PDA

View Full Version : Any one know how to use DOS programs?

Fire_Emblem776
03-21-2007, 02:36 AM
Im trying to convert CPK ( Sega Saturn FMVs) to avi, and the program does open up, and I see instuctions for a sec, the it closes. Any one got some simple help to offer please?

Yes.....its a Sailor Moon game.... I got a CPK viewer so I know the FMVs are their. But i have yet find a windows converter -_-

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/fireemblem776/saturn-cd.jpg

And the FMVs! All rare henshins, well those who never seen them.:love:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/fireemblem776/saturn-back-outside.jpg

And no the PS version doesnt have this on it i, looked.

atlanteay
03-21-2007, 02:54 AM
I may be wrong but i think you drag the files you want converted onto the application file which should be .exe.

Shoeberto
03-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Open the Run dialog and type in cmd. This should open the DOS command prompt.

Then navigate to whatever directory your program is stored in. This is as simple as typing

cd C:\Program\Path\Here
Though the C:\Program\Path\Here would be where your program actually is stored.

Then type the name of the program in. It should spit out whatever text was disappearing before, but this time it'll stay printed in the DOS window even after the text was printed. Then you can run the program with whatever command switches it tells you.

If it doesn't offer any actual instructions by just running it, often times running programs like that with a -? or -h afterwards prompts it to display its help.
So if the program's name is foo.exe, you can sometimes (though not always) get help printed out by running it with:

foo -h
or
foo -?

o_O
03-21-2007, 03:04 AM
Dragging and dropping is not an ideal solution, as the program may require additional parameters.

Click start > run, and type "cmd" into the box and press Ok.
This will pop up a "DOS" window, and all you need to do is change to the directory with the conversion program (cd C:\path\to\conversion\program), and run it by typing the name of it. You can probably include a parameter like -help to get basic usage information.

Fire_Emblem776
03-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks Ill give it a shot,

Mirage
03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
They're not really MS-DOS programs anyway, just command line :p

Discord
03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
They're not really MS-DOS programs anyway, just command line :p

Just my thought. If the program requires MS-DOS, you'll need a Win 9x system or a Dos Emulator, like DosBox, or, of course, Dos itself to run it.

Mirage
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Well, WinXP does a decent job emulating non-graphical DOS programs :p.

Fire_Emblem776
03-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the help, i got what I wanted. And the audio to! *dances*

xtrava
03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I think you type deltree windows...or maybe format c: to run the game =]

Fire_Emblem776
03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh I can run the game no problem, i just want to rip the neat FMVs from it. The Saturn version is to high for me to run on this ol computer, the PS version plays fine though.

Dragonface
03-21-2007, 10:34 PM
If thats the case, then you need some pugins (Spelling error?) for the Sega Saturn. I got a hard time to find the right pugins for PSone.

Fire_Emblem776
03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
If thats the case, then you need some pugins (Spelling error?) for the Sega Saturn. I got a hard time to find the right pugins for PSone.
Actually no, i have a load of plugins for the PS and if you need any Ill be happy to help out. Just PM me.:love:

Rostum
03-21-2007, 11:22 PM
My girlfriend thought I was a nerd when I entered in a few simple DOS commands. She laughed at me.

:(

o_O
03-22-2007, 02:53 AM
I think you type deltree windows...or maybe format c: to run the game =]

Deltree stopped existing after Windows 98. :p
Format'll do the trick, but not on a mounted filesystem. :p