PDA

View Full Version : PCI-Express X16 and other computer questions!

MecaKane
03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Ok, so it's getting close to the time when I'm going to be looking for a PC to buy, and I've got some questions!
What's PCI-Express X16? A new, new type of graphics thing I guess. Or is X1 the new type? I dunno!
At futureshop, only some of the computers are listed with having PCI-E X16, along with an X1 which I guess is just the other type. Specifically <a href="http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084207&catid=">Acer</a> ones, and none of the others.
So is like PCI-EX16 going to be the new standard, leaving normal PCI-E cards all expensive and old like AGP or PCI cards?
Also is Acer a good brand? It seems like it, at least!

ValiantKnight
03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
iirc, and memory is bad, so... not sure why im writing.

Originally PCIe came out and could support up to 16x, but nothing was in the works at first for it to support 16x at launch/first showing/etc..

So i think it came out at 8x, which is the same speed as AGP, although PCIe is still a little faster.
Now I guess this means that they are harnessing the full 16x of the PCIe technology.
1x is for what would generally be put in a pci slot, and is even a little faster than PCI.

AGP is on the way out, they don't really make any new video cards for it, I believe it stopped at the 7600 for nvidia. Not sure about ATI
PCIe has the 8800 for nvidia however.

Thats about all I know for now.

PCIe is a standard of motherboard to card connection, its speed ranges from 1x to 16x, and obviously you cant stick a 16x item into a 1x slot.

Rokk
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, and basically all new cards take x16.

MecaKane
04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh, yeah
I found out that HPs do have pci-e x16s, right now I'm just waiting on a best buy to get more of a core 2 refurbished hp in stock and I'll have one eventually!