PDA

View Full Version : God of War II: The End Begins

Moon Rabbits
04-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Has anyone played this? Better or worse than the original?

Details plz

Dreddz
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I dont own it, but I want to. Ill probably go back and finish beating the first game before I get the game.

From peoples reactions of the game, I'd assume its better, but I know a few people who dont think so. Still, all of them think its a great game.

Slothy
04-06-2007, 08:16 PM
The story's a little weaker, but still very good. Then again I haven't beaten it yet so that could change by the end. The gameplay has been improved on in almost every area where it was slightly less than perfect in the first game (not that that's very many areas, but it's still appreciated). I'd say it's better than the first.

The Last Ancient
04-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Worse imo.

Dreddz
04-07-2007, 03:41 PM
I just got round to beating God of War this morning, so I should be able to play the second by tonight, just need to burn it onto disc now.....

black orb
04-10-2007, 05:04 AM
>>> GoW games rule..

Araciel
04-10-2007, 05:44 AM
i think it's great...i don't know why you'd think the story is weak, though i've only played it for about 3 hours so far i think they did a great job of putting the K man back into a playable state and making it plausible

i think it's better than the first

Ishin Ookami
04-10-2007, 09:34 AM
I always thought the first one was overhyped. the gameplay was repetetive, and only really shined during the boss battles. The story was good, but the game was very short and all the extra's were fairly lame and uninteresting. I beat it in three days and traded in my copy for some GBA games that I still have and play.

As for the second, I'm going to rent it this time around and see if its really worthwhile. I got burned on the first one, and am not going to waste $50 on a average product again.

Slothy
04-10-2007, 12:07 PM
i think it's great...i don't know why you'd think the story is weak, though i've only played it for about 3 hours so far i think they did a great job of putting the K man back into a playable state and making it plausible

i think it's better than the first

The first game set you on a quest for revenge, and gradually revealed just why Kratos hated Ares so much. Not only did he have a damn good reason to stop at nothing to kill the god of war, he was probably one of the most tragic characters in recent gaming history. The second game has you out to kill Zeus for no other reason than he took your powers because you were as bad or worse than Ares. It's not until you get near the end of the game that you're given a better reason to want Zeus dead, but the story just lacks the emotional impact and the cool twists of the first game. It's good, but it's not as good. Like I said, I haven't quite beaten it though, so I can't say how it ends just yet.

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Im in the same boat as Vivi22, the story is lacking more than the first game. But I still think its quite good. I havent gotten far into the game ( Virtua Fighter 5 is consuming most of my time ) but so far its pretty great. The gameplay is better is some respect but It still feels just as button mashy as the first game. I still dont see much point in all the button combinations when mashing square does a better job.

Slothy
04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Call me crazy, but I actually found a lot of situations where mashing square was just about the least effective way to win the fight. It's usefulness definitely seemed to be a little more limited than in the last game. Granted, it works extremely well early on, but about mid way through the game I started relying on a variety of moves depending on the enemy. I've actually gotten killed several times by just trying to use square all the time, which is a nice change from the first game.

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Mashing square on an enemy is always enough to take down almost anyone, provided you know how to dodge their attacks by rolling from side to side. I used this tactic in the first game and have carried it onto the second. Button combinations help sometimes but to use them well you have to have a tactic that enables you to do them by taking the least amount of damage possible. I can do that but the tactic I already know works so Im not going to waste my time by trying to do other techniques. Im lazy, but all I really want to do is really just get to the boss fights, as they are always awesome.

JKTrix
04-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Square, Square, *R3 flick*, Square, Square, Square, *R3 flick*...

Works for pretty much the entire game. You can throw in some of the special moves or stronger combos once you get a sufficient advantage after a R3 flick dodge, but you can pretty much win with that setup.

Also, fast moving tip: R3 flick, Square (while rolling), R3 flick again when the first roll stops, Square again... rinse repeat. The Square attack cancels the 'roll' animation, and the roll itself cancels the Square attack animation, so you can move pretty fast.

In VF terms, it's the same principle as 'P-K-G' recovering faster than just 'P' alone.

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Square, Square, *R3 flick*, Square, Square, Square, *R3 flick*...

Thats exactly what I do. I sometimes throw in triangle at the end to finish it off with a powerful hit.

In VF terms, it's the same principle as 'P-K-G' recovering faster than just 'P' alone.

I found pressing back + P + K + G to be more effective in some circumstances. I found Akira the best to utilise this.