PDA

View Full Version : Mssnger.exe Process Problem

Baloki
04-09-2007, 03:55 PM
So I remotely logged onto my computer the other day (yesterday) and saw a big warning box from Norton, "Would you like to allow mssnger.exe to access the internet?", I obviously clicked no as I know MSN Live Messenger uses the name msnmessenger. Did a virus scan and it detected some spyware and removed it and restarted. Obviously when I restarted VNC hasn't restarted so I haven't been able to get back on, but I was just wondering does anyone know what this mssnger.exe thing is? Whenever I google it it just asks me to correct the spelling.

Moon Rabbits
04-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Never heard of it, sounds suspicious. Maybe do a search for mssnger.exe on your HDD?

XxSephirothxX
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Could it just be Windows Messenger that comes with XP? I don't know what its process name is.

Baloki
04-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Could it just be Windows Messenger that comes with XP? I don't know what its process name is.

Norton ID'd it for removal but I couldn't view what it actually was cos I was remotely connected :(

Endless
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Messenger's name is msnmsgr.exe, that one sounds really suspicious.

Baloki
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
So I got back tonight and Norton has removed it, however now I cannot get online as the MS firewall service won't start and without that I cannot start the DHCP services or Internet Connection Sharing services, both of which I need to connect via a gateway...

Is there any way to fix this or is a reformat the only option?

Rostum
04-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Norton sucks.

Baloki
04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Fixed Windows the old fashion way, by upgradin Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro, odd but it worked xD