PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista: Buggier than a picnic in late summer

Renmiri
04-10-2007, 12:27 AM
:mad: No good sound drivers, Firefox crashes, every little software has weird colors, hickups or some quirky behavior... I hate it!!! :mad:

I suggest you avoid it like the plague for at least 6 months!!!!

loben
04-10-2007, 12:53 AM
pretty much. I remeber when windows xp was like that....

Callisto
04-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Wow. I'm surprised Vista recognized your approval to post that...

Tavrobel
04-10-2007, 01:10 AM
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20070331.jpg

SeeDRankLou
04-10-2007, 01:31 AM
I got a free Vista upgrade when I bought my new Dell computer, and it came with this Dell Upgrade Companion disc, which pretty much fixed most all of the bugs associated with the Dell programs. And there is an option to run programs in an XP SP 2 compatibility, which fixed the bugs in Diablo 2 and WoW (Final Fantasy XI is surprisingly doing fine). There was finally a fix for this program that was causing a stacking dump issue, or whatever the hell was going on. So as soon as Creative gets off of their butts and makes a Vista compatible version of their software so I can have 3-D sound again (not that I'm missing it all that much) I'll be set.

escobert
04-10-2007, 02:21 AM
I like my XP 64 bit edition thx.

Christmas
04-10-2007, 02:26 AM
MY WINDOWS 95 OWNZ ALL.

Bunny
04-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Thanks for being a sheep.

utelektr
04-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Mmm, luckily I isn't getting it.

Avahne
04-10-2007, 03:29 AM
From the experience I have had with it, I see it as a move in the right direction. However, I'll definitely be waiting a year or two before switching to it - most likely until I get a version with a new computer.

o_O
04-10-2007, 03:41 AM
Hear hear. The betas were even worse.

Time to install a real operating system? :p

Pike
04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm glad I'm never going to have to use it XD

Loony BoB
04-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Read: They're improving, and will more than likely continue to do so.

Give 'em time.

Renmiri
04-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Tavrobel, you described the experience perfectly!!!

I hate it with a passion but it came with my new PC so I'm leery of downgrading it to XP. But it is so bad a lot of people on the HP forum have already downgraded their laptops.

The worst part is the sound. My sound card has no good driver for Vista and I'm forced to use the new Windows Sound Mixer which reeks! It mixes all sounds with the mike input, making anything that plays on the laptop garbled with dog barks, kids runing around, etc... In echo!!! When I disable the mike - get this - it disables all sound.

Grrrrr!!!! :mad:

Rokk
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I won't be buying it for a good half year... I got a "customer preivew beta" disk, and tried it out. And 3/4 months later i am quite happy with XP...

But then again i suppose the best way to fix the bugs is to have consumer feedback.. But it still was too early to release... they should have stuck with beta for longer to make it less buggy.

Iceglow
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I've been using vista since January on my new Toshiba laptop and I have to admit I haven't had any of the problems you people are experiencing. I have no issue with the software but I will suggest making a wait before upgrading to vista oh and Firefox runs perfectly fine for me no problems there at all. Only on some sites (namely Facebook when I try and create/edit a gallery) do I have problems.

Setzer Gabianni
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I'll get Vista when XP becomes officially useless.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I only started using Windows XP a year ago and I love her to bits. I think I'll move to Vista in another few (five?) years or so.

Baloki
04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Installing Vista seems to be the issue I'm having but I might just have a dodgy copy *considers reburning the iso his Uni gave him...*

Rokk
04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Ohhh it just occurred to me;

The mac adverts will love this!

Mirage
04-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Wonder how well pre-OSX software runs on todays MACs. Just a thought.

escobert
04-10-2007, 08:02 PM

It doesn't. 8.6 was the last system to run all the old shizzle. Thank god my imac is 8.6 :p

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Vista does have some issues, but it does have some major improvements over XP. I use Vista and the only thing that pisses me off is the sound drivers. Oh, and its kinda messed up the volume control, it does go from quiet to louder, but doesnt tell you how loud and how quiet, it just says its always on max. Other than that, It has never crashed my computer, its more efficient with programs. I mean, say when I try to convert files, or convert files on DVD etc. It takes only half the time on Vista that it would take on XP, big bonus points there. Vista's layout is alot better than XP, even if it copied Mac. Oh, and it looks puuuurrrty.

Im still not fond of Vista......or XP......or any Windows computer. Im getting a Macbook Pro as soon as I get the money. I have 2 Mac's in my house, a G4 and a G5. Both superior to Windows in almost every way, apart from gaming, which isnt important people!

escobert
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Im still not fond of Vista......or XP......or any Windows computer. Im getting a Macbook Pro as soon as I get the money. I have 2 Mac's in my house, a G4 and a G5. Both superior to Windows in almost every way, apart from gaming, which isnt important people!

it is when you only own a N64 :p and you do 95% of your gaming on your PC.

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
I guess, but it funny that the only argument against the Mac is gaming. Not everyone is a gamer, people....oops I mean kids should realise this by now.

Mirage
04-10-2007, 08:22 PM

It doesn't. 8.6 was the last system to run all the old shizzle. Thank god my imac is 8.6 :p

See? Windows at least tries to be backwards compatible.

Lynx
04-10-2007, 08:24 PM
convert to Linux it can be a pain at first but its fast.

Yamaneko
04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I thought OSX ran OS* apps in Classic mode.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-10-2007, 09:18 PM
convert to Linux it can be a pain at first but its fast.

Two pains: GRUB and LILO. :p

rubah
04-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Read: They're improving, and will more than likely continue to do so.

Why didn't they do the improvements before release?

[quote=Mirage;2157101]Wonder how well pre-OSX software runs on todays MACs. Just a thought.

See? Windows at least tries to be backwards compatible.

You mean like with Rosetta?

Backwards compatability is what makes windows the giant piece of bloated hackware that it is.

It sounds wonderful, you can keep your software forever! but it applies stagnation to the OS. After five years, it's usually time to reinvent the wheel, or at least refine it and make it roll better.

needing to repurchase the software is a silly idea anyways. People turn to open source for what they can't or aren't willing to pirate (at least in the public)

Shoeberto
04-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I guess, but it funny that the only argument against the Mac is gaming. Not everyone is a gamer, people....oops I mean kids should realise this by now.
You're defending something against a topic it's not even under attack for.

I will not be installing Vista any time soon. I am quite happy with what I have.

Mirage
04-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Too bad opensource alternatives aren't always an option.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
It sounds wonderful, you can keep your software forever! but it applies stagnation to the OS. After five years, it's usually time to reinvent the wheel, or at least refine it and make it roll better.

That's true, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to play Interstate '76 under Windows XP. :)

Evastio
04-11-2007, 12:09 AM
:mad: No good sound drivers, Firefox crashes, every little software has weird colors, hickups or some quirky behavior... I hate it!!! :mad:

I suggest you avoid it like the plague for at least 6 months!!!!
Sounds like my old computer back in 2000.

Yamaneko
04-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Rosetta isn't the same thing. Rosetta emulates PPC apps on the x86 architecture. Classic is OS9 emulation for PPC OSX (which obviously doesn't work for OSx86).

Shlup
04-11-2007, 03:00 AM
I like Vista just fine. Some sites do cause Firefox to freeze though, so that sucks. But other than that it's fine.

escobert
04-11-2007, 03:03 AM
I thought OSX ran OS* apps in Classic mode.

I think maybe anything past 8.6. so 9? I think 8.6 was the last time they used that system structure and after they changed to what X is.

rubah
04-11-2007, 03:31 AM
Rosetta isn't the same thing. Rosetta emulates PPC apps on the x86 architecture. Classic is OS9 emulation for PPC OSX (which obviously doesn't work for OSx86).

I see; I'd been wondering what exactly it was

Peegee
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
When windows vista came out I ran right up to the interwebs and got me windows server 2003.

I rule.