PDA

View Full Version : FF13 Exclusivity in discussion

JKTrix
03-22-2007, 07:03 PM
There are several reports on this out there by now, but I'll link to this one from Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/22/final-fantasy-xiii-exclusivity-in-discussion-says-sony-france/).

What's happening is Sony France's boss mentioned that the exclusivity of FF13 is 'in discussion'. The article brings up a good point: was FF ever exclusive anyway? Most of us know FF7 and FF8 were on the PC not too long after the PS1 version came out. It could be that the later games were 'only on playstation' because it was most profitable for them to keep it there and not bother with porting it over. If they saw an opportunity to make some more money with a port, I'm sure they would have done it (FF11).

That could be the situation FF13 is in. No one is really sure if having their game 'only on PS3' (or any system for that matter) is really profitable. The PS2 had a commanding lead in the outgoing generation, so FF could sit pretty on PS2 and not have to worry about making money. PS3 doesn't have that guarantee of profit at this point, and it still may not by time FF13 comes out.

If Sony wants to keep FF13 as an exclusive this time, they may have to pay up. No longer do they have the luxury of saying "Your Game + Playstation = $$$." Judging from recent announcements--beyond Devil May Cry and Ace Combat--Sony hasn't fought hard enough (if at all) to keep some of its prior exclusives. Final Fantasy is one of their only remaining established heavy-hitters. From what I understand, Sony owns some small stock in Square-Enix, so I'd imagine they'd hold on extra tight to this one.

UltimaMasamune
03-22-2007, 08:23 PM
He meant that he is trying to make a contract between him and SE to make FFXIII PS3 only

JKTrix
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Yep, I realize. Which would mean that all this time, it wasn't. Just like DMC4 and VF5, they were being shown off a long time ago as PS3 games. Assassin's Creed too. But I think we all should know now, that unless it's made by Sony, or it says expressly that it's a 'PS3 exclusive', nothing is nailed down.

Cloudane
03-22-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm glad it's still 'questionable' and I hope S.E. will consider porting it to the 360 as I *hate* Sony these days and am unlikely to buy a PS3 even for FF13 (unless FF12 is exciting, and half-way through or thereabouts and it's failed to excite me so far)

XxSephirothxX
03-23-2007, 03:19 AM
I'd love to see it on the 360, not out of any spite for Sony, but simply because I'd like to play the game and probably won't be shelling out 600 bucks for a PS3. :monster: Honestly, though, I kind of expect Sony Japan to be like "That French guy doesn't know what he's talking about" and deny it.

Setzer Gabianni
03-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Stay on the PS3. If it goes to 360..I'll be forced to buy the cheaper console to play an FF game. Don't want to, seeing as I don't particularly give a :skull::skull::skull::skull: about the X-Box. Don't hate it, but I don't sodding want one.

Dreddz
03-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I guess the fact that they have to discuss about it means that it was all crap that FFXIII was unable to leave the PS3 due to it being specifically made for the system.

I wouldnt mind it appearing on the 360, the 360 needs a worthwhile RPG like FFXIII.

Roto13
03-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Stay on the PS3. If it goes to 360..I'll be forced to buy the cheaper console to play an FF game. Don't want to, seeing as I don't particularly give a :skull::skull::skull::skull: about the X-Box. Don't hate it, but I don't sodding want one.

Then don't buy one. Just because it might not be exclusive to PS3, that doesn't mean it won't still come out for PS3. That's like these people who act like they're not getting DMC 4 for PS3 because it's also coming out for 360.

Slothy
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I guess the fact that they have to discuss about it means that it was all crap that FFXIII was unable to leave the PS3 due to it being specifically made for the system.

I wouldnt mind it appearing on the 360, the 360 needs a worthwhile RPG like FFXIII.

Put enough work into any game and you can port it to pretty much any system. I'd say it's more that Sony realizes that this and MGS4 are two of it's real system sellers. People will buy a PS3 for FFXIII and Sony wants to lock it in as an exclusive. If Square wanted to just go and start working on a port from the get go you could conceivably see it on the 360 within a period after the PS3 release. If Sony could lock them into a contract for at least a year or two then they get what they want. One of the few games that actually will sell consoles will be there's for a long enough period to make it hurt for the 360. It'd be a smart business move on their part, regardless of what the odds may be that Square will put it on the 360.

psyniac_123
03-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Xbox 360 version would nice, being it's cheaper right now, of course. But I'll still be getting a PS3, eventually. That was always the case, especially since "OMG FFXIII!!!11" and MGS4... but if it's just MGS4 I'll be waiting for, I can do that; wait.

Setzer Gabianni
03-25-2007, 08:38 PM

Then don't buy one. Just because it might not be exclusive to PS3, that doesn't mean it won't still come out for PS3. That's like these people who act like they're not getting DMC 4 for PS3 because it's also coming out for 360.

I know that, I'm not dumb, I just don't think it should be made accessible to the 360. If it was originally meant for the PS3, it should stay as a PS3 exclusive. :/

Roto13
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM

I know that, I'm not dumb, I just don't think it should be made accessible to the 360. If it was originally meant for the PS3, it should stay as a PS3 exclusive. :/

What difference does it make to you?

Mirage
03-25-2007, 11:14 PM

1. Does it give you pleasure to know that 360 owners won't be able to play the games you like?

2. That means you're opposed to just about every other port in the world, right? FFIV-VI on the GBA? FF8 on the PC? FFXI on the 360? Red Alert on the PS1?

I think that your argument doesn't really make any sense.

DeStyle
03-26-2007, 07:04 AM

You only want to keep it at PS3 because you bought one
and feel like the xbox 360 currently would have been a
better purchase. Now also one of the reasons why you
bought a PS3 is available on xbox 360 too.

It looks like that to me.

Setzer Gabianni
03-26-2007, 09:19 AM
You only want to keep it at PS3 because you bought one
and feel like the xbox 360 currently would have been a
better purchase. Now also one of the reasons why you
bought a PS3 is available on xbox 360 too.

erm..no? I don't have a PS3 anyway.

I'm not opposed to every single port, I own some of them.., and stop trying to make me like some sort of evil person with this 1. Does it give you pleasure to know that 360 owners won't be able to play the games you like? :cry: No idea what Red Alert is mind you =O

I was simply saying that I'd like it to remain on PS3, mainly because I want it to remain a unique PS3 title that's all :/ - don't want PS3 to lose out on another exclusive (and no, I'm not sat here going "HAHA, 360 OWNERS SHOULDNT BE GETTING IT LOLZ!)

It would be nice that the first official FF game on the PS3 stays on the PS3 :/ too

Mirage
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't see the point of being "loyal" to a box of plastic and metal, and a company who only cares for your money.

And you do sound like an evil person by saying "360 owners should never be able to play FFXIII".

Red Alert is a Command & Conquer game from the mid-90s.

CimminyCricket
03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Red Alert is a Command & Conquer game from the mid-90s.

And an amazing one at that.

I want FFXIII to be PS3 available only really. Simply because the majority of the "new gen", non 2D i guess, have been sony, or nintendo for remakes, only. I hate change.
I guess XIII for the Wii would be nice. Agito would be kick ass on that system.

Setzer Gabianni
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
And you do sound like an evil person by saying "360 owners should never be able to play FFXIII".

Well I'm not? I think I already mentioned that.

Agito? Isn't that the mobile phone?

Ouch!
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd be incredibly happy if Final Fantasy XIII went to the XBox 360. Currently, FFXIII and Versus XIII are the only reasons I would have for ever purchasing a PlayStation III, and I'm not entirely sure that either is enough for me to warrant the purchase of a $600 system. XBox 360 also gets the Mistwalker games, which I'm also interested in.