PDA

View Full Version : Do you think FF6 is the best Final Fantasy? Why or why not?

Holy Lancer
03-26-2007, 02:23 AM
Do you think that Final Fantasy VI is the best Final Fantasy game there is? Why or why not?

I personally think this one is the best. I love just about everything about it.

I really like the characer I think they are all well done. I think they did a really good job on Shadow's character. I also really liked Celes, Terra, Locke, Cyan, and Sabin's characters. All excellent characters in this game.

I also found the story very interesting. It never let me down. Kefka and Ghestahl kept me very interested. Lots of interesting things happen I don't want to put any spoilers in because it makes it less fun if you are playing it for the first time and know what's going to happen.

One reason the story is so good is because Kefka is such a great villain. I think he is the best villain yet, yes I am saying he is a better villain than Sephiroth. He is just so inhuman and insane, which makes him even a better villain. I remember many times in the game when I was saying to myself "Kefka are you mad"? or "How can this madman stand a chance against us sons of submariners"? God, I love this game.

I thought the music score was very stong for this game. I thought these songs were all great - Shadow's Theme, The Decisive Battle (Boss Battle), Battle Theme, Dancing Mad, Terra's Theme, Kefka's Theme, Cyan's Theme, Under Martial Law, Troops March On, Slam Shuffle (Zozo), and Another World of Beasts.

I also like the ATB Battle System the best. I tend to enjoy Final Fantasy games that use the ATB Battle System more than the ones that don't. I also really enjoyed Final Fantasy V and IX but didn't like Final Fantasy X as much because of the Battle System.

I think this game is definetly one of the best and in my opinion the best Final Fantasy game. I don't see any weaknesses about it and love everything about it. That's why it's my favorite. I can play it hours and hours without getting bored. And portable!!!

JackNapier
03-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Well I was going to give some reasons, but you went and named the best ones. Besides Kefka's massive pwnage, I really liked how they managed to develop (and develop well) the many characters. Also because it was so long in my opinion, you could play seemingly endlessly with all the side quests and what-not.

Holy Lancer
03-26-2007, 04:26 AM
Well I was going to give some reasons, but you went and named the best ones. Besides Kefka's massive pwnage, I really liked how they managed to develop (and develop well) the many characters. Also because it was so long in my opinion, you could play seemingly endlessly with all the side quests and what-not.

Well said, I like how the game is long as well. I don't like it when awesome games end. So I can go on for a long time :)

Zeromus_X
03-26-2007, 04:37 AM
I don't think it's 'the best', but it is my personal favorite. I am very nostalgic of it, but it is a great game.

I hope that this thread doesn't turn into a 'Sephiroth > Kefka!11' kind of thread.

Holy Lancer
03-26-2007, 05:04 AM
I don't think it's 'the best', but it is my personal favorite. I am very nostalgic of it, but it is a great game.

I hope that this thread doesn't turn into a 'Sephiroth > Kefka!11' kind of thread.

Don't worry the "fanboys" don't post anywhere but in the FF7 section and this is in FF6 so I think we are safe. Kefka really does make this game great though. He's just such a great villain.

darksword12
03-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Sephiroth>Kefka? They're both pretty bad. I mean, seriously, they're insane! And people admire them?

If Sephiroth had a legitimate reason for his evil, he'd be totally AWESOME, but he doesn't. That ruins it right there.

And Kefka... ehh. He's kinda too evil for me to like. He has going for him the following:
Good lines
Good music
His evil is very pure. It's beautiful in its horrificness.

I have no idea why I posted this...

animegod
03-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Ahh....A good game.I have to agree with zeromus in the fact that its not the best, but its definetely a great game.Lol love the oldies...they bring back sweet memories.I especially loved the composition square did for the music in this one too :o

Araciel
03-26-2007, 05:38 AM
yes it's the best because i like it more than any other FF game.

ljkkjlcm9
03-26-2007, 05:47 AM
it's the best FF game, but I'm not sure it's the best game ever...

THE JACKEL

Holy Lancer
03-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Sephiroth>Kefka? They're both pretty bad. I mean, seriously, they're insane! And people admire them?

If Sephiroth had a legitimate reason for his evil, he'd be totally AWESOME, but he doesn't. That ruins it right there.

And Kefka... ehh. He's kinda too evil for me to like. He has going for him the following:
Good lines
Good music
His evil is very pure. It's beautiful in its horrificness.

I have no idea why I posted this...

You made a good point, Kefka is beautiful in his own horrificness lol, but you did what Zeromus_X didn't want you to do. Start the Sephiroth vs. Kefka thing. I guess we can't help it

yes it's the best because i like it more than any other FF game.

Why is that?

it's the best FF game, but I'm not sure it's the best game ever...

THE JACKAL

Why do you think its better than any other Final Fantasy game? :confused:

Ahh....A good game.I have to agree with zeromus in the fact that its not the best, but its definetely a great game.Lol love the oldies...they bring back sweet memories.I especially loved the composition square did for the music in this one too :o

Sorry I completely missed this post you have no avatar or signature :confused:

Anyways, I thought you would completely disagree with me after hearing you go on and on in our chat convo about how great FF3 is :p . The oldies pwn.

Araciel
03-26-2007, 06:28 AM
nostalgia, my favourite battle system, awesome soundtrack, good story, ok characters/development, not too much love story, cool items and equipment/esper system...it's all around my fave for these reasons.

LoKuS
03-26-2007, 07:11 AM
My personal fav.

Holy Lancer
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
nostalgia, my favourite battle system, awesome soundtrack, good story, ok characters/development, not too much love story, cool items and equipment/esper system...it's all around my fave for these reasons.

I liked that it wasn't too much a love story. When it is it can be a big negative for the game. Notice that I underlined "can be".

JackNapier
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM

I liked that it wasn't too much a love story. When it is it can be a big negative for the game. Notice that I underlined "can be".
Yeah, love stories can sometimes strengthen the emotion in the story, but I loved how FF6 was different, there wasn't a humongous love story (which is FF cliche nowadays) yet it still really got you involved.

Darthwedge
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
good game. kefka kould kill all other villians. Besides i love Cyan as well

silentenigma
03-26-2007, 10:32 PM
My favorite. Every aspect is balanced perfectly.

Crossblades
03-26-2007, 10:47 PM

This is how I feel as well

Monol
03-26-2007, 11:40 PM
hmm sephiroth vs kefka eh....:rolleyes2 yeah lets not get into that....any hoot yeah i definatly agree this was the best FF and im really glad alot of pepole agree :D its not my favorite...(FF7 of course) but you definatly hit it spot on with your comments :cool:

FF_Chick
03-27-2007, 12:31 AM
I do think FFVI is the best because it brought more nostalgia to me. It's music is a masterpeice for a SNES, that's for sure. It's characters all came to life for me, like Cyan's life, Terra's life, all of their lives came a reality to me. They were both sad, joyful, happy ended.
I also think this game has the best ending, with everything ending like a game should, insted of just flying off to some random place after a meteor almost hit.
Also the graphics were amazing, right next to Chrono Trigger, if not better.

Oh, and Kefka is the best villain in FF, Period.

(FFVI fangirl talking. But I'm also a FFIX fangirl.)

Holy Lancer
03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
I do think FFVI is the best because it brought more nostalgia to me. It's music is a masterpeice for a SNES, that's for sure. It's characters all came to life for me, like Cyan's life, Terra's life, all of their lives came a reality to me. They were both sad, joyful, happy ended.
I also think this game has the best ending, with everything ending like a game should, insted of just flying off to some random place after a meteor almost hit.

I also really enjoyed FFIX it's definetly one of my top 3 favorite final fantasy games.

If just about everyone agrees that this game is the best then why does FF7 still manage to be considered the best final fantasy? Mabye people are talking out of their "rear ends" :mog: and not even considering FF6.

FF_Chick
03-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Just because no one liked Nintendo back then and they started on a more "Mature (not)" system, the PS1. And they seen FFVII, it looked amazing, then it didn't seem to turn out like those false commercials. FFVII isn't even 3D, except for battles and the world map.

Holy Lancer
03-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Just because no one liked Nintendo back then and they started on a more "Mature (not)" system, the PS1. And they seen FFVII, it looked amazing, then it didn't seem to turn out like those false commercials. FFVII isn't even 3D, except for battles and the world map.

Even though I like Cloud and I like Vincent FF7 is definetly WAY WAY overrated! kupo on that :mog:

FF_Chick
03-27-2007, 02:12 AM
I like Vincent way better than Cloud, although I like his story. But Vincent is just cool. He's infamous.

But we are getting off topic, sort of...

I think the character development in FFVI didn't do very well, except for Terra and a few others. I love Celes to death.

Araciel
03-27-2007, 02:52 AM
i like the fact that the character development takes a backseat to oh...i don't know...the END OF THE FREAKIN WORLD

who cares about someone's personal problems when a madman is destroying life as you know it?!?!?!

Avarice-ness
03-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Hold on lemme find my old sig...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/Kefkawin.gif

That reason alone, is why it's the best. <3

Oh and because the people in the FFVI forum can be described by this truthful Zozonian we killed last week.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/truths.png

JackNapier
03-27-2007, 04:28 AM

Oh and because the people in the FFVI forum can be described by this truthful Zozonian we killed last week.

That...was beautiful.

Holy Lancer
03-27-2007, 05:08 AM

Haha you own Avarice-ness, you're my hero. We own Zozo :love:

03-27-2007, 09:33 AM

I don't see how anyone could make an even halfway intelligent argument that sephiroth is better than Kefka. An objective look at the stats and scoresheet clearly show who is the better man. Kefka is easily the greatest final fantasy villain of all time. that's not me being a fanboy, those are the facts.

And yes, I think FFVI is the best FF game. It was a tough call between the replayability, job system and overall fun factor of V and the enormous story and captivating characters on FFVI, but in the end I claim VI as my favorite.

Avarice-ness
03-27-2007, 03:19 PM

I don't see how anyone could make an even halfway intelligent argument that sephiroth is better than Kefka. An objective look at the stats and scoresheet clearly show who is the better man. Kefka is easily the greatest final fantasy villain of all time. that's not me being a fanboy, those are the facts.

And yes, I think FFVI is the best FF game. It was a tough call between the replayability, job system and overall fun factor of V and the enormous story and captivating characters on FFVI, but in the end I claim VI as my favorite.

I was in that thread for about... A COUPLE OF MONTHS, protesting Kefka's side of course. :razz:

But most the facts used for Sephiroths side, were based outside of gameplay from either AC or that guide thingo that just gives out more useless information than it should or "He looks cool" which gets thrown out then they freak because looking cool doesn't make you awesome. Ironically enough everyother person backing another series kept being all "Dude stick to gameplay facts" but apparently they couldn't... and it's because our gameplay facts are greater than theirs!

FFVI was my first FF game and after like what... 13 years I still can't stop playing it! :heart:

Bunny
03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
It's pretty okayish.

scrumpleberry
03-27-2007, 05:55 PM

I also really enjoyed FFIX it's definetly one of my top 3 favorite final fantasy games.

If just about everyone agrees that this game is the best then why does FF7 still manage to be considered the best final fantasy? Mabye people are talking out of their "rear ends" :mog: and not even considering FF6.

Actually, I loved Final Fantasy VII nearly as much as Final Fantasy VI (but I only played to outside Junon because when I saved after Junon when I tried to load the files it said "this data file is corrupted). I thought it had a very unique feeling to it, and they were playing with the censorship freedom without being TOO ott. I found it really fun.

But for the record, VI is my favourite. The first one I ever became truly obsessed with, I love everything about it: music, graphics, characters (aside from Cyan, I never saw what the big deal was with him), storyline, Kefka (I suppose you're right about the too much evil thing, but everyone needs a little random insanity in their lives), levelling system...a wonderful game. :kaocheer:

(FFIX owns too.)

Darius
03-27-2007, 07:13 PM
.....I love everything about it: music, graphics, characters (aside from Cyan, I never saw what the big deal was with him)....

Well, Gestahl was trying to take over Cyans castle. Cyan sealed off the only way into the castle and fought off all the soldiers outside of it. Kefka then not only killed every person in the castle with poison, but also Cyans wife and child. I dont know if Cyan wanted revenge but he had nowhere to go, now that everything he knew and lived for was gone, and became pretty emo. That was his deal.

scrumpleberry
03-27-2007, 07:43 PM
.....I love everything about it: music, graphics, characters (aside from Cyan, I never saw what the big deal was with him)....

Well, Gestahl was trying to take over Cyans castle. Cyan sealed off the only way into the castle and fought off all the soldiers outside of it. Kefka then not only killed every person in the castle with poison, but also Cyans wife and child. I dont know if Cyan wanted revenge but he had nowhere to go, now that everything he knew and lived for was gone, and became pretty emo. That was his deal.

Huh. Touché. He still annoys me though. :tongue:

Elpizo
03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
No, it's not the best (for me). 2 reasons: Overrated and fanboys that overpraise it. Just like FF VII. Not saying the fanboys are here, though, but they do exist, in large numbers. Almost as large as FF VII. That's scary.

But even so, overrated or not, it's a magnificent game, that's for sure. A good story, interesting characters, obviously godly music (Did I say I love "The Fierce Battle"?). However, as great as this all is, VI has 2 big flaws (flaws for me, can be good point for somebody else).

Namely, the World of Ruin. Uh, almost everything great fell appart there (even my precious Blackjack, quite literally!). The music remained good, so did the graphics, but the story was gone. Sure, character moments and all that stuff, but really, 50% of the game being one big side-quest is too much for me. I really prefered FF V's way of optional stuff (World3). It was shorter there, and better handled IMHO. In VI, they overdid it.

Second thing I generally dislike is the difficulty. Killing the Final Boss, THE villain that ruined the world, in ONE HIT is a big NO. Sure, you have to work for it, but it IS possible. And honestly, with the Espers, everybody can be reraising Ultima Spamming damage cannons. The idea of learning magic through Espers is a very good one. Clone characters are not. At least in FF VI each at least had his/her own ability (Bushido, Blitz, Tools...), but it started the clone-character syndrome found in VII, VIII, X and XII, which I dislike.

Those are my biggest problems I have with FF VI, and they do hurt the game a bit for me. But it's still a very good Final Fantasy. Just, because of the flaws (flaws in my eyes, mind you), it's not as good as FF V was (for me). Still, no FF fan should pass this one up.

Oh, and I have to say: Kuja > Kefka, in my humble little opinion. ;)

Avarice-ness
03-28-2007, 12:09 AM

Hi welcome to Zozo, where it's full of sun and the foutains pour with wine.

In about Five seconds you'll meet Dada and he'll greet you with hugs for that comment. :)

Araciel
03-28-2007, 12:15 AM

In about Five seconds you'll meet Dada and he'll greet you with hugs for that comment. :)

BWAHAHAHA

dada was so unscary...he fights reclining! come on miss mayor throw something scary

Avarice-ness
03-28-2007, 12:33 AM

BWAHAHAHA

dada was so unscary...he fights reclining! come on miss mayor throw something scary

He's not suppose to be scarry! Dada is the kindest person in existance! He was just trying to hug you, but you don't know how to hug right. :(

ljkkjlcm9
03-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Second thing I generally dislike is the difficulty. Killing the Final Boss, THE villain that ruined the world, in ONE HIT is a big NO. Sure, you have to work for it, but it IS possible. And honestly, with the Espers, everybody can be reraising Ultima Spamming damage cannons. The idea of learning magic through Espers is a very good one. Clone characters are not. At least in FF VI each at least had his/her own ability (Bushido, Blitz, Tools...), but it started the clone-character syndrome found in VII, VIII, X and XII, which I dislike.

Firstly, yes you can kill the final boss in "1 attack" but it's really 8 and you have to level enough to do the damage, and choose the right character, both things the average player won't do.

Secondly, it far from started a "clone" syndrome. The only FF without clone syndrome before it was FFIV. FFI, could all be the same, FFII, can train them the same, FFIII, can be the same class, FFV, if you train them enough, just like FFVI, they're clones. My FFV advance, they all know everything, so how are they not clones? FFVI, no matter what characters have specials, that when it boils down to it, make the character what they are. Of the early FF games, FFVI is the second LEAST clone game.

THE JACKEL

JackNapier
03-28-2007, 12:36 AM

BWAHAHAHA

He's not suppose to be scarry! Dada is the kindest person in existance! He was just trying to hug you, but you don't know how to hug right. :(
There there, they'll learn someday. Anyhow, I think Kefka was a more worthy villain than Kuja, but Kuja does come closer than any other FF bad guy. I also consider FF9 to be a close 2nd to FF6.

Araciel
03-28-2007, 12:55 AM
i'll never learn to hug :cry:

Holy Lancer
03-28-2007, 04:06 AM

BWAHAHAHA

There there, they'll learn someday. Anyhow, I think Kefka was a more worthy villain than Kuja, but Kuja does come closer than any other FF bad guy. I also consider FF9 to be a close 2nd to FF6.

Wow, us FF6 fans are all the same. FF9 is definetly the second best. It really reminds me of FF6 :D it's similar in alot of ways. They used 4 characters in the party :D :D :D and they had many times where the party splits up into groups very similar to what happens in the FF6 storyline.

darksword12
03-28-2007, 06:23 AM

Hey, for the record, Dadaluma attacked ME! I wanted to avoid a fight as much as he did, but then he goes and starts attacking me. Either he was being sarcastic, or he's in the habit of doing counter-productive things.

Avarice-ness
03-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Hey, for the record, Dadaluma attacked ME! I wanted to avoid a fight as much as he did, but then he goes and starts attacking me. Either he was being sarcastic, or he's in the habit of doing counter-productive things.

What is this record you speak of? The only thing that should go on your imaginary record is that FFVI is the best game ever. (staying on topic!)

Bolivar
03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
I have to say no. of the first 6 games, VI has a lot of advantages in that the team started the project with alot of knowledge on how to do what they were doing.

But I don't really like its character development. gameplay and storywise. I gotta agree with the poster that this game def makes clone characters.. The only real mechanism the player has to customize/develop his/her characters is espers. despite a few augmenting statistics, their only purpose is to teach spells when certain classes in FF traditionally don't use spells. But in this game, you might as well teach everyone curaga/arise/flare/ultima/agas etc if you're training anyway. The story for each character really falls off in the WoR, as while you're getting back each character, the game really does not take into effect who's in the party, it might as well be anybody, the storytelling and character interaction just wasn't good.

The second is reason is that everything that was good about this game was made better in the sequels. Music went from MIDIs to...whatever they went to. Much more attention was paid to storyline and character involvement. gameplay and development became more complex and allowed the gamer to have more input on the characters. longer plots and more sidequests. I can get everything from all the sidequests and beat FFVI in about the same amount of time it takes to beat FFVII on a speed-play through and ignoring sidequests.

Maybe it's the best of the first VI, but I would probably still put one or a few of them over it.

Avarice-ness
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I have to say no. of the first 6 games, VI has a lot of advantages in that the team started the project with alot of knowledge on how to do what they were doing.

But I don't really like its character development. gameplay and storywise. I gotta agree with the poster that this game def makes clone characters.. The only real mechanism the player has to customize/develop his/her characters is espers. despite a few augmenting statistics, their only purpose is to teach spells when certain classes in FF traditionally don't use spells. But in this game, you might as well teach everyone curaga/arise/flare/ultima/agas etc if you're training anyway. The story for each character really falls off in the WoR, as while you're getting back each character, the game really does not take into effect who's in the party, it might as well be anybody, the storytelling and character interaction just wasn't good.

For the Bolded:I think it's like that for -all- games once the villian gets the upper hand. The World of Ruin basically gave you the ability to do what you want with no actual time line involved, which is really when I have the most fun. xD In FFVII I'm pretty sure if there was a timeline, everything would have been dead because I spent a good 30+ HOURS at Golden Saucer being all "Crater? Sephiroth WHo? BAH! OMG MY CHOCOBO'S WINNING! YEAH!!! =D!" At this point I'm pretty sure if I played like FFVII again I'd just stop when I have almost pure freedom. Who cares about killing the villain! I CAN GAMBLE! Same goes with almost every other game I play, in Zelda, the game is one once I can fish! I tend to rebel against story lines and how they are forced though.

For the italic: I don't believe that is true it's right before the final boss, you know it the game knows it, It's pointless to add on random stories when you know the games about to end. I like how in the entire game the game itself hase very few set characters, you get the experience of having a conversation isn't basically force fed to you. There are times when going to Zozo I get Edgar and Sabin, go to the castle, GO BACK to Narshe, get Celes and Locke, for the pure reason of I like Edgar and Sabins thing, and I'm a total Celes/Locke/Rachel fan. It's not like how in some other FFIV games they'll force feed you a chara, and you -know- somethings going to be going on with them, but then it could just be some stupid conversation that has no real relevance to the game. It makes the game (from the people aspect) seem more real, and less scripted due to the fact of alot of things are only triggered by a certain combo of party members.

But then again I loved Chrono Trigger for that reason, so maybe I'm just weird. :razz:

darksword12
03-31-2007, 10:10 PM
I'd have to say no. I'm not super-fond of the way the characters develop (stat-wise). If Cactuars were more common, I'd like it much, much more.

I think I almost drove Cactuars to extinction once...

forgotten_fantasy
04-06-2007, 11:56 AM
NO because 9 and 10 for me are better, but 6 is still good better than 7.
Just the way it goes. Maybe 6 had the best characters (maybe)

bipper
04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I think FFVI is the best because I like it better than the other ones, duh!

Pike
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
My thoughts: (long XD)

I love both FFVI and FFVII dearly. When asked to pick a favorite Final Fantasy game I usually sit and waffle between these two and then finally declare it a tie (FFIV comes in third place, by the way). If really pressed I'll usually pick FFVI over FFVII, if only because I prefer the charm of sprite-based games over the more technical excellence (or, in the case of FFVII, sharp pointy angles :tongue: ) of polygon based ones.

Kefka is clearly the better villain to me (I'd go so far as to say the best villain in video games, period, which is saying a lot) and the music in FFVI is also better. FFVII has some great tunes as well but FFVI has the opera. Insti-pwned. I'll also say FFVI has the better story but I'm basing this off of my own personal experience: FFVI I couldn't put down, whereas FFVII I played at a much slower pace because it seemed to lag at times.

But, FFVI was not as perfect as a lot of people say it was. There were a lot of things about it that irritated me. One of them was the frequency of random battles. That might sound petty or something but man. I almost quit playing the game because of freaking Zozo. Sitting there trying to solve a puzzle and figure things out but you can't get in the right mindset to do so because you're being attacked every three seconds... not my idea of a fun time at all. I guess you could say "That's RPGs for you", maybe it's why I'm not a huge fan of RPGs to begin with, I dunno.

It's been mentioned that the characters are all rather similar stat-wise and there's not a whole lot of customization, which I agree with, but to be honest the only RPGs I've played where there's really a lot of tangible differences between the characters are the Pokemon games, so... =P

As far as character development and story are concerned, I dunno, I really liked it overall. I agree that stuff kind of got awkward once you hit the World of Ruin bit, but not enough to deter my interest in it at all. I enjoyed going around from town to town, gathering my party back together. It all seemed to fit together fairly nicely to me, even if it could have been improved.

I loved the characters in this game a lot, but if given the choice between the characters here and the characters in FFVII, again, I'd be torn. They both had great characters in my opinion. And Cloud/Aerith will always be my OTP but Locke/Celes comes really close :tongue:

Anyways now that I've turned this post into a book, I guess what I'm trying to say is: Yes, if it comes down to it, FFVI is indeed my favorite. Is it the best Final Fantasy? Maybe. But to be honest everybody is going to have a different answer, so meh, not a big deal.

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Just doing the main series (no spinoffs or sequesl) I would say FFVI is the best in the series. I don't believe it's perfect but it's few flaws are so minor to me when compared to the good qualities that it just seems stupid to be nitpicky.

FFVI, for me has quite possibly the best cast ever assembled in an RPG. I honestly don't hate anyone and that's good for me. I usually hate 50 to 90% of most RPG casts nowadays. Except for Umaro and Gogo (I consider them "secret" characters anyway:p ) I feel every character really brings something to the story. The fact that the game has such powerful scenes in it without having to resort to anything "flashy" shows how powerful the characters and story really were. Previous FF's have moments as well but not the sheer volume that FFVI has. The game really is an opera...

As for the characters becoming "clones" it really started in FFV and like any game with the "clone" problem. I feel it falls down to the players choice. Yes the option is there but you don't have to do it. Hell, I barely teach magic to half of my party. I aslo feel most of the characters have enough distinctions between them, thanks to their job class abilities, that making them clones is impossible unless you resort to using magic alone.

The game is a little too easy for my taste but most people act like it's FFVIII bad when it really isn't. Maybe by end-game but what post-FFIV FF isn't ridiculously easy by end game?

Now I really don't understand what the hang up with the WoR is. I really don't feel like anything else needed to be said after the world was destroyed. and I thank god the game doesn't place you on a smurfing "rail" on how to do everything. I like "freedom" in my games. I also love when my games act like games and not interactive movies (Looks menacingly at FFX :mad: ). So the abilitry to "choose" how to go about the story is a plus for me. I feel the WoR is more about the characters finding closure storywise.

psyniac_123
04-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Me and girlfriend got a company off a friend not long ago but it was lost until last week and so we're blasting through it currentely.
But I have to say... WOAH. We're at Zozo (coincidence?) at the story is great and the characters more so.
THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS LOVE. Gau's Leap and Rage? My GOD ^.^

Markus. D
04-08-2007, 01:29 AM
I really like it on a story standpoint.

:D

a little to easy gameplay wise though. I'm up to the extra-dungeons :D

Avarice-ness
04-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Me and girlfriend got a company off a friend not long ago but it was lost until last week and so we're blasting through it currentely.
But I have to say... WOAH. We're at Zozo (coincidence?) at the story is great and the characters more so.
THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS LOVE. Gau's Leap and Rage? My GOD ^.^

WELCOME TO ZOZO WE LOVE YOU LONG TIME.
Now you may not leave, please leave your hats and relics at the door and be prepared for the slam dancers to give you some burning love, you may not be willing now, but you will accept it all in time. *nods*

... This isn't a cult, all you shoo.

I like how there's cults in this game (NO I DO -NOT- CONSIDER SEPHIROTHS PEOPLE A CULT, They were all -made- to basically be geneticly drawn to sephiroth, Kefka started his own and they all joined because, YOU -KNOW- WHEN YOU HAVE A CLOWN OVERLORD, You better get on his cult. *nod*) Zozo's apparently culty, what's the chance of finding a town full of -just- liars? and then find people who are like "OMG I'M SO GLAD TO BE FREE", which I hope you know he was lying.

Everyonce in a while we have a "what's true what's not true" day to teach the kids how things work!

TRUE

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/liesandslander.gif

FALSE

Ohhhhh I love FFVI. :love:

LoKuS
04-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm moving to Zozo next winter.

JackNapier
04-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Excellent choice, I mean, Zozo made FF6 even better! Along with the awesomeness of Kefka that is.

Zora
04-09-2007, 05:00 AM

Excellent choice, I mean, Zozo made FF6 even better! Along with the awesomeness of Kefka that is.

QFT

*Ya, I am alive*

Anyways as for the villian issue that came up, there can't be one best villian. However one thing I would like to comment is that Sephiroth gets most of his fanbase by those people who fell in love with FFVII (mainly fangirls and fanboys as they are refered to) with a the few people who like Sephiroth for who he actually was. I mean if he was as ugly as sin no one would like him.

Kefka on the other hand got all of his support simply for being who he was. And that IMO is something that is definitly worth mentioning.

Anyways IMO FFVI is the best next to FFV (I still have yet to play FFVII, IX, and XI). There is little reason for me to eloborate on beforementioned information told by members above.

Oh ya, here is a statement that can't be true:

"I moved from Zozo"

Since I *come* from Zozo I must be lying, but since I am lying I didn't come from Zozo but then I am telling the truth, but if I am telling the truth I am lying, and I can't be telling the truth AND lying and well you get it.

JackNapier
04-09-2007, 05:10 AM

"I moved from Zozo"

Since I *come* from Zozo I must be lying, but since I am lying I didn't come from Zozo but then I am telling the truth, but if I am telling the truth I am lying, and I can't be telling the truth AND lying and well you get it.

Residents of Zozo are crafty like that. Best city of all the FF games IMO.

Avarice-ness
04-09-2007, 05:12 AM

"I moved from Zozo"

Yeah isn't life grand like that? REALLY IN THE END NO ONE LIVES IN ZOZO, it's just a figment of your imagination, but since -I'm- saying that, it's not, but it is!

It's more so your choice to pick and chose what are the truths and the lies in the entire statement. :razz:

Dr. Acula
04-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Zozo is my fave city in the game. Such nice people.:D
FF6 is my 2nd favourite game in the FF series, after FF7. Kefka was an awesome villian, the characters were all pretty entertaining (except Locke, who just got on my nerves, but I think that's just because he was my brother's favourite character), and, most importantly of all, the game was fun. Very fun indeed.
Maybe one day I'll get FF9. Most FF6 lovers like it too.

bipper
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Zozo is ok. I would have to vote on thamasa, Narshe, or South Figaro though.

I do like the variety of towns they have in this game. Truly remarkable.

Reles
04-10-2007, 05:13 AM
I second that second that FF9 is second best. Yes 6 is my favorite. I like it because it focuses on several characters rather than one, all of the characters were likeable, not to mention the story line kept me interested. And of course, above all it was the most entertaining Final Fantasy ever. Same reason as to why I like 9, oh god that was a fun game.

My main reasons for liking FF6 is probably because of A.) Celes opera scene B.) The final battle was superb and the final dungeon was awesomely fun. C.) Oh and the hilarious how Terra was conceived part where Madonna and Maduin dance around shiny stars aka had sex.

sockmonkey
04-15-2007, 07:01 AM
FFVI was my first FF and you always love your first.

Sephiroth was interesting and a pretty good character but I think they went a bit overboard on the whole "cool gothy mysterious but-kicking villan" thing.

With Kefka coolness wasn't an issue, he just plain didn't give a crap and acted accordingly.
I don't really see him as totally evil so much as totally gopher-tossing crazy.

I do think love plays as big a part in FFVI as all the others, just in the opposite way.

Locke, Cyan, and Setzer all lost their loves in one way or another.
Strago apparently did too at some point in the past since he is a grandfather but we never see his wife anywhere.

Terra and Celes never really considered the possibility of it untill now and are struggling to get a clue about it.

Edgar's apparent womanizing suggests that between running a kingdom, secretly working with the returners, and designing machines, he hasn't had any time for love, just quick flings.

It's the lack or loss of love in FFVI that makes it a significant part of the story.

Pike
04-15-2007, 02:55 PM
C.) Oh and the hilarious how Terra was conceived part where Madonna and Maduin dance around shiny stars aka had sex.

That always made me laugh so hard. "How will we ever know if we can be together... unless we try it for ourselves...?" or whatever, followed by sparkly stars and them twirling around... oh man.

sockmonkey
04-16-2007, 12:39 AM
It was meant to be *symbolic* for cryin' out loud.:rolleyes2

Auragaea
04-16-2007, 01:18 AM
FFVI is my second least favorite FF, but if I were to rate the best FFs, this would be in the mid-low section. The story is solid for the first half of the game, but falls flat at the second part. The characters seem interesting at first, but later get no decent development, with the exception of Celes, unless you do sidequests to recruit those characters again (which wasn't really smart on SE's part because unless you do those sidequests, the majority of the characters would've been flat and boring). The battle system is weak because once you get Espers (and some characters like Sabin, Cyan, Edgar), the Attack command becomes useless; not to mention that once higher leveled spells are learned, any character can be used without consideration to their special abilities (except Umaro, but he's retarded).

The music was outstanding, as well as the character graphics, but those were the only things I liked about the game. Speaking of graphics, FFVI's enviromental graphics were really bland and boring and a step back from FFV's vivid and colorful enviroment. Also, the replay value for this game was non-existent as there were few sidequests that could've all been completed in one playthrough. In fact, the only reason for me to have played FFVI twice was because of Shadow's sixth dream. The game had many faults, and its pros weren't good enough for it to be amongst my favorite FFs ever.

Avarice-ness
04-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I don't agree with the replay value thing, I just discovered the extra scene with Edgar and Sabin at Figaro castle about 6 months ago, but then again, I play games like they used to be played, no guides, and no outsiders input, if it wasn't for me accidently switching Locke with Sabin then realizing I did it, but was to lazy to turn back, I wouldn't have noticed the scene.

And even though I play the game alot, I'm pretty sure I've missed bunches. I replay the game everychance I get. <3

Takara
04-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Strago apparently did too at some point in the past since he is a grandfather but we never see his wife anywhere.

Well, if you want to be technical, Relm isn't really Strago's granddaughter. It is stated in the game that she is the daughter of a friend of his (Relm's mother) that he adopted. I guess that due to the difference of age, it was more natural for Relm to consider him her grandfather.

Although it doesn't exclude the possibility that Strago might have had a significant other at some point in his life...

animegod
04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
oh believe me I totally disagree.It was just that I had only read the first post made.and I never said it was "the best" I said it was okay
Your looking at an ff7 fanboy.And as we speak, FF3 remake is still better than the FFV one

Jowy
04-19-2007, 03:25 PM
/kick #eoff animegod FFVI is better than you are.

^_^

Neo-Omega Mk XXV
04-19-2007, 03:29 PM

FF1 was my first FF and I don't love it :).

Anyway, FF6 is my favorite of the first 6 entries, but it's not as good as 7, 8 and 12.

Holy Lancer
04-25-2007, 04:45 AM

That isn't always true. But if you didn't love your first FF why would you keep playing them? FF10 was my first and I love it even though it isn't my favorite.

animegod
04-25-2007, 03:11 PM
This thread is overrun with punk ass FFVI fanboys....GTFO ff7 is better ^^

Klaz
04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
This thread is overrun with punk ass FFVI fanboys....GTFO ff7 is better ^^

Ahem... You do realize that FF7 is just a bunch of anime cliches mixed with a bunch of Final Fantasy cliches, right? Oh well, I prefer Final Fantasy V, but Final Fantasy VI is truly one of the bests in the series.

Jowy
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Explaining logic to animegod is like hitting yourself in the crotch with a sledgehammer. 8-)

Bolivar
04-26-2007, 08:49 PM
i think the main reason i dont think VI is the best is because i didn't play it when i was 8 years old.

that being said, i found kefka to be pretty lame. as an antagonist, and as a final boss. easier than Vayne, and that's saying alot.

Klaz
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, Final Fantasy V and VI are actually the lasts ones I played, from V, only the Advance version.

Wolf Kanno
04-28-2007, 07:11 AM
i think the main reason i dont think VI is the best is because i didn't play it when i was 8 years old.

that being said, i found kefka to be pretty lame. as an antagonist, and as a final boss. easier than Vayne, and that's saying alot.

Odd... I played VI when I was much older than 8 (like 14) and I still feel that Kefka was a wonderful antagonsit on the basis that he was unique. ;) He was likable and funny. Yet at the same time he was cruel and maliscious. He was also a consistant antagonist which is more than can be said about most of the FF villains. But we each have our own point of view.

I personally feel a villain that makes you like him before he bares his fangs is far more compelling than a traditional "he is the villain" type character that most RPG's are plagued with.

Avarice-ness
04-28-2007, 07:36 AM

I was 9 when it came out and I can easily say I did -not- get far in gameplay.

Vargas was my horrible road block for a really long time. For me at the age, I could play MK3 or Street fighter better than I could FFVI, I wasn't able to appreciate it till much later in life.

Although I have a cassette tape I recorded on my TALK GIRL of Kefka's theme, like right after Edgars castle and before the fight. 'Cause you know, I've been a crazy Kefka groupie even when I didn't know what loving a person was! But then I was all "I don't like this song. :(" when the caves theme showed up. I was the best kid ever. :heart:

(CECIL120X
05-02-2007, 12:03 AM
yes cmon it has most things that Final Fantasy 1-6 have and the baddest Boss ever:p

Bolivar
05-05-2007, 12:31 AM

Odd... I played VI when I was much older than 8 (like 14) and I still feel that Kefka was a wonderful antagonsit on the basis that he was unique. ;) He was likable and funny. Yet at the same time he was cruel and maliscious. He was also a consistant antagonist which is more than can be said about most of the FF villains. But we each have our own point of view.

I personally feel a villain that makes you like him before he bares his fangs is far more compelling than a traditional "he is the villain" type character that most RPG's are plagued with.

i'm being a little sarcastic. but you're right, we each have our own opinion and i respect those who think VI is the best just like I wish the Zozoans would respect the opinion of those who think VII/VIII is the best.

Kefka_Almighty
05-05-2007, 03:03 AM
The first FF game I ever played was FF VII, and I loved it. Dearly. IT was one of the things that really got me back into RPGs. But then, a few months after beating it, I picked up a copy of FF III from a Funcoland (remember those, before Gamestop became the unstoppable corporate giant it's evolved into?). And, to my surprise, I found that I thought FF VI , though older, was superior to FF VII. While FF VII was the delicious, flaky pie crust of the series, FF VI was the sweet, sweet carmalized apple filling. I'm assuming FF IX would be the whip cream or something, while VIII would be the piece you dropped on the floor but still try to eat, but those are different stories altogether.

Really, the thing I loved so much was how easily each character class was basically focused around a different character, allowing you to specific characters suited to a specific job, thus each fulfilling a role. While I do think that they could slightly be clones of each other statwise, I don't feel the fell into the trap of being completely the same ability wise except for Limit Breaks, such as FF VII (though I think the Materia did have some advantages).

I also loved Kefka to bits. I was about 13 at the time of playing these games, so maybe I should have found more interest in Sephiroth, but really, I just ended up liking Kefka more. While Sephiroth was definantely a cool villain, I don't think he was a GOOD villain, if that makes any sense. Kefka, however, was simply a badass. I found him a much better villain, honestly.

Really, my top three personal favorites would have to be

FF VI
FF IX
FF VII

JonyH
05-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Not my top: V is for me. Still can't quite explain why exactly - everything just works.

However, VI kicks ass (I find most FFs do) I LOVED the opera, Ultros, Zozo (esp. for the music, man that went round my head every day for at least a month), the esper system, the HUGE amount of sidequests, and Kefka was damn funny.

The only real downsides are the sudden accumulation of extra characters towards the end. I found it a bit odd. Also the last boss was very easy (but then all FF final bosses I've found easy except for Ex-death and Zeromus). That's pretty much it though. All in all a damn good game, well worth playing - and I've only mentioned my TOP favourtie things about the game! :D

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2007, 03:50 AM

i'm being a little sarcastic. but you're right, we each have our own opinion and i respect those who think VI is the best just like I wish the Zozoans would respect the opinion of those who think VII/VIII is the best.

It's just not in my nature to let a comment like that slide;)

Fandom is pretty annoying no matter which way you go about it. My pet peeve usually comes from baseless comparisons of games, which is why I've had issues with the certain fanbases for years...

Bolivar
05-24-2007, 06:10 PM

Fandom is pretty annoying no matter which way you go about it. My pet peeve usually comes from baseless comparisons of games, which is why I've had issues with the certain fanbases for years...

yeah i know. :cool:

As far as fandom, I don't let it change my opinion about a game, even though VI is rediculously overhyped for what it is.

Wolf Kanno
05-25-2007, 09:27 AM

yeah i know. :cool:

As far as fandom, I don't let it change my opinion about a game, even though VI is rediculously overhyped for what it is.

Yes that is very true, but like VII and X as well, all three games have major good qualities of why all three are popular.

Someday we will all learn to get along, just as soon as we have world peace and hell freezes over... ;)

Brennan
05-31-2007, 04:09 PM
To me, this is the best FF.
The grafics were awesome, the sondtrack was awesome the battle system was awesome, everything was awesome!
I'd give this game a 10/10.

darksword12
06-09-2007, 06:04 PM
No. This was one of my least favorites. It's not a bad game, but the Esper system requires way too much work for me to seriously enjoy the game.

Of course, this is from an overleveler's perspective: by the time I was done, everybody knew the following spells:

Cure, Cure2, Cure3, Life, Life2, Life3, Haste, Haste2, Fire 1-3, Bolt 1-3, Ice 1-3, Flare, Holy, Ultima, Vanish, Doom, X-zone

And nearly everything else. So I kind of overdid it on magic. I bet the cactuars still have nightmares about me.

Avarice-ness
06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
No. This was one of my least favorites. It's not a bad game, but the Esper system requires way too much work for me to seriously enjoy the game.

So what game -was- your favorite, 'cause to me this was one of the most simple 'complicated' summon system. xD Half the time I'd forget to equip materia, I don't even remember 8 or 9's and 10.. well.. 10 was just bad anyways. xD

blackmage_nuke
06-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Because you get to throw cards at people and kill them with dice.

Hayabusa
06-10-2007, 08:12 PM
If Sephiroth had a legitimate reason for his evil, he'd be totally AWESOME, but he doesn't.

That's why I liked him, cuz he did - He was used as a science experiment and drugged and puppetted around pretty much to have justification for his anger and resentment for the world he was born into.

Ishin Ookami
06-12-2007, 05:44 AM
If Sephiroth had a legitimate reason for his evil, he'd be totally AWESOME, but he doesn't.

That's why I liked him, cuz he did - He was used as a science experiment and drugged and puppetted around pretty much to have justification for his anger and resentment for the world he was born into.

Hey, I can understand something like that triggering one hell of an identity crisis, but it's hardly grounds for attempting (and failing, which is why he's pretty far behind in my list of cool FF villains, behind Kefka, Kuja, and Sin) to unleash a global Armageddon.

As to whether FFVI is THE best there is, best there was, best there ever will be... I can't really say. I rank it just as highly as I do FFX (why all the hate? so nomura watched one soft core porn too many while designing the characters, at least the story was great) and FFIX. I just can't bring myself to say it is superior, or inferior to those other FF legends. It would be like my choosing a favorite child.

I will say that man, I love Kefka. He's definitely the coolest FF villain. The opera theme can give me chills to this day, as can so many of the themes. The characters were great, so was the story, and the battle system. It's an all around awesome title.

I don't want to come off as a sakaguchi fanboy, So I will give my respects to FFVII. It's a great title, just not THAT great. and call me petty but I have issues with Nomura's bahamut designs. I mean what is up with his fascination with splicing the king of dragons with a chicken? But yah, FFVII is definitely one of the better of the later generation Final Fantasy titles.

daggertrepe
06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I found it to be too challenging. I like VII and IX better. :)

demondude
06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
FF9 was better just because quina was in it:)

Bashini
06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
FF6 is a decent fairy tale styled game. I do not compare it to the later Final Fantasies because the plots exist in different genres, except FF9 which has the same style. I think I am pretty indifferent to FF6. Mostly I find it predictable, but I expected that in the first ten minutes of game play. It is a nice introduction to rpg's for a pre-adolescent.

licence
06-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't think it's the best. I just can't get right into the game like I can with the later ones and some of the earlier ones. I just don't like the main characters and really don't care what happens to them.

Avarice-ness
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I just don't like the main characters and really don't care what happens to them.

=O!

I HAVE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS WITH IT COMES TO ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH LOCKE, RACHEL, AND CELES!
Insensitive little man! :cry:

bipper
06-13-2007, 06:29 PM
I HAVE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS

QFMFT!