PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed

Diango12
04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Prince of Persia is back!.. err wait not quiet :D

Ubisoft is finaly coming out with the long anticipated new game called Assassins Creed.

Assassin's Creed: is currently in development by Ubisoft Montreal slated for release in late 2007. The game takes place during the Third Crusade, exact year 1191. The gamer plays as a member of the arabian assassin sect Hashashin known as Altaïr (الطائر, Arabic, "The flying" eagle), whose objective is to assassinate the nine historical figures who are propagating the Crusades, and the suffering of the people. As the gamer finds and kills these targets, their conspiracy is unveiled. The player will be able to travel through three cities, Jerusalem, Acre, and Damascus.

This game is almost to the likeness of prince of persia, I can't wait this is going to be awesome.

Clip One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOk5j-iGuTM)
Clips Two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-ClutaN_I)

Jowy
04-04-2007, 10:02 PM
But this game isn't an accurate historical representation of how the Altair performed!

Spammerman
04-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Umm, I thought they were Muslim.

Diango12
04-05-2007, 12:00 AM
They are but the assassin's were a sect of islam and appreantly not only fought invading christian armies but also the sultan/caliph(?). I don’t know I never really studied medieval history only antiquity.

But who cares this is going to be great I loved the Prince of Persia series I can't wait to play onther badass

Spammerman
04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I read about it in GameInformer, its gonna kick a serious amount of ass.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I've been enthused about this for awhile, but that gameplay trailer looked totally great, so now I can't wait for it :D

Dreddz
04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Im not really a fan of what Ubisoft did with the Prince of Persia series, so Im not stoked for Assasins Creed yet, but some of the stuff they showed in the gameplay does look pretty neat.

Croyles
04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
This game has been announced ages ago, so ive been waiting for ages :(. It looks really innovative. Yuo can climb anything that sticks out more than a milimeter apparently.

Diango12
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Ok me being the historical sap I am had to delve into the "Historical accuracy" subject, what a surprise.

Anyway, searching around the internet I found out his real name which is Altair Ibn'La-Ahad which roughly translates into Altair, Son of None(?). I'm not a student of Arabic so if this is a mistake please do correct me.

Next is the interesting assumption about his weapon of choice; the concealed dagger. First the question of; what was the early training like for an Assassin? Accounts of the guilds trials attest that the future assassins were brought to Alamut at a young age and, while they matured a future assassin was subjected to rites in which he was made to believe that he was in imminent danger of death throughout the entire period of his training. Instilling a sort of sixth sense or Intuition if you will. Typically they approached using a disguise; their weapon of choice was a dagger, poison darts, bows and other weapons that allowed the attacker to escape. For unarmed combat, the Hashshashin practiced a fighting style called Janna which incorporates striking techniques, grappling and low kicks.

But what I'm trying to figure out is what is that dagger concealed in his arm? The Hashashin apparently did cut their index finger placing a ring and also installing a dagger or hook in its place upon completing there training but I can't make out if the dagger on Altair is connected to his finger or pulled out from his sleeve. Take a look at what I mean:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/2118/bsplayer200605168um.jpg

And this one its clear its on his finger:

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4593/conceptart13gx.gif

Next is the historical context in which the game is being developed with. The producer Jade Raymond says that the game is inspired by actual historical events. The nine individuals that are the targets for the player actually did die in the time period under the dagger of an Assassin. She also goes on to mention that the three historical cities within the game have been crafted and built almost to the last detail based on the actual topography of the cities in that time period. She also goes on to mention she realizes the political aspects of the game and says "they aren't taking any sides".

Ok what do I think about his game, I have no idea.. I'm really not interested at all in medieval history I've only studied ancient cultures dating back to antiquity. I will say if this game stays true to the details at hand, keeps fresh the experience not to go wayyyy out into fantasy (*cough*300*cough*) and of course not have any shady and redundant political undertones (*cough*Alexander*cough*) then this is going to be rump stopping fun! With that we'll just have to wait until it comes out ^^

I can't wait for this game.

Interview with Jade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RsbyOXCwg)

Bunny
04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Pretty much your only mentions of "historical accuracies" were taken directly from the wikipedia page on Hashshashin. The other half was just taken from common knowledge that everyone who has read or heard anything about this game already knows. Baaasically your post was useless. But who am I to judge.

I'm interested in the game but not interested enough to buy a PS3 or XBox 360. And my PC probably couldn't handle it. So meh.

Jowy
04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Pretty much your only mentions of "historical accuracies" were taken directly from the wikipedia page on Hashshashin. The other half was just taken from common knowledge that everyone who has read or heard anything about this game already knows. Baaasically all of your post(s) wasare useless. But who am I to judge.

I'm interested in the game but not interested enough to buy a PS3 or XBox 360. And my PC probably couldn't handle it. So meh.

I made some clever editing. 8-)

Diango12
04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Pretty much your only mentions of "historical accuracies" were taken directly from the wikipedia page on Hashshashin. The other half was just taken from common knowledge that everyone who has read or heard anything about this game already knows. Baaasically your post was useless. But who am I to judge.

I'm really not interested at all in medieval history I've only studied ancient cultures dating back to antiquity.

Anyway, searching around the internet

History has a pretty big lapse unless your willing to go through the time period of 6,000 thousand years I don't expect you quote me on what I post as relevant or not. I scrounged up what I could to give my two cents on the subject of historical accuracy and said my peace. If you or Jowy want to go "troll" against me then there's a quint 7 page thread in the lounge. Please refrain from making any demeaning posts in my thread at the very least.

Bunny
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I wasn't trolling against you. I was just pointing out the fact that, instead of quoting a source like most people would, you decided to include it in a paragraph surrounded by your own words. This makes it look as if it is your work and therefore counts as plagerism. As far as I can tell, not all of your post was in the words of another, therefore you should have seperated the two from each other.

You're the one who "had to" delve into the "historical accuracies" of a video game. The "two cents" you gave was actually maybe worth about a single cent, as the other penny belonged to another person.

Besides, why go to another thread when this is the one I have a problem with? If you have no, or little, interest in a subject, then you have no real business lording your supposed knowledge over other people. Especially when it extends to you copying it from a widely used site. If people wanted the information that you provided, they can go look it up on Wikipedia. You don't need to bring easily obtained knowledge to the masses. We already have it.

Diango12
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
No I was addressing the matter point due to this particular post here:

And I quote..
But this game isn't an accurate historical representation of how the Altair performed!

I wasn’t claiming you to be "trolling" against me but in a rather array of mixed messages I received that was the intention I was getting, refer to the thread in the lounge regarding "300".

Your obviously blowing this way out proportion, plagerism its actually spelled plagiarism first of all and second of all that’s ridicules by you're logic all research is plagiarism. You don’t account for on cent of knowledge towards your own self discovery. As I made clear and I quote.. "I searched the internet" which would clearly state that all this is not my own work but I can understand how you would want to contend otherwise, point out what I already made clear in the beginning sure just don’t be cynical about it.

And I'm not going to separate a few sentences just because someone wants to play the role of the plagiarism officer. I think I'll choose the format in which my posts take for myself thank you and I don't need someone to tell me what my two cents is worth.

And thats enough bantering I think you de-railed this thread far enough, anything else you have to say to me do it over PM.

JKTrix
04-05-2007, 08:12 PM
..plagerism its actually spelled plagiarism first of all and second of all that’s ridicules...

It's (http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html) spelled ridiculous (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?gwp=13&s=ridiculous). Don't be a grammar/spelling nazi (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?gwp=13&s=grammar%20nazi) if you can't be consistent. I really admire your passion about history, however.

Assassins Creed, woot.

Markus. D
04-05-2007, 08:16 PM
well not everyone has Firefox~

as for the game.

Spectacular looking ^_^

Diango12
04-05-2007, 08:35 PM
@JKTrix- Its actually "ridicules" being put in this case as a context for "to expose to ridicule; make fun of." The statement wasn’t at all absurd I was just pointing out what I defined as silly. However thank you for your concern nonetheless. Now could a mod please delete the convulsed build up spam taking place, thank you.

Jowy
04-05-2007, 08:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/psycho_mantis/delivers.jpg

I'd not waste my time PMing you since it's the equivalent of bashing my head against a brick wall. nyoro~n

Old Manus
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Posting in epic Assassin's Creed thread

I personally am wriggling with excitment for this game.

Diango12
04-05-2007, 09:13 PM
@Jowy- Go away

Maxico
04-05-2007, 09:21 PM
But what I'm trying to figure out is what is that dagger concealed in his arm? The Hashashin apparently did cut their index finger placing a ring and also installing a dagger or hook in its place upon completing there training but I can't make out if the dagger on Altair is connected to his finger or pulled out from his sleeve.

The dagger is concealed in a mechaism around his wrist, that springs the blade into place when triggered. When extended, the blade is held between his index and little finger, resting comfortably in the space where his ring finger used to be.

Diango12
04-05-2007, 09:32 PM
The dagger is concealed in a mechaism around his wrist, that springs the blade into place when triggered. When extended, the blade is held between his index and little finger, resting comfortably in the space where his ring finger used to be.

... cool! xD

I just found a video to confirm that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVlZDl_M21I) Pure awesome

Breine
04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I've been looking forward to this game for quite some time now. Mainly because it looks so darn good, but also because I'm a pretty big fan of the Prince of Persia series.

It'll probably be one of the first games that I'll buy when I finally get enough money to buy myself a PS3.

Spammerman
04-06-2007, 05:19 PM
When does it come out?

DeStyle
04-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Late 2007, if they won't delay it that is.

Those trailers made me nerd-gasm.

Markus. D
04-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I think the story behind his wrist dagger is interesting n_n-b

Spammerman
04-07-2007, 03:30 AM
Someone ruined my fun, I was thinking of a super long post to type and then someone said the answer:(

Diango12
04-07-2007, 04:28 AM
If it well worth the read then post it anyway

Spammerman
04-07-2007, 05:46 AM
It was in response to the knife thing.( Not super long, just it sounds good)

Altair, the main character, like all assassins in his sect, uses a mechanism that extends a knife to use as a weapon for killing. In the game, once they complete their training, have their ring finger cut off, not the index finger like you previously stated in a post. on the underside of his arm, once he balls his hand into a fist, the knife extends providing a deadly assassination weapon. in addition to this weaponry, the player can also use a sword for when he or she is cornered, or to provide help, such as cutting down a platform leg to produce a barricade. Also, he has ranged weapons, such as a small crossbow, seen in the cinematic not only to shoot at short range, but also to pull a enemy down( not sure if yo can actually do that), and small throwing knives strapped across the chest of Altair.

Diango12
04-07-2007, 06:05 AM
So were assuming this mechanism is of course held within his cloak. Then it must be simple in design, at the end of the video in clip one there's apparently this death screen and written on it is the word "shutdown" (oh and to ease the reference marsupials; this was taken from wikipedia :rolleyes2 ). Anyway apparently showing this is going to have the same time manipulation theme as prince of Persia (core team for PoP is also DEVing this game) . Sounds interesting maybe will see spin offs no doubt.

Good read by the way

Spammerman
04-07-2007, 06:11 AM
In theory, I think the weapon is simplistic in design allowing easy to learn manuevers or techniques. Also, the weapon is not concealed in the cloak, if you look at his arms, you will notice that he wears brown gauntlet(think thats what things like those are called). The knife is hidden in a metal bar on the underside of that(underside being the part that if your arms are straight down lay against your body. If you google Assassin's Creed on images, you should see a picture of it.

Diango12
04-07-2007, 06:18 AM
I see it now, yeah its in his gauntlet Concealed Blade (http://www.click2host.us/004/wallpaper_assassins_creed_01_1600.jpg)

I also noticed his hood is shaped like an eagles beak, naturally.

Spammerman
04-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Guessing that goes along with the name Altair.