PDA

View Full Version : Die windows die

Moon Rabbits
03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't know when it started happening, but all of the graphics on my computer are messed :(

Any window I have currently selected has no title, the windows "Start" button is very very small so that only the windows logo is visible, on MSN I can't see my name at the top of my contact list, etc.

Help?

Mirage
03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
You should say "Die graphics driver, die" instead. Not MS' fault others can't write good code :p.

Try updating or reinstalling your graphics drivers.

Moon Rabbits
03-26-2007, 09:47 PM
True, it's probably the fault of my graphics drivers.

But I have an ATIRAGE card, and they don't make drivers for that anymore, and I have the latest one installed all fine.

crono_logical
03-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Reinstall Windows :p

Sounds like missing fonts or it's trying to use a bad font for the titlebars to me :p You could try logging on as someone else or create a new user account and see if the same happens in there or not to confirm if it's just your settings or really a Windows problem :p

Mirage
03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't know if it's even possible to delete the font the system is using, seeing as the file would be in use.

Discord
03-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't know if it's even possible to delete the font the system is using, seeing as the file would be in use.

You can. Don't ask how, but it happened to me once. Well, it didn't delete it, just changed it slightly, which, theoretically, shouldn't have worked either. :( Hmm... You could actually do that if you crash explorer and implement it before it restarts, using a 3rd party program. That's how I've fixed it.

Otherways, no idea how to help you there really other than reinstalling the whole system.

Flying Mullet
03-27-2007, 01:07 PM
What resolution do you have your monitor set at? It sounds like you might have the resolution set higher than the monitor can support, thus it can't display your entire screen at once. Try changing your resolution to a lower setting and see what happens.

Discord
03-27-2007, 01:11 PM
What resolution do you have your monitor set at? It sounds like you might have the resolution set higher than the monitor can support, thus it can't display your entire screen at once. Try changing your resolution to a lower setting and see what happens.

I was thinking about that too, but you'd still see the fonts. At least you'd see someything resembling them.

Mirage
03-27-2007, 02:11 PM

You can. Don't ask how, but it happened to me once. Well, it didn't delete it, just changed it slightly, which, theoretically, shouldn't have worked either. :( Hmm... You could actually do that if you crash explorer and implement it before it restarts, using a 3rd party program. That's how I've fixed it.

Otherways, no idea how to help you there really other than reinstalling the whole system.
I suppose, but that would take conscious effort, I'd say. I would have had a hard time doing that by accident.

Discord
03-27-2007, 05:02 PM

I suppose, but that would take conscious effort, I'd say. I would have had a hard time doing that by accident.

Quality software can do that pretty well. Mind you, I've ordered Oblivion from Taiwan (nothing illegal here) cause it was cheaper there and that changed my system fonts. Had to fix it manually. :shoot:

crono_logical
03-28-2007, 02:14 AM
You (or a dodgy program) can delete system files on next reboot by setting appropriate entries in the registry, much like an installer/uninstaller will do if it needs a reboot to finish doing whatever it needs to do because files are in use :p

Moon Rabbits
03-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Oy! Problem fixed after reboot. I think it was because I was fiddling around with my display using C++ and Allegro.

Discord
03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Oy! Problem fixed after reboot. I think it was because I was fiddling around with my display using C++ and Allegro.

Eh... uh... um... you didn't try the reboot before posting here?
That's cool;)