PDA

View Full Version : Standby (S3) not working.

Yamaneko
03-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Clean install of Windows. Everything was working like it should been before with the same hardware.

I can get the monitor and HDDs to shutdown in standby, but the fans keep running. I have "suspend to RAM" enabled in bios (no S1 or S3 setting). I have the jumper for S3 set on my mobo. I made sure to not allow my USB mouse to wake the computer from standby since this can't be done in Windows under S3, as far as I know. For the life of me I can't remember what crazy settings I had last time so that everything in the machine would shut down during standby. Any tips?

EDIT: I have ACPI enabled in BIOS too and have all the drivers installed for my mobo (Asus A7N8X-Deluxe).

Odaisé Gaelach
04-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Okay, this is a little confusing (and more annoying!)

Reason:
When you install Windows, it takes the power setting that's in the BIOS and never changes. So if you have S1 set in the BIOS, install Windows, and then set it to S3, Windows will always revert to S1 for standby regardless of the BIOS setting.

*sighs heavily*

So...

Simple solution:
Set your motherboard to S3, and re-install Windows.

Not-so-simple solution:
There is a utility called dumppo.exe, hidden in the darkest corner of Microsoft.com that could help you. Here's a link to it (ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe).

What this is is it's an administrative override for the Windows suspend settings. I can't find any detailed information on it, and I can't test it myself. So from here on in I'm afraid that I'm completely guessing.

I think that this utility will permenantly set Windows suspend to S3. First of all, run it under cmd.exe with these parameters:

dumppo admin /?

This list displays the current sleep states for your computer.

To override the maxsleep state, use one or other of the following parameters:

dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3

dumppo admin maxsleep=S3

Dumpo.exe doesn't have to go anywhere: you can run it from the desktop. I think the latter command just puts the computer in an S3 standby state, whereas the former does the actual override.

Anyway, that's all that I can help you with. You're probably going to have to fiddle around with it yourself. Good luck man.

By the way:
Description of how to enable the S3 system power state for standby when USB devices are armed for wake (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858)

Yamaneko
04-01-2007, 03:46 AM
I've never had to do this before and I've always had suspend to RAM in my bios on.

For some reason Windows was just using the minsleep setting (S1). The max was S4 (hibernation), but I turn that off on a new install. So I set both minsleep and maxsleep to S3. Worked great. Thanks. How'd you know about that app?

Odaisé Gaelach
04-01-2007, 09:36 AM
I've never had to do this before and I've always had suspend to RAM in my bios on.

For some reason Windows was just using the minsleep setting (S1). The max was S4 (hibernation), but I turn that off on a new install. So I set both minsleep and maxsleep to S3. Worked great. Thanks. How'd you know about that app?

Excellent! Glad that you got it working properly. :)

I read about your problem and did a bit of Googling. I found some info on using dumppo and a link to a Microsoft FTP server.

Okay, now please tell me: which one of the dumppo commands I gave you worked? Was it the one with the /ac switch or without it?