PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Happens when your Hp is 0?

Formalhaut
03-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Do you die or do you faint?

Decide now.

I think you faint, but when all party members faint then they get eaten. (Oh noes Balthier and Penelo!:()

Bunny
03-28-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't know. I've never had a character reach 0 HP.

Captain Maxx Power
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Faint, obviously. I believe the official term is "KO'ed". What's always trouble me is that these people run around in great big groups together, yet if three of them who are fighting all the die, the rest seem to bugger off and leave them, since the game's over.

Darth Anarcus
03-28-2007, 06:17 PM
I chose "something else happens" because gameplay isn't canon. Nothing happens to the actual characters story-wise; your digitized fighter has simply taken a beating and is decommissioned.

Bunny
03-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Faint, obviously. I believe the official term is "KO'ed". What's always trouble me is that these people run around in great big groups together, yet if three of them who are fighting all the die, the rest seem to bugger off and leave them, since the game's over.

I always figure that, usually, the party you are using (and the one that will die if such a case arises) is usually consisting of the strongest characters. As such, if they die, the other members of the group are going to look at is as "Holy crap these guys just kicked the butts of our strongest members! We don't stand a chance let's make like a banana and split."

And then there is splitting.

black orb
03-28-2007, 07:01 PM
>>> You die, faint means you still alive but unable to battle.
A STOP spell would cause something more like a faint status..

Araciel
03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
something else...their soul exits the body and flies around the battlefield screaming 'I EAT ROTTEN POTATOES' till they're revived with a fenix down or lif spell.

Mirage
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
No, a stop spell means you are unable to move, being frozen in time.

For the most of the part, characters are either KOed or "wounded" (which probably means too wounded to participate in battle).

When all your members die, you get game over because the other party members are usually not around. You usually have to enter an airship or another place where the other members hang out, or make a phone call, to change members. With everyone KOed, no one would be able to get there in time, and they would get eaten.

Crossblades
03-28-2007, 09:44 PM
They faint IMO

ljkkjlcm9
03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
They get knocked out/faint/wounded. All the same thing. When it happens to everyone there, there is no time for the other characters to rescue them before being dragged off etc by the enemy/monsters.

THE JACKEL

blackmage_nuke
03-28-2007, 11:07 PM
they run out of health and they lie there concious but not moving

Zombie would be the equivelent of death

black orb
03-28-2007, 11:12 PM
their soul exits the body and flies around the battlefield screaming 'I EAT ROTTEN POTATOES' till they're revived with a fenix down or lif spell.
>>> That means they die and thats exactly what happens in FF games..

>>> The faint/knocked out theory still make no sense, since a dead ally in a FF game is a souless body, thats why there are LIFE spells to revive them and DEATH/DOOM spells to kill them. If they were just knocked out restore their HP would be enough..

Mirage
03-28-2007, 11:14 PM
No, zombies are undead. Get your facts straight :p.

Proper translations of the "life" spells are Raise and Arise :p

PuPu
03-29-2007, 02:09 AM
It would just be fainted, considering that when people like Tellah, Galuf, Leo, Aeris, etc. were killed, they could NOT be revived. That's because they were actually dead, unlike those who get Ko'd in battle.

Tavrobel
03-29-2007, 02:47 AM
They faint, or are unable to battle, that they would actually get killed. Note that battle mechanics are not like overworld mechanics, otherwise they would've just used a Pheonix Down all the time, particularly in FFVII.

The only argument for games where characters DIE in battle, is FFI, IIj (not even), and IIIj, with revivification waters and allies that when dead, are beyond help; this is at best, sketchy. Yet, this would explain why a good night's sleep at an Inn does not cure KO, despite that it cures even HiV and other various main character related STDs in future games.

Life and Full-Life are technicallly Raise and Arise in the traditional Japanese, as mentioned before. Doom is not necessarily death, because doom can mean "this is how you will end up," not "you will definitely die in thirty seconds." I've no explanation for Death, other than that it is a terrible spell with poor accuracy, and rarely, if ever works on bosses. Great concept, but I get the same result with an attack.

Enemies don't necessarily die until the end of the battle, either. Some enemies use the Life spells in order to help their brethren, and certain bosses replicate, versus reviving.

Zeromus_X
03-29-2007, 03:09 AM
You're incapacitated, of course.

Anyway, in seriousness:

"Mommy, why didn't they just use a Phoenix Down on Aeris?"
Don't expect battle mechanics to carry over into the "real world."

Although, in earlier installments of the FF series, a character actually did die when their HP hit zero. I think it was FFIV or around there where it stopped becoming 'death'.

sirMAXX
03-30-2007, 02:58 AM
i think KO'ed would be closest thing i can think of, its like your charater becomes useless (like a toy with its battery pulled out) in all the battles untill you give them something to restore some health.

KentaRawr!
03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Simply because of FF7, I say they are too hurt to fight, and when everyone is too hurt to fight, they're eaten.

Remon
03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
You turn back when you last saved duh :D

Laddy
03-31-2007, 07:53 PM
They faint. Or at least are unable to battle. In FFX, when all characters get KO'ed, you can see the most recently KO'ed glare at the enemy, they also may say a thing or two, so, KO!

Sefie1999AD
03-31-2007, 09:12 PM
I think they're KO'ed (or they faint) in most of the FFs. Characters with 0 HP died in the first few FFs, however, but back then, it was very hard to revive them. For example, in the original FF1 for NES, you could only revive people on clinics/churches or by using Life spells outside battles.

In FFV, it's implied that the characters reaching 0 HP doesn't mean death. When Galuf dies, the party members try to use Cure spells, Life spells and a Phoenix Down on him, but none of them work anymore. In FFT, the characters faint, but if nobody revives them in 3 turns, they die, turning into a crystal and being gone for good.

Tavrobel
03-31-2007, 09:26 PM
When Galuf dies, the party members try to use Cure spells, Life spells and a Phoenix Down on him, but none of them work anymore.

In addition, during the battle, I had Galuf as a Berserker, so all he did was attack. When his HP hit zero, he kept fighting (until ExDeath got his HP reduced to zero), so 0 HP can't mean death, because this also similar to the Zombie status.

Mercen-X
03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
I laugh my ass off reading the posts that claim the character's faint . . . then they continue to write "when a character dies." Incontinuity is very popular these days.

Anyway, pertinent opinion is that you faint. You've sustained such injury that you're incapable of action and thusly are removed from the battle. It's in these cases that I wonder why another character can't come in and help them off the battlefield to take their place . . .

Yeah, usually "revive" items and spells are only used to the same effect as CPR. If they could do any better then Aeris wouldn't be dead now would she? Think before you type, people.

Fantasy Fan
03-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Go back to last save?

DeStyle
04-01-2007, 12:54 AM
I had this friend once...... he palyed too much FF
and then he fainted while he thought his HP reached 0
in a dread.!!!!

HAHA, Do i even need to say??

Zeromus_X
04-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Then again, when Galuf fought X-Death, he did have the whole "the power of emotions will increase my power!" thing going on.

jammi567
04-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I think they just faint. I mean, it's not called a KO for nothing.

Rostum
04-01-2007, 10:42 AM
KO'ed (i.e. fainting).

Phoenix Down's usually have a description in most games, that they are "able to revive a member from a KO'ed status." Plus, if you were able to revive a character from death with a Phoenix Down, then Aeris would be revivable!

feioncastor
04-02-2007, 02:31 AM
My understanding is that 0 HP means the character is so badly injured that he/she/it can no longer fight or even put up any defense from the enemy. If your entire party is at 0 HP, then they are left helpless and defenseless to the enemies, at which point I'd imagine they all get finished off. Or just left to die. Either way, not able to continue on their quest.

Mr.Bogus
04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
At 0HP you lose the game...which means the characters are taken to the monster nest where naughty things happen!

psyniac_123
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Faint, I guess. Ko'ed, wounded (VI), it's all the same. Except in some cases (FFVII's Aerith, FFIV's Tellah, FFV's Galuf), where it is clearly death to the uselessness of Phoenix Downs and spells.

Comet
04-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Faint obviously.

KO = Knock Out

Knock Out = Unconscious

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 02:21 AM
you only die if you're someone like Tellah.

Yliette
04-21-2007, 10:57 AM
I think they faint.

And when Aeris died, they never bothered to give her a Phoenix Down.

Wakka's Bouncy Ball
09-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Plus, if you were able to revive a character from death with a Phoenix Down, then Aeris would be revivable!

But you can revive Aeris! First you have to find Squall, give him Tidus's pants that you stole from him earlier...

Anyway, KO'd. End of discussion.

demondude
09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
KO

ReloadPsi
09-05-2007, 12:13 AM
You fall into a dangerous comatose state, much like a person who's passed out and is gonna need an ambulance before they die. That may be a bit extreme though, after all, just plain ol' "Fainted and will wake up relatively unspoiled in due course" is just as likely, seeing as when all your party is knocked out the monsters can then proceed to eat you, tear you apart or drag you to be sacrificed to the master.

Faint, I guess. Ko'ed, wounded (VI), it's all the same. Except in some cases (FFVII's Aerith, FFIV's Tellah, FFV's Galuf), where it is clearly death to the uselessness of Phoenix Downs and spells.

Yeah, the dialogue in the FFV counterpart is awesome. "No, please!" "Cure 3!" "Phoenix Down!" "Raise!" "Come on, get up!"

09-05-2007, 04:06 AM
I have the answer! Evoking one of my favorite movies, the Princess Bride, I can tell you for certain that

There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. ... Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

0 HP= mostly dead. Tallah=all dead. Mystery solved.

Avarice-ness
09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I say they pass out from lack of energy.

Unless it's WoW, then you DIE at 0hp, your spirit is released and for some reason as a spirit you have 1hp. 'cause you know everyone regains health in death.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
It's off to the morgue