PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questions

darksword12
03-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I have a couple of fairly stupid, yet at the same time good, questions:

How does Kadaj summon using a support (blue) materia?

Why doesn't Bahamut look like Bahamut?

Whatever happened to fighting with materia? (I think someone should have at least a restore equipped...)

I'd rather not get stupid answers.

boys from the dwarf
03-22-2007, 08:52 AM

dont use the video games rules. just because its blue doesn't mean its support materia. thats just the colours used in a game. before you argue against this if you plan to, can you give me a good reason that it shouldn't be blue other than "it was red on the game".

its a different bahamut. think of it as the 4th bahamut. i think its official name is bahamut sin.

Whatever happened to fighting with materia? (I think someone should have at least a restore equipped...)

i guess its not neccasary and it would make the film seem nerdy if everyone was using materia. kadaj using it is enough i guess.

darksword12
03-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, fine.

One more thing: Didn't Tseng die? In the temple of the ancients? What's he doing alive again?

BackRoomKid
03-26-2007, 07:25 AM
I'll try answering your question by ironically presenting another question: didn't Rufus die in that impossible-to-survive explosion that Weapon caused?

There are no "in game" answers to how Tseng survived just how there are no "in movie" answers to Rufus' survival...Square was clever and was attempting to explain Rufus' survival but Cloud conveniently interrupts him.

My guesses: Tseng somehow managed to escape before the Temple of the Ancients imploded.

OR

The loyal Turks (Reno, Rude, Elena) rescued him.

Mercen-X
03-26-2007, 09:42 PM
When is Kadaj's summon materia displayed as blue?

As for the survivors. An in-game explanation for Rufus is given in Dirge of Cerberus where Vincent and Yuffie are helping to evac Midgar. You can tell Rufus is being carted away to a medical facility. The truly tyranical can never be stopped by something as widespread as an explosion. Like Shinra, they have to be killed firsthand by warriors like Sephiroth.

As to Tseng. He wasn't actually in the Temple as Cloud and the others were. He wasn't trapped.
He's a Turk which means he's tougher than average and the Sephiroth he was up against was just a wimpy clone, like Kadasephy. Since he didn't actually fight him, he only got a pretty nasty cut.

Elly
03-26-2007, 11:50 PM
i think Tifa had some Materia equiped during the fight in the church, i think this because of the blue electrical discharge from one of her gloves as they showed in a closeup during the fight...

darksword12
03-27-2007, 12:17 AM
i think Tifa had some Materia equiped during the fight in the church, i think this because of the blue electrical discharge from one of her gloves as they showed in a closeup during the fight...

That could have been a limit break. Cloud uses blade beam at one point in the movie, and I mistook that for materia at first. I dunno, it could have been materia Tifa was using.

Mercen-X
03-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think so. I think that was an aftersurge from Loz's attack. He as an electrical gauntlet.

Elly
03-27-2007, 09:32 PM
it looked to me like Loz's gauntlet apears to use hydrolics, but i guess electricity could be the catalyst to activate them, if the handle went to an igniter of some kind, sortta like an electric lighter's igniter but bigger and more powerfull... as for the possibility of limit break, yeah it could have been residual of her breaks i do remember seeing her use at least 3 of them during that fight, so it is possible, i assumed Materia though like Haste, you see how fast they were fighting, especialy after they showed Kadaj absorb the Materia directly into his trenchcoat (armor) i'm guessing, i figured heck maybe the other equips can absorb Materia as well...

Darth Anarcus
03-28-2007, 02:36 AM

dont use the video games rules. just because its blue doesn't mean its support materia. thats just the colours used in a game. before you argue against this if you plan to, can you give me a good reason that it shouldn't be blue other than "it was red on the game.
Yes. Here is something I keep telling people, and it applies to every single video game ever made: gameplay isn't canon. Ever. What is canon are the FMVs (being the most realistic depiction of events being played out), and the general progression of the plot. It is impossible for the actual gameplay to be canon because there are infinite possibilities based of every single move the player makes with any button. When you set yourself in that mind frame, you'll understand how the story works a lot better. Otherwise, you just become overly anal and run into problems like, "Oh, why couldn't they have used a phoenix down on Aerith?" People that ask those kinds of questions annoy me to death. Don't become one of them.;)

boys from the dwarf
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, fine.

One more thing: Didn't Tseng die? In the temple of the ancients? What's he doing alive again?

play that point again and after Tsenf talks to you and collapses, press cirlcle and talk to him, you'll find he's still alive. i'd guess the turks take him out of the temple and help nurse him back to health. but Tseng doesn't die.

check it out yourself, look at a script of the game or just take my word for it.

Flare_Cross
04-05-2007, 09:44 PM
loz's weapon is a stungun i think..

darksword12
04-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah, fine.

play that point again and after Tsenf talks to you and collapses, press cirlcle and talk to him, you'll find he's still alive. i'd guess the turks take him out of the temple and help nurse him back to health. but Tseng doesn't die.

check it out yourself, look at a script of the game or just take my word for it.

After the section with the rolling boulders, you see a scene in which Tseng is inside the temple and Sephiroth stabs him something awful. Is this just a recording?

One more thing about the materia:

If gameplay isn't canon, then why is the materia multicolored? After Marlene throws one, you see that the materia is the exact same colors as it was in the game. I still say the materia was half-assed. They broke one of the rules of materia mechanics, but they still kept elements of the materia system. I can even accept new materias (I.E., Bahamut Sin) and Kadaj and the others absorbing materia directly, but this pathetic attempt to merge existent mechanics with the realistic stuff just gets me miffed. Screw the "gameplay isn't canon" argument. If Square didn't want materia color to corollate to the materia's effect, they shouldn't have done it in the game! It's not that hard to combine mechanics with canon. Alternatively, they could have just made it red in the movie.

All the responses I have received have been poorly thought-up justifications for a grave inconsistency. The movie was quite good, but I can't help but feel some disappointment.

boys from the dwarf
04-05-2007, 10:40 PM
What rules. the game never specifically said that summon materia had to be red and it wouldn't work if it was any other colour.

Tseng was indeed stabbed by sephiroth but the stab wasn't completely fatal and he survived it.

Big D
04-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Tseng survived, but he was badly wounded. The English translation just makes it seem like he's dead. That, and the fact that he disappears from the game after that point.

It's not certain that Kadaj actually uses that blue Materia to summon Bahamut Tremor. Sure, we see him slide a blue materia into his arm, and it's the same arm that glows with spirit energy whenever he casts a spell as well. But Yazoo and Loz also get that same blue glow when they're trying to cast spells right before they perish, and we can see they they've got materia of all colours in their arms. So it's entirely possible that Kadaj has a bevy of materia in his arm too.
Or, it could simply be that the Bahamut Tremor materia is an odd one out. After all, Bahamut ZERO is obtained from the blue huge materia inthe original game.

Tifa doesn't use materia during her fight with Loz - the electric discharge comes from Loz's weapon, which uses hydraulic/pneumatic pistons that are electrified for good measure.
However, right after the fight, Cloud looks for his materia - presumably to help Tifa - and mutters 'damn!' when he sees the empty case.

darksword12
04-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Big D. You've made some really good points.

Maybe the blue materia was an MP Turbo or something? Whatever.

One more thing: the game does not specifically say that summon materia is red, but it does specifically show that it is.

Mercen-X
04-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Maybe when Support materia is activated, it usually drowns out Magic or Summon materia . . . visually. I don't care.

sub zero
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
they use materia to get the power/knowlage of the achents and as kadaj and that lot absorb them into their bodys they can use any materia for any thing. as in the deleted sceance kadaj asks what shall we summon next when he has only one materia.

Big D
04-28-2007, 01:14 AM
they use materia to get the power/knowlage of the achents and as kadaj and that lot absorb them into their bodys they can use any materia for any thing. as in the deleted sceance kadaj asks what shall we summon next when he has only one materia.He only has one materia that we see. He could, however, have a ton of other stones in his arm, just like Yazoo and Loz, who're carrying several materia each, that are never visible until they're starting to dissipate at the movie's end.

The black mage
04-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Look at the summon in game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FqOkhN6fMg), green light and a bunch of simbouls.
In game it looks alright. but if Kadaj did that in the movie, it would look :skull::skull::skull::skull:. so they used a blue light.
So what if they didn't match the coulor, if you look carfuly cloud cuts his own wepon.

Cookie
04-29-2007, 05:03 AM
Like Shinra, they have to be killed firsthand by warriors like Sephiroth.

Haha, the original Sephiroth wasn't exactly anything special, he was beaten by a standard soldier. Go watch Last Order.

Big D
04-29-2007, 06:44 AM

Haha, the original Sephiroth wasn't exactly anything special, he was beaten by a standard soldier. Go watch Last Order.He just got caught off-guard and wounded, at a time when he was not in his right mind. Then caught even further off-guard when Cloud did his "unlocking-his-true-strength-when-the-circumstances-demand-it" routine. Sephiroth was definitely something special even before he fell into the Lifestream; he was the strongest member of SOLDIER, who already surpassed regular human strength and power.

Cookie
04-29-2007, 07:00 AM
He shouldn't have been caught off guard, imo.

The Crystal
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Kadaj probably corrupted it with part of the Tainted Lifestream, making it look different and be more powerful than the other Summons.

According to Nomura, the use of materia drains the planet's life energy, this being why the good guys don't use it anymore. There's not an explanation for why its use drains the planet's energy, but based on Sephiroth's explanation from the original game that materia links someone to the planet and allows them to use its powers, its most likely that the materia allows someone to tap into the Lifestream's energy and manifest it as a spell based on the specs of the materia they're using. This would, of course, drain the planet's energy, the same as turning it into electricity would.

Cookie
04-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Somebody got a little trigger happy with the posting button methinks.

The Crystal
04-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Somebody got a little trigger happy with the posting button methinks.

Already fixed. Sorry.

darksword12
05-01-2007, 04:21 AM
So... could someone explain to me what this "tainted lifestream" is? I saw the movie and didn't catch that...

Big D
05-01-2007, 04:34 AM
So... could someone explain to me what this "tainted lifestream" is? I saw the movie and didn't catch that...Remember when Kadaj is telling the Geostigma kids that they, like him, "inherited Mother's memetic legacy through the Lifestream"?
What he's referring to is Jenova's essence, her unique spirit energy, that got unleashed after the team defeated Jenova in the past. When the Lifestream gushed out of the planet to destroy the meteor, that tainted energy was spread around the world. Geostigma is the manifestation of the fight between Jenova's corrupted spirit energy, and the natural energy that exists in living things. So, anyone with Jenova cells - e.g. Cloud - and anyone who inherited that tainted energy - e.g. the Geostigma kids - suffers as a result.

When Sephiroth is reborn after Kadaj reuites with Jenova's head, he says he wants "the last thoughts of Geostigma's dead". Basically, the spirit energy of everyone killed by Geostimga. The spirit energy which carries Jenova's essence. He says that this energy could 'girdle the planet, choking' - presumably by corrupting both life and the Lifestream itself. Kind of like how Jenova behaved when she first arrived 2000 years ago, infecting and mutating other organisms with her virus-like biological matter.

Just before Cloud and Sephiroth begin their final fight, columns of dark energy start to manifest around them, apparently called down by Sephiroth. That's presumably the tainted Lifestream.

NeoCracker
05-01-2007, 09:33 AM

Kadaj probably corrupted it with part of the Tainted Lifestream, making it look different and be more powerful than the other Summons.

According to Nomura, the use of materia drains the planet's life energy, this being why the good guys don't use it anymore. There's not an explanation for why its use drains the planet's energy, but based on Sephiroth's explanation from the original game that materia links someone to the planet and allows them to use its powers, its most likely that the materia allows someone to tap into the Lifestream's energy and manifest it as a spell based on the specs of the materia they're using. This would, of course, drain the planet's energy, the same as turning it into electricity would.

Wait, Most Likely? The Guide that is suppose to clear up the Story and tell you how it really is, uses the Term "Most Likley"? Shouldn't they say something like "It is that the Materia" over "Its most likley that the Materia?"

The Crystal
05-02-2007, 04:04 AM
Wait, Most Likely? The Guide that is suppose to clear up the Story and tell you how it really is, uses the Term "Most Likley"? Shouldn't they say something like "It is that the Materia" over "Its most likley that the Materia?"

This is the translation of the UOG book that you can find in the internet. Who translated it was Ryu Kaze. The translation of the UOG is very good, BUT in the end of it, Ryu give us some informations that are presented in the Reunion Files(a different book). He didn't translated the RF(like he did with the UOG) but he readed it, and tell us what is explained in the book(RF).
Who is talking in the quote is not SE in the UOG, but Ryu Kaze about the RF, in the end of his UOG translation.

Mercen-X
05-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Haha, the original Sephiroth wasn't exactly anything special, he was beaten by a standard soldier. Go watch Last Order.

I didn't says he was special and according to Last Order, he wasn't even beaten. Like Kadaj near the end of AC, he just sort of submitted. IT was a lame rape of the recap. Fact is, Tseng was nearly killed by Sephclone, but he's a Turk, not some runt from the slums or an onlooker at Gold Saucer. Even the SOLDIERs who became "clones" only died because they stood around waiting to be cut down.

Damn it, Cloud ain't no standard SOLDIER. Even Seph, the Legend of the Ten-Year War, was forced to wonder "What are you?"

Obviously, Zack was better as a SOLDIER than Cloud was and Seph kicked his ass.