PDA

View Full Version : Programing a game

Frozen Phantom
03-31-2007, 02:41 AM
Hello everyone...I guess from the title you can understand why I made this damn thread. I'm planing on making a game soon and I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROGRAM!

So...any suggestions?

Meat Puppet
03-31-2007, 02:45 AM
Learn how to (program).

Crossblades
03-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Learn how to (program).

Yes, by going to a college or an institute

black orb
03-31-2007, 03:40 AM
>>> I dont want to discourage you but you have to be some kind of genius to learn that stuff. and lots of money to pay college or an institute..

I would love to have some programming skills too.. :cry:

Rostum
03-31-2007, 04:08 AM
I wouldn't plan on making a game if you can't program. I'd hate to be a programmer anyways, though I know a little bit here and there.

MecaKane
03-31-2007, 05:19 AM
>>> I dont want to discourage you but you have to be some kind of genius to learn that stuff.
Noooooo you don't. >_>

Roto13
03-31-2007, 05:26 AM
>>> I dont want to discourage you but you have to be some kind of genius to learn that stuff.
Noooooo you don't. >_>
Seriously (http://forums.eyesonff.com/member.php?u=7687)

rubah
03-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Video game programming is not something easy to do nor something that can be picked up in a short span of time. First you have to learn the fundamentals of programming, then learn how to work with graphics, sound, physics, AI, as well as either be able to make your own or get someone to come along and help you make your own media (which means knowing how to make and animate 3D models or 2D sprites, plus being able to create good sound effects and compose music).

If you haven't even started with any fundamentals on anything involving programming or media creation, don't expect to begin making a game "soon." It takes a lot more work than a lot of people want to believe it does.

Mirage
03-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Even if you knew what to do, it would still take a lot of time programming all of it. But yeah, you'll probably need to spend at least a year or two at learning how to program, especially if you're going to do graphical programming.

This is also why game developers hire programmers to work for them. The actual programming is considered the "dirty work" in game industry :p, the big guys just tell them what they want, and then it's their job to make sure the directors and such get what they envision.

Rostum
03-31-2007, 07:33 AM
The actual programming is considered the "dirty work" in game industry :p, the big guys just tell them what they want, and then it's their job to make sure the directors and such get what they envision.

Damn monkeys!:p

Mirage
03-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Code monkeys indeed :p

KentaRawr!
03-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Rom Hacking utilities are your friend.

>_>

Neo-Omega Mk XXV
03-31-2007, 06:41 PM
What rubah said.

I used to have dreams of creating my own games from scratch, but I know better now. Even if you program everything you need (itself an extremely tall order), there's always the little question of the art and sounds/music...
Learn basic programming, and if you (still) want to get program games, you might want to try joining an open-source development team.