PDA

View Full Version : would you buy it?

Araciel
03-27-2007, 02:07 AM
just a thought i had because i'm so annoyed with split-screen multiplayer games...

a console that has a screen built-in, like a laptop, that plugs into a TV...so you have two screens outta the box

i'm thinking it would basically turn into a portably type system, and you'd have people griping when some games NEED the 2 screens to be played, such as an RPG with the menu on the console screen and the game on the tv...

but i would think it's a pretty good idea

it reminds me of the GC/gameboy advance thing, which was never really used that much.

Slothy
03-27-2007, 11:48 AM
No, I wouldn't buy it. It would be a rather pointless thing quite frankly. It would make no sense to me for single player since you'd essentially have to look between two screens to get different information when a menu screen for example is just as effective and less distracting. It'd have some uses, but they'd be limited, and not likely to enhance gameplay that much. So basically you'd be paying extra to have a crappy screen so you don't have to share a screen with friends, which isn't even that bad on a TV 20" or larger (not ideal, but at least it's useable). At least the DS has the benefit of using a touch screen to enhance gameplay in some cases. I'd say this would be a rather pointless gimmick.

JKTrix
03-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't buy it either. It's not quite as practical as you'd imagine I think. Having one screen on the console means you have to have the console in a position where you can see the screen. Unless you're the type who normally plays with his Playstation at his feet, most people won't find the space or spend the time moving the console to that position whenever they want to play.

You mentioned the GBA-GC thing. The DS will be doing that with the Wii as well (first game is Pokemon), and the PSP can interact with the PS3 as well. I remember seeing some racing game where you use the PSP like a rear-view mirror. Portables-as-an-extra-screen work since you can move them wherever you want as opposed to having to move a larger console with a screen around to an optimal position.

A game would need to have a good hook for there to be an extra external screen. Just using it as a menu selector is like using the 2nd DS screen as just a map. Convenient, but not neccessary.