PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever told a white lie?

Diango12
03-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I think we all told our share of white lies, the real question is how do you feel about it. Are they acceptable?

For example.

Today a friend of mine was going to cook something "special" for me, oh and yeah I was pretty excited! Apparently she's been reading up on some exotic cook books and was enthusiastic about testing her new found cooking prowess; me being "always ready to try something new" couldn’t say no. After a nice good wait I was treated to a three-course meal involving a suspicious tomato sauce, a treacherous looking onion covered fish, and a shady casserole, which I never trusted from the beginning.

In any case I tired each one and after three bites from each of the meals I was ready to curl up and die. When she asked me "so what was it like?" I was already in need of CPR. Now usually I would get into a tempered bad mood but strangely I couldn’t get pissed off if I wanted to and instead wanted her to be happy with what she's done so I replied "yeah that’s pretty tasty, your good!" >_<. Of course afterwards there was no way I was going to eat any of that! So after a few awkward exchanges I was off home and my promised "Ice cream treat" wasn’t delivered on!

Riana
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh deary me. You really should have been honest with her, as she may cook the same thing again for...I don't know...a future potential boyfriend? She'll lose him that way. The only way she'll learn is to be told how it is and if not she'll improve.

I've never told a white lie. I don't lie at all. Deception is bad.

Garnie
03-27-2007, 11:36 AM
AS LONG AS ITS WHITE IT COULD SAVE THE PLANET. IF YOU TOLD A BLACK LIE THEN WE WILL ALL DIE FROM METEOR
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Peegee
03-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I tell bold faced lies all the time. I hope people know I'm not one to care whether I lie or tell the truth....

Oh well.

In your situation I would've told the truth if only in a less awkward and direct manner. However personally I hate telling half-truths and I suck at them.

Martyr
03-27-2007, 12:28 PM
A white lie is a condemning sin.

ljkkjlcm9
03-27-2007, 12:41 PM
depends, sometimes it's alright, and sometimes the other person knows and you're just saying it to make them feel better... such as someone getting a black eye, and saying, "Does it look bad?" Oh... it's not that bad. You both know otherwise, but you're just being nice.

THE JACKEL

Bunny
03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh deary me. You really should have been honest with her, as she may cook the same thing again for...I don't know...a future potential boyfriend? She'll lose him that way. The only way she'll learn is to be told how it is and if not she'll improve.

Nobody is that honest. Sorry.

The Mog Ninja
03-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't lie, whether it's from going up to a jerk and saying they should get friends, or saying that someone's hair looks better behind their shoulders rather than in front. But if it isn't in between them, depending on the situation I may lie. If you really want to know like you all do just ask what I mean by that.

Unknown Light
03-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't lie I just don't tell the them the whole thing! =)

ReloadPsi
03-27-2007, 02:49 PM
AS LONG AS ITS WHITE IT COULD SAVE THE PLANET. IF YOU TOLD A BLACK LIE THEN WE WILL ALL DIE FROM METEOR
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
XD

I have a firm "No friggin' way" position on lying. I've told some lies in the past, usually just for amusement to see how long it takes people to catch on (I made some friends believe I was from Germany; my surname's scandinavian if you go back twelve generations or so, thus I convinced a few people for a while. It was quite funny.) but other than that I cannot stand lying to people; it tends to gnaw slowly on my conscience. If I do, I have to really hate them.

Besides, you should never, ever, under any circumstances, apologise for being honest; usually a white lie is just telling a person what they want to hear, no?

Mirage
03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
No, never. This isn't a white lie either, just so you know.

rubah
03-27-2007, 03:02 PM
I am telling you a white lie at this moment.

TyphoonThaReapa
03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I am telling you a white lie at this moment.

Second that.

Jowy
03-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm leaving work today for an "eye appointment" and I "should be back around three."

HAH!

Bunny
03-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Why's it gotta be white? Racists.

Avarice-ness
03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
No.

Oh and they're acceptable if the person accepts it as the truth.

Old Manus
03-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Obligatory joke about this post being a lie

TyphoonThaReapa
03-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Why's it gotta be white? Racists.

I'm at fault.

Reles
03-27-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd only lie to someone I cared about.

Like say my gma's dying on the hospital bed and she asks how she looks. You can't just say "Gosh darnit grandma, you look terrible." :(

Araciel
03-27-2007, 04:28 PM
anyone who says they haven't is a liar.

BarelySeeAtAll
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
i am always telling them
though i am changing, and just cos i want the truth from everyone i think everyone else wants to hear the truth...but more often than not they dont want it...idiots
so all in all...i dont feel i can please anyone

theundeadhero
03-27-2007, 04:54 PM
No, you really are beautiful Diango12.

ReloadPsi
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
anyone who says they haven't is a liar.
Very true indeed. People who reckon they never lie and reckon that it would hurt them to do so only say that because, well, they know from experience.

Riana
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Does it hurt to tell the truth? You get more heartache from lying and being lied to.

LoveArya
03-27-2007, 05:11 PM
well....doesnt everyone? yea, i have, ive told a few bold ones too, but im honest 90% of the time.....not lying

black orb
03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
>>> No one believe my stupid lies.. Well, maybe a little child could fall for them..

Bunny
03-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Does it hurt to tell the truth? You get more heartache from lying and being lied to.

You're lying to yourself by saying that you've never lied. Which is just as bad, if not worse, as lying to another person. Everyone lies at one point in their lifetime, no matter how saintly or honest they think they are.

Riana
03-27-2007, 08:04 PM
You're lying to yourself by saying that you've never lied. Which is just as bad, if not worse, as lying to another person. Everyone lies at one point in their lifetime, no matter how saintly or honest they think they are.

Not really. As far as I know I've always told the truth. I was raised that way. I hate deception so I wouldn't do it myself. That's how I feel. So sorry to disappoint you but I don't tell lies.

Raebus
03-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Riana: Impossible, everyone lies eventually.

As for me, I'm not perfect so I've told my fair share of lies now and again.

Riana
03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Riana: Impossible, everyone lies eventually.

As for me, I'm not perfect so I've told my fair share of lies now and again.

That's fair enough, I'm not saying I'm perfect either, but explain to me how it's impossible to not lie?

Let me rephrase myself. I do not recall lying. Does that make more sense?

yanis
03-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Is it so weird just telling the truth all the time?...I'm not lying!!! Sometimes I'm telling the half truth...not lying, just not telling everything...:D

kikimm
03-27-2007, 11:29 PM
I probably tell them a lot. Sometimes it's just easier to agree with people. I'm not always in the mood to get into an argument, or try to make someone feel better after I've just insulted what they're wearing or something. Ugh.

Diango12
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM

Your right Riana, I value honesty just as much as you. I don't like lie-ing but sometimes you just can't avoid it and sometimes you shouldn’t take it to seriously. Going to the far extreme to say all manner of deception is bad etc etc is fanaticalisim and we all know how dangerous that is, so sometimes we just gotta lighten up no big deal. :)

Tifa Valentine
03-28-2007, 09:30 PM
You should have told her the truth because now she's going to run to you whenever she feels the inspiration to cook up another disaster. XD Everyone lies but when it comes to food you need to be honest. What if she poisons her grandma? J/K

It's not that serious but you can do little things to lighted the blow like, "I'm sure it's good but I'm really not an onion person or I'm not all that found of casseroles...."

Diango12
03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
You should have told her the truth because now she's going to run to you whenever she feels the inspiration to cook up another disaster.
>_<

Yeah I guess your right, I can't bring it up again now but if she ever asks me again then I will just blantly tell her what I think. In fact this is what I had planned all along there was no way I'm eating any of that again.

Dr Aum
03-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I tell lies of all colors, patterns, species, and phyla. I'm especially fond of paisley lies, especially when served chilled with some lemon zest.

Mirage
03-28-2007, 09:45 PM
If someone cooks me something I don't like, I'm usually honest. I tell them nicely that it wasn't my kind of thing. By lying, you might end up having the dish served to you more than once.

Zeldy
03-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Id have lied in that situation.

The only white lies I say are "Oh your hair looks nice!" when it really looks bad, or to someones outfit which is awful.