PDA

View Full Version : Norman Antivirus problem

Levian
03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm asking for a girl that I live with. Here's the dealio:

She downloaded Norman Antivirus from a secure internet page, it was an online bank. Now whenever she turns on her computer it works fine until Norman Antivirus starts up, after that it's impossible to do anything, there's just an hourglass that's just there forever no matter what she tries to do. I've tried to find a way to disable it in the 30 or so seconds I am given before Norman starts up, but I haven't found any uninstall links or anything. I'm gonna try to fiddle around some more with it, but I thought posting this here wouldn't really hurt. :monster:

Would it be possible to disable it by clicking ctrlaltdelete, maybe? Any other ideas? :mog:

Moon Rabbits
03-27-2007, 12:06 AM
ctrlaltdel was my first idea. Other than that, try these:

Boot in Safe Mode
Boot in command line and delete/uninstall from there.

MecaKane
03-27-2007, 12:28 AM
<i>'Norman'</i> Antivirus sounds like an incredibly shady name to me. :eek:

Roto13
03-27-2007, 01:14 AM
I bought it at Wel-Mart, along with some Levus Jeans and a Nentindo Wi. Bootleg? What?

ValiantKnight
03-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Sounds similar to the computer my aunt has.

Low ram machine and infested horribly with spyware, would get about 30seconds of being able to do anything then it was just frozen, ctrl alt delete wouldnt work, alt f4 wouldnt work, nada..

Safe mode wouldn't boot either after waiting for it for 5-10min.

Ultimately we just reformatted that box....
You have another computer you can hook up to that one remotely or throw that hard drive in a working good computer and scan it?

Norman antivirus does sound shady, yes.

Moon Rabbits
03-27-2007, 03:53 AM
Roto/Smartass:

http://www.norman.com/

I assume it is popular in <s>Bizzaro Land</s> Europe because it says so on the website.

Baloki
03-27-2007, 08:22 AM
While the system is starting up and you see the windows logo tap the Windows key or F8 a few times to get the option to boot into Safe Mode. From here you want to uninstall it and run a program called msconfig (Start > run > type 'msconfig' > enter) to disable anything that looks like Norman from starting up.

Restart and download/install something else like Avast!

Discord
03-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Roto/Smartass:

I assume it is popular in <s>Bizzaro Land</s> Europe because it says so on the website.

Europe on this end. Never heard a thing about it. People like Antivir and co. here. It's a good one too though. You get an icon on the tasktray and you think it's doing something. You feel safer. End of story.

EDIT: And after you get rid of it run something like Dr. Web to make sure that it didn't leave any doors open.

EDIT2:
For the third time in a row Norman has been awarded best company within Internet security in the Netherlands.
Does that mean the best internet security company based in Netherlands? That doesn't really sound like a tremendous achievement to me, providing that it's probably the only one with a website as well.

Roto13
03-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Roto/Smartass:

It doesn't exist. You made it up.

Levian
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the help all, I ran it in safe mode and deleted Norman, and now it's working again, and she loves me. It's like FFVII only with Norman instead of Sephiroth.

Discord
03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the help all, I ran it in safe mode and deleted Norman, and now it's working again, and she loves me. It's like FFVII only with Norman instead of Sephiroth.

*collapse in giggles*

But yeah, Norman does sound evil.