PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear or Resident Evil

Alex151
04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Well to help me quit smoking me and my friend made a bet, If I quit he had to watch an hour of Bruce Springsteen Live at Barcelona, and If I didn't then I would have to watch him beat all three Metal Gear Solids

well I started dipping for a while and I felt that I cheated him, so I offered for him to watch a half an hour of bruce, and I'd watch him beat either RE or MG.

So which do you guys think I should watch him play, because I've only played 15minutes of each and dont know what to pick.

btw since then I have quit dipping and smoking so the bet definitely helped.

Jowy
04-10-2007, 05:45 PM
That depends if he's skipping cutscenes or not. =P

You're going to get a better storyline experience if you watch him play Metal Gear. Except for Sons of Liberty, because that just stops being coherent at the end. Resident Evil's story isn't as captivating, yet the gameplay seems to make up for it.

Alex151
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
no, both games all the way through

Jowy
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Go with Metal Gear then. ;o

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I like Metal Gear and all but Resident Evil definately takes it. Not RE4 though, just the first three and CV.

Alex151
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah I'm only watching him play either of the first games

Pete for President
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
yeah I'm only watching him play either of the first games

I'd say Metal gear then, in my opinion the best in the series. I never finished RE 1 though, but it should be interesting aswell.

kikimm
04-11-2007, 12:24 AM
I say go for Resident Evil. I watched my brother play through that not too long ago, actually, and it was really fun. I liked Metal Gear Solid a lot, but I don't think I'd have a ton of fun watching it. Besides, MGS is way longer.

KentaRawr!
04-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Well, it depends. Which game do you play a LOT? And which one does he suck at?

If you gave the same answer for both questions, go with that one. It's aggrovating watching somebody who sucks at a video game when you know everything about it. Plus, it will take longer.

Mirage
04-11-2007, 12:59 AM

You're going to get a better storyline experience if you watch him play Metal Gear. Except for Sons of Liberty, because that just stops being coherent at the end. Resident Evil's story isn't as captivating, yet the gameplay seems to make up for it.

It's not Kojima's fault you lack lack brain capacity.

Alex151
04-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Well, it depends. Which game do you play a LOT? And which one does he suck at?

If you gave the same answer for both questions, go with that one. It's aggrovating watching somebody who sucks at a video game when you know everything about it. Plus, it will take longer.

well I've never played either for more than 15 minutes, and I guess he's good at both. I've always wanted to play MGS 1, Resident Evil I only played when I was like 7 years old and I was too afraid to do anything after I saw the first zombie so I never got into the RE games.

Khaotic
04-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Absolutely Resident Evil, MGS is not the type of game you watch someone play, it would be terribly boring. MGS is a fun game, if you're the one playing. However, in RE, it'll be like watching a horror movie, in its own way, which is better than nothing.

Slothy
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
I'd personally find watching MGS better than watching any RE game, especially RE1. At least MGS has a great story to get wrapped up in. Frequent backtracking is never fun and blowing off zombie heads is a lot more fun when you're doing it. MGS's story can be enjoyed whether you're playing or not though.

Fonzie
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4438/fallingdownvj8.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Anyone that played MGS: Son's of Liberty will get this above gif.

Breine
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Metal Gear Solid has an amazing story.

Jowy
04-11-2007, 03:38 PM

It's not Kojima's fault you lack lack brain capacity.

:aimmad:

You know you got confused at least ONCE. =P

Mirage
04-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Maybe, but I got it in the end. It's not fun if you get it all without having to think on it.

Jowy
04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, yeah. It makes sense at the end. But when Roy Campbell is going on about needing scissors, you're totally naked, find out your girlfriend is a simulation, and all of the other crap they threw at you during those codec conversations it takes a bit to decipher. =P

Mirage
04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Your girlfriend isn't a simulation though, just on certain frequencies.

Jowy
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Eh, close enough. You don't get to see her in person until the very end anyway.

Shiny
04-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Metal Gear Solid seems like it has more cinematics and definitely more of a storyline. The voice actors don't suck in MGS like they do in RE1. Hopefully, it will be more of a pleasant experience.

Nominus Experse
04-12-2007, 04:39 AM
One, you shoot the heads off Zombies with shotguns.
The other is creeping about and killing :skull::skull::skull::skull: quietly.

Watching zombies and the like get shot up is much more enjoyable than a man playing hide-and-seek.

Mirage
04-12-2007, 04:48 AM
Eh, close enough. You don't get to see her in person until the very end anyway.
Well, you do talk with the real Rose several times, and Jack had certainly met her prior to the game.

And you don't have to be playing hide and seek. I frequently go nuts with an AK or something similar.

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Good lord do MGS. RE1 is bad... and not in a good way... Believe me the nth time you start screaming at him to turn around and cap the zombie coming from behind, but he can't cause the game has the worst controls ever will grate on your nerves.:mad:

MGS is like watching a movie, RE is six hours of looking for stupid puzzle pieces and finally getting some bad B movie stortelling in the last 30 minutes of the game.

But I'm bias cause I love my MGS:love: and I absolutely hate Resident Evil. Zombies are not real threats people. We learned this in Castlevania. Zombies are the useless cannon fodder you deal with until you run into something that's actually a real threat:rolleyes2

Besides, Psycho Mantis is a better boss fight than... well let's be honest... anything the first three RE threw at you.

blackmage_nuke
04-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Well I havent seen Resident Evil but i know Metal Gear Solid has smoking in it, (used as a form of tool on occasion) so it might slightly provoke/promote you lighting one up (which really defeats the purpose of the "punishment").
However it delivers the message that smoking slowly drains your life and if you have a cig then smoking it for a few minutes will indeed kill you :skull:
But MGS is good fun [atleast you dont have to watch him play all 5 games (or more) in the entire metal gear series]
And if it were me i would enjoy watching as long as the playee edit: player (what was i thinking) had finished the game before and knew what they were doing.

psyniac_123
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
I love both but go with RE if it's the remake version.

I like Metal Gear and all but Resident Evil definately takes it. Not RE4 though, just the first three and CV.

Here, here. I liked RE4, it was great, but the others are so much better and what Resi is supposed to be. Horror/thriller, not action/adventure.

Absolutely Resident Evil, MGS is not the type of game you watch someone play, it would be terribly boring. MGS is a fun game, if you're the one playing. However, in RE, it'll be like watching a horror movie, in its own way, which is better than nothing.

And again; agreed.

But I'm bias cause I love my MGS:love: and I absolutely hate Resident Evil. Zombies are not real threats people. We learned this in Castlevania. Zombies are the useless cannon fodder you deal with until you run into something that's actually a real threat:rolleyes2

Buy this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/071563318X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-2802979-0159027?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176370077&sr=8-1) NOW, plz :)

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2007, 10:31 PM

Buy this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/071563318X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-2802979-0159027?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176370077&sr=8-1) NOW, plz :)

I've read it before and my feelings still stand... In fact the only good (and somewhat accurate) zombie game is Dead Rising. Face it, the only thing zombies have going for them is numbers.

And nothing is more pathetic than watching supposedly expert "special forces" agent get handed their ass by a slow moving rotting corpse that can be smacked out of the way if you move fast enough but apparently the cast of RE come from a unit where "special" has a different meaning than what we are led to believe. I bet they took the special small helicopter to get there:rolleyes2

Besides, you seem to keep forgetting that 90% of RE1 is composed of finding random objects to open secret passage ways and requires an insane and tedious level of back tracking. I would say RE is the game that is more interesting to play than watch. At least MGS has good acting and a wonderful story.

Alex151
04-12-2007, 10:54 PM

I've read it before and my feelings still stand... In fact the only good (and somewhat accurate) zombie game is Dead Rising. Face it, the only thing zombies have going for them is numbers.

I must disagree with you

zombies ate my neighbors was a wonderful game:D

Wolf Kanno
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
[

I must disagree with you

zombies ate my neighbors was a wonderful game:D

Pwnd!

Yeah, I always seem to forget about that little gem:p

Croyles
04-13-2007, 10:14 PM
(RE1 Remake = best RE1 yet + RE4 = best RE to watch someone play +
RE4 > MGS in audience fun factor) - my opinion.

Damn I need to go to bed.:mog:

Slothy
04-14-2007, 04:07 AM
(RE1 Remake = best RE1 yet + RE4 = best RE to watch someone play +
RE4 > MGS in audience fun factor) - my opinion.

Damn I need to go to bed.:mog:

Are you kidding? RE4 is both much too long, and far too repetitive to be any fun to watch for more than half an hour or so. At least the earlier RE's had the fact that you can generally beat them in under 3 hours going for them. I'd take watching MGS over watching any RE myself.

Croyles
04-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Nope, not kidding.

The Real Dark Messenger
04-15-2007, 05:50 PM
I have to say "Metal Gear"! No doubt about it.

Saku
04-23-2007, 03:46 AM
I'm going to say.....
Resident Evil!

I'm a little more familiar with REsident Evil then MSG, but you should play Resident Evil... in a dark room... with surround sound.
Its always dead quiet... before a boss....

Ramza Beoulve
04-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Metal Gear Solid, all the way