PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's cuttin' corners?

Jowy
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/psycho_mantis/1174987130731.jpg

Just saw this on /v/ like...three minutes ago. Anyway, does anyone have valid evidence backing this up? It seems that Nintendo's just kind of half-assed their DS Lite production costs and repeated what they did with the new SP's that came out circa the end of 2005.

JKTrix
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't get it.

Jowy
03-27-2007, 03:00 PM
The bottom screen on the DS Lites produced from March '07 afterwards isn't as sharp and detailed as on the older models.

JKTrix
03-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Those still images don't really show anything. Yeah, the image of Jonathan on the right looks messed up, but that doesn't say much. It just looks like common interlacing. I'd have to see it in motion.

If it is different, perhaps that means that the new DSes are actually sharper, since you can clearly see the interlacing happening.

Erdrick Holmes
03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
While that does kinda look lame I don't think anybody can tell when they play an actual one.

ReloadPsi
03-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah. Once again, this is why I don't buy new consoles because they always get released with faults that the developers say they either aren't gonna fix, or will fix in the next model (in other words, you'll have to buy it again, extorting more money out of you).

I realise the DS Lite isn't new but hey.

Riana
03-27-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm not convinced by that. Just because one DS Lite shows less quality doesn't mean they all will. What if those screenshots just show that it's just one faulty White DS Lite? How do you know the rest aren't as bad?

Yew-Yevon
03-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Those have the man in two different positions so I think its moot point.

Maxico
03-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Those still images don't really show anything. Yeah, the image of Jonathan on the right looks messed up, but that doesn't say much. It just looks like common interlacing. I'd have to see it in motion.

If it is different, perhaps that means that the new DSes are actually sharper, since you can clearly see the interlacing happening.

That makes no kind of sense.
Why would a sprite based engine use interlacing?

Looks like ghosting to me, which would the be fault of the sceen.

Also, probably less a case of Nintendo cutting corners, and more a case of whoever manufactures the sceen's fault.

I dislike it when people generalise.

JKTrix
03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Why wouldn't a sprite based game use interlacing? I don't know all the technical details of how the game was built or what the DS can do, but that's what that image looked like to me.

Like I mentioned, I'd have to see it in motion, or at least some better comparison pics to see if it's ghosting or anything like that.

Maxico
03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Why wouldn't a sprite based game use interlacing? I don't know all the technical details of how the game was built or what the DS can do, but that's what that image looked like to me.

Like I mentioned, I'd have to see it in motion, or at least some better comparison pics to see if it's ghosting or anything like that.

But interlacing would only be used if it was a compressed video, being converted to an NTSC or PAL signal or if they were doing some kind of crazy effect (Although I assume the DS can handle stuff like transparency on it's own at this point).

Considering that this is being displayed on the DS's custom built screen, there is no need for interlacing.