PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl versus CD

blim
04-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Was just wondering as a result of a discussion at work earlier. How many people prefer vinyl to cd? I personally much prefer vinyl and wish more new bands would release on vinyl. What about everyone else?

For younger EOFFers ask your folks what vinyl is.

fire_of_avalon
04-05-2007, 01:55 AM
There should be a both option. :p

I like them both. CD's for their ease in use and sound quality. However, sometimes it's nice to get the cracks and pop vinyl delivers. For me, it's very nostalgic.

Araciel
04-05-2007, 01:58 AM
CD for true

XxSephirothxX
04-05-2007, 02:00 AM
There should be a both option. :p

I like them both. CD's for their ease in use and sound quality. However, sometimes it's nice to get the cracks and pop vinyl delivers. For me, it's very nostalgic.
:up:

Mirage
04-05-2007, 02:06 AM
CDs or DVD audio :p

Mitch
04-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Most new bands do release on vinyl. You just have to look for it.

Mirage
04-05-2007, 02:12 AM
"Most" is an overstatement :p.

rubah
04-05-2007, 02:30 AM
I think the neat thing about records is the form factor. You've got this big dang thing that you can watch spinning around. Plus there's more room for album art.

It's just very unwieldy. Also outmoded. The only modern band I've seen an LP from is Slipknot, but apparently soad has some too xD

I think I'd pick CDs though. more room to write to :] Records are mostly a novelty. It seems they've only recently (the last couple of years) surged in popularity, and people claim "audio fidelity" as a reason they could legitimately desire them, but I think it's just a novelty factor. I mean, that's what it is with me anyways xD

blim
04-05-2007, 02:35 AM
I think Kings of Leon release on vinyl too, and quite a few punk bands (esp smaller ones). There is something different about putting a record on i think, and i maintain analogue sounds better. The only downside is having to get up and turn it over half way through or when you accidentley leave "South of heaven" next to the radiator. :(

correction, just got the new Kings of Leon album and there is no Ukvinyl release date :(

theundeadhero
04-05-2007, 03:13 AM
I prefer Vinyl in every way. I hate it when old songs get digitally remastered. It makes them sound high pitched and digital. That sounds horrible with bands like CCR and Grateful Dead. You can get records of several bands from Nirvana to Marilyn Manson. They're not hard to find.

41-Inches-Wide
04-05-2007, 03:41 AM
Vinyl is so weird. It's such a large CD and expensive too.

Roto13
04-05-2007, 04:22 AM
Vinyl is a novelty, yeah. It's impractical, it wears out, it's big, it sound worse, and there's no way to play it in your car.

Rocket Edge
04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
CD's, because they're easy to use & sound good. Other than that, if you are playing dance music, Vinyl is king.

Pete for President
04-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Vinyl has style. Vinyl ftw.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm almost entirely beyond even CDs these days. I'm certainly not going to go in for vinyl.

Breine
04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, I have around 150 CDs and only one vinyl, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily prefer CDs over the old-school LPs. CDs have perfect sound, but then LPs have this very atmospheric sound to them.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, I have around 150 CDs and only one vinyl, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily prefer CDs over the old-school LPs. CDs have perfect sound, but then LPs have this very atmospheric sound to them.

I will never fathom the idea that imperfect is better than perfect.

blim
04-05-2007, 01:25 PM

I will never fathom the idea that imperfect is better than perfect.

Perfection is over-rated, the feeling is more important. which is probably why i also prefer the sloppy production values of punk to over-produced pop music. And Cd's don't have perfect sound many of the harmonics are lost through digitization (is that a word?).

fire_of_avalon
04-05-2007, 01:57 PM
That's the word. :)

Also, most bands actually do release LPs. The pressings are limited, and you typically have to go to a specialty store to find them. Most stores (especially big chains) don't sell them because there's not a lot of profit in them.

Bunny
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Vinyl is a novelty, yeah. It's impractical, it wears out, it's big, it sound worse, and there's no way to play it in your car.

I'm pretty sure there is. I have no idea how to do it because my extent of car-based knowledge is pretty much "Car go vroom, don't go boom." But I'm fairly sure I saw it on television one time.

I prefer CDs for their ease. But listening to Rush on vinyl is an absolutely fantastic thing to behold.

blim
04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Nothing better than putting Christ:The Album by Crass on the turntable (or Led Zep II), rolling a fat one and pouring some wine.

Maybe the vinyl just doesn't reach the UK, or at least my crappy town.

theundeadhero
04-05-2007, 04:24 PM
With older bands, the sound they were going for is played through the vinyl and that's the way they like it. Digitally remastering them changes it, making it imperfect. On every digitally remastered CD it says right there that since it was an analog production, things were lost in the digital reproduction. That's not perfection at all, or even close.

allflowerz
04-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll take the vinyl, somethin about the whole package, I like cds but they get scratched real easy and dont seem as timeless.

blim
04-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Its interesting that on another forum i frequent that is for musicians the same question is currently 100% in favour of vinyl

Shadowdust
04-06-2007, 07:16 AM
With older bands, the sound they were going for is played through the vinyl and that's the way they like it. Digitally remastering them changes it, making it imperfect. On every digitally remastered CD it says right there that since it was an analog production, things were lost in the digital reproduction. That's not perfection at all, or even close.

I'd have to agree. I was going through my aunt's old vinyl collection she left at my grandparents, and I came across Bad Company~10 from 6. Fortunately, they still have a record player and I played it, though I have it on CD, it just felt different. Needless to say, it was awesome.

Even then, I had to vote for the third option as I am just thankful to hear music no matter where it comes from.

El Bandito
04-06-2007, 08:12 AM
CD turntables are absolutely terrible compared to normal vinyl ones. There's just no replacement for the scratches and perfect sample loops you can achieve with vinyl.

That's the big reason for me that vinyl is still important.