PDA

View Full Version : Learning Salsa / Ballroom dancing

Peegee
03-26-2007, 11:19 AM
My friend has been telling me about Salsa lesson for a while now -- always telling me that I have to learn it because it's the easiest way to impress a girl the first time you meet, etc etc. I never bothered to because...ugh it's salsa and ballroom dancing. My parents do that sort of junk, not me.

Then Saturday I end up going to a party where virtually every song was Salsa for the entire night. Groan.

HOWEVER at the same time this type of event (Salsa/Ballroom) doesn't happen often enough so if I did learn it, I would never be able to practice it! What do I do, what do I do?

DeStyle
03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
You search the internet for a video-lessons in Salsa
from a slim Brazillian lady with unnaturally white teeth.

Bunny
03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Learn to break dance.

Peegee
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Learn to break dance.

I already can.

I'm talking about salsa / ballroom because it's the exact opposite -- slow, boring, requires specific movements...ugh.

Bunny
03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Okay, well then.

Do you actually care to impress ladies? Or can you pretty much already do that? Because if you don't want to or can already, what is the point of it? Plus, you don't want to learn it.

The obvious answer is not to learn it.

Peegee
03-26-2007, 04:30 PM
The problem obviously is that if I wanted to impress ladies using dancing (and if they were to frigging play some frigging club anthems I could), I am limited by salsa / ballroom dancing in this case.

So basically I spent the night passed out on my seat, or circle dancing with people. It's not the end of the world, but I just don't like being bested by dancing, of all things.

=)

Araciel
03-26-2007, 09:56 PM
it's not boring.... :P

Dr Unne
03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
I would happily take my own life before even considering learning to ballroom dance. Ballroom dancing is the essence of all that is wrong in this world.

fire_of_avalon
03-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Aww, somebody has two left feet.

It seems to me you're just pissy cause you didn't have an opportunity to bust out the mad skills. Learning other types of dance will afford you with more opportunities for mad skill busting out, but is it really that important to you?

Iceglow
03-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Anyone who thinks that learning ballroom/salsa is girly ought to think from the perspective I had when I used to figure skate...I get to dance with a hawt girl 5 days a week and these losers who think its girly get to dance with one like maybe once a month.......touche

Drift
03-27-2007, 12:02 AM
iDance?

Miriel
03-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Do you know what salsa is? It's a fast paced, intricate, and often sexually charged dance. I dunno where you're getting slow and boring from. And ballroom dance is one of the most popular classes at my University. Everyone and their mom tries to take that class. So I wouldn't assume that ballroom is boring either.

In any case, I might be impressed if someone was a great salsa or ballroom dancer, but it wouldn't make me feel the least bit attracted to them.

I've taken salsa dance classes before and it was super fun. Really... invigorating.

Anyway, if you really want to impress the ladies, I think you're better off with the hip hop style of dance.

Shlup
03-27-2007, 08:26 PM
PG, you are so weird...

You are not allowed to salsa. You are entirely too azn. Go back to robot dancing.

Big D
03-28-2007, 12:14 PM
It's fairly easy to practice basic ballroom steps without a partner. Waltz, foxtrot and the like - going through the motions isn't so hard.