PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Emulation

Discord
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I've asked this a year ago or so, but anyway.

Anybody ever successfully used a PS2 emulator?

JKTrix
03-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Haven't used personally, but have seen reports. Nothing works perfectly (or even practically) yet, but they might be making progress. They've reached a sort of barrier that will be/has been very difficult to pass.

Info from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcsx2).

Discord
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Haven't used personally, but have seen reports. Nothing works perfectly (or even practically) yet, but they might be making progress. They've reached a sort of barrier that will be/has been very difficult to pass.

Info from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcsx2).

Yeah, I've read the wikipedia article. But one thing is them claiming something, the other is you guys saying that you've made it work.^^

ljkkjlcm9
03-28-2007, 02:40 PM
well considering Sony has trouble with their PS2 emulator for the PS3....

THE JACKEL

Discord
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM

THE JACKAL

That's interesting. I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem. They could theoretically have PS3 run two OSes, the PS3 and the PS2 one, if it was totally inevitable to emulate PS2.

You're sure about it?

Slothy
03-28-2007, 07:34 PM

THE JACKAL

That's interesting. I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem. They could theoretically have PS3 run two OSes, the PS3 and the PS2 one, if it was totally inevitable to emulate PS2.

You're sure about it?

We're talking about totally different hardware architecture here. To run a PS2 game on PS3 hardware, you have to emulate. The first PS3's to come out (like mine) essentially built the slimline PS2 hardware into them (which is why the vast majority of games work on them).

And the fact that the PS2 emulators now in PS3's can manage to play over 1,000 games is pretty impressive actually. It may not even be close to all of them, but it's a lot more than I expected with emulation right out of the gate.

Discord
03-29-2007, 02:07 PM

THE JACKAL

You're sure about it?

We're talking about totally different hardware architecture here. To run a PS2 game on PS3 hardware, you have to emulate. The first PS3's to come out (like mine) essentially built the slimline PS2 hardware into them (which is why the vast majority of games work on them).

And the fact that the PS2 emulators now in PS3's can manage to play over 1,000 games is pretty impressive actually. It may not even be close to all of them, but it's a lot more than I expected with emulation right out of the gate.

Ah... I see. I'll admit that I've never read the PS3 specs.:p

Shadowdust
03-31-2007, 06:14 AM
Well as far as PC emulation of a PS2 game is concerned, PCSX2 seems to be showing real promise. I've seen a few select screen shots and movies showing games running at some decent frame rates. Unfortunately, the hardware requirements prevent me from really trying it out myself. It has some sort of issue running with CPUs that only support SSE like the old Athlon XP series.

Mirage
03-31-2007, 06:28 AM
I got to the Konami logo on MGS2 with PCSX2, then it froze. lol.

Shadowdust
03-31-2007, 08:23 AM
I've tried FFX, but I only manage to get to the title screen before I give up. I only get like 1 FPS. xD

Rostum
03-31-2007, 08:52 AM
What kind of computer specs do they expect you to have for PCSX2?

Shadowdust
03-31-2007, 09:08 AM
http://www.ngemu.com/ps2/pcsx2.php

Here's the minimum and recommended specs. A number of months ago, PCSX2's video plugin was made available with a dual-core speed up option. I've heard of a lot of positive results regarding the use of dual-cores in PCSX2.

Either way, the fact is, it'll take a very modern machine to emulate on PCSX2, unless you like running games at a fraction of their rated speed. xD

Discord
03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
The Sims 2 run alright on my machine... until they crash. I've got a dual core and it really grabs all of it. It's weird, but the process itself only eats up 50% of the CPU, the rest is consumed by the SYSTEM task. Any ideas why? (from the first look it sounds like a poor resource management gap in the emulator)

I'm actually waiting for the FFX to be shipped, so that's what all the fuzz is about. I've heard that the game actually run "fairly" well on the PCSX2.