PDA

View Full Version : Salika Wood Issues

Lady Ashe
04-04-2007, 12:55 AM
The "King Bomb" located in this area is frustrating to defeat, not as much as some of the bosses, yet still quite a tricky opponent, with 'calling for help' and casting Oil. Everyone in my party is in the lower 30 level range(except for Vann(25) and Penelo(26)), Ashe the highest at 33. Any weapon/Item prefrences for this point in the game and so on would be nice to hear, also ways to obtain gill or decent selling 'Loot'. I thought the Ice lance might be something convinient, I want to know what you all think though.

Another quick mention, I am really confused about how to gain attacks like Holy and, Arcane/Time/Green Magic because though I 've bought them at shops and gained the required licence, they are still darkend on the battle menus ><.

Dynast-Kid
04-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Sounds to me like you might need to just level up some more. Your levels seem too low, especially Vaan and Penelo. And Flame Shields help out in the King Bomb battle.

As for the second question, the only explanation I can come up with is that you don't have enough MP whenever you try to cast thsoe spells.

Xurts
04-04-2007, 01:10 AM
The King Bomb is a pain in the ass. Equip a Gambit for using Handkerchiefs so you can get rid of the Oil status. Make sure to get rid of the mini-bombs with Blizzara when King Bomb calls for them. Then just use physical attacks. Keeping Shell on everyone would be a good idea. King Bomb has a really annoying habit of restoring his HP when it gets low. You're best bet there is to blast him with a couple Quickening chains when he starts getting low on HP and hope that kills him.

Hazzard
04-04-2007, 01:51 AM
Level up everyone to around 35-40 and then it will prove easier.

Icerose2300
04-04-2007, 03:41 AM
I agree with the Flame Shields a must have! Any weapon with Ice element may make it easier also, I went in there at a level 35, I think and knocked him down about 1/2 way then brought in a fresh party and hit him with a really good quickening chain. Good Luck.

Shiva_
04-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Bomb King is weak against water element, not ice element, although he's vulnerable to it. Weak and vulnerable aren't the same thing.
Weak means a foe takes 1.5x damage of a given element.
Vulnerable means a foe takes normal (1.0x) damage of a given element.
1/2 simply means a foe takes 50% damage of a given element.
IMMUNE means a foe is immune to that given element and won't get effected at all by it.
ABSORB means a foe essentially gets healed by that given element.

The "King Bomb" located in this area is frustrating to defeat, not as much as some of the bosses, yet still quite a tricky opponent, with 'calling for help' and casting Oil. Everyone in my party is in the lower 30 level range(except for Vann(25) and Penelo(26)), Ashe the highest at 33. Any weapon/Item prefrences for this point in the game and so on would be nice to hear, also ways to obtain gill or decent selling 'Loot'. I thought the Ice lance might be something convinient, I want to know what you all think though.

This boss isn't required to defeat in order to progress through the game. Instead, you're supposed to go all the way east to the gate and talk with the moogles. They will tell you what to do.
If you're going to the area west to obtain the Zodiac Spear pretty early, then you do have to defeat him.

I would level everyone to the mid 30's at least because the enemies in the next area on will be tougher.

If you want to take on that boss again (or come back later to try again) after leveling up, then some equipment you need are Adament Hats and/or Adament Vests. These can be bought from Mosphoran Highwaste. Also, Flame Shields are good as someone suggested above. They can be bought from several areas such as Nalbina. Either of those for each character as they 1/2 fire damage. Then, make sure you bring three 3 Gillie Boots so you can prevent that Oil status effect.
Then, for weapons, any one with a water-element component can be useful. The Murasame (a katana) and Miter (a mace) are ones with an affinity for water. The Bomb King is weak against water. Your ally with the mace should use a Flame Shield as well and mystic armor. Your katana user should have any Adament gear. Those two weapons and armor can be purchased in the next area.

In the battle, make sure you have Ally:Any > Handkerchief gambits (if you have Gillie Boots to protect from oil, you won't really need those). Keep everyone in Shell, Protect, and Haste. Have everyone in Bubble status as well as high HP is important for the battle (you have to be at a certain clan rank to be able to buy the Bubble spell). Make sure you have a good stock of Phoenix Downs as well.

If you are at a high enough clan rank and are able to purchase a Nihopalaoa, get one from the Bazaar shop as well. It enables healing items to do the opposite of what they're supposed to do. For example, Remedies, depending on the License lores you have for them and an enemy's susceptibility to various status effects, can cause up to every status effect in the game.

1) Right when you enter the room to begin the fight, Bomb King will lunge right at you. Leave right away.
2) Then buff everyone up.
3) Re-Enter and then kill all of the other bombs. After you do this, then leave again and heal at the crystal. The bombs will not automatically come back if you leave. Before you re-enter, equip your leader with the Nihopalaoa.
4) Once you re-enter again, toss a remedy at the Bomb King using your character that has the Nihopalaoa equipped. This should inflict him with many status effects.
5) Two of the status effects the Bomb King will get are Silence and Disease. With Silence he won't be able to call for more Bombs. With the Disease state, he won't be able to use Renew to get his health back to full. These should make the battle go a whole lot more easier.
6) If you aren't able to get a hold of the Nihopalaoa soon enough, just have someone cast Silence on the Bomb King until it sticks so he won't call for more Bombs. During the battle, he will use Renew a couple times or so but will eventually stop. Take it slow, and he will go down.

Another quick mention, I am really confused about how to gain attacks like Holy and, Arcane/Time/Green Magic because though I 've bought them at shops and gained the required licence, they are still darkend on the battle menus ><.

Holy isn't available until much later.

Have you used your acquired license points to activate the License square(s) for any given Arcane, Time, Green magick(s) for whatever character you want to have them. The proper square(s) have to be activated for them to be usable.

Hazzard
04-04-2007, 12:04 PM
As usual. A very thorough and detailed explanation by Shiva_!
I just used the basic tactic and used raw skill; it was stressful but sooner or later i was gonna beat him. I could feel it. The only thing that pissed me off was when he used Renew and made me have to waste so much Phoneix Downs on him.

But i made it back when i sold some loot and racked up 50 of them!!!!

true cloud
04-04-2007, 02:00 PM
you all kinda over complacated it,i just find speneding money on fl/S and guile boots is money that could be spent better,first take out his minions, exit and heal yourself then renter,cast scilence on him untill he is afficted(this stops cry for help and fira,sadly it does not stop renew)if there are any normal bombs left take them out and then buff one of your party with bravery+beserk+haste and bubble if you have it.when you get him down to about half health he will run around like he is casting cry for help but he is unable so he just floats around now you hit him with your quickinings,dont be worried about time because it will take him about ten seconds after he starts fleeing to cast renew,maybe its just me but that 4000+gil is quite alot to me maybe because i never bother to train and just fight marks and advance trough the story

might be best to follow shivas advice but i doubt anybody from lvl30-35 will be able to afford the Nihopalaoa

Rostum
04-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, just level up to 40, get some decent gear and set your gambits accordingly (pretty much standard, but a handkerchief to cure oil status is recommended). Kill all the little bombs, but leave one, otherwise he just starts spawning them heaps.

You'll find his HP drops fairly quickly with a party of level 40. Though he always seems to do Renew, which is a pain. So instead of just getting his HP low over and over again, hit him with a quickening chain.

Hazzard
04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
The problem with me as that i use quickenings at the start of the battle. That's why it took me so long to beat the Fat Bomb.
Then i realized about his whole Renew thing he was doing, and then pounded down on him without using any quickenings. When i got him low level, i saw he was about to cry for help but then Mr BASCH VON ROSENBURG killed him.

Spawn of Sephiroth
04-04-2007, 05:15 PM
The problem with me as that i use quickenings at the start of the battle. That's why it took me so long to beat the Fat Bomb.
Then i realized about his whole Renew thing he was doing, and then pounded down on him without using any quickenings. When i got him low level, i saw he was about to cry for help but then Mr BASCH VON ROSENBURG killed him.

Thats exactly what i do in boss fights, i instantly use as many quickenings as i can

McLovin'
04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
The bomb is hard at low levels. Get to 45 or 50. It will be waaay easier.

Hazzard
04-04-2007, 07:43 PM

Thats really over doing it. The next boss battles will be finished in a matter of seconds if you're around those levels, so early in the game.

Xurts
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Thats really over doing it. The next boss battles will be finished in a matter of seconds if you're around those levels, so early in the game.
Yeah, 30-35 is plenty for taking him down. It's just his HP restore trick that makes it frustrating.