PDA

View Full Version : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Yamaneko
03-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Any of you guys pick this up? I've been playing all day and so far it's been really good. The gameplay is somewhere between Deus Ex and Oblivion where you definitely have more room to explore than Deus Ex, but the world (structured around main missions which open up larger parts of the world) is more limited than Oblivion.

So there's another disaster at Chernobyl in the early 21st century and all this crazy stuff happens (mutants, paranormal activity). You're a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (a mercenary) who loses his memory and you're trying to find out who you are and what you're doing there. In Deus Ex fashion the FPS elements are stronger than the RPG elements, but you're still forced to manage inventory (you find and use artifacts from the explosion (like materia), which enhance abilities or protect you from certain things, sometimes at the cost of another ability). The game in general is tough, but in particular the A.I. is brutal. They'll keep cover and flank you.

The game is very much dependent on the atmosphere it conjures and at times it feels like a survival horror game because you have limited ammo and you're being chased by freaky :skull::skull::skull::skull:. If you don't want that kind of experience then you probably shouldn't look into this game.

Since S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been in development for so long the PC requirements aren't too steep, especially if you're willing to go without all the dynamic lighting effects (which I have). I'm running everything on max at 1024x768 without dynamic lighting and moving along at a steady 30+ in wide open environment on my 6600GT.

If you've been looking for a different kind of FPS than what you've seen from American developers over the past few years (the developer, GSC, is Ukrainian) then you'll want to check this great FPS out.

starseeker
03-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm not really into FPS but, this needed to be posted.

http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070324

Spammerman
03-24-2007, 01:10 PM
LMAO

Dreddz
03-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Alot of comparisons with Deus Ex I see. That is great as Deus Ex is my favorite FPS to date. If this game can run on my laptop, then I might pick it up.

Maxico
03-24-2007, 02:01 PM
"You got Oblivion in my Half-Life"

Also, I've been hearing that enemies are of the bullet sponge variety. That is, it takes two shotgun blasts to kill a dog and an entire SMG clip to take down a grunt.

That was shortly before the release though, any truth in that?

Also, is it me or does this "CAD" get even more horribly unfunny every time I see it posted?

Yamaneko
03-24-2007, 04:54 PM
The aiming and targeting system is body-specific, meaning that head shots up close from basically any weapon will kill low level mercs or soldiers. Most weapons have iron sights so you need to use them in order to get a good shot on enemies far away. Dogs take a few shots up close from your pistol to take down or just one shot from the shotgun. Boars and other bigger wildlife (infected by the radiation) take two or more shotgun blasts to take down.

If you want a super polished experience in your FPS then this game is not for you. The production value isn't on par with HL or even FarCry (another foreign FPS). What it lacks in that particular area, though, it makes up in atmosphere and sheer size. There really hasn't been an American FPS like this since probably Thief 2 or thereabouts.

escobert
03-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Sounds like F.E.A.R.?

Odaisé Gaelach
03-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I was desperately hunting around for a copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. yesterday, and for the life of me I couldn't find one... :(

Definitely, though, I'll snap it up when I find it. I've been really looking forward to this game.

Yamaneko
03-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Sounds like F.E.A.R.?
I think the game is scarier than F.E.A.R. if that's what you're saying. In terms of gameplay S.T.A.L.K.E.R is nothing like F.E.A.R.

Larahl
03-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I really want to play this game, but too bad for me my PC hardware can't handle S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :(

Discord
03-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Does it actually have any resemblance to the film "Stalker" by Tarkovsky? I've heard you could throw bolts with handkerchiefs on them and they've did that in the film.

Odaisé Gaelach
03-25-2007, 03:09 AM
Does it actually have any resemblance to the film "Stalker" by Tarkovsky? I've heard you could throw bolts with handkerchiefs on them and they've did that in the film.

I've only read Roadside Picnic, which, I think, Stalker is based on.

The bolts, yes. They throw the bolts in an area to see if there is a dangerous anomoly around them. The Zone in Shadow of Chernobyl is similar to that in Radside Picnic, as is the idea of collecting artefacts..

Yamaneko
03-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Yes, you can throw bolts to identify anomalies. Most artefacts are found around anomalies, so you need to get in and out fast. Right now I can't get near the lightening anomaly because it kills me instantly.

The movie Stalker is based on the book Roadside Picnic which are both influential on the game. The movie is fantastic.