PDA

View Full Version : Reeve' s Parents

chocobo hunter
03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
So I was playing the Wall Market scene again and noticed something strange, that in the lover's room at the Honeybee Inn. Cait Sith music was playing and much to my chagrin a realization struck me. That the old couple in there is really Reeve Tuesti's Parents or at least I think so what do you all think are they really his parents or no?

The Crystal
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Ruvi(Reeve's mother) live "alone" during FFVII, and is taking care of Denzel.

Aralith
03-28-2007, 08:02 PM
How is this Reeve's parents? Can you elaborate on what these people say? Because I'm playing through the game right now, and unfortunatley I'm a little past that part and can't go back and check, so if you could say what these characters said, then it might help... certainly me, if not everyone else who can't be bothered to check that scene right now, come to a conclusion about this matter.

Elly
03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
here is the dialogue from that part of the story:

"...wheez...."
"Phew...."
"What's wrong, Grandpa? You keep sighing."
"...wheez... puff... You know, Grandma..."
"You talking about this room?"
"...whew... I know our son rented this for us and all, but...."
"It's too nice for us. Big round bed, gorgeous tub, I just can't get comfortable."
"Don't worry about it. It's a high class neighborhood, in the Big City."
"You keep complainin' and we'll get into trouble."
"...wheez..."

there is nothing in the dialogue to support that it was Reeve's parrents, but for years people have assumed it was because of the Kait Sith Doll in the room that's jumping up and down on the bed...

Aralith
03-28-2007, 08:46 PM
What? There's a Caith Sith doll jumping up and down? Now that I know the dialogue, I remember the scene of which you speak. But I swear all that can be seen through those keyholes is a yellow wall. Where do you see this jumping Caith Sith?

Elly
03-28-2007, 08:58 PM
you can move the camera left and right through both Keyholes, in Grandma & Grandpa's room the doll is to the right and the grandparents are to the left...

Aralith
03-28-2007, 09:03 PM
you can move the camera left and right through both Keyholes, in Grandma & Grandpa's room the doll is to the right and the grandparents are to the left...

Are you serious? Damn it! Granted I've only been playing VII for about two years now, but still, I've beaten it like 10 times. And I still don't know that?! For shame. I'm not sure if I can call myself a fanboy anymore. For shame.

Elly
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
yup, it's true, it's mentioned in the Official Strategy Guide p.44 halfway down next to a Red Materia they use to show tips... XD

doesn't make you a bad fanboy though, anyone could have missed it, but it does mean you have to start all over again just to see it... XD

Aralith
03-28-2007, 11:58 PM
doesn't make you a bad fanboy though, anyone could have missed it, but it does mean you have to start all over again just to see it... XD

Which unfortunately won't happen for a while. I just recently started playing VII again, but not recent enough to not be past that point, because, as I said earlier, I am in fact past that point, and I really don't feel like starting the game over just to see that. I'll just have to see if I can catch it on my next playthrough.

MJN SEIFER
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
here is the dialogue from that part of the story:

"...wheez...."
"Phew...."
"What's wrong, Grandpa? You keep sighing."
"...wheez... puff... You know, Grandma..."
"You talking about this room?"
"...whew... I know our son rented this for us and all, but...."
"It's too nice for us. Big round bed, gorgeous tub, I just can't get comfortable."
"Don't worry about it. It's a high class neighborhood, in the Big City."
"You keep complainin' and we'll get into trouble."
"...wheez..."

there is nothing in the dialogue to support that it was Reeve's parrents, but for years people have assumed it was because of the Kait Sith Doll in the room that's jumping up and down on the bed...

If you keep look threw their diologue will change and mention they have a son involved in Shinra.

CimminyCricket
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
If you bought the collector's edition of AC you'd know that Reeve's mother was indeed taking care of Denzel on top of the Plates, not below. It comes with a novel that gives a brief backstory on what things went on and that led up to AC.

Elly
03-29-2007, 04:25 PM
i'm sitting with the script to Final Fantasy VII right here and i've looked through the dialoge for that section multiple times, the dialogue does not change at all , to indicate their son works for Shin-Ra, now there are Shin-Ra employees in the other room where they're doing that little play, but to humor you i have a save at that point in the game, and will play through it later today but, through all the times i've played it so far the dialogue has not changed from the script that i have sitting here and i posted the entire dialogue presented in the script...

MJN SEIFER
03-29-2007, 04:38 PM
I swear it does change, whoever did that script obviously never did it.

If anyone has a state at that point just keep choosing the opition to look through their key and it will change.

Garnie
03-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Which unfortunately won't happen for a while. I just recently started playing VII again, but not recent enough to not be past that point, because, as I said earlier, I am in fact past that point, and I really don't feel like starting the game over just to see that. I'll just have to see if I can catch it on my next playthrough.

I CANNOT BELIVE I MISSED THAT???!!!

I AM A POOR FANGIRL! DAMN ME GARNIE!!

Elly
03-29-2007, 05:10 PM
ok, you're right there is a second piece of dialogue where they mention their son works for Shin-Ra and was just promoted to Department Head, but it does not say what Department he was just promoted to Head of, and the third dialogue is just them getting ready to go to sleep... so there is more dialogue but it is still does not mention that their son is Reeve nor doese it mention the name of the Department their son works for, i guess to intentionaly keep it vague, even though "The Way to a Smile" states what Cimanon said earlier about Reeve's mother watching over Denzil on top of the plate not below, so it could be the parents of any high ranking official in the Shin-Ra Power Corporation...

funny thing is now after seeing it again it seems familiar so i must have seen it on my first playthrough, and skipped it every playthrough after...

The Crystal
03-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Like i said before, Ruvi was taking care of Denzel. The people in Honeybee Inn aren't Reeve's parents. The end.

MJN SEIFER
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
ok, you're right there is a second piece of dialogue where they mention their son works for Shin-Ra and was just promoted to Department Head, but it does not say what Department he was just promoted to Head of, and the third dialogue is just them getting ready to go to sleep... so there is more dialogue but it is still does not mention that their son is Reeve nor doese it mention the name of the Department their son works for, i guess to intentionaly keep it vague, even though "The Way to a Smile" states what Cimanon said earlier about Reeve's mother watching over Denzil on top of the plate not below, so it could be the parents of any high ranking official in the Shin-Ra Power Corporation...

funny thing is now after seeing it again it seems familiar so i must have seen it on my first playthrough, and skipped it every playthrough after...

I think originally it was ment to inply it was Reeve, FF doesn't need to say everything that it has in the game just like no one in FFVIII pasifically says that Laguna and Squall are related but the hints are there.

Bolivar
03-29-2007, 07:03 PM
If you bought the collector's edition of AC you'd know that Reeve's mother was indeed taking care of Denzel on top of the Plates, not below. It comes with a novel that gives a brief backstory on what things went on and that led up to AC.

And if you played FFVII before this "compilation" marketing-orgy began, you'd know that all these movies and games are not consistent with the actualy game and game's story of Final Fantasy VII.

I would say yes, it would be rational for us to assume that it was Reeve's parents. For one, there's a toy doll like Cait Sith's machine in the room (reeve must like the design), and it's playing Cait Sith's theme music. Second, Reeve makes the most sense out of all the Shin-Ra Department Heads. Palmer had long been head of the space program, scarlet's not a "son" and heideggar, well it makes more sense for it be Reeve. For alot of reasons.

I always wondered what was going on myself, good to see someone else point it out. Now for another question - why is "grandpa" puffin and weezin? i guess he has asthma or something.

The Crystal
03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, like the "Case of Denzel" show us, the old couple in Honeybee Inn cannot be Reeve's parents. The question is already answered, can someone please, close this thread?

Elly
03-29-2007, 07:30 PM
i think grandpa's huffing and wheezing to be dramatic, he's taken aback by the expensive room they're staying in, that's how i see it anyway, i think he's exagerating as a lot of elderly men do... or maybe he does have asthma, and was overtaken by the expensive room they got booked into, i dunno... as for the Kait Sith Doll i guess anyone visiting Golden Saucer could pick one up from the gift shop, as the Mooglesauros was kinda the Saucers Mascot, as for the music true it is the music you hear when you see Kait Sith, but you also hear it at other points without him usualy during scenes that should be humorus, Square tends to use accepted character themes (themes aften associated with a character, even when not an actual titled character theme) seemingly out of context often i noticed, especialy on the older games...

marketing orgy? put yourself in S-Es position, you have a cash cow sitting there waiting to be milked, the majority of fans want it milked, what are you gonna do? milk it? or let it dry up and die? i dunno about you but i'd milk it for all it's worth... now on the other hand if they had fact checkers as good as the ones in George Lucas' employ, then i doubt there'd be all the compilation hate from the nitpickers out there, but also even after having good fact checkers we have to also realize this series was made in Japan, using different cultural referances and figures of speach which would not make sense here in the US, so the translators are set with the job of localizing the media and finding cultural referances and figures of speech that fit the US mode of thinking, it's not an easy job and i give them credit for what they have done with it so far, sure it isn't perfect, but it's close enough to still be good entertainment as long as you don't disect it too much...

MJN SEIFER
03-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, like the "Case of Denzel" show us, the old couple in Honeybee Inn cannot be Reeve's parents. The question is already answered, can someone please, close this thread?

Ok I have two theories.

1. I and various other FFVII gamers have simply interpeted the "hints" that they are Reeve's parents and are wrong about all this as evidenced in this "Denzel" thing.

2. We are right and these things were hints but either Square forgot they'd included it when "Denzel" was done, or the person who did it isn't with Square anymore.

Bolivar
03-29-2007, 10:24 PM
marketing orgy? put yourself in S-Es position, you have a cash cow sitting there waiting to be milked, the majority of fans want it milked, what are you gonna do? milk it? or let it dry up and die? i dunno about you but i'd milk it for all it's worth... now on the other hand if they had fact checkers as good as the ones in George Lucas' employ, then i doubt there'd be all the compilation hate from the nitpickers out there, but also even after having good fact checkers we have to also realize this series was made in Japan, using different cultural referances and figures of speach which would not make sense here in the US, so the translators are set with the job of localizing the media and finding cultural referances and figures of speech that fit the US mode of thinking, it's not an easy job and i give them credit for what they have done with it so far, sure it isn't perfect, but it's close enough to still be good entertainment as long as you don't disect it too much...

it is a marketing orgy. i'm not saying it was smart/dumb/good/bad or over the top but it is rediculous when people start interpreting a story based off of retcons that were non-existent at the time of development rather than various clues provided by the game.

as far as the suggestion that the toysaurus being a trademark of the gold saucer, i would agree that they use chocobos and moogles frequently, but there is only one cat on top of a winged obese moogle. and that's cait sith.

Elly
03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
i'll admit i was one of the fans that thaught all hints point to Reeve, but with the new information out i just accept that it could be any Department Head in Shin-Ra, doesn't have to be anyone on the board, meaning it doesn't have to be President ShinRa, Heidiger, Hojo, or even Reeve, Shin-Ra is a huge company and i'm sure they had more than their share of menial departments...

Paul
04-06-2007, 04:57 PM
2. We are right and these things were hints but either Square forgot they'd included it when "Denzel" was done, or the person who did it isn't with Square anymore.
quoted for truth

if everyone keeps referring to AC for proof of the game's minor plot points, they're not going to be continuous because it'd be too big a task to keep it that way. you can either discuss the AC version or the game version, but if you try to link them, in a lot of places they're going to contradict.

anyway yeah i wondered about that couple. it's possible they were meant to be reeve's parents. although is there any mention outside of this scene, of a character being promoted to department head?

Shotgunnova
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Here's the transcription of that second glance, if anyone wants to see it.

Grandpa: "...wheez...Phew...Hey Grandma. What's the name of the company that our son is working for...?"

Grandma: "Oh, Grandpa. Did you forget again...?"

Grandpa: "...heave...Lately, it's getting worse..."

Grandma: "It's Shinra, you know, Shinra, Inc.? It's the biggest company in the city."

Grandpa: "Yeah, if it's the biggest company, it must be something."

Grandma: "Yeah. It IS really something. He's doing well, and he told me that he's been promoted to Department Head."

Grandpa: "Oh...thanks to our son we're able to live in a room like this."

Grandma: "Yeah, I'm really grateful."

I've been working on a huge FF7 script for about two years, and although I'm only up to somewhere in Disc 2, I haven't seen hide nor hair about an NPC talking about a department promotion.

Paul
04-09-2007, 11:58 AM
i thought hojo was recently promoted to department head?

also i think maybe scarlet or palmer get promotions during the game... although i'm not suggesting any of these are reeve's parents :[

Lost Number
04-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Only two people managed to spell Cait Siths name right.
Also, it is nothing short of ridiculous to assume two characters who give vague details regarding a son as a department head are automatically related to Reeve. So therefore there is by no means a contradictions between AC and the game here.

Elly
04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
lol, true, i usualy proof read before submiting a post, but when it comes to the spelling or much of anything else dealing with Cait Sith, i tend to ignore it, i always hated the character, i never got the point of having a skill that can backfire and kill the party, but unfortunatealy since this discussion is about Reeve, it's not really possible to not have the thing braught up, maybe if it didn't have the toy moogle as a mount and didn't have a suicidal skill i would actualy like it some...