PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Trouble

Elite Lord Sigma
03-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Well, I'm having problems connecting to the Internet on my home computer. In case you couldn't figure it out, I'm not using that computer to post this.

I have a Linksys wireless system set up. However, lately, whenever I boot up Firefox, it'll just flat out refuse to load anything, presenting me with a blank screen, despite how I'm connected to the access point. When I check my connection, it'll say, "You are connected to the access point, but the Internet could not be found." Does anybody know what I need to do to fix this?

o_O
03-22-2007, 02:58 AM
It probably means that you're not authenticating to your ISP's network or if you have no DSL signal (if you're using a DSL connection. I don't know about cable since we don't have it in New Zealand :p). That'll happen if your router has been factory reset, and surprisingly often it happens after a power surge.
Does your router have an "internet" light (or similar) in addition to a "dsl" one? That's an easy way to tell if you have authentication, if it's there.

Otherwise try opening up your router's admin page and checking if the username and password are correct. If you're using DSL, check the DSL status part of the router admin.

Rostum
03-22-2007, 03:45 AM
Just add, to find out how to get into the admin page of the router, do the following:

- Start > Run
- Type in "cmd" and press enter
- Type in "ipconfig" and press enter

Now look at the Default Gateway address, and go to your web browser and type it in the address. Generally it'll ask you for a username and password, which by default is usually Admin and Password.

o_O
03-22-2007, 06:46 AM
admin/password is quite common for the default username and password, however, some other combinations worth trying are admin/admin (Linksys and DLink) and admin/nothing (Nokia).

Since you have a Linksys system, I think admin/admin is a good bet. :p