PDA

View Full Version : Divorces

Mirage
03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
I just recently found some interesting statistics, and I'd like to hear your view of them.

Lookie here ;o (http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm)

Religion - % have been divorced
Jews - 30%
Born-again Christians - 27%
Other Christians - 24%
Atheists, Agnostics - 21%

What are your opinions on these figures, and divorces in general?

nik0tine
03-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Divorce is great if there are no kids involved. If there are kids, it's not so cool. Although, sometimes it's not so cool for parents to stay married either. So I think people need just stop marrying each other.

Miriel
03-29-2007, 09:30 AM
So I think people need just stop marrying each other.

I seriously believe that a lot of people get married just so they can have a wedding. I know a ton of wedding photographers who shoot wildly extravagant weddings and then the couple is divorced before their album is even delivered. I mean c'mon people, if you can't even stay together for a year, why get married in the first place? :confused:

Anyway, it's obviously worse when there's children involved.

I really don't believe that if you're truely unhappy in a relationship that you should have to stay together. And there are definitely valid reasons for getting divorced. But it seems to be an easy out for a lot of people. And I guess I just don't see the point in making vows and promises that you aren't going to even TRY and keep. That being said, I don't really care if other people get divorced.

Parker
03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't see why marriages are really that necessary anymore. I don't think I'd need to marry my partner to prove I love her.

I figure instead of having an actual marriage, I'll throw some kind of party instead. That way I don't have to worry about the financial strain of a divorce should the relationship turn sour down the line.

Mitch
03-29-2007, 10:47 AM
I recently found out my parents are splitting. It's OK though, 'cos I've seen it coming for years and there has been no unpleasantness.

Probably the cleanest divorce in the universe, actually.

If there are kids involved, that would make it different.

Peegee
03-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I recently found out a friend of mine is on his second wedding, and had been divorced earlier. I though he and his wife were on (their) first wedding. So only she was on her first wedding.

I have another friend who is divorced. He has a daughter who is turning 6 next month. Said friend is younger than I am by a good 2-3 years.

I have YET another friend who isn't married, but has a baby boy.

And very recently I found out that yet another friend of mine secretly got married when he visited India for a couple of weeks.

----

Then there's Mandee's (somewhat) recent wedding. I'm also going to a wedding this summer (family wedding).

My opinion of weddings is not very high btw. Mandee's wedding is like the sole exception in a long history of seeing married couples leave each other / aren't in hollywood-ish love with each other, etc.

My parents' wedding appears fine, btw.

ps: my opinion on divorce is that it's such a normal thing to do I don't ever want to get married -- it just wastes time and money.

pps: my friend's wife (first example) said some nonsense about hooking me up with a girlfriend....-_-

Roto13
03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it's cute that the people who fought to keep divorce illegal, and the people for whom divorce is a sin, have a substantially higher divorce rate.

Endless
03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I just recently found some interesting statistics, and I'd like to hear your view of them.

Lookie here ;o (http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm)

Religion - % have been divorced
Jews - 30%
Born-again Christians - 27%
Other Christians - 24%
Atheists, Agnostics - 21%

What are your opinions on these figures, and divorces in general?

On these figures in particular, two things:
- correlation != causation.
- it's statistics. There's a part where they look at the rate depending on where you live, and the two areas who have the highest rates are the poorest. So, maybe poor => divorce (teenage pregnancies, abuse, etc...) and poor => getting into some branches of religion, in which case it's the income to some extent that tells if there's more risk of a divorce, not religion. Unfortunately, the satistical study didn't really investigate that aspect.

About divorce: it's really unfortunate, because children or not, it means that the couple failed to work their differences or even to see them early. In a lot of cases, I think the divorce is necessary, because forcing people together makes things worse for them and for their kids if they have any, or even is a danger to some of them (beatings from a drunk spouse/parent for example). In my relatives, I've seen some divorces, some of which were really bitter, some of which were "smoother" at least when seen from the outside.

Mirage
03-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Finally! Someone noticed!

Anyway, I know it doesn't automatically mean people get divorced more often because of their religion, but it is a strong counterargument to statements such as "Christians divorce less than atheists", which is sometimes used as a moral defence.

I just think it's important to take note of them, and perhaps do some more comprehensive research. It's also worth noting that this study was originally made to find out that religious groups had lower divorce rates, but found the opposite.

Bunny
03-29-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't see why marriages are really that necessary anymore. I don't think I'd need to marry my partner to prove I love her.

I figure instead of having an actual marriage, I'll throw some kind of party instead. That way I don't have to worry about the financial strain of a divorce should the relationship turn sour down the line.

Commitment ceremony?

Roto13
03-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Great, and then if one is dependent on the other one, they're trapped in the relationship because if they leave they lose everything.

Parker
03-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Yes. But those are my plans. I'm not saying everyone should do it, certainly not a couple where one is dependent on the other.

rubah
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
The stats are not significantly different for any of the religious groups, it seems.

Divorce is terrible for people to go through, and that's why people should be more discerning in picking a mate>:[

Mirage
03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
The difference between 21% and 30% is rather big, my dear :p. 30% is almost 150% of 21%. Jews are also a bit over 25% more likely to get divorced than "other christians" whichever sects/denominations that includes.

Tifa Valentine
03-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Divorces suck. I have two nieces that are EXTREMELY shy when it comes to men and it's a sad thing to see. Then I have these two devil-children nieces that are absolute bitches when it comes to men. Even when they see their father, they push him away when he tried to kiss or hug them and they hardly ever want to spend time with him.

I think a lot of girls pressure their men to marry them because they want that "dream wedding". Three of my sisters have done that, and so far two of them are divorced.

As for Christians... I don't know. There are those that can't have sex until marriage and I think some of them jump the gun for that reason alone. I also think that people with less/no religion tend to have a more forgiving nature. Example: If their spouse cheats they try to work it out where as Christians turn to the Bible and say, "You cheated on me! I have the right to divorce you!!" Now, in some cases that may be justified but a lot of married couple are only human and they make mistakes. I'm pretty sure some married couples (non Christian) welcome threesomes and partners outside of their marriage. So, they have a lot more fun then those tied down couples and less of a reason to divorce. I actually know quite a few people who do that.

SapphireBlue*
03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Well...My parents met each other in high school and got married when when they were 21. They were so in love...But when I was 8 and my little sister 2, they got divorced cuz my dad was cheating on my mom... -_- I used to hate having to go with my dad on weekends. I used to be so close to him but I started to get annoyed by him cuz I always saw my mom crying and knew it was because of my dad. Both my mom and dad got re-married and both of them got divorced again...It was so weird lol Now! They started talking again and I was talking to my mom the other day and she said she still kinda likes him...So there's hope that maybe they'll get together again! haha It's kinda funny actually...
The point is that...Divorce sometimes is necessary, in some cases like abuse and stuff...and like others have said, it should be done if there aren't any children involved...But I don't think divorce should be illegal at all...I mean, I'm a catholic, I shouldn't believe in divorces but...oh well...

~*~Celes~*~
03-29-2007, 11:29 PM
I think that Hollywood made divorce popular.

Bunny
03-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Don't pass the blame onto someone else.

~*~Celes~*~
03-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Don't pass the blame onto someone else.

Aww, why not? You did say that it was Psy that killed that chicken, but it was really you...I SAW YOU KILL THAT CHICKEN! :nonono:

Jebus
03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
I honestly don't see a point in marriage to begin with, aside from the benefits from the government and smaller insurance rates and all that. Not to mention that wedding ceremonies tend to be grossly ostentatious displays of wealth rather than whatever other reasons people try to give for it.

A marriage is a contract. Divorce is the breaking of that contract. Nothing special there.

escobert
03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Divorce sucks and yeah it sucks. My parents slip but I was still in my mothers womb when my dad left so I didn't directly have to deal with it. it still sucks not having my real father living with me, and that I never have lived with my father. But whatever he's like my buddy I hang out with and not really much like a father.

black orb
03-31-2007, 11:00 PM
>>> lol, I think my parents divorced before I was even born..

Renmiri
04-01-2007, 03:16 AM
- correlation != causation.

A scientist! :love: :love: :love:

Nothing like science to debunk bible thumping wacko fundies!

daggertrepe
04-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Divorce+DT= whatever