.

i'm eating my words...i had no idea what the point of the film (films) was and then after seeing it i can honestly say it's one of the best cinema experiences of my life...scratch that, it was the best.

Ashley Schovitz
05-28-2007, 09:49 PM
i went to go see it today i loved planet Terror, but really Deathprooof bored me to death with all that random conversation. I left out because I had to go somewhere, but I walked out on the part where the new set of girls go to some guy's house to buy a car, was there really anything there to keep watching the movie afterwards? Youy can tell me what happens since I don't plan on seeing it again.

Dreddz
05-28-2007, 09:53 PM
i went to go see it today i loved planet Terror, but really Deathprooof bored me to death with all that random conversation. I left out because I had to go somewhere, but I walked out on the part where the new set of girls go to some guy's house to buy a car, was there really anything there to keep watching the movie afterwards? Youy can tell me what happens since I don't plan on seeing it again.

Yeah, you pretty much missed the best part of the entire movie. Its a car chase if your wondering, but not some by the books yawn fest. Its the most insane car chase in the history of cinema and probably the most insane spectacle Ive ever seen. I refuse to spoil it, its just that good. I think theres a video on youtube of it, go watch that.

EDIT
YouTube - Grindhouse - Death Proof ENDING 1/2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ABihftfcwG0)
YouTube - Grindhouse - Death Proof ENDING 2/2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HsAE6tIp6cE)

Rocket Edge
05-28-2007, 11:09 PM
This film looks to be really good, I may go see it.