PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball Z MMO

JKTrix
03-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I would have thought this happened already (http://www.japanator.com/dragon-ball-online-coming-in-2008), but perhaps that's my fond memories of my brief stint with Bid for Power (http://bidforpower.planetquake.gamespy.com/) some years back.

BFP is the first thing I thought of when I saw this, but this is an entirely different (and entirely avec Toryiama legit) project. You can create your character as a child from either the Saiyan, Namek or Human races, and the child will grow up as the game progresses.

Seems interesting, but I'll probably never play it. Chances of it coming to the US are slim, but not impossible. DBZ is still pretty popular in the west, but it's nowhere near popular enough to make a dent in WoW in the MMO space--or even FFXI for that matter. I won't be spending money to import it either, despite my efforts to be learning Japanese.

Slothy
03-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Hmm, hopefully this does come here, because it's probably the first MMO aside from FFXI that I've ever taken an interest in. Not that I ever actually bought FFXI. I did consider it though.

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
How do you make an MMO out of Dragon Ball?

JKTrix
03-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Stick it 200 years into DB's future and introduce new enemies!

200 years is about enough for the Z-warriors genes to start spreading out to a larger group of people. Hence everyone starts as kids.

On 2nd thought, this would be pretty cool if it came out, especially if there's no monthly fee (which I doubt). I want the Crono hair (http://www.japanator.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/up180130.jpg).

Jowy
03-20-2007, 02:49 PM
There's going to be far too many people screaming how their power levels are OVER NINE-THOUSAND! for my liking. xD

JKTrix
03-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I think after about 2 weeks of the game being out, any newb who shouts that will be subject to instant PKing.

It would be awesome if the 9001st user to sign up got something special... like a Dunce cap or something.

CimminyCricket
03-20-2007, 03:59 PM
This seems interesting enough to draw me in.

No.78
03-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I would have thought this happened already (http://www.japanator.com/dragon-ball-online-coming-in-2008), but perhaps that's my fond memories of my brief stint with Bid for Power (http://bidforpower.planetquake.gamespy.com/) some years back.

BFP is the first thing I thought of when I saw this, but this is an entirely different (and entirely avec Toryiama legit) project. .

I only needed to read this much to get excited.

EDIT: HOLY :skull::skull::skull::skull:!!! NOW I'M EXCITED!!! Toriyama legit you say? So it's entirely based on the manga? No anime filler/movie/GT crap??? I freakin hope so!!!! *excitement* I dunno how this MMO is gonna fit into the story but I'm feckin excited anyway!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: =D=D=D

ANOTHER EDIT: If this is Jap only I am gonna import it and learn japanese!!! SRSLY O_O

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Hopefully it isn't all flying around and fighting things that you go "Power level over 2 million" yet you still manage to beat them. I want some job classes in this.

JKTrix
03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
By 'Toriyama Legit' I mean He's going to provide the visual designs (where as Bid for Power was a fan-made mod). 'Avec' means 'With' in French. This is set 200 years after the manga. So it's not based off the manga, but I think you can expect new enemies that come up to have some sort of reference to old ones.

Still, if you read more :P you'd notice that it's not coming out in English. It's only just been announced for Asia.

DK
03-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Hahaha, I remember the BFP forums. They were a bunch of failures. :D

Anyway, this looks kind of suave. I'd want to be a descendant of Vegeta, though. The other characters sux.

Captain Maxx Power
03-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Seeing as how Saiyan's are like the most powerful race in the game, why play anything else? Plus you'll only be able to get some very necessary SSJ action with a Saiyan.

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I wanna be a fucking Cell character. Cell>All DB characters.

No.78
03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
This is cool, the storyline they've chosen fits into the manga and the anime, so it fits both parties. The only problems that could occur now is super saiyan 4 being present, if it is I'll slit my wrists or something.

Ooooooh, I wonder how the hell fusion would work... :bigsmile:

Seeing as how Saiyan's are like the most powerful race in the game, why play anything else? Plus you'll only be able to get some very necessary SSJ action with a Saiyan.

My guess is that saiyans have intergrated with the human race by now, meaning a human would have to earn the super saiyan ranks, or some entirely new 'forms' that would be of equal power to perhaps some namekian forms. *shrug* They wouldn't make the races unbalanced.

JKTrix
03-20-2007, 05:38 PM

*lets the DBZ nerd out*

Well, depending how closely they stick to the established plot elements, the Super Saiyan ability might be a very limited, endgame kinda thing. 200 years later, the Saiyan blood would be so diluted that it would make the Super Saiyan ability either more rare, or significantly less powerful. The first 1/2 saiyans were able to transform pretty easily, but aside from Gohan the others never got that much more powerful on their own.

I'd imagine the game would have some balancing elements to make the other races more attractive with similarly cool abilities, so as not to make Saiyans as broken as they are in most DBZ games.

No.78
03-20-2007, 05:40 PM

*lets the DBZ nerd out*

Well, depending how closely they stick to the established plot elements, the Super Saiyan ability might be a very limited, endgame kinda thing. 200 years later, the Saiyan blood would be so diluted that it would make the Super Saiyan ability either more rare, or significantly less powerful. The first 1/2 saiyans were able to transform pretty easily, but aside from Gohan the others never got that much more powerful on their own.

I'd imagine the game would have some balancing elements to make the other races more attractive with similarly cool abilities, so as not to make Saiyans as broken as they are in most DBZ games.

Haha, we both posted the same kind of thing :P

DBZ NERDS UNITE >.>

I'm not a nerd <.<

Violet_Snowflake
03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Wow, that should be cool. :D

Too bad it's JP ONRY. >,<

No.78
03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
OMAIGAZ, YOU LAIK TOTALLY MADE A POST.

You're not allowed to do that, go back to your hole.

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, here's the thing. Let's put the three races compaired to other MMOs.

Humans- Like in most MMOs they're balanced, while having no real weakness they have no strength

Saiyans- Since they're the brutish race of the series they're more of a physical fighter, they'd have good physical attack and defense they compensate with low ki (the DBZ world's version of Magic)

Nameks- Since they're a wise race with long lifespans they would have low physical stats but make up for it with very powerful ki attacks and skills.

Also, there are more sentient lifeforms in the Dragon Ball world than just humans, saiyans, and Nameks. The planet 'earth' that world has is inhabited by humaniod animal-like people (dogs, cats, bears, etc), and what about the other races shown off in the series, like the Icejins (I think that's the name of Frieza's race), or maybe even a race of Androids (like Android 18 *fanboy crush*), also, what about the demon-lime monsters from King Dabura's world, or maybe a hybrid species like Cell *crosses fingers*? Not only would their be all of these races but alliances would be in this too. You could be like a Z-Fighter and protect the galaxy from random badguys, you could be part of the evil Empire that was once led by Frieza's family, you could even be part of the Majin mage clan. That also leaves out another thing, character classes. You can be a fighter that fights along the lines of Master Roshi, or fight the brutelike style the space-alien badguys fought (Ginyu Force, etc) or probably use nothing but magic/ki (the nameks, the Majins, yadda yadda).

*puts away DBZ nerd hat*

No.78
03-20-2007, 06:09 PM
No no, the saiyans are extinct now. The saiyans have intergrated with the humans. Am I right?

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, storyline wise, yes. But that's what they said when Brolly came around. Who knows if more sayians survived (probably weren't on planet Vegeta upon it's destruction) and repopulated on another planet.

Roto13
03-20-2007, 06:55 PM
200 years to have enough descendants to populate an MMORPG... man, Saiyans are horny bastards.

Spammerman
03-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Roto wins.

If Im a Saiyan I want an f'in tail and be able to turn into a goddamn monkey.

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
200 years to have enough descendants to populate an MMORPG... man, Saiyans are horny bastards.

Well dayum, who WOULDN'T be a horny bastard? Most of the Dragon Ball women were fine-assed-foxes before they became aged. Before the Cell saga Bulma was a fricken fox.

Markus. D
03-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I dislike the look of it. it being an MMO. it is something I have to take into account.

No.78
03-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Broly doesn't count, he's a movie character >: | But you're right, if the saiyans job was to kill other planets and sell them, I guess there's bound to be at least like, 20 other saiyans who survived... (Unless they were picked off by Freeza or something)

My friend doesn't like Dragonball, but he said a Dragonball MMO would "probably be quite fun actually"

Erdrick Holmes
03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Actually, the following idea might end up being good or end up ruining the game for others. Destructable environments, go fight somebody and end up blowing up a mountain during battle? The mountain would stay gone.

CimminyCricket
03-21-2007, 09:12 PM
That planet better be as BIG AS ALL HELL, or the game better have multiple planets of which you can traverse.

Tasura
03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
This could prove interesting, if it came out in English, and I didn't have to pay for it.

No.78
03-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Dragonballs fix everything!

JKTrix
03-22-2007, 01:49 PM
MOAR (http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14301)

Don't understand why DBZ characters are showing up, if it's supposed to be 200 years later. I mean, I can understand Piccolo, and maybe Goku (though that's a bit of a stretch--at the end of GT, when Pan was like 120 years old, Goku appeared just as he does throughout his adulthood--but GT is not mangabased), but Trunks?

Ah well. Continuity isn't important. Fanservice rocks.

Then again, the Player Character's name is 'HFIMM', perhaps that's an allusion to 'HFIL'. So maybe they're all in 'HFIL'. Then it would make sense...sort of.

Erdrick Holmes
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I doubt that's Goku in the screenshot. I'm sure you can probably MAKE players that look like already existing characters.

Frozen Phantom
03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Though the idea seems like a good idea, To me it just looks like there isn't any real variation in character models, Welcome to the world of cookie cutters :(

JKTrix
03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
This is still pre-beta, so you'd expect to not see a whole lot of content. You'll likely be able to buy more costumes and armour and whatnot, like any other MMO. 'Course, people will likely want to look like their favourite characters, so you can't help that.
http://www.japanator.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/up180131.jpg
http://www.japanator.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/up180130.jpg

Those are links to images on the page I linked to in my first post. Different pictures, also shows an idea of different visual options.

Tasura
03-22-2007, 11:44 PM
and with the help of “Time Patrol Trunks,”

That might explain why Trunks is in the game.

No.78
03-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Confuzzling. I dunno why Cultivars are there... They should be extinct.

Roto13
03-30-2007, 04:52 PM
MOAR (http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14301)

Don't understand why DBZ characters are showing up, if it's supposed to be 200 years later. I mean, I can understand Piccolo, and maybe Goku (though that's a bit of a stretch--at the end of GT, when Pan was like 120 years old, Goku appeared just as he does throughout his adulthood--but GT is not mangabased), but Trunks?

Goku was dead. :P That was a ghost or something.

JKTrix
03-30-2007, 05:09 PM
According to GT, Goku pretty much becomes immortal through joining with Shenron. (End of GT: Goku flies away with the real Shenron and absorbs the 7 Dragonballs into himself).

But yeah, GT is a lot of bollux.

I could understand Piccolo appearing since I guess Nameks can live a long time. Trunks I forgot is a timetraveller, so that 'makes sense'. Goku is the one who doesn't fit if it's based on the Manga, but if they included GT-Immortal Goku I guess it's feasible. Dragon Ball wasn't very good at flawless plotlines anyway :p

black orb
03-30-2007, 05:46 PM
>>> They should have made a Dr Slump online game..:eep:

Erdrick Holmes
03-31-2007, 02:16 AM
>>> They should have made a Dr Slump online game..:eep:

YOU, GET IN THE CAGE!

No.78
03-31-2007, 11:33 AM
If this has GT related plotstuffs I'll be a sad bunny.

Piccolo can still be alive. Goku can be a ghost but he shouldnt be able to come into the loving world anymore... And Trunks, well I dunno how or why he'd wanna come into this timezone anymore. Hohumm...

Dragonball and Z are good at flawless plotlines, GT isn't. GT is the failure!!!