PDA

View Full Version : NiGHTS confirmed!

ljkkjlcm9
04-02-2007, 12:25 AM
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13255

A Portuguese magazine confirms the long-standing rumor -- Sega's NiGHTS is back, and it's exclusive to Wii.

Although not a hugely successful game, NiGHTS into Dreams for the Sega Saturn is a certifiable cult hit in the video game world. For nearly a decade, rumors have swirled about a possible sequel, and Sonic Team is finally making it happen on Nintendo's Wii system.

Portuguese magazine Maxi Comforted has a feature article about the game, including the first screenshots and an interview with one of the game's developers, Takeshi Iizuka. Due to the language barrier, we're still unclear on some of the details, and obviously Sega is still reserving much information until later. Here is what we can glean so far:

* The game uses a similar graphical style as the original NiGHTS -- colorful and fanciful.
* NiGHTS (a flying clown-like character who inhabits people's dreams) is still the main character. There may be other playable characters, but Iizuka is vague on that topic.
* The gameplay seems to be much like the Saturn original, centered around flying through 3D environments. There will be new aerobatic moves, though.
* Some type of motion control is obviously involved, but the true nature of the game's controls are still under wraps.
* New modes include a two-player mode and some kind of online feature. The article seems to indicate that episodic, downloadable content will include new levels such as the Christmas NiGHTS game once delivered to Phantasy Star Online players.

The magazine article mentions that Sega will officially announce the NiGHTS sequel in early April, so stay tuned for new details very soon.

Hurray! (for those who didn't know)

Let's discuss our hopes for this game here!

THE JACKEL

Rostum
04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Please don't hurt me, I never saw this game in Australia. So how does it play and what is it about?

Dreddz
04-02-2007, 02:12 AM
I guess this is kinda good, but I wont be able to buy it as I dont own a Wii, and dont plan to anytime soon. Maybe sometime down the road Ill fork out and buy one, if this game turns out good though. I dont see how Sega can botch this up other than messing up the controls with the Wii remote. If its anything close to how great the first game was, Ill definately be looking into this.

Elite Lord Sigma
04-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Let's hope this isn't a crappy April Fool's Joke.

Lynx
04-02-2007, 05:28 AM
awesome the other nights game was fun i even had the rare christmas nights with a whopping 2 stages in it.

should be fun for wii too

Mirage
04-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Why is this game of more significance than other 2d platformers?

Lynx
04-02-2007, 05:38 AM

because of its super fun gameplay and awesome music of course

Dreddz
04-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Let's hope this isn't a crappy April Fool's Joke.

NiGHTS for the Wii was confirmed two weeks ago, so I doubt that happening.

CimminyCricket
04-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Didn't Roto already make a thread about this?

Meat Puppet
04-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Nobody believed him.

Maxico
04-02-2007, 10:08 AM

There are no platforms! :monocle:

Also I guess this belongs here

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1685/nightswiiqu0.jpg

He's wearing a frilly shirt and pretending to play an invisible flute, which is about as flamboyant as you can get.

Nights 2 will be the number one flamboyancy sim of 2007!

Also this has been about the dozenth NiGHTS related thread in the last month or so. Nice to see that so many people hold NiGHTS in such regard, through the 6 people that actually played it.

Rostum
04-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Is this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvLdIylY40

Because, I don't really see the huge hype about it. >.>; Though I could see a remake or sequel being fun on the Wii.

KentaRawr!
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
If this ends up being ANYTHING like the NiGHTS mini-game I downloaded on my GBA when I still played PSO, it's officially awesome.

XxSephirothxX
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/04/nightsss.jpg

NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/02/nights-journey-of-dreams-confirmed-for-wii-this-winter/)
We've got a subtitle.

I'm definitely stoked for this. Really makes me want to play the original again. It's been like 8 or 9 years since I last did, probably. :p Hopefully Sega can pull a miracle and actually make a good game.

Roto13
04-02-2007, 05:32 PM
SCREENSHOTS (http://www.jeux-france.com/news19769_nights-wii-premieres-images.html)

(Well, scans. :P)

Maxico
04-02-2007, 07:54 PM
It's kinda ugly to be honest. Even by last gens standards.

I'm a little disappointed.

Madame Adequate
04-02-2007, 11:19 PM
The beauty is in the movement and music.

Discord
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
I guess it's better than it looks.:p

Maxico
04-03-2007, 12:48 AM
The beauty is in the movement and music.

I know, but that was before Sonic Team sucked and used Crush 40 in their soundtracks.

I remain sceptical and things like those photo textured fish serve to further scare me.

Please don't screw this up.

XxSephirothxX
04-03-2007, 01:53 AM
I think games generally look pretty crappy in screenshots, in comparison to how they look in motion. Still, it's not like the Wii is a graphical powerhouse. Hopefully it'll at least look different and have a solid framerate.

Roto13
04-03-2007, 02:47 AM
The environments still seem to be colourful and stylized. That was a selling point of the original.

Dreddz
04-03-2007, 02:16 PM
The visuals look pretty poor to what they could of been. Im not going to rant about this game not being on the other consoles, but if this game was on one of the other two it could look so much better. Still, this is the first game I think could be really great on the Wii, so im not going to complain much.

JKTrix
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Speaking of Envirionments...

NiGHTS is going to link with the Wii Forecast channel to affect seasons in-game. Sega is releasing more information on the game's features.

http://www.seganerds.com/2007/04/04/new-nights-info

I heard about some baseball game for the Wii a while back using the Forecast Channel to affect in-game weather as well. Cool to see a non-gaming app on the Wii being used for in-game effects.

Fonzie
04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Is it that great of a game? I might just be ignorant then. :mog:

Madame Adequate
04-04-2007, 04:43 PM

NiGHTS is going to link with the Wii Forecast channel to affect seasons in-game. Sega is releasing more information on the game's features.

I heard about some baseball game for the Wii a while back using the Forecast Channel to affect in-game weather as well. Cool to see a non-gaming app on the Wii being used for in-game effects.

I was wondering when someone was going to do something like this! I was thinking of it with Madden '06 on the 360, because you can play at your local time there. I never thought it would be too much of a stretch to just link up with The Weather Channel or something and be able to play with either your local conditions, or the conditions at the stadium you're at.

Roto13
04-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I bet Dragon Nights is going to look awesome.

Maxico
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
So, living in London, I will play a version of NiGHTS with nothing but grey, overcast skies?

Discord
04-06-2007, 02:42 PM
So, living in London, I will play a version of NiGHTS with nothing but grey, overcast skies?

There are sunny days in London... once every few decades...

Well, just think about it this way: If you wake up in the morning and somebody in your household says, "Isn't it pretty outside?", you answer, "Yes, mom, just the right time to play NiGHTS!". Unbeatable argument really.

bipper
04-06-2007, 04:20 PM

I was wondering when someone was going to do something like this! I was thinking of it with Madden '06 on the 360, because you can play at your local time there. I never thought it would be too much of a stretch to just link up with The Weather Channel or something and be able to play with either your local conditions, or the conditions at the stadium you're at.

I had about the same thoughs. Fricken sweet, and something finally a little innovation comming out from the wii.

Maxico
04-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I had about the same thoughs. Fricken sweet, and something finally a little innovation comming out from the wii.

Innovation? Black and White was doing this in 2001.

At least, that was a promised feature. I can't remember if that made it into the final game, or if that was just typical Monoleux rambling.

Regardless, it's a pretty old concept.

ljkkjlcm9
04-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Innovation? Black and White was doing this in 2001.

At least, that was a promised feature. I can't remember if that made it into the final game, or if that was just typical Monoleux rambling.

Regardless, it's a pretty old concept.

not only that, Capcom had Solar Boy Django with an actual light sensor on the cartridge to affect gameplay and stuff. Pokemon had a real time clock which would change from night to day. This is basically just the next step.

THE JACKEL

bipper
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I take it you did not catch the sarcasm :D

Maxico
04-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet. :(

bipper
04-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Applogies :) I tied to make it obvious when I was saying it is about time the wii got innovative

ljkkjlcm9
04-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Applogies :) I tied to make it obvious when I was saying it is about time the wii got innovative

sarcasm again?

THE JACKEL

Shiny
04-06-2007, 09:42 PM
YAAAY! But, I don't have the Wii yet so that sucks.

Discord
04-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet. :(

It's not always just the internet that causes it t fail.:p