PDA

View Full Version : Not giving to charity

Strider
03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
So Fresno is having Kids Day today as a fundraiser for Valley Children's Hospital here in the Central Valley, which basically means you can buy the local newspaper, the Fresno Bee, from any one of a bajillion people on the streets and part (if not all, I don't know) of that dollar will go straight to the hospital, which is pretty important and a good cause.

I had to get up early to take my sister to school and my God. There were people EVERYWHERE doing anything they could to get me to buy a newspaper. The only problem is that I don't make much money to begin with which I need to cover important things. One lady gave me a dirty look when I wouldn't buy a paper, which made me wonder...

Chances are, for the most part, y'all don't have a lot of money to spend on charity, or at least as much as you might like sometimes. Does anyone else get crap from people when they elect not to help?

41-Inches-Wide
03-20-2007, 04:33 PM
How much is the newspaper?

No.78
03-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I personally hate charity, they use guilt to force you into it. Sure it's for a good cause and all, but in the end, I can do what I want with my money.

If that woman gave me a dirty look, I'd've sent one straight back.

Devourment
03-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Only the occasional dirty look, because I ignore people who ask me to donate. If I knew the money would actually go to where it was meant to go & it was a charity that I feel I would like to give to, then I would give. Also providing I had a decent amount of income. For example I'd give to a Dogs' Home if I had the money, or donate to AIDS or a cancer charity. But who knows where the money goes... Well, here it gets wasted on the Goverment.

Peegee
03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
In modern usage, the practice of charity means the giving of help to those in need.

In theory you need the money. Other people need it. So charity means poor people giving money to poor people? It probably means 'giving to people who need more than you'.

I remember living dollar to dollar. It was not fun. At that time, I still gave a significant amount of money to charity. Usually because I was too lazy to put a hold on the payments, so I just made do without the money every month (it amounted to less than 50$ so that's not too too much).

At the same time if you don't want to give to charity nobody can make you. Another meaning of the term is that charity is something YOU decide to give. You can't impose a person to commit acts of charity -- it then becomes cohersion (or another buzzword that I am using to make the person who frowned at you seem more deviant than she really is).

Regardless I don't randomly give money to people or buy things to be charitable. Ever. My charity is self contained and tax deductable. Hence it's not really charity either :o

Madame Adequate
03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Yeah, one of the main things which drives me away from charity is a garrilous canvasser.

Bunny
03-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I donated $150 to some poor, starving kids in Africa. I think. I don't really know. I just wrote a check to my little brother who was doing the whole charity collection thing for his church. Then I told him to leave me alone for awhile.

So I bought his silence.

Quindiana Jones
03-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Whenever people attack me, saying "OMFG Y RNT U GVN $ 2 TEH KIDZZZZ???????" I just tell them I don't care and I hope every little poor, starving child just dies.

It's a lie, because I'm actually a very caring person. I would give money if I had money to spare. And also the reaction when I say that is hilarious. It's usually people I don't like anyway so I don't give a flying auntie what they think.

PyroManiak
03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
If there is an oppurtinity for me to give negative charity, I'd give it...oh wait...I can go steal stuff :)

Zeldy
03-20-2007, 07:30 PM
When I wen't to Manchester a few weeks ago there was people with clipboards round every corner. On the main street they was everywhere. I don't think its fair the way they harass you and use loads of pursuasive devices to get you to give money. One man approached me and my Friend saying "Stop. You've been caught on camera looking too hot!". Flattery, much. He only wanted our money, which after him saying that I felt I HAD to, which really isnt fair as Im a teenager, and money is always tight. We was approached 2-3 times just like that, I gave so much money meaning I couldn't buy anything for myself which was sorta' the whole reason for going Manchester D:

Jowy
03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
While I'm not the most financially blessed, there's always people out there worse off than I am. Even if it's just throwing change in the Salvation Army tin, I'd like to think someone's appreciating the offer. I like giving the cute little kids money for pee-wee football too, since I just kind of get overwhelmed when twenty of them rush me suited up with coffee cans outside of the mall. 8-)

The Unknown Guru
03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Nope. I give money to street performers, not charities.

Yamaneko
03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah and then she promptly got into her SUV and drove away to pick up her kids from soccer practice. Fuck those people.

Iceglow
03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I get people comming up to me all the time with the whole "give me your bank details so I can withdraw on behalf of Oxfam or whatever charity I currently work for" I dislike those people. I generally (other than small loose change if I have a rush on or can't be bothered to save it up.) don't give my money to charity. I give time or personal pride to charity to raise money for them. Last year in aid of comic relief I did a sponsored silence that most of my colleagues believed I would fail. I countered them saying "you'd never do it" by saying "the floor is £60.00 if you can't make that much money then you don't shut me the heck up for the day" I talk a considerable amount and on checkouts will speak to pretty much every single customer that comes through (this actually annoys other operators even though it's actually a part of proceedures that we're meant to follow.) So my being silent for the entire day was a huge thing for people and I easily raised the target and then some. I suceeded to shut my mouth for the day sure it was as much to prove beyond all doubt I could do so as it was for charity but it was done none the less. I wanted in college to go for a trip to Africa or somewhere where you go and dig the wells and everything but these trips are not free and I could never have afforded it.

Nominus Experse
03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't care, frankly. People live, people die. Hard times, good times.

I go through much the same, though perhaps not to the extremes that others might.

I need the money to survive - I am not about to set myself into a lower standard of living simply because someone else is there.

Really, I hate money - it only seems to have created guilt, anger, etc... in those around me.

abrojtm
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
You should only give to charity if you support the idea that it is supporting. You should only give what you can. Save that $2.50 to buy a Big Mac and donate instead. On the other hand, if that $2.50 needs to go to your mortgage, then don't donate.

rubah
03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I tithe.

PyroManiak
03-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't care, frankly. People live, people die. Hard times, good times.

I go through much the same, though perhaps not to the extremes that others might.

I need the money to survive - I am not about to set myself into a lower standard of living simply because someone else is there.

Really, I hate money - it only seems to have created guilt, anger, etc... in those around me.

If we didn't have money we'd still have the same problems because of people and their ego's, pride, women, and territory...

Martyr
03-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I give to reputable charities. Usually Christian charities (Real Christian charities, not Christian Churches that squander charity money).

I give a reasonable amount annually.
I do not give money to beggars on the street, although I will give food to rough looking dudes who ask for it while I'm eating, which happens every so often.

If anybody gives me trouble about not giving them money, well, it hasn't actually been trouble for me yet, so I ain't concerned. A dirty look is just that. I get them from stupid drivers too.

If a hobo decides to fist-fight, then it's a poorly planned mugging, and I guess we'll see how things go from there. But until such events as that take place, I remain confident that I do my part, and entirely unfazed by the griping of people who should know better than to be poor and competent at the same plan.

Especially in my city.

There's so many ways to get near free clothing and food that anybody who stays stuck in poverty for too long really may actually be preferring it to lower middle class.

PyroManiak
03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I give to reputable charities. Usually Christian charities (Real Christian charities, not Christian Churches that squander charity money).

I give a reasonable amount annually.
I do not give money to beggars on the street, although I will give food to rough looking dudes who ask for it while I'm eating, which happens every so often.

If anybody gives me trouble about not giving them money, well, it hasn't actually been trouble for me yet, so I ain't concerned. A dirty look is just that. I get them from stupid drivers too.

If a hobo decides to fist-fight, then it's a poorly planned mugging, and I guess we'll see how things go from there. But until such events as that take place, I remain confident that I do my part, and entirely unfazed by the griping of people who should know better than to be poor and competent at the same plan.

Especially in my city.

There's so many ways to get near free clothing and food that anybody who stays stuck in poverty for too long really may actually be preferring it to lower middle class.

If I were to become a hobo they better raise the price for matches...

fire_of_avalon
03-21-2007, 12:40 AM
While I'm not the most financially blessed, there's always people out there worse off than I am. Even if it's just throwing change in the Salvation Army tin, I'd like to think someone's appreciating the offer. I like giving the cute little kids money for pee-wee football too, since I just kind of get overwhelmed when twenty of them rush me suited up with coffee cans outside of the mall. 8-)
That's me, except I never get attacked with coffee cans.

I tithe.
My friend Mary tithes (grammar?) too. But she can afford it at this point, since she has a great job, lives at home and eats for free. Me, not so much. I also don't go to church.

I always check up on the people I'm giving money to. If you approach me in the street, unless you can give me explicit details about the charity you're working for and why, I won't give anything to you.

I've also done a lot of work for charities, but not so much during college.

oddler
03-21-2007, 12:45 AM
My friend Mary tithes (grammar?) too.

Put a comma after tithes and move the part in parentheses to the end of the sentence. :)

I give spare change to whatever "asks" for it.

Araciel
03-21-2007, 01:05 AM
i personally like eating forty dollar steaks and driving a big car that burns a lot of gas and wearing nice expensive stylish clothes...i can't addord to give to charities.

Roto13
03-21-2007, 01:18 AM
I sometimes lend to charity. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fly to Ethiopia to break the legs of some farmer who wouldn't give me back my dollar a day.

rubah
03-21-2007, 11:01 PM
That's me, except I never get attacked with coffee cans.

I tithe.
My friend Mary tithes (grammar?) too. But she can afford it at this point, since she has a great job, lives at home and eats for free. Me, not so much. I also don't go to church.

I always check up on the people I'm giving money to. If you approach me in the street, unless you can give me explicit details about the charity you're working for and why, I won't give anything to you.

I've also done a lot of work for charities, but not so much during college.

When I had a job, it was a lot harder to give up 10% than now or before when it was just my allowance ;o $14>$1 but I did it anyways!

My dad asked me why I bothered, wouldn't I rather have the money, but I think if I go through the obedience of giving it up, I'll get it back, so, I don't mind so much!

but I can definitely understand why you wouldn't

Mirage
03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't, but I probably will when I get a job.

blim
03-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I refuse to give to what i call rent-a-hippies, that is the ones who are being paid to collect for charity. I have collected for charities in the past but gave up my free time to do so. I believe you should not be paid to do such things as that is money the charity could use.

The other day one stopped me, so i gave my stock "sorry i'm busy" reply, he stepped in front of me blocking my path. (and got a barrage of abuse in return).

Finally, i belive most chariteies only deal with the symptoms of a problem rather than its root cause. The help they provide is short term or counter-productive.

I do give to Greenpeace and charities such as Cancer research and the British Heart Foundation.