PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV trailer!

DeStyle
03-29-2007, 10:58 PM
1 Min to GTA IV trailer!

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

EDIT: It seems rockstar is unable to handle all of the internet traffic :cry:.

Meat Puppet
03-29-2007, 11:00 PM
I know. I also have to go to work in 1 minute. :frust:

Psychotic
03-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Teamxbox.com says that the game is set in Liberty City again. On other forums, people claim you play a Russian guy. But still haven't seen it because of the insane traffic.

DeStyle
03-29-2007, 11:23 PM
We'll know soon :D.

I don't think the game will be set in Liberty. That would
kind of impair the capabilities of GTA IV, and when starting
a new era of GTA, the last thing the producers want to be
is impaired in movement.

EDIT: What, it's only 1 minute long *sob* !?

XxSephirothxX
03-29-2007, 11:26 PM
It's on Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/), though their link is also down at the moment. Apparently it's also on GameVideos in Hi-Def, but that probably won't last long, either.

Psychotic
03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm downloading it at the moment. 46% :excited:

And yeah, it's definitely in Liberty - I've seen screenshots. To be fair, though, GTA 3's Liberty City was pretty generic. It could've been any North-Eastern US city. You couldn't say the same for the other four cities in the series. However, from what I've seen, this looks like it's very close to being New York, so I'm guessing Liberty City is getting a complete overhaul. If that's the case, then I don't mind.

...would've loved London (The Getaway is not up to GTA standards) or even a San Andreas-style UK "state" with three or more cities and countryside, though.

Dreddz
03-30-2007, 12:05 AM
New York has to be one of the lamest location. It should of been in São Paulo.

Not that I was gonna play it anyway....

Rase
03-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Seeing as how there's Lady Liberty in the trailer it looks like New York is it, and assuming the guy speaking is the PC looks like you're a Russkie as well. Interesting.

I'll give it this, the graphics are nice. I'm not too fond of the GTA games and so won't be picking this up (also won't have the systems it's on), but it certainly look nice.

Psychotic
03-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Ah, finally saw it. Yeah, Liberty, (with the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty to boot) and Russian guy, confirmed. It looks very gritty and I can't wait. This will be the game that makes me invest in the next console generation, although I don't know whether I'll get a 360 or PS3.

Also, good to see old favourites like Sprunk and Cluckin' Bell in there.

DK
03-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Man I didn't really know what to expect from this game, and I wasn't particularly interested, but that was hot man. It looks so pretty. And Russian main character makes for epic lulz. Definitely going to have to get on this one.

still holding out for that rail gun, though.

XxSephirothxX
03-30-2007, 12:59 AM
I think the game will be made or broken based upon what new stuff Rockstar brings to the table. They've done a magnificient job of this in the past, so I have high hopes for this one. The graphics looks great, and if anyone can pull of a living, breathing city, it's Rockstar. I want more already.

JKTrix
03-30-2007, 02:14 AM
To see GTA IV in action, on your TV, go buy Table Tennis on 360. Same graphics engine they'll be using, though it's only the humans you'll see. And it's a nifty game to boot, cheaper than Virtua Tennis.

Madame Adequate
03-30-2007, 02:16 AM
You plan Ivan.

Epic incoming. High speed. OVER 9000!!!

Maxico
03-30-2007, 07:53 AM
To see GTA IV in action, on your TV, go buy Table Tennis on 360. Same graphics engine they'll be using, though it's only the humans you'll see. And it's a nifty game to boot, cheaper than Virtua Tennis.

I think there's a slight difference between rendering table tennis and an entire cityscape full of people.

Watching the 780p trailer, the shadows look really jittery, which bugs me.

Otherwise, being unspoilt by fancy next gen games, this looks pretty amazing.

Yamaneko
03-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Is it Liberty City or actually New York 'cause I saw the statue?

It's cool that you play a Russian dude.

Rostum
03-30-2007, 08:16 AM
It looks cool, but I'm not generally into playing those type of games.

Slothy
03-30-2007, 02:40 PM

That's a good question. It could just be a reimagined Liberty City since it was originally based on New York. I seem to recall San Andreas having some somewhat recognizeable landmarks, so maybe they're going for the same thing here.

Maxico
03-30-2007, 02:54 PM

The words 'Liberty City' appear on a bunch of things during the trailer.

JKTrix
03-30-2007, 04:54 PM

I think there's a slight difference between rendering table tennis and an entire cityscape full of people.

What I said was not incorrect, nor was what you said. There is a difference in what has to be done to achieve each thing. However they will likely look the same as far as humans go, and judging from that trailer they do. Russian guy looks like he could have walked straight out of Table Tennis.

Table Tennis was openly shown as a sort of 'tech demo' or warm-up for Rockstar's RAGE graphics engine, the technology they announced that they were using for GTA. The game came out $20 cheaper than most things on the 360, and there aren't many extra features in it. If anything, GTA IV has the potential to look even better than that.

In Table Tennis, the characters move pretty fluidly and their facial animations are quite striking. At least they were striking when it came out in May. Compared to the emotional output of the character models in GTA games prior, it is a huge leap.

So to clarify my original point. If you want to have an idea of how the people in GTA can potentially look and potentially act, play Table Tennis on the 360.

Slothy
03-30-2007, 05:29 PM

What I said was not incorrect, nor was what you said. There is a difference in what has to be done to achieve each thing. However they will likely look the same as far as humans go, and judging from that trailer they do. Russian guy looks like he could have walked straight out of Table Tennis.

Table Tennis was openly shown as a sort of 'tech demo' or warm-up for Rockstar's RAGE graphics engine, the technology they announced that they were using for GTA. The game came out $20 cheaper than most things on the 360, and there aren't many extra features in it. If anything, GTA IV has the potential to look even better than that.

In Table Tennis, the characters move pretty fluidly and their facial animations are quite striking. At least they were striking when it came out in May. Compared to the emotional output of the character models in GTA games prior, it is a huge leap.

So to clarify my original point. If you want to have an idea of how the people in GTA can potentially look and potentially act, play Table Tennis on the 360.

The problem with your statement though is that there's a huge difference between devoting engine and hardware resources to modelling, essentially, just people, and rendering an expansive, living world. The first could easily be made to look a lot better than the latter, but it's not really any more impressive. I haven't seen this Table Tennis game, so I can't really comment much on the visuals, but I can say that just because it runs on the same engine, doesn't mean it would necessarily look anything like GTA IV when it's finished.

I'll take your word for it that the guy in the trailer looked like something out of Table Tennis and assume that in this instance you're correct, but in general, you can't assume two games in vastly different genres will look similar just based on the engine alone.

Cz
03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Not much to go on so far in terms of gameplay, but it certainly looks impressive. I'm liking the look of a larger, more varied Liberty City, but does this mean the story will take place in an alternate universe to the PS2 games? It wouldn't surprise me.

Slothy
03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
I can't see it being necessary to set the story in an alternate universe. I think most people could accept the idea of Liberty City looking a lot different based on the use of newer hardware letting them do more. If anything, I'd prefer it to tie into the last few games in some way, even if it's just familiar names and places, and little nods of the head to long time fans.

Hazzard
03-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I completely get what your saying Vivi22, and i wonder if we'll be seeing a new improved Claude?

Shoeberto
03-31-2007, 06:46 AM
I'm glad that, even with the slew of high-def high-end eye candy, they're still keeping things somewhat cartoony with the character design. I'd hate to see GTA's characters get too realistic.

The trailer is sweet.