PDA

View Full Version : Is Linkin Park Emo?

Gullick
04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
This may have been asked before here...maybe even by me but i forgot so here it is again. Linkin Park are bringing out a new album in early May (minutes to midnight), hearing about that ive been thinking it over again. Is Linkin Park emo?
To me, they seem to be right on the edge. They have some emo lyrics but they dont say them just to be emo, you can actuallly relate to quite a few things in thier songs.
So anyways, point of this thread: are Linkin Park emo?

Jebus
04-02-2007, 10:26 PM
CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

In other words, yes.

Hazzard
04-02-2007, 10:30 PM
No, he's just emotional.

Ryth
04-02-2007, 10:31 PM
The whiny, annoying lyrics are terrible enough to make them incredibly emo, despite the fact they resemble a nu-metal group in style. I'm voting no though, when it comes right down to it, they aren't emo.

IIIII BEECCOOOOMEEE SOOO NUMBBBBBB
I CAAAN'T FEEELLL YOUUU THEEEERE

Mr.Bogus
04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

In other words, yes.

I have to agree with Sir Jebus here...it seems that a large part of the Linkin Park lyrics turn around...inner feelings of fear,anger,and so on...

Still i enjoy some of their music.

Zeldy
04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
yes.

Roto13
04-02-2007, 10:36 PM
God yes.

Goldenboko
04-02-2007, 10:36 PM
No, listen to songs other then Crawling, Crawling is the only true emo song they have.

Jowy
04-02-2007, 10:37 PM
No, listen to songs other then Crawling, Crawling is the only true emo song they have.

I'M JUST ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE EDGE AND I'M ABOUT TO BREAK!

^_^;

MecaKane
04-02-2007, 10:43 PM

^_^;
I've becooooooome so nuuuuuuuuuuuuumb

I wouldn't say one step closer is really 'emo', in the 'pussy-boy rock' sense, it has emotion, but that emotion is anger.

But yes, Linkin Park is pretty much pussy-boy rock, it was the bomb :skull::skull::skull::skull:s when I was 17 though.

NeoCracker
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM

^_^;

Thats about snapping though, and agression is very anti-emo.

Rye
04-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Is Loony BoB obsessed with statistics?

ReloadPsi
04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I always kinda got the impression they pre-dated the emo fad. Most of their songs bring out violent thoughts in me though, not sad ones. I love them all the same.

TyphoonThaReapa
04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
They emo. They don't suck, but they emo...

oddler
04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
You are all emo. :choc2:

Tavrobel
04-02-2007, 11:12 PM
No, but damn near close to it, this they might as well be emo.

Madame Adequate
04-02-2007, 11:23 PM
I always kinda got the impression they pre-dated the emo fad. Most of their songs bring out violent thoughts in me though, not sad ones. I love them all the same.

They predated the fad, yes, but by the fad's standards they are entirely emo. By the standards of the old meaning of the word, they aren't even close - listen to Indian Summer or Antioch Arrow and you'll see what I mean.

Griff
04-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Some of their songs are emo (crawling, numb, in the end), some are angry (one step closer, a place for my head, don't stay), and some are just there and to fall into a single emotion (pushing me away, points of authority, dedicated). They don't fall into a specific clique, and that is why so many people love them, and alternatively why so many people hate them...

Araciel
04-03-2007, 01:17 AM
since people define what EMO is differently, i have no idea so i flipped a coin...it landed heads so i clicked yes.

Momiji
04-03-2007, 02:46 AM
I think it depends. They're emo enough for me to like, but they just don't seem to be emo, really.

bipper
04-03-2007, 02:49 AM

They predated the fad, yes, but by the fad's standards they are entirely emo. By the standards of the old meaning of the word, they aren't even close - listen to Indian Summer or Antioch Arrow and you'll see what I mean.

I coulda sworn the fad is dated back to the days of Suicidal Tenancies?

Bunny
04-03-2007, 02:52 AM
Nah, they are just bad.

escobert
04-03-2007, 02:55 AM
My mom is emo.

Shoeberto
04-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Their lyrics are emo and crap. I can appreciate the music behind them, though.

Black Mage FF1
04-03-2007, 03:13 AM
I agree that they suck. But they are not emo. If you want to know what emo is then look here

http://fourfa.com/

NeoCracker
04-03-2007, 05:13 AM
They are hardly Emo. A few songs yes. Noteably Crawling.

However listen to songs like Somewhere I belong and breaking the Habit. They may be about negative emotions, but also about rising up and overcoming the negative and bettering yourself. Hardly An Emo song.

Shoeberto
04-03-2007, 05:31 AM
If you want to know what emo is then look here

"This site is intended to be a basic FAQ and primer on emo - short for 'emotional.'"
If it's supposed to be a compendium for what emo is, they should at least actually know what it's short for.

Shiny
04-03-2007, 05:56 AM
More so nu-metal than emo.

Rostum
04-03-2007, 06:07 AM
I would say a few of their songs are emo, nothing compared to something like Nickleback though. Either way they both suck.

Black Mage FF1
04-03-2007, 06:43 AM

"This site is intended to be a basic FAQ and primer on emo - short for 'emotional.'"
If it's supposed to be a compendium for what emo is, they should at least actually know what it's short for.

Umm that is what is stands for. Either that or emotionally-charged punk rock.

Germ Hamee
04-03-2007, 08:28 AM

lmao XD

I voted yes. I really like their music, but their lyrics are atrocious enough that I'm actually embarassed to listen to them around other people -- or even admit that I own either of the albums, for that matter.

Slade
04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Alot of their lyrics have emotional themes, but I wouldn't class them as 'emo'. Especially when they come under the 'nu-metal' genre. So basically it's just their lyrics that are 'emo', not their music.

escobert
04-03-2007, 03:03 PM

lmao XD

I voted yes. I really like their music, but their lyrics are atrocious enough that I'm actually embarassed to listen to them around other people -- or even admit that I own either of the albums, for that matter.

yeah.

Shoeberto
04-03-2007, 03:40 PM

Umm that is what is stands for. Either that or emotionally-charged punk rock.
In the origins of the genre, emo was short for "emotive."

Black Mage FF1
04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes, and do you know what emotive is also called? Emotional Expressions. So it pretty much means the exact same thing.

Moon Rabbits
04-03-2007, 05:57 PM
More so nu-metal than emo.

Or electronica with bad lyrics.

yanis
04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
What's wrong with the lyrics? I prefer bad lyrics (I don't say linkin have), than bad music!!!

bipper
04-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes, and do you know what emotive is also called? Emotional Expressions. So it pretty much means the exact same thing.

So you are both right. Congrats.

Alot of their lyrics have emotional themes, but I wouldn't class them as 'emo'. Especially when they come under the 'nu-metal' genre. So basically it's just their lyrics that are 'emo', not their music.
I completely agree with this.

blim
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
I have no idea if they are emo or not but they do suck.

Gaius Drakan
04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't think they're emo, but I prefer to listen to their music rather than their lyrics.

SapphireBlue*
04-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I love Linkin Park...I don't think they're completely emo...Because some of they're lyrics are just angry and only like 3 of them are 'emo'. Anywayz...Everytime I listen to them I don't get sad or anything, in fact...I get angry, lol I like listening to them. It makes me mad :p
Compared to My Chemical Romance and Nickelback, Linkin Park is not emo...

I can't wait for LP's new album! ^-^

Momiji
04-05-2007, 02:48 AM
I love Linkin Park...I don't think they're completely emo...Because some of they're lyrics are just angry and only like 3 of them are 'emo'. Anywayz...Everytime I listen to them I don't get sad or anything, in fact...I get angry, lol I like listening to them. It makes me mad :p

Nickelback isn't..um...they aren't emo.

41-Inches-Wide
04-05-2007, 03:44 AM
I thought they were New Wave!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-06-2007, 12:42 AM
No, Linkin Park isn't emo...........at least not in the razorblade romance kind of way.

Ryth
04-06-2007, 01:13 AM

While terrible and annoyingly angsty, I agree that Nickelback isn't emo. =/

Albel
04-06-2007, 01:26 AM
I think there very close to being emo, but not quite there.

Doomie
04-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Nope. The guy just sings from the heart. I like Linkin Park not only because their songs are great, but because the guy's voice has so much range, especially for a rocker.

SapphireBlue*
04-06-2007, 04:05 AM
Nope. The guy just sings from the heart. I like Linkin Park not only because their songs are great, but because the guy's voice has so much range, especially for a rocker.

I agree!

Rostum
04-06-2007, 04:09 AM

My girlfriend's friend is really into Nickleback and from what I've heard it's incredibly emo and full of stupid. And Linkin Park's singer doesn't have that much range, he's not a very good singer...

Mirage
04-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Wounds won't heal etc.

Markus. D
04-06-2007, 05:41 AM
I would say a few of their songs are emo, nothing compared to something like Nickleback though. Either way they both suck.

bassically what he said.

only a few of the songs are emo.

~_~; I like one of Linkin Parks Songs xD

Yliette
04-06-2007, 05:56 AM
No. They're not emo. The lyrics may be emo-ish but the music isn't. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were considered Nu Metal.

Chester Bennington explained that the sound of Minutes to Midnight will have the nu metal element discarded. The album will be a mixture of punk, classic rock and hip hop beats. The howling and growling will also be abolished. Their first single What I've Done was pretty good! Makes me want to buy the album!

Additionally Minutes to Midnight will also be the first Linkin Park album to have the Parental Advisory: Explicit Content warning.

Source: Wikipedia, Minutes to Midnight (album) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minutes_to_Midnight_%28album%29)

Breine
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I've never thought of Linkin Park as being an emo band, but just a rock band with very similar songs. But, now that I think about it and think about their lyrics one could easily call them emo.

bipper
04-06-2007, 02:50 PM
No, Linkin Park isn't emo...........at least not in the razorblade romance kind of way.

razorblade romance... lol - you get much love for that.

I would like to point out that if a song did not potray emotional lyrics, we would only have techno. There is a reason that songs have emotiional trhough put in em.

Plus I think chesters through with pueberty, which makes them 50% less emo right there.

Crushed Hope
04-06-2007, 03:53 PM
This thread is disgusting.

Linkin Park has nothing to do with emotive hardcore, so OBVIOUSLY they are not emo. Nothing more than generic :skull::skull::skull::skull: nu-metal.

bipper
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
No, the afterbirth of a baby elephant is discusting; this thread is just fine. I guess it is just using a real example as to the old question, "Where to draw the line for Emo?"

Ryth
04-06-2007, 05:06 PM

My girlfriend's friend is really into Nickleback and from what I've heard it's incredibly emo and full of stupid. And Linkin Park's singer doesn't have that much range, he's not a very good singer...

They're a post-grunge band, they don't really have an emo sound to them outside of the lyrics.

Rostum
04-06-2007, 11:35 PM

They're a post-grunge band, they don't really have an emo sound to them outside of the lyrics.

They're pop/rock, and since when can't pop/rock be emo? Have you actually listened to their lyrics? They are a horrible band either way, and so is Linkin Park.

Please people, go listen to some real music.

yanis
04-07-2007, 12:26 AM

They're pop/rock, and since when can't pop/rock be emo? Have you actually listened to their lyrics? They are a horrible band either way, and so is Linkin Park.

Nickelback and Linkin Park are different for me. Well you could say that they're both rock, but it's not the same.
And everything is just a matter of taste! Their music is real for me!!!

Black Mage FF1
04-07-2007, 02:25 AM

As opposed to fake music, right?

Rostum
04-07-2007, 03:57 AM

I used the term 'real' in the sense of 'good' music. :p

bipper
04-07-2007, 04:11 AM

As opposed to bad music, right?

Black Mage FF1
04-07-2007, 04:29 AM

haha yeah I knew what you meant. I was just given you a hard time.

Seriously though. I agree that LP and NB suck, but you have to realize that music taste is subjective. Telling people what they like to listen to is bad and that they should listen to what you like is ridiculous. :cool:

Rostum
04-07-2007, 04:44 AM

Seriously though. I agree that LP and NB suck, but you have to realize that music taste is subjective. Telling people what they like to listen to is bad and that they should listen to what you like is ridiculous. :cool:

Yeah, you are right, I was just being a smartass. But still... ;)

bipper
04-07-2007, 02:37 PM

As opposed to dumb ass, right?

Crushed Hope
04-07-2007, 03:49 PM
No, the afterbirth of a baby elephant is discusting; this thread is just fine. I guess it is just using a real example as to the old question, "Where to draw the line for Emo?"

But ... there is no "where" to draw the line. The line is already drawn. If the band isn't "emotive" hardcore - they're not emo (unless you want to accept the second wave "emo indie rock" bands like Sunny Day Real Estate and the like, which I personally don't.)

Hazzard
04-07-2007, 04:14 PM
God no!!!
Linkin Park is far from Emo, they just have such passion and maybe draw to the line of despair in some of their tracks. But you see, that's what i like about them--they speak the truth and kind of make you feel stronger within with their music. The instuments come in perfect time with the rapper and the singer. It's just very organized and shouldn't be claimed as 'Emo', just because they don't always have their lyrics being Happy.

For example, if you want Emo then listen to a track from Chemical Romance.

Pure Strife
04-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Is it me or is Chester really looking like a bad Trent Reznor wannabe in the new video?

Anyway, no, they aren't emo. Since when did metal have to contain lyrics about drugs, booze, fighting, women, or in Carcass's case something closely resembling an autopsy report? Sure, a few of the lines are outright dire, but they can write a decent hook and generally come out with some pretty inoffensive heavy pop-rock. I think the rapping is largely useless these days, but that's just personal tast.

Crushed Hope
04-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Is it me or is Chester really looking like a bad Trent Reznor wannabe in the new video?

Anyway, no, they aren't emo. Since when did metal have to contain lyrics about drugs, booze, fighting, women, or in Carcass's case something closely resembling an autopsy report? Sure, a few of the lines are outright dire, but they can write a decent hook and generally come out with some pretty inoffensive heavy pop-rock. I think the rapping is largely useless these days, but that's just personal tast.

:lol: @ calling Linkin Park metal.

Momiji
04-07-2007, 06:36 PM
God no!!!
Linkin Park is far from Emo, they just have such passion and maybe draw to the line of despair in some of their tracks. But you see, that's what i like about them--they speak the truth and kind of make you feel stronger within with their music. The instuments come in perfect time with the rapper and the singer. It's just very organized and shouldn't be claimed as 'Emo', just because they don't always have their lyrics being Happy.

For example, if you want Emo then listen to a track from Chemical Romance.

Technically, My Chemical Romance isn't really emo either. More like a pop-punk mixed with a decent guitarist and mediocre vocals with nice lyrics. Maybe some songs can qualify as 'emo', but they've got nothing on other emo-ish bands like Bright Eyes or Dashboard Confessional.

EDIT: Yes, I know Bright Eyes isn't emo, but Conor Oberst's lyrics and his way of singing them sure resemble it.

Rostum
04-08-2007, 12:45 AM

As opposed to dumb ass, right?

What are you, 12 years old? Are you just trying to start something?

Leeza
04-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Omecle, your post was not necessary. Bipper, yours definitely was not necessary.

Everyone please get back on topic and respect each other's opinions.

psyniac_123
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Only that wanna-be emo crap "Qwerty", otherwise NO.