PDA

View Full Version : Lord of The Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar

escobert
04-07-2007, 04:33 PM
So, I'm installing the beta right now. I got a free beta test version with PC gamer this month. Anyone else get and start yet? I'll post later on how things are.

Rostum
04-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I played in the closed beta, and had a chance to play in open beta. To me, it's basically a smaller version of World of Warcraft but with a Middle Earth setting and better graphics.

To be honest, I didn't really like the selection of jobs, except for Paladin. And the Elves look like crap, the only decent looking characters are Humans and Dwarves.

At the moment the community is pretty good, but so was World of Warcraft's during beta.

I don't know, I guess it's not really the game for me. I'd rather just play WoW as it's more established, and wait for newer and better MMO's to come out later this year or next year (not to mention most of them claim to be using DirectX10 which makes them look beautiful; ala Age of Conan).

Markus. D
04-08-2007, 01:10 AM
My friend and her boyfriend were Beta Testers :3

apparently there is... alot of quests x_x;

it looks really pretty on some screenshots they sent.

but apart from that. I don't really think I would go play it.

though I have been proven wrong with Lineage II before.

GF_Diablos
04-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I am playing the beta, got a human Captain, seems good but does anyone know what the party system is like?

[edit] Also you play Guild Wars TrowaBartonIV ^_^ ?
They just fucked over my main character (necro) with that soul reaping update! Man I am so angry with them.

blim
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Ive been playing the beta and cannot wait for the full game to be delivered. I have been really enjoying it, the graphics are fantastic the gameplay is intuitive and its middle earth. Ive not played WoW so i cannot compare the two but started FF XI at a similar time and much prefer LOTR. I also noticed that unlike FF XI you can create multiple characters, i hope that applies to the full game and not just the beta.

Elite Lord Sigma
04-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Other than the fact that it lags like there isn't a tomorrow whenever I try to play it while my brother plays Gears of War online, I like it so far. I haven't run into anybody online just yet, though.

escobert
04-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I am playing the beta, got a human Captain, seems good but does anyone know what the party system is like?

[edit] Also you play Guild Wars TrowaBartonIV ^_^ ?
They just smurfed over my main character (necro) with that soul reaping update! Man I am so angry with them.

yes, I do play GW :D I have a N/W but I hardly use him anymore. I've been playing since the release pretty much.

Rostum
04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Ive been playing the beta and cannot wait for the full game to be delivered. I have been really enjoying it, the graphics are fantastic the gameplay is intuitive and its middle earth. Ive not played WoW so i cannot compare the two but started FF XI at a similar time and much prefer LOTR. I also noticed that unlike FF XI you can create multiple characters, i hope that applies to the full game and not just the beta.

Well you can create more characters on FFXI, you just have to pay $1.00USD, which is absolute bs. And yeah, this kind of MMO (LotRO) is a lot easier to pick up.

blim
04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
think it costs more than that overhere unless i've misunderstood something, if it was only a quid i wouldn't be too bothered.

Also i like that on LOTRO you can pay £100 for lifetime membership rather than monthly fees.

Rostum
04-11-2007, 01:32 AM
think it costs more than that overhere unless i've misunderstood something, if it was only a quid i wouldn't be too bothered.

Also i like that on LOTRO you can pay £100 for lifetime membership rather than monthly fees.

I don't know where you live, but it's $1USD everywhere. It may seem like more due to currency conversion.

Yeah but if you start to lose interest in a few months and quit, well there goes your money. =P If you pre-order though, it's only $10USD a month instead of $15USD a month that it and every other MMO is asking for now.

escobert
04-11-2007, 01:43 AM
And that's why you should play GW so you can prepare to play GW2 and not have to pay again for a MMO

Rostum
04-11-2007, 01:58 AM
GW2 probably isn't going to be released until late 2008, early 2009. And GW isn't an MMO in my opinion. =P I don't mind paying monthly, it doesn't take much out of my pocket.

GF_Diablos
04-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Guild Wars is a fantastic game, I have been playing it from release too but I do agree with comments that it's not a full MMO, even ArenaNet themselves admit this (hence GW2)
If you want a free online game or just a game thats not as time consuming as a proper MMO then GW is by far the best option on the market.
After playing LOTR a bit more I have seen some annoying little thing (UI is one for me) but I am sure all this will be ironed out, especially as I hear you can make your own UI settings.
Everyone seems to be running around with a cape though, I want one!

Markus. D
04-12-2007, 01:03 PM

actually Blim you can switch to any job that is unlocked by your character.

so 1 character = ALOT to do in FFXI <3

blim
04-12-2007, 01:07 PM
yes i realise that. i meant you cannot play as a different race without paying extra. that said ive only just started FF XI so it would be a while before i get bored of my char.

Markus. D
04-12-2007, 01:11 PM
yes i realise that. i meant you cannot play as a different race without paying extra. that said ive only just started FF XI so it would be a while before i get bored of my char.

oh okay :]!

n_n

blim
04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Well the game proper has arrived and hopefully i might be able to get it to install eventually :( Who else from on here is getting it?

escobert
04-24-2007, 07:24 PM
It was a WoW clone to me and I wasn't a big WoW fan. I'll stick with Guild Wars.

Laddy
04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I've yet to play it, I might get a trial though. I hope it's not a WoW clone, WoW's so overrated. So, Bert, I, for one, feel you.

Markus. D
04-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Overrated is just an understatement.

:(

GF_Diablos
04-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I have been playing this for a week or so now and I have to say its an enjoyable game.
Level ramp is fairly gently inclined and it's got a nice combat and crafting system.
I have a friend code for a 7 day trial if any one wants to download the client and give it a go.

blim
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
never played WoW (yes there are some people who havent) so cannot compare but am loving LOTRO.

Laddy
04-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm going to get it real soon.

Could somebody give me a brief summary to the classes?

bipper
04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
I hope it is not another potion spamming, grind/gold farm game like all of codemasters other works

blim
04-26-2007, 10:04 PM
classes are Burglar, Captain, Champion, Guardian, Hunter, Lore master and minstrel. Champ and Guard are the strongest physically, Burglars have stealth but are weak when cornered , Captains are support classes but can fight well. Champions are your fast attacking types, Guardian is your tank, Hunter is basically a ranger, so traps, natural cures and decent attack (my choice). Lore masters kind of similar to white mage but bit more offensive (no i dontmean they swear a lot) and minstrel is weak offensively but good support.

Laddy
04-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Thank you massively, and what do races specialize in? (Planning my character, get the pun?)

Rostum
04-27-2007, 12:42 AM
That's not a pun. >.>;

Anyways, I played a Dwarf Gaurdian, he was awesome.

GF_Diablos
04-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Thank you massively, and what do races specialize in? (Planning my character, get the pun?)

There is very much a free structure with this regard. Try reading the LOTRO Wiki (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Main_Page) for more, basically Humans can do any class and each other race has 2 missed off their profession.

The exception is Captain which only humans can do. I am a captain it's a cool class, kinda like a red mage or bard.

blim
05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
GF_Diablos, are you on the UK servers? (noticed a post by you on their forum so assuming so) If so which one? Could get a kinship of FF-fans (or EOFFers if there are enough) together.

Madame Adequate
05-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I hope it is not another potion spamming, grind/gold farm game like all of codemasters other works

I know, right? I really can't stand all that stuff in Micro Machines.

bipper
05-22-2007, 08:05 PM

I know, right? I really can't stand all that stuff in Micro Machines.

:p referring to thier mmo's. Rf Online and Archlord, being my prime examples. But yeah, I did stay a little broad there. I am just not impressed with their takes on MMO

fantasyjunkie
05-24-2007, 09:42 AM
I have been playing since release 3 weeks ago and I LOVE it! It captures the feel of Middle Earth. I have run across one or two bugs so far, which isnt too shabby for a launch and the graphics are pretty good.
One thing I do not like though is not having your camera snap back behind your toon after letting go of the left button. That feature was really nice in WoW. And the auction window is not as polished as WoW also.
Those are minor things though. I'll be playing this for a while.

Discord
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
There's no demo for this game, is there?

escobert
05-24-2007, 07:03 PM
no there isn't.

Discord
05-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Alright, thanks. That's a pity.:(

blim
05-25-2007, 06:37 AM
If you get a "buddy code" off someone and download the client you can try it for 7 days

Markus. D
05-25-2007, 07:10 AM
The Minstral is obviously the besterest class <3

I <3 playing it <333