PDA

View Full Version : Hokay, SO. Let's clear up everyones problem with poor ol' Quina..

CloudStrifex
03-29-2007, 08:50 PM
WTF is wrong with the bloated, useless, frog-like bxtch.
I, personally think (s)he is rather cool.. random but I like that.

=]:moomba:

Shotgunnova
03-31-2007, 06:26 AM
S/he's a comic relief character that barely factors into the plot at all, has poor physical attacks, is ugly, and can give people a hard time with Eat-ing enemies. But useless? Naw.

CloudStrifex
03-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah ok, maybe (s)he isn't useless.. but its a pain in the ass when you have to fight Lich with it, after what? 20+ hours of not playing with him/her so (s)he has a ridiculously low level and one blue magic spell..
He has an interesting sub-storyline though.. 'Till it becomes simple

Shotgunnova
03-31-2007, 05:54 PM
It's not Quina's fault the player didn't take time to level up and Eat some blue magicks.

CloudStrifex
03-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Didn't mean it like that- But there's no reason to use him because of his shxtness.. then when the story FORCES yu to use him- yer screwed over by Lich..

Sefie1999AD
03-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Quina's there for comic relief, I don't think there's anything really "wrong" with him/her. Blue Magic spells like Mighty Guard and White Wind are definitely useful, and there are some other useful spells too, such as 1000 Needles early in the game.

Xurts
04-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Quina is by far the coolest and most useful character in the game. Learn all of her Blu Magics and she will own.

Trance_Kuja
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Xurts speaks the truth, its Blue magic make it one of the best characters to use.

Mr.Bogus
04-02-2007, 07:51 PM
The characters that most people think that suck are normally the more usefull ones...

Like Mr.Xurts said and Mr.Trance_Kuja defended Quina can be quiet usefull if you obtain all of her blue magic skills.

I still remember finishing off Ozma with a few "frog drops":)

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
WTF is correct with the bloated, useless, frog-like bxtch.?

The black mage
04-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I never realy use Quina, so i almost always get beaten by Linch, Untill i relised that Quina could eat him.

Trance_Kuja
04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
WTF is correct with the bloated, useless, frog-like bxtch.?

I laugh at you, useless HAHA have you even used it ever, have you ever got all her blue magics. She is by the far the most useful character in the game.

Cookie
04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah, I thought that Lich battle was hard at first, then when I got my first turn I realised I still had that Zidane person. Lich is a piece of piss regardless of Quina's level. I'm undecided on Quina, since it's undecided whether it'll deal a large amount of damage, or a poor amount.

Goldenboko
04-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Quina=Funny. 1 point for Quina
Blue Magic= Awesome. 2 points for Quina
Auto-Life and Frog Drop= Unreplacable 3 points for Quina

Quina Haters= Annoying. -1 point for Quina Haters
Quina Haters' Grammer= Non existant -2 points for Quina Haters
Quina Haters= Weaker then Quina -3 points for Quina Haters

That makes Quina 3 points, Quina haters -3

Xurts
04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, I thought that Lich battle was hard at first, then when I got my first turn I realised I still had that Zidane person. Lich is a piece of piss regardless of Quina's level. I'm undecided on Quina, since it's undecided whether it'll deal a large amount of damage, or a poor amount.
Quina's Frog Drop (one of her best offensive attacks, IMO) damage depends on how many frogs she has catched. She needs around 130 in order to max it at 9999.

Frostwake
04-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Quina's Frog Drop (one of her best offensive attacks, IMO) damage depends on how many frogs she has catched. She needs around 130 in order to max it at 9999.

Also depends on level, so only 101 frogs at lvl 99

Well, I hate Quina because its the most powerful AND stupid character at the same time (with the possible exception of a shadow-absorbing Vivi, or a 99 phoenix pinion Eiko)... Mighty Guard, Frog Drop, White Wind, Night, Auto-Life... What else do you need? You just need those abilities in a character that is actually cool, thats what you need :p

Cookie
04-07-2007, 05:37 AM

I was talking about regular attacks but k.

Laddy
04-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Quina is my girlfriend, I love her White Wind. That spell itself is worthy of your attention.

No.78
04-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Quina=Funny. 1 point for Quina
Blue Magic= Awesome. 2 points for Quina
Auto-Life and Frog Drop= Unreplacable 3 points for Quina

Quina Haters= Annoying. -1 point for Quina Haters
Quina Haters' Grammer= Non existant -2 points for Quina Haters
Quina Haters= Weaker then Quina -3 points for Quina Haters

That makes Quina 3 points, Quina haters -3

Undeniable logic!

Xurts
04-07-2007, 04:56 PM

I was talking about regular attacks but k.
Why would you use regular attacks?

The Unknown Guru
04-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Frog Drop is crrrrrrrrrrrAYZEE powerful. Just catch around 125 frogs and you get 9999 damage for 10 MP.

Tallulah
04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Quina fails. I was never bothered with the useless fat lump. Though he/she/it was a little helpful in Gargan Roo, even I can't deny that.

Trance_Kuja
04-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Quina fails. I was never bothered with the useless fat lump. Though he/she/it was a little helpful in Gargan Roo, even I can't deny that.

Stop calling one of the most useful characters in the game useless jesus christ.

04-14-2007, 07:47 PM
So, basically what I'm hearing is that she's useless if you never bother using her. Which is the case of any RPG character. Making the complaint completely illegitimate.

Polnareff
04-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Why does everyone think Quina's female? O_o

There are more things that point to it being male, but that's for another thread (and yes, I know it's supposed to have a mysterious gender, but still).

I don't think it's useless at all, unless you physically attack a lot (i.e, don't use the special commands everyone has). But its Blue Magic spells are top-notch. Only time I didn't try to use it was when I got to Memoria.

McLovin'
04-14-2007, 11:53 PM
I don't know what she is but I know for a fact the he is not human.

Xurts
04-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Why does everyone think Quina's female? O_o

There are more things that point to it being male, but that's for another thread (and yes, I know it's supposed to have a mysterious gender, but still).

I don't think it's useless at all, unless you physically attack a lot (i.e, don't use the special commands everyone has). But its Blue Magic spells are top-notch. Only time I didn't try to use it was when I got to Memoria.
I refer to Quina as a female because that's what she looks like. With all of the bright pink colors you would assume she was a girl. It doesn't matter one way or the other if you call it he/she/it/whatever.

Tallulah
04-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Stop calling one of the most useful characters in the game useless jesus christ.

Hellooooo?! Inconsistent physical attacks coupled with the lamest Blue Magic in any Final Fantasy series! Quina, for the majority of the time, sucks!

Xurts
04-15-2007, 10:23 PM

Hellooooo?! Inconsistent physical attacks coupled with the lamest Blue Magic in any Final Fantasy series! Quina, for the majority of the time, sucks!
Excuse me? Have you learned all of her Blu Magic? Obviously not. Quina has by far the best Blu Magic and is the the most useful and flexible character in FF9.

Why are you even considering physical attacks anyway? Only a complete fool would use those when they can use Blu Magic instead. The only time where Quina is weak is when you first get her and she has no Blu Magic. Once you have the chance to learn more she quickly becomes a great character in battle.

Zeromus_X
04-15-2007, 10:28 PM
I always put Quina in my party every time I play this game. Blue Magic is usually very powerful and useful (White Wind, Level 5 Death, Mighty Guard, and on and on) and this game is no exception. Quina can pretty much break the game with Limit Globe and she is a neccessity for level one Ozma and Excalibur II challenges.

Blue Magic isn't very difficult to acquire or use in this game as compared to other games, so there's really no reason not to use Quina.

ReloadPsi
04-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Quina's the funniest damn character in the game. Her motive for joining the party is awesome: To taste food around the world. Helping pull it out of a terrible crisis is just a litte thing on the side, since there'll be food at the end of it.

I do what I want! You have problem?

demondude
05-10-2007, 08:00 PM
:quina: Quina is the best final fantasy character period

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 01:23 AM
S/he's a comic relief character that barely factors into the plot at all, has poor physical attacks, is ugly, and can give people a hard time with Eat-ing enemies. But useless? Naw.

Any character can be strong, it just depends on what the PLAYER does ;)

Christmas
05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
I will never play FF IX if not for Quina. :quina:

Shotgunnova
05-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Any character can be strong, it just depends on what the PLAYER does ;)

That goes without saying, especially if that person is Lv. 99 has a bunch of auto- abilities, and is fighting something incredibly easy. Quina just has a harder time being "strong" than those who come naturally, like Amarant or Zidane. That's how s/he is supposed to be, which doesn't make Quina worse than anyone else, just in need of extra care. Y'know, like a kindergartener (speaking of single-minded hunger...).

Omni-Odin
05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Quina was actually in my last party. She's not that hard to make a good character out of her. The Frog Drop Ability and her healing magics rival anyone in the game's.

Gwen
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Quina's my fav orite character in this game!

Old Manus
05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
In before Del Murder

Bolivar
05-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I usually like to utilize every job/character when I play an FF, and Blue Mages are always alot of fun.

Like it's been said, it's all up to the player how useful you want Quina to be.

And about her physical attacks, I wouldn't say they suck as much as it's just that they're really random, like axe-wielders in other installments. Alot of the time it's sub-adequate, but I've seen her hit for more than my other characters at the time. I can understand not liking it for being unreliable, but sometimes you gotta take a chance in FF.

At the same time, if you prefer other jobs, that's fine, too. It's all about how you play the game.

Ender
06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
I find it difficult to use Quina because she's so irrelevant to the story at hand, but then I can't _not_ use her because she's easily the best character in the game from a pure combat perspective:

1. Many blue magic spells target a group which means they can be cast on your party (or enemy for that matter) while they have Auto-Reflect active. This makes White Wind, Mighty Guard, and Angel Snack more versatile than the equivalent white magic spells.

2. Frog Drop = max damage for as little as 5 MP (with Half MP ability) with a bit of work

3. LV 5 Death is the only offensive action you need to take against Grand Dragons. Quina makes all the other characters more useful in combat by making it so easy for them to level up 30-40 levels mid-game.

4. Blue Magic is not that hard to get in this game. Most spells are carried by multiple types of monsters, and if you keep getting "Cannot eat until it is weaker" then hit it with Vivi, Dagger, or Eiko, or with one of Vivi's low-level magic spells until you _can_ eat it.

riallews
06-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I had a love/hate relationship with quina. There were times in the plot that I adored that chubby freak, and times that I could havew strangled her/him/it (i usually call quina 'her' - as someone said - that much pink cant be ignored)

as for battles i made a half-decent attempt to get as much blue magic as i could without going nuts, and i found her useful at times, though mostly i prefered the vivi/steiner combination until later on in the game.

anywho each to their own i guess :P

darksword12
06-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I used Quina as a standard character for quite a while.

Once I fought Lich, I realized how much I LOVE using Quina!

Blue mages are now one of my favorite classes.

P.S.: I actually use male pronouns when referring to Quina.