PDA

View Full Version : Generic Music Thread

Proxy
03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Kinda vague title, but I'm gonna give this a shot. What are some of your favorite bands, groups, or whatever, and songs from them? What's on the top of your playlists? Or perhaps bands you're interested in listening to, but need second or third opinions about? Perhaps add some lyrics that you like. Concerts you've been to, want to go to. This is gonna be a pretty open thread, and it'll kinda let us know each other a slight bit more. Lets post here and have a little music discussion.

Me, I'm a huge fan of Saosin, From First To Last, The Used, The Bled, anything off any of thier CD's I love.
If anyone who likes The Used, and haven't heard their new single, The Bird And The Worm, I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorites.
I'm also a big fan of The Red Jumpsuit Aparatus, a couple of thier tracks, Cat And Mouse, and Guardian Angel make me tear up every time I hear them.
And ofcourse, I can't forget AFI, Death of Seasons is a great track by AFI. and I like the classical symphonies, and composers.
Classic rock can't be beat either.

And just a little excerpt from a song.

All alone he turns to scold, while holding his breath after death.
Terrified of what's inside, to save his life he crawls like a worm from a bird.

Momiji
03-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Proxy, you and I must have been separated at birth.

I LOVE Bright Eyes, Alesana, From First to Last (only with Sonny Moore though), The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Nightmare of You, AFI, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Chiodos, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Escape the Fate, Underoath, Boys Night Out, Boys Like Girls, Taking Back Sunday, Panic! at the Disco, The Used, My Chemical Romance... and SO much more.

Proxy
03-30-2007, 03:34 AM
I noticed you like most of the Taste of Chaos tour, which is stopping by in my areaish tomorrow. *love*
I wanna go see it so badly, to throw around some wanna be moshers, but alas, as far as I know, no available tickets.

Sonny left. Sonny is doing solo now. Sonny's solo stuff is horrible. I like him, but the punk/emo style suits him best, cause that's what he did best.
And, althought FFTL won't be the same without him, I'm sure the new CD is gonna sond great. They have 3 CD's experience under the belt, and that's more than enough to know what their fans like, and dislike.

Momiji
03-30-2007, 03:37 AM
I noticed you like most of the Taste of Chaos tour, which is stopping by in my areaish tomorrow. *love*
I wanna go see it so badly, to throw around some wanna be moshers, but alas, as far as I know, no available tickets.

Sonny left. Sonny is doing solo now. Sonny's solo stuff is horrible. I like him, but the punk/emo style suits him best, cause that's what he did best.
And, althought FFTL won't be the same without him, I'm sure the new CD is gonna sond great. They have 3 CD's experience under the belt, and that's more than enough to know what their fans like, and dislike.

Whoa, gotta disagree with you there. I LOVE Sonny's solo stuff. He sounds so much better when he isn't straining his voice.

And I wasn't able to go to Taste of Chaos this year. I'm probably going to Warped Tour though.

kikimm
03-30-2007, 03:58 AM
I've been really interested in Saosin for awhile, but I keep forgetting to check their stuff out. I don't know why I'm interested in the first place, though--I just saw this guy wearing a sweatshirt with the name on it and thought it sounded cool. I think I listened to a few clips of some songs on lastfm, but that was it. What do you RECOMMEND? >=D

A band that I have been listening to a lot recently is Silversun Pickups. Really good stuff. Although Lazy Eye is probably my favourite right now; I love the video so much. I bet they would be great to see live too. Must investigate.

Momiji
03-30-2007, 03:59 AM
I've been really interested in Saosin for awhile, but I keep forgetting to check their stuff out. I don't know why I'm interested in the first place, though--I just saw this guy wearing a sweatshirt with the name on it and thought it sounded cool. I think I listened to a few clips of some songs on lastfm, but that was it. What do you RECOMMEND? >=D

A band that I have been listening to a lot recently is Silversun Pickups. Really good stuff. Although Lazy Eye is probably my favourite right now; I love the video so much. I bet they would be great to see live too. Must investigate.

The old Saosin (pre new singer) is better. I don't really care for the new stuff.

You should listen to Bright Eyes and Alesana. ^^

kikimm
03-30-2007, 04:03 AM
I do! Bright Eyes, anyways. Probably not enough for your standards, but I do. ;) Lover I Don't Have to Love is great. So is False Advertising....that might be my favourite song from them. Yes.

escobert
03-30-2007, 04:03 AM
Nas... too many songs to list. Every CD is good, some better than others. Some stand out tracks are Take it in blood, The World is Yours, It Ain't hard to tell, I gave you power, Nas is Like, Undying Love, you're the man, One Mic, What goes around, If I ruled the World, Carry on Tradition, Hip Hop is Dead, Not going Back, Thugz Mansion, Can't forget about you (personal favorite atm), QB True G. Many more but those are all tracks I love.

JackNapier
03-30-2007, 04:18 AM
I listen to a pretty wide variety of music. Lately I've found myself addicted to OverCLocked Remix's tunes, and the majority of the music that comes out of Finland (it's just so good!). Favorite bands would have to be: The Misfits, The 69 Eyes, Dream Theater, Rammstein, My Chemical Romance etc. I never stay focused on one thing. I'll be obsessed with something one month, and then obsessed with a completely different genre a month later.

Eiko Guy
03-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Evanescence My one true love from now til she dies and when she dies I will listen to her in heaven.

Jebus
03-30-2007, 05:47 AM
My favorite bands/artists are Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Allman Brothers, The Beatles, CCR, The Grateful Dead, Nick Drake, Weird Al Yankovic, Beck, and They Might be Giants.

My favorite composers are Bach, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Vivaldi, Dvorak, and Mozart.

Araciel
03-30-2007, 05:50 AM
Tool and a perfect circle...maynard's vocals and lyrics are the love

i've been to see him in tool twice and a perfect circle once... a perfect circle was at summersault but the tool shows were just that, tool was the only stage it was awesome.

edit

also jebus' musical taste is amazing!

Kirobaito
03-30-2007, 06:00 AM
I have absolutely fallen in love with contemporary folk music and what it represents. My favorite artists are Tom Paxton, John Denver, James Taylor, Eric Andersen, Phil Ochs, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, The Weavers, Alan Lomax, Mississippi John Hurt, and others.

My favorite songs come from these artists.

"Thirsty Boots" - Eric Andersen (1964)

<i>Take off your thirsty boots and stay for awhile
Your feet are hot and weary from a dusty mile
And maybe I can make you laugh, and maybe I can try
Looking for the evening, and the mourning in your eyes.</i>

"Leaving London" - Tom Paxton (1966)

<i>If I could beg steal or borrow
A ticket on some ship or plane
I'd be leaving London tomorrow
to fly to my own love again.</i>

"Come and Let Me Look in Your Eyes" - John Denver (1976)

<i>All across the universe the stars are fading
Seems we've gotten lost on our way
All I want to do is try and find myself
Come and let me look in your eyes.</i>

"This Land is Your Land" - Woody Guthrie (1940)

<i>I've roamed and rambled, I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond desert
And all around me, a voice was sounding
"This land was made for you and me."</i>

You can't just be a fan of folk music. It becomes a part of who you are and what you aspire the world to be.

Jebus
03-30-2007, 06:02 AM
You can't just be a fan of folk music. It becomes a part of who you are and what you aspire the world to be.

This is true.

Araciel
03-30-2007, 07:11 AM

I've roamed and rambled, I've followed my footsteps
"This land was made for you and me."

WOODY WINS

1913 massacre = greatest.

Proxy
03-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Wow. I'm glad to see so many people posting in this.
Apparently The Used were about say, 20 mins from me last night, which would have been nice to see.
@kikimm: Saosin is great. The new CD is fantastic, and it all depends on what kind of "punk" you like. If you like the heavier, and more screamy, like early Alexis on Fire, then you'll like the older Saosin.
I personally don't have a problem with either, but the new one is more...Harmonic, and IMO, has an all around better sound. But old/new, Saosin is great.
@Araciel: I'm also a fan of Maynard. His lyrics have so much meaning, and feel. Also, very dark at times. But I'd love to go see either of his bands in concert.
Jebeus and Kirobaito, both of you guys have fantastic taste in music. I'm impressed to see someone who likes folk. I've honestly never heard of anyone I know who likes it.

Devourment
03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Cannibal Corpse.. Check out The Bleeding, Bloodthirst & The Wretched Spawn albums. If you don't like heavy music then don't bother. That goes for also being offended by pictures of non exsistent things & jokey lyrics & song titles. I also love Cryptopsy. Check out the None So Vile & Whisper Supremacy albums. & Nicolo Paganini, try get a butchers at 'The Best of Nicolo Paganini', obviously he's not playing the material on it, because he's dead, but it's played to a pretty good standard. His 1st, 5th, & 24th Caprices are great.

I have seen live Cannibal Corpse, Necrophagist, Dragonforce,Cryptopsy, & Muse. Don't much time to see many bands, but there's a whole,shed loads of bands I'd love to see.. I really can't be bothered to name them all now.

My musical tastes are very varied. I'm 60% metalhead, but I also like jazz, classical, blues, soul, a little bit of dance [Prodigy & Aphex Twin - People who produce dance who have the telent & intelligence to make dance music that doesn't have the same beat all the way through] & so on. Feel free to ask me questions are anything.

Breine
03-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I like all kinds of music, but my absolute favourites are probably: Rufus Wainwright, Björk, Kate Bush, Prince, Martha Wainwright, Jeff Buckley, Antony and the Johnsons, Alicia Keys, Johnny Cash, The Beatles, M.I.A., Yeah Yeah Yeahs etc. etc.

I have so many CDs with so many very different artists that it's kinda hard to post my faves... but, those above are definitely some of them.

Xander
03-31-2007, 01:17 AM
Lately I'm pretty obsessed with The Shins and I got to see them in a gig a few days ago which was pretty cool! Other than that I'm into the same sorta stuff as usually, fun happy clappy cute stuff, but getting into more chilled things.

st is a nice chilled/ambient swedish artist, you can get free mp3s at http://www.last.fm/music/st I really recommend Csanca :) I find this sort of music nice late at night and stuff.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-31-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm pretty into pop-punk, and stuff like that. Sometimes some R&B and rarely any Rap. As you can see by my sig, I'm pretty much obbsessed addicted to Panic! at the Disco. I also love:

Panic! at the Disco. Paramore. Hawthorne Heights. 30 Seconds to Mars. Cobra Starship. Fallout Boy. Hellogoodbye. Silversun Pickups. Queen. Hoobastank. Nirvana. Human League. Jack Johnson. Junior Senior. Shiny Toy Guns. Sugar Cult. The Dresden Dolls. The Hush Sound. Gorillaz. This Providence. MCR. Coheed and Cambria. Gym Class Heroes. Lily Allen. Chris Daughtry. NSync. Lady Sovereign. Audioslave. Mika. Linkin Park. OKGo. Franz Ferdinand. Evanescence. Fiona Apple. Deathcab for Cutie. Flyleaf. Teddy Geiger. Ne-Yo. The Cab (<3).

And lots of other random stuff. I'm kinda too lazy to post the rest. xD But there's probably alot of good ones I forgot there. These few days I've been living off of some of the songs on Fallout Boy's new album (not that I bought it..), especially Thnks Fr Th Mmrs. <3

One night and one more time,
Thanks for the memories,
Even though they weren't so great,
He tastes like you, only sweeter,
One night, yea, one more time,
Thanks for the memories,
Thanks for the memories,
See, he tastes like you, only sweeter.
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

They say I only think,
In the form of crunching numbers,
In hotel rooms, collecting Page Six lovers,
Get me out of my mind, and get you out of those clothes.
Im a liner away from getting you into the mood.
Woah-oh.

Ryth
03-31-2007, 04:06 AM
I listen to most kinds of music, only true exception probably being emo and metalcore. My favourite genre is easily progressive, symphonic prog, prog-rock, prog metal, krautrock, whatever kind, it doesn't matter. I also love Indie, Garage, Alternative, Punk, Metal (many many subgenres of it too), Folk, Psychedelic, Grunge, Blues-Rock, Jazz, and well, most everything.

Resha
03-31-2007, 07:42 AM

I've roamed and rambled, I've followed my footsteps
"This land was made for you and me."

WOODY WINS

1913 massacre = greatest.

I like "Vigilante Man" best! But yeah, folk is awesome. Especially that olden folk that's so simple and sincere, I love it. I went through a folkie phase =D Lead Belly too.

My favourite artists at the moment, though, are uhmuhmhummm -- Bob Dylan (this never changes), Kings of Leon, Nick Drake, Sufjan Stevens, The Travelling Wilburys...that's it for now. It'll all change next week, of course, because that's how I swing with music.

daggertrepe
03-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Under the influence of Giants!!!

Boney King
04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Fear Before The March Of Flames, Sigur Ros, and Russian Circles currently own me. I also really like Bob Dylan, Hopesfall, David Bowie, Miles Davis, Radiohead, The Cure, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, 65daysofstatic, Cannibal Ox, NWA, Atmosphere, Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Tool, Every Time I Die, and Fightstar.

Oh yes, Poison The Well also. The new album = love.

Slade
04-03-2007, 08:31 AM
My favourite artists would be Incubus, Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Elton John, The Beatles, Gorillaz, Lifehouse and P.O.D.
At present anyhow. There are others but stuffed if I can remember them right now :jess:

Remedy
04-03-2007, 10:05 AM
some favorite Bands:
- A1 : If Only + Caught in the Middle + I've made up my mind
- Backstreet Boys : I still + More than that + The call
- 5ive : Closer to me + serious + Don't wanna let you go
- N'sync : Just don't tell me that + Tell me baby + Digital get down
- The Calling : Where ever you will go + One by one
- Panic at the Disco : I write sins...
- Spice Girls : Denying + Do it + Viva for ever
* some of them are former Bands *

there :)

blim
04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Anyone know any good dub they can recommend? I only know Prince Far I and King Tubby.

Remedy
04-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Anyone know any good dub they can recommend? I only know Prince Far I and King Tubby.
WHAT?:confused:

Black Mage FF1
04-04-2007, 07:07 AM
One of my favorite bands is The Fall Of Troy. I suggest that everyone here checks em out.

You should listen to these songs...

What Sound Does A Mastodon Make?

I Just Got This Symphony Going'

F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.

Little Blue
04-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm not quie sure how to describe my taste in music, but at the moment, my favourite songs are stuff like 24 or They by Jem, Hunter or Thank You by Dido and Conversations with my Thirteen year old self or I've got money now by Pink. The soundtracks from Gladiator also seem to find their way into my favourites at the moment too.

blim
04-04-2007, 01:05 PM

Sorry, what was wrong with my question?

Momiji
04-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Sorry, what was wrong with my question?

I think what Remedy was trying to say is:

WTF did you just say?

..I'm saying the same thing. ;)

blim
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
I was asking for recommendations of good Dub Reggae similar to the artists i mentioned.

Apologies for any confusion.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Lately I have been addicted to Angela Aki. Someone had shown me her Sakurairo music video and I was installing a fan. So I have been listening to a lot of Angela Aki. Besides that I am a Celine Dion fan too, though I have to be in the right mood for it. Same thing with Linkin Park, though I do not care for their songs that have too much rap. I also like a few other J-pop artists including Utada Hikaru (Passion is <3), Ayumi Hamasaki and BoA Kwon (though she is more K-pop I guess). Besides that I mostly listen to anime and video game OSTs, thus I am a big fan of Yoko Kanno and Yuki Kajiura and some others.

Mostly my taste in music is diverse, though I am not a big fan of rap, though I do not mind a little of it.

Boney King
04-06-2007, 03:38 AM
One of my favorite bands is The Fall Of Troy. I suggest that everyone here checks em out.

You should listen to these songs...

What Sound Does A Mastodon Make?

I Just Got This Symphony Going'

F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.

I was addicted to "F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X." all last summer. :)

Proxy
04-06-2007, 03:48 AM
I've also found 2 new loves, eventhough DragonForce has been around for a while now, I still love em. Crazy technical.
Also...Street Drum Corps. Insane-o. I Love it.