PDA

View Full Version : Ways to clean your hardrive

Dreddz
04-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Im in a little bit of a pickle, Im running low on space on my laptop. I only have 7GB's of my laptops 38GB's. I dont know how to obtain that space again, I went through all my files and documents and that 30GB's of space is no where to be seen. WHERE THE HELL IS IT!?. I need that space quite badly, and dont know where to look or how to look for it.

MecaKane
04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Check the properties on every folder in your C:, it'll tell you how much hd space is being used by the files and sub folders inside, and then open the folders that take up the most space, and keep doing that until you find the crap you don't want.

Dreddz
04-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I did that already, but theres still space missing. Is it possible I like......burnt my hardrive or something and rendered half of it useless.

I was able to delete the God of War 2 iso on my computer so I have 14GB now, better but I need more.

Discord
04-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I did that already, but theres still space missing. Is it possible I like......burnt my hardrive or something and rendered half of it useless.

I was able to delete the God of War 2 iso on my computer so I have 14GB now, better but I need more.

Have you checked your Program Files and Windows folder? Depending on the age of your system, the Windows can grow to enormous sizes. Also check, My Documents, etc.

PS: No, you can't half damage your HDD. Either it's working or it's dead.

rubah
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Are you using System Restore? How much space is that allotted?

Also download this application called Windirstat ( http://windirstat.info/ ) and it can give you a visual readout of how much space is taken up on your HDD and where.

Make sure you have your computer set to show hidden files and folders.

o_O
04-08-2007, 12:20 AM
I was going to suggest checking your system restore folder. It can get very large. If you have a lot of music and/or video, check how much space that is taking on your drive.
Open up your control panel and go to Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall anything that you don't need.

It's possible to format the drive with unusable disk space if you give it four primary partitions without using its full capacity. I doubt that's what has happened here though. :p

Discord
04-08-2007, 01:59 AM
I was going to suggest checking your system restore folder. It can get very large. If you have a lot of music and/or video, check how much space that is taking on your drive.
Open up your control panel and go to Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall anything that you don't need.

It's possible to format the drive with unusable disk space if you give it four primary partitions without using its full capacity. I doubt that's what has happened here though. :p

Uhuu, but burning (in all interpretations of that word) the HDD shouldn't do that too often.:D