PDA

View Full Version : Is a freaking sandwich fast food?

Strider
04-04-2007, 08:07 AM
From the creator of THIS (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=103831) thread...

My mom and I were having this discussion earlier this afternoon. I'm asking these two questions because I gave up fast food for Lent, the period between Ash Wednesday and Easter, and I've been pretty good about it. I haven't been anyplace with a drive-thru, but there is a sandwich place near my work that I love.

Some of my fellow Californians might recognize the name Port of Subs... or not. It's better than Subway, in my opinion, and the sandwiches there have helped me lose about 30 pounds in the last few months. I've gone there a few times during Lent, because I figure a sandwich can't be fast food. I mean, come on, it's a freaking sandwich and I make it healthy for me with whole wheat bread and light mustard and fresh veggies (at least the ones I like) and everything. Can it count as fast food if it's good for you?

Anyway, my mom's on the other side of the fence on this one. She claims that going to a sandwich shop does count as consuming fast food, so I'm going to you guys with this once again. Who's right this time?

Miriel
04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Dude, congrats on losing the weight. The whole subway/sandwich pseudo diet doesn't seem to be working for me since I eat subway like every freakin' day. I think it might be because I throw in the occassional (... or frequent) brownie/carribbean passion/gushers into the mix. :o

Anyway, I think you're a bit confused about what the definition of FAST FOOD is. Basically, fast food is any food that is available... fast.

I think when you're thinking about is JUNK food which a lot of the time, fast food falls into that category as well. But places like Subway, Quiznos, Port of Subs are all fast food places, but they're not junk food.

Maybe you should revise your lent thing to be junk food rather than fast food.

Agrias
04-04-2007, 08:28 AM
subway is the healthiest fast food out there. i love it! :D

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I've never eaten food from Subway. Last year I was living up in the Halls with all cooked meals included. After having a hearty breakfast I would walk pass this Subway store and the stuffy smell of what smelt like pizza would put me right off.

Tip: It doesn't feel quite right walking into a Subway on a full stomach

Zeldy
04-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't say a sandwich you've made yourself is fast food, but one you pick up sealed in a shop is.

Subway = <3 I had a 12" Hearty Italien chicken and cheese yesterday. It was yum! :]

Sergeant Hartman
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
I've never had any food from Subway and it looks so good :(
People say I haven't lived.

Bunny
04-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Subway is digusting. You're okay, Strider. Keep on keepin' on.

Fonzie
04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Subway is digusting delicious. You're okay, Strider. Keep on keepin' on.

Fixed.

No.78
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Sandwiches aren't fast food

Bunny
04-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Subway is digusting delicious. You're okay, Strider. Keep on keepin' on.

Fixed.

I'm pretty sure you are very wrong.

Peegee
04-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Miriel, aside from not putting in ....gushers into your subs..okay jkjk, but aside from eating junk, you have to eat the low-fat, low calorie subway subs to lose weight.

And I think you have to limit yourself to the 6 inch subs too.

I've done the 'eat very little every day' diet. Coupled with 'swim in the swimming pool for 3 laps'. I lost weight. It works ^_^

ps: now I wanna put gushers into a sammich. Geez thanks

oddler
04-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Sandwiches can be fast food, ya.

What makes Subway disgusting, Bunny? It's freaking awesome!

boris no no
04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Sandwichs arn't fast food
Although they're not really that good for you. I mean, I only really eat peanut butter and jam, or cheese ones. Not really all that healthy

Agent Proto
04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Homemade sandwiches aren't fast food. :D

Ouch!
04-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Potbelly's > Subway

Breine
04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, it doesn't take that long to make a sandwich, so I guess you basically can call it "fast food" if you'd like to. I wouldn't categorize it as that, though, because in my book fast food is something greasy and generally unhealthy. Y'know, like french fries, burgers and nasty/delicious stuff like that.

Shoeberto
04-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Fast food has become colloquialized to be synonymous with junky, greasy fatty foods, which isn't necessarily true.

So you should definitely revise your lent offering to "junky, greasy, fatty foods" instead of fast food. A turkey sandwich on rye bread with lots of veggies is hardly along the same lines of a Big Mac.

No.78
04-04-2007, 11:33 PM
If a sandwich is a fast food it is not a sandwich.

scrumpleberry
04-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Depends how long you take on the sandwich, how carefully it is prepared and the quality. Slapping a bit of spread and ham on some hunks of white bread is, but a subway extra mega supa doopa paratrooper special isn't.

:)

Zeromus_X
04-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Well, I'd say it depends on how you prepare your sandwich. In your case, I wouldn't say it's junk food.